E, X30/X31/X70/X71/X72
F, 25/X12/X21
G, 21
H, X77/X78/X79/X87/X88
J, X47/X77/74
Stand A is gonna be tight, everything on there is timed similarly

Rob44

29 Aug 2021, 7:47 am #1,103
Im looking forward to the long walk from market street to the centre of town now the 28 isn't going to eldon square. Makes you winder why they didn't spend a few quid on the bus station at worsick street??
Rob44
29 Aug 2021, 7:47 am #1,103

Im looking forward to the long walk from market street to the centre of town now the 28 isn't going to eldon square. Makes you winder why they didn't spend a few quid on the bus station at worsick street??

Train8261

29 Aug 2021, 10:37 am #1,104
Worsick Street would have never been given a revamp. Even if it did. It should have gone to service that finish on Market Street
Train8261
29 Aug 2021, 10:37 am #1,104

Worsick Street would have never been given a revamp. Even if it did. It should have gone to service that finish on Market Street

29 Aug 2021, 11:27 am #1,105
Best that can be hoped for is a tidy up of Market Street East and some shelters.
54APhotography
29 Aug 2021, 11:27 am #1,105

Best that can be hoped for is a tidy up of Market Street East and some shelters.

Adrian

29 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm #1,106
(29 Aug 2021, 7:47 am)Rob44 Im looking forward to the long walk from market street to the centre of town now the 28 isn't going to eldon square. Makes you winder why they didn't spend a few quid on the bus station at worsick street??

I suppose it depends on what you class as the centre of town, but lets put it into some perspective.

Geographically, Grainger Town is the centre of town, so buses terminating on Market Street actually take you closer. However, if you class Northumberland Street as the centre of town (which people tend to), then its 0.2mi or 5 minutes walk, according to Google.
That's roughly the same as alighting the bus in Eldon Square Bus Station and walking through the shopping centre to get to Northumberland Street. It's slightly shorter up the stairs adjacent to M&S, but arguably that'd be a physically tougher walk than from Market Street.

From a passenger experience perspective, then Eldon Square is the hands down winner, compared to a couple of bus stop flags on Market Street East. Likewise from a safety perspective, more vulnerable users would be better waiting in Eldon Square Bus Station, as Market Street East isn't exactly somewhere you'd want to be standing around at night.  Safety being a barrier to people using public transport.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm #1,106

(29 Aug 2021, 7:47 am)Rob44 Im looking forward to the long walk from market street to the centre of town now the 28 isn't going to eldon square. Makes you winder why they didn't spend a few quid on the bus station at worsick street??

I suppose it depends on what you class as the centre of town, but lets put it into some perspective.

Geographically, Grainger Town is the centre of town, so buses terminating on Market Street actually take you closer. However, if you class Northumberland Street as the centre of town (which people tend to), then its 0.2mi or 5 minutes walk, according to Google.
That's roughly the same as alighting the bus in Eldon Square Bus Station and walking through the shopping centre to get to Northumberland Street. It's slightly shorter up the stairs adjacent to M&S, but arguably that'd be a physically tougher walk than from Market Street.

From a passenger experience perspective, then Eldon Square is the hands down winner, compared to a couple of bus stop flags on Market Street East. Likewise from a safety perspective, more vulnerable users would be better waiting in Eldon Square Bus Station, as Market Street East isn't exactly somewhere you'd want to be standing around at night.  Safety being a barrier to people using public transport.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Keeiajs

29 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm #1,107
(29 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm)Adrian I suppose it depends on what you class as the centre of town, but lets put it into some perspective.

While Eldon Square is not a old bus station, I think they need to build another one and move HayMarket over to Eldon Square. And a new 20 stand bus station bulit closer in the centre, it would be best for public transport and bus companies.
Keeiajs
29 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm #1,107

(29 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm)Adrian I suppose it depends on what you class as the centre of town, but lets put it into some perspective.

While Eldon Square is not a old bus station, I think they need to build another one and move HayMarket over to Eldon Square. And a new 20 stand bus station bulit closer in the centre, it would be best for public transport and bus companies.

Malarkey

29 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm #1,108
(29 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm)Keeiajs While Eldon Square is not a old bus station, I think they need to build another one and move HayMarket over to Eldon Square. And a new 20 stand bus station bulit closer in the centre, it would be best for public transport and bus companies.

