Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Mar 2024, 8:14 pm #2
520 is being cancelled too I think?
gc802002
28 Mar 2024, 8:14 pm #2

520 is being cancelled too I think?

Michael

28 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm #3
(28 Mar 2024, 8:14 pm)gc802002 520 is being cancelled too I think?

Not sure, nothing on VOSA for the 520 yet.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm #3

Not sure, nothing on VOSA for the 520 yet.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

28 Mar 2024, 8:53 pm #4
PB0003954/1384 Cancelled
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Houghton Kepier Medical Practice to Fence Houses via Houghton le Spring, Dairy Lane Estate
Service number: 520
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 12 May 2024
Edited 28 Mar 2024, 8:55 pm by gc802002.
gc802002
28 Mar 2024, 8:53 pm #4

PB0003954/1384 Cancelled
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: Houghton Kepier Medical Practice to Fence Houses via Houghton le Spring, Dairy Lane Estate

Michael

28 Mar 2024, 9:03 pm #5
(28 Mar 2024, 8:53 pm)gc802002 PB0003954/1384 Cancelled
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED

Ah must of missed that one!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Mar 2024, 9:03 pm #5

(28 Mar 2024, 8:53 pm)gc802002 PB0003954/1384 Cancelled
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED

Ah must of missed that one!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Mar 2024, 10:42 pm #6

Awarded to Gateshead Central Taxