North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 13 4 5239 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

11 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm #61
I'd suggest leaving it for a while yet if you're only going for the Cobalt B9s though... You're probably more likely go have all of the Fab56s out in service by then.
Dan
11 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm #61

I'd suggest leaving it for a while yet if you're only going for the Cobalt B9s though... You're probably more likely go have all of the Fab56s out in service by then.

Malarkey

11 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm #62
(11 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm)Dan I'd suggest leaving it for a while yet if you're only going for the Cobalt B9s though... You're probably more likely go have all of the Fab56s out in service by then.

The cobalt are getting there Rear Destination Blinds changed aren't they, so I guess it would make sense to perhaps leave it for a while as thinking about I doubt they'll be out in Service Tomorrow or Early Next Week for that matter, are any of them even Branded yet Dan.
Malarkey
11 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm #62

(11 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm)Dan I'd suggest leaving it for a while yet if you're only going for the Cobalt B9s though... You're probably more likely go have all of the Fab56s out in service by then.

The cobalt are getting there Rear Destination Blinds changed aren't they, so I guess it would make sense to perhaps leave it for a while as thinking about I doubt they'll be out in Service Tomorrow or Early Next Week for that matter, are any of them even Branded yet Dan.

Dan

Site Administrator

11 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm #63
(11 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm)Adam Malarkey The cobalt are getting there Rear Destination Blinds changed aren't they, so I guess it would make sense to perhaps leave it for a while as thinking about I doubt they'll be out in Service Tomorrow or Early Next Week for that matter, are any of them even Branded yet Dan.

Not to my knowledge, but I haven't had any updates for the past few days.

As per photos of Riverside, it certainly looks like they're all still there rather than at SMR.

Imagine they'll want rid of Deptford's B9s before they even start the Percy Main ones.
Dan
11 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm #63

(11 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm)Adam Malarkey The cobalt are getting there Rear Destination Blinds changed aren't they, so I guess it would make sense to perhaps leave it for a while as thinking about I doubt they'll be out in Service Tomorrow or Early Next Week for that matter, are any of them even Branded yet Dan.

Not to my knowledge, but I haven't had any updates for the past few days.

As per photos of Riverside, it certainly looks like they're all still there rather than at SMR.

Imagine they'll want rid of Deptford's B9s before they even start the Percy Main ones.

Malarkey

11 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm #64
(11 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm)Dan Not to my knowledge, but I haven't had any updates for the past few days.

Yeah that does seem a more Logical Option, Hopefully all the Fabs including the Red Spares will be out come Tuesday...Fingers Crossed, Just thinking a little bit ahead of myself here, but perhaps the Cobalts could be out on the 26th January when all the Service Changes occur.
Malarkey
11 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm #64

(11 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm)Dan Not to my knowledge, but I haven't had any updates for the past few days.

Yeah that does seem a more Logical Option, Hopefully all the Fabs including the Red Spares will be out come Tuesday...Fingers Crossed, Just thinking a little bit ahead of myself here, but perhaps the Cobalts could be out on the 26th January when all the Service Changes occur.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 11:54 am #65
Right, so for my big trip for the start of the year, I'll be going to Edinburgh, a city I have no idea about. I'll be booking train tickets as soon as I can, but want some advice on where to go, best train company etc.

Any help would be much appreciated Wink
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 11:54 am #65

Right, so for my big trip for the start of the year, I'll be going to Edinburgh, a city I have no idea about. I'll be booking train tickets as soon as I can, but want some advice on where to go, best train company etc.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2014, 11:59 am #66
(12 Jan 2014, 11:54 am)Tom Right, so for my big trip for the start of the year, I'll be going to Edinburgh, a city I have no idea about. I'll be booking train tickets as soon as I can, but want some advice on where to go, best train company etc.

I usually go with East Coast but have gone with Cross Country in the past because it's been a few quid cheaper.
Book early enough in advance and you can get there and back for less than a tenner as a child.