Personally I'd knock down the multistory car park between Haymarket and Eldon Square to open up space to build one City Bus Station for all services that serve both bus stations with the potential for NatEx/Megabus & Flixbus to serve it also.

As for replacing the multistory car park I'd use the opportunity to then set up the first of many proposed Park & Ride sites which would reduce emissions in this area of the city.
Malarkey
29 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm #1,108

(29 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm)Keeiajs While Eldon Square is not a old bus station, I think they need to build another one and move HayMarket over to Eldon Square. And a new 20 stand bus station bulit closer in the centre, it would be best for public transport and bus companies.

Personally I'd knock down the multistory car park between Haymarket and Eldon Square to open up space to build one City Bus Station for all services that serve both bus stations with the potential for NatEx/Megabus & Flixbus to serve it also.

As for replacing the multistory car park I'd use the opportunity to then set up the first of many proposed Park & Ride sites which would reduce emissions in this area of the city.

29 Aug 2021, 2:20 pm #1,109
(29 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm)Malarkey Personally I'd knock down the multistory car park between Haymarket and Eldon Square to open up space to build one City Bus Station for all services that serve both bus stations with the potential for NatEx/Megabus & Flixbus to serve it also.

Surely they need to get Great Park P&R right first before opening new ones?
omnicity4659
29 Aug 2021, 2:20 pm #1,109

(29 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm)Malarkey Personally I'd knock down the multistory car park between Haymarket and Eldon Square to open up space to build one City Bus Station for all services that serve both bus stations with the potential for NatEx/Megabus & Flixbus to serve it also.

Surely they need to get Great Park P&R right first before opening new ones?

Keeiajs

29 Aug 2021, 2:48 pm #1,110

But doing that while it may be better in the long term, Haymarket is packed, Eldon Square is packed. Where are all those buses going to do, terminate at gateshead and offer a free bus to Eldon Square/Metro.
Keeiajs
29 Aug 2021, 2:48 pm #1,110

But doing that while it may be better in the long term, Haymarket is packed, Eldon Square is packed. Where are all those buses going to do, terminate at gateshead and offer a free bus to Eldon Square/Metro.

Stanleyone

29 Aug 2021, 3:23 pm #1,111

I believe that the car park is a listed building and can therefore not be demolished. Just visited York and I agree Newcastle would really benefit from decent park and ride sites.
Stanleyone
29 Aug 2021, 3:23 pm #1,111

I believe that the car park is a listed building and can therefore not be demolished. Just visited York and I agree Newcastle would really benefit from decent park and ride sites.

Keeiajs

29 Aug 2021, 7:46 pm #1,112
How does Peterlee Depot work? There is no like..anything bar buses parking up.
Keeiajs
29 Aug 2021, 7:46 pm #1,112

How does Peterlee Depot work? There is no like..anything bar buses parking up.

Kuyoyo

29 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm #1,113
Surprised nobody's noticed the 47/47A now have their own timetable page which also reveals the new brand name - 'Red Kite Ranger'

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/services/G...2021-09-06
Kuyoyo
29 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm #1,113

Surprised nobody's noticed the 47/47A now have their own timetable page which also reveals the new brand name - 'Red Kite Ranger'

ne14ne1

29 Aug 2021, 8:12 pm #1,114
(29 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm)Kuyoyo Surprised nobody's noticed the 47/47A now have their own timetable page which also reveals the new brand name - 'Red Kite Ranger'

I think people are more likely refer to the route brands when they are only made of one or two words, rather than three. Makes the NSAs less annoying too.
ne14ne1
29 Aug 2021, 8:12 pm #1,114

(29 Aug 2021, 7:50 pm)Kuyoyo Surprised nobody's noticed the 47/47A now have their own timetable page which also reveals the new brand name - 'Red Kite Ranger'

I think people are more likely refer to the route brands when they are only made of one or two words, rather than three. Makes the NSAs less annoying too.

Andreos1

29 Aug 2021, 9:29 pm #1,115

Wonder if Tonto appears anywhere on the livery?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 Aug 2021, 9:29 pm #1,115

Wonder if Tonto appears anywhere on the livery?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Rob44

30 Aug 2021, 7:42 am #1,116

Cheers for the reply.  IF your going for a pint in the garter or to the cinema in the Gate you could argue its dropping you off closer to where you want to be.  My other worry would be when GNE turn buses around at Gateshead and leave punters in newcastle standing around ( with no shelter at market street) you have a lot less choice of buses to get you to gateshead. I was waiting for a 56 at market street for 45 minutes with no sign of one turning up. When i checked the app one was heading into gateshead then suddenly ended up outside the carpet right o 5 minutes later. I even ask the drive of the THIRD27 if he had seen one... a shrug of his shoulders I assume meant he hadn't. If the 56 served eldon square i might have had more chance of getting told what the crack was?
Rob44
30 Aug 2021, 7:42 am #1,116

Cheers for the reply.  IF your going for a pint in the garter or to the cinema in the Gate you could argue its dropping you off closer to where you want to be.  My other worry would be when GNE turn buses around at Gateshead and leave punters in newcastle standing around ( with no shelter at market street) you have a lot less choice of buses to get you to gateshead. I was waiting for a 56 at market street for 45 minutes with no sign of one turning up. When i checked the app one was heading into gateshead then suddenly ended up outside the carpet right o 5 minutes later. I even ask the drive of the THIRD27 if he had seen one... a shrug of his shoulders I assume meant he hadn't. If the 56 served eldon square i might have had more chance of getting told what the crack was?

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Aug 2021, 8:26 am #1,117
(30 Aug 2021, 7:42 am)Rob44 Cheers for the reply.  IF your going for a pint in the garter or to the cinema in the Gate you could argue its dropping you off closer to where you want to be.  My other worry would be when GNE turn buses around at Gateshead and leave punters in newcastle standing around ( with no shelter at market street) you have a lot less choice of buses to get you to gateshead. I was waiting for a 56 at market street for 45 minutes with no sign of one turning up. When i checked the app one was heading into gateshead then suddenly ended up outside the carpet right o 5 minutes later. I even ask the drive of the THIRD27 if he had seen one... a shrug of his shoulders I assume meant he hadn't. If the 56 served eldon square i might have had more chance of getting told what the crack was?

I’m doubtful.

Buses can be missing from Eldon Square and passengers can still be left nonethewiser. During times of disruption, there is definitely room for improvement for communication. This isn’t unique to any operator, and, without any bias, Go North East are probably the best operator for being quite open and transparent about journeys not operating, or being curtailed at short notice (but are far from perfect!)

I believe Go North East are going to start updating their app and website with disruption, meaning that journeys will be removed from journey planners, be appropriately highlighted on the page for that service, etc.

That said, this is still not enough as many intending passengers will not make use of this technology. Cancellations on the railway have been commonplace for a long time now, and these are appropriately shown on the departure boards. This is the level of communication we need in our bus stations and at bus stops, but we are lightyears behind and need appropriate investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
30 Aug 2021, 8:26 am #1,117

(30 Aug 2021, 7:42 am)Rob44 Cheers for the reply.  IF your going for a pint in the garter or to the cinema in the Gate you could argue its dropping you off closer to where you want to be.  My other worry would be when GNE turn buses around at Gateshead and leave punters in newcastle standing around ( with no shelter at market street) you have a lot less choice of buses to get you to gateshead. I was waiting for a 56 at market street for 45 minutes with no sign of one turning up. When i checked the app one was heading into gateshead then suddenly ended up outside the carpet right o 5 minutes later. I even ask the drive of the THIRD27 if he had seen one... a shrug of his shoulders I assume meant he hadn't. If the 56 served eldon square i might have had more chance of getting told what the crack was?

I’m doubtful.

Buses can be missing from Eldon Square and passengers can still be left nonethewiser. During times of disruption, there is definitely room for improvement for communication. This isn’t unique to any operator, and, without any bias, Go North East are probably the best operator for being quite open and transparent about journeys not operating, or being curtailed at short notice (but are far from perfect!)

I believe Go North East are going to start updating their app and website with disruption, meaning that journeys will be removed from journey planners, be appropriately highlighted on the page for that service, etc.

That said, this is still not enough as many intending passengers will not make use of this technology. Cancellations on the railway have been commonplace for a long time now, and these are appropriately shown on the departure boards. This is the level of communication we need in our bus stations and at bus stops, but we are lightyears behind and need appropriate investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob44

30 Aug 2021, 8:37 am #1,118
Thanks for the reply

Is there not a Nexus "inspector" based at eldon square ( at peak hours at least)? Granted he works for nexus?? but surely his job is to help customer and surely he would know someone to contact at GNE to see why a 12 minute service hasn't had a bus show up for over 45 minutes? Also, Arn't all GNE buses fitted with radios? The number of times i've waited for buses and asked another driver from the same company if he can help by finding out what the crack is i get a shrug of shoulders Could they not have radioed control to ask what was happening for me?

