You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Flickr Re-Design - Thoughts?

Poll: Do You Like The New Look Flickr?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it's a good change. 0 (0%)
No, I don't like it. 6 (100.00%)
I'm not fussed eitherway 0 (0%)
* You voted for this item. Total: 6 vote(s) (100%)
Flickr Re-Design - Thoughts?
Just getting to grips with the new Flickr design.

Obviously more orientated towards photos now but I think its become a bit too graphic heavy.

You have to click on each photo or hover now to see how many comments or the details of each photo which is a pain.

They've redesigned the App for Android as well which has slowed it down badly and made it difficult to navigate
Site Administrator
RE: Flickr Re-Design - Thoughts?
Flickr will be having another planned maintenance this Friday.

Heads up! Flickr will be down for planned maintenance this Friday from 5 AM GMT to about 1 PM GMT and won't be available during that time.
(11 Sep 2013, 6:21 am)Daniel wrote Flickr will be having another planned maintenance this Friday.

Whey they've broke that promise, I make it 13:10 and it still isn't up and running
(15 Sep 2013, 3:40 pm)Daniel wrote Down for anyone else again?

Yep!

Bad, bad panda!
Come on. We want photos.

Flickr is down for panda planned maintenance. We'll be back with the usual photo goodness at about 1 PM GMT. Follow us on Twitter or our blog for updates.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(15 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Mine is fine

It's not. It's filled with offensive images....or SPD's as passengers call them
Site Administrator
Flickr is down completely this time, according to isup.me - we've not even got the cool maintenance screen anymore!
(21 Sep 2013, 6:22 pm)Daniel wrote Flickr is down completely this time, according to isup.me - we've not even got the cool maintenance screen anymore!

Looks like it's back now.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
Guess what?! Flickr has changed again!
A proportion of the Flickr community has been opted into the BETA version of Flickr, and there are so few features that it's impossible to use Flickr as you would normally. You can't even 'opt out' if you wish to, as you could a while ago when I first noted that they were 'at it again'...

Anyone got any decent alternatives to Flickr that allow you to group certain photographs, caption them and allow you to crop the photographs?
Site Administrator
(23 Nov 2013, 12:52 pm)gtomlinson wrote I'm not sure if it's any use but I quite like Google's Picasa

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/93773?hl=en

(notes on the latest version above)

If your running an Android phone and use that to take your pics you can auto upload too

Cheers, G.

I've grown to adjust and even like the new Flickr homepage, but I really cannot support the new photo page look. It's all about seeing the photograph as large as possible, but they've revoked so many things from the main page to allow this to happen.
.jpg flickr_redesign.jpg

Photo credit to aureolin.
Does anyone need to see an image quite so big? I understand that Flickr is a photo sharing website, but surely a lot of people care about the descriptions of the photographs, the comments? It's not user friendly in the slightest.

I also like to see who has marked my photographs as a 'favourite'. With the updated Flickr, you can no longer do this, you can just see the total number of favourites.

From what I can see, you can no longer tag your photos.

The option to "Edit with Aviary" is missing too... Whether this is to be implemented in a future release or not, I do not know.

I've been reading up on Flickr's Help section all about the update, and I don't think the devs have been listening to very many people at all. A BETA test shouldn't be released in such a state.
Site Administrator
Managed to get a few of the features working which I couldn't earlier...
I've been looking at ipernity tonight, and it is very much like 'old Flickr' but with a few nice up-to-date features.
Do think I could be in for a fresh start in 2014!
Site Administrator
(23 Nov 2013, 11:59 pm)GMitchelhill wrote I did try this new version of Flickr, then opted out of the beta version. So all of my flickr is still the old style.

You're not one of the select few who got it back unwillingly with no option to 'opt out' becauae Flickr claim to be 'testing' things then? How lucky!
As well as Google's Picasa I know a lot of people who recommend Imgur and photobucket.

I'm not a photographer so I don't know how things suit people.
(09 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm)Dan wrote Anyone else seeing "Bad, bad panda" every few minutes tonight?

Yes I experienced the Bad, bad panda a few times this afternoon but normal service resumed quickly. I had the same issue on Thursday and the flickr service was down for around 20 mins each time.
Site Administrator
Flickr has just updated its Android app. Although it looks nicer, I think it's harder to use.

Before I think I could see the latest updates from four of my contacts on one screen before I had to scroll down - now this is limited to one person and you see their most recent uploads in the batches they are in. So if I uploaded 50 photos in batches of five, I would appear 10 times and you'd have to scroll down 10 times before finding someone else's photos.

Example:
maljoe uploaded 4 photos (1h)
maljoe uploaded 6 photos (1h)
maljoe uploaded 3 photos (1h)
maljoe uploaded 22 photos (1h)
maljoe uploaded 39 photos (1h)
Sean Blair (2h)
cainebj (2h)

So I have to scroll down five times before I get to someone else's photos besides maljoe's. Not keen!