I've always been to Edinburgh with friends who live there, but I find Edinburgh is pretty easy to navigate around.
Princes Street is your main place for buses, and about 5-10 minutes away is the bus station. No Lothian there though.

Some of the depots are literally a one to two minute walk away from bus stops too which is great.
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 11:59 am #66

(12 Jan 2014, 11:54 am)Tom Right, so for my big trip for the start of the year, I'll be going to Edinburgh, a city I have no idea about. I'll be booking train tickets as soon as I can, but want some advice on where to go, best train company etc.

I usually go with East Coast but have gone with Cross Country in the past because it's been a few quid cheaper.
Book early enough in advance and you can get there and back for less than a tenner as a child.

I've always been to Edinburgh with friends who live there, but I find Edinburgh is pretty easy to navigate around.
Princes Street is your main place for buses, and about 5-10 minutes away is the bus station. No Lothian there though.

Some of the depots are literally a one to two minute walk away from bus stops too which is great.

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm #67

As Dan said CrossCountry can sometimes be cheaper, but if you sign up with EastCoast you can get points for each booking you make.
If you do it regularly, they quickly add up for free tickets.

Family Railcards are valid too and are an excellent way of bumping up your points!

1 pt for every pound spent in normal and 1.5 for 1st class.

The East Coast trains don't stink of crap either.

Waverley is a bit of a maze mind.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm #67

As Dan said CrossCountry can sometimes be cheaper, but if you sign up with EastCoast you can get points for each booking you make.
If you do it regularly, they quickly add up for free tickets.

Family Railcards are valid too and are an excellent way of bumping up your points!

1 pt for every pound spent in normal and 1.5 for 1st class.

The East Coast trains don't stink of crap either.

Waverley is a bit of a maze mind.

Adrian

12 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm #68

If it was me, I'd rather wait for the East Coast rather than Cross Country, but they both take the same amount of time.

I've never really spent a lot of time in Edinburgh but you might be best off just looking at the Lothian route map, and travelling around based on where you'll see multiple services passing at a high frequency.

If you set off early enough, it's probably worth getting train tickets to/from Glasgow Queen Street, and have a few hours over there too. There's a train between the two every 15 minutes and it only takes 50 minutes. There's had been a lot of First repaints happening last time I was over Glasgow, and of course McGills and the Stagecoach express (coach) services are there too.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm #68

If it was me, I'd rather wait for the East Coast rather than Cross Country, but they both take the same amount of time.

I've never really spent a lot of time in Edinburgh but you might be best off just looking at the Lothian route map, and travelling around based on where you'll see multiple services passing at a high frequency.

If you set off early enough, it's probably worth getting train tickets to/from Glasgow Queen Street, and have a few hours over there too. There's a train between the two every 15 minutes and it only takes 50 minutes. There's had been a lot of First repaints happening last time I was over Glasgow, and of course McGills and the Stagecoach express (coach) services are there too.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm #69
Thanks all! - Edinburgh seems a very interesting places for buses!

I think I'll book tickets with East Coast, trains seem a bit nicer to be honest, a few quid doesn't bother me Smile

And Dan, is there normally anything exciting in the depots?
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm #69

Thanks all! - Edinburgh seems a very interesting places for buses!

I think I'll book tickets with East Coast, trains seem a bit nicer to be honest, a few quid doesn't bother me Smile

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm #70
(12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm)Tom Thanks all! - Edinburgh seems a very interesting places for buses!

If you are going with the family, can't recommended the family railcard high enough, particularly if you travel a few times over the year.

Glasgow is worth a visit as aureolin suggested - inc the operators he mentioned,there are independents and the transport museum.
Cracking Mexican (Pinto) across George Sq from Queen Street too.
Edited 12 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm #70

(12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm)Tom Thanks all! - Edinburgh seems a very interesting places for buses!

If you are going with the family, can't recommended the family railcard high enough, particularly if you travel a few times over the year.