When i was waiting for the 56 at market 3 27s and 2 57s left the bus stop. Surely if one of those drivers had been advised by control to inform anyone waiting to jump on their bus and a 56 was getting turned round at gateshead I wouldn't be adding this to the reply?
Rob44
30 Aug 2021, 8:37 am #1,118

Thanks for the reply

Is there not a Nexus "inspector" based at eldon square ( at peak hours at least)? Granted he works for nexus?? but surely his job is to help customer and surely he would know someone to contact at GNE to see why a 12 minute service hasn't had a bus show up for over 45 minutes? Also, Arn't all GNE buses fitted with radios? The number of times i've waited for buses and asked another driver from the same company if he can help by finding out what the crack is i get a shrug of shoulders Could they not have radioed control to ask what was happening for me?

When i was waiting for the 56 at market 3 27s and 2 57s left the bus stop. Surely if one of those drivers had been advised by control to inform anyone waiting to jump on their bus and a 56 was getting turned round at gateshead I wouldn't be adding this to the reply?

Stanleyone

30 Aug 2021, 10:40 am #1,119
(30 Aug 2021, 8:37 am)Rob44 Thanks for the reply

Is there not a Nexus "inspector" based at eldon square ( at peak hours at least)? Granted he works for nexus?? but surely his job is to help customer and surely he would know someone to contact at GNE to see why a 12 minute service hasn't had a bus show up for over 45 minutes?  Also,  Arn't all GNE buses fitted with radios? The number of times i've waited for buses and asked another driver from the same company if he can help by finding out what the crack is i get a shrug of shoulders Could they not have radioed control to ask what was happening for me?

Nope doesn't happen, in all the years I've worked at gne only once has an "inspector" asked me to take passengers for the 28 over to Gateshead.  My question is if you've witnessed 6 buses in the space of time you've waited for your bus, why not get on a bus heading into Gateshead?, there's supervisors and even LDs at the interchange and if they're turning buses there because of delays you're guaranteed to catch the bus there.
Stanleyone
30 Aug 2021, 10:40 am #1,119

(30 Aug 2021, 8:37 am)Rob44 Thanks for the reply

Is there not a Nexus "inspector" based at eldon square ( at peak hours at least)? Granted he works for nexus?? but surely his job is to help customer and surely he would know someone to contact at GNE to see why a 12 minute service hasn't had a bus show up for over 45 minutes?  Also,  Arn't all GNE buses fitted with radios? The number of times i've waited for buses and asked another driver from the same company if he can help by finding out what the crack is i get a shrug of shoulders Could they not have radioed control to ask what was happening for me?

Nope doesn't happen, in all the years I've worked at gne only once has an "inspector" asked me to take passengers for the 28 over to Gateshead.  My question is if you've witnessed 6 buses in the space of time you've waited for your bus, why not get on a bus heading into Gateshead?, there's supervisors and even LDs at the interchange and if they're turning buses there because of delays you're guaranteed to catch the bus there.

Rob44

30 Aug 2021, 10:44 am #1,120
(30 Aug 2021, 10:40 am)Stanleyone Nope doesn't happen, in all the years I've worked at gne only once has an "inspector" asked me to take passengers for the 28 over to Gateshead.  My question is if you've witnessed 6 buses in the space of time you've waited for your bus, why not get on a bus heading into Gateshead?, there's supervisors and even LDs at the interchange and if they're turning buses there because of delays you're guaranteed to catch the bus there.

I asked myself that question now but  i kept hoping the next bus around the corner at manors would be the 56. I didnt want to hope on the 27 just for the 56 to pass at grainger market  or at either end of the high level.
Rob44
30 Aug 2021, 10:44 am #1,120

(30 Aug 2021, 10:40 am)Stanleyone Nope doesn't happen, in all the years I've worked at gne only once has an "inspector" asked me to take passengers for the 28 over to Gateshead.  My question is if you've witnessed 6 buses in the space of time you've waited for your bus, why not get on a bus heading into Gateshead?, there's supervisors and even LDs at the interchange and if they're turning buses there because of delays you're guaranteed to catch the bus there.

I asked myself that question now but  i kept hoping the next bus around the corner at manors would be the 56. I didnt want to hope on the 27 just for the 56 to pass at grainger market  or at either end of the high level.

Pages (74) Previous 155 56 5774 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average