Glasgow is worth a visit as aureolin suggested - inc the operators he mentioned,there are independents and the transport museum.
Cracking Mexican (Pinto) across George Sq from Queen Street too.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm #71
(12 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm)andreos1 If you are going with the family, can't recommended the family railcard high enough, particularly if you travel a few times over the year.

Cracking Mexican takeaway across George Sq from Queen Street too.

I'll see, it's a possibility Wink

Mmm! I love Mexican food, if I do I will grab some of that for my return journey.
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 12:19 pm #71

(12 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm)andreos1 If you are going with the family, can't recommended the family railcard high enough, particularly if you travel a few times over the year.

Cracking Mexican takeaway across George Sq from Queen Street too.

I'll see, it's a possibility Wink

Mmm! I love Mexican food, if I do I will grab some of that for my return journey.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm #72
(12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm)Tom And Dan, is there normally anything exciting in the depots?

I quite like Marine as there's usually a few buses outside. With a good enough zoom camera, you can get some great shots. I'm yet to upload the photos from my previous two Edinburgh adventures, but Stuart Montgomery has some fantastic photos taken from outside the gates similar to my own which I'm yet to upload.

[Image: 11133409974_00758362e3_z.jpg]

On my next trip (looking to be later in the year - March at the latest - to have the greatest amount of sunlight hours), I was going to get an early train up to Glasgow too and heading back to finish the day in Edinburgh as aureolin suggested above. Just to spice things up a bit.
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm #72

(12 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm)Tom And Dan, is there normally anything exciting in the depots?

I quite like Marine as there's usually a few buses outside. With a good enough zoom camera, you can get some great shots. I'm yet to upload the photos from my previous two Edinburgh adventures, but Stuart Montgomery has some fantastic photos taken from outside the gates similar to my own which I'm yet to upload.

On my next trip (looking to be later in the year - March at the latest - to have the greatest amount of sunlight hours), I was going to get an early train up to Glasgow too and heading back to finish the day in Edinburgh as aureolin suggested above. Just to spice things up a bit.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm #73
(12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm)Dan I quite like Marine as there's usually a few buses outside. With a good enough zoom camera, you can get some great shots. I'm yet to upload the photos from my previous two Edinburgh adventures, but Stuart Montgomery has some fantastic photos taken from outside the gates similar to my own which I'm yet to upload.

Think I will too, if not, Glasgow will be left until another time Wink

Summer Holidays probably, but if it's only 50 mins away then.....
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm #73

(12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm)Dan I quite like Marine as there's usually a few buses outside. With a good enough zoom camera, you can get some great shots. I'm yet to upload the photos from my previous two Edinburgh adventures, but Stuart Montgomery has some fantastic photos taken from outside the gates similar to my own which I'm yet to upload.

Think I will too, if not, Glasgow will be left until another time Wink

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm #74

Argyle Street by Central Station is always jam packed with buses.
There is a one way loop around and under the station and as well as the local services,you get the independents and distance stuff.
Buchannan Street is also good.

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm #74

Argyle Street by Central Station is always jam packed with buses.
There is a one way loop around and under the station and as well as the local services,you get the independents and distance stuff.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm #75
(12 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm)Tom Think I will too, if not, Glasgow will be left until another time Wink

How early into this year are you thinking about going up like? Depending on how many times you want to actually visit, it could be better to delay this trip slightly. There is of course the SVBM and the Lothian Open Doors Day to look forward to later in the year, and it seems a great deal of expense if you're wanting to visit more places as opposed to one place multiple times.

With it being my final year of school I break up on Friday 13th June and don't go back until Tuesday 9th September (if memory serves), which is a whopping 12 weeks off.
I'll have plenty of time for trips out then (and I'll be able to space them out a lot more than last year when I was cramming them into 8 weeks), but you'll obviously have a lot less time and it depends on how many places you want to go to.
Dan
12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm #75

(12 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm)Tom Think I will too, if not, Glasgow will be left until another time Wink

How early into this year are you thinking about going up like? Depending on how many times you want to actually visit, it could be better to delay this trip slightly. There is of course the SVBM and the Lothian Open Doors Day to look forward to later in the year, and it seems a great deal of expense if you're wanting to visit more places as opposed to one place multiple times.

With it being my final year of school I break up on Friday 13th June and don't go back until Tuesday 9th September (if memory serves), which is a whopping 12 weeks off.
I'll have plenty of time for trips out then (and I'll be able to space them out a lot more than last year when I was cramming them into 8 weeks), but you'll obviously have a lot less time and it depends on how many places you want to go to.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm #76
(12 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm)andreos1 Argyle Street by Central Station is always jam packed with buses.

Thanks again. Lothian Buses seem a excellent buses, and I want to have a ride on some of their buses, so not entirley sure if I will make it to Glasgow. Sometime in the future I'd like to go to Dumfries and Galloway though!

I'll be making trips to other places further away like London, The Lake District, Carlisle and Barcelona, so plenty of photo opportunities and an improved amount of uploaded to Flickr this year.
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm #76

(12 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm)andreos1 Argyle Street by Central Station is always jam packed with buses.

Thanks again. Lothian Buses seem a excellent buses, and I want to have a ride on some of their buses, so not entirley sure if I will make it to Glasgow. Sometime in the future I'd like to go to Dumfries and Galloway though!

I'll be making trips to other places further away like London, The Lake District, Carlisle and Barcelona, so plenty of photo opportunities and an improved amount of uploaded to Flickr this year.

Adrian

12 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm #77

There's a lot going round St George's square, on towards St Vincent Street. The airport express services run around there too. North Hanover Street is also good for grabbing the to and from Buchanan bus station.

Adrian
12 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm #77

There's a lot going round St George's square, on towards St Vincent Street. The airport express services run around there too. North Hanover Street is also good for grabbing the to and from Buchanan bus station.

Tom

12 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm #78
(12 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm)aureolin There's a lot going round St George's square, on towards St Vincent Street. The airport express services run around there too. North Hanover Street is also good for grabbing the to and from Buchanan bus station.

Yeah, I did want to ride an photograph the ''Airlink'' service(s). Probably just have a round trip!
Tom
12 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm #78

(12 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm)aureolin There's a lot going round St George's square, on towards St Vincent Street. The airport express services run around there too. North Hanover Street is also good for grabbing the to and from Buchanan bus station.

Yeah, I did want to ride an photograph the ''Airlink'' service(s). Probably just have a round trip!

Andreos1

12 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm #79

There certainly is.
Forgot about the station at St Enoch shopping centre (not really a station, but more along the lines of several bus stops by two giant car parks).
Buses passing by The Clutha seem to use it.

Andreos1
12 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm #79

There certainly is.
Forgot about the station at St Enoch shopping centre (not really a station, but more along the lines of several bus stops by two giant car parks).
Buses passing by The Clutha seem to use it.

tyresmoke

12 Jan 2014, 1:03 pm #80
I'm sat on a Citylink gold Elite at present travelling from Dundee to Aberdeen, its definitely a superb service although the wi-fi is a bit patchy, that's to be expected travelling through the rural areas. For £9 single its worth a try! The free cake was very nice too! It's definitely a premium product pitched at business travellers although this also appeals to leisure travellers with decent fares to be found at off peak periods (such as Sundays).

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
12 Jan 2014, 1:03 pm #80

I'm sat on a Citylink gold Elite at present travelling from Dundee to Aberdeen, its definitely a superb service although the wi-fi is a bit patchy, that's to be expected travelling through the rural areas. For £9 single its worth a try! The free cake was very nice too! It's definitely a premium product pitched at business travellers although this also appeals to leisure travellers with decent fares to be found at off peak periods (such as Sundays).

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Pages (239) Previous 13 4 5239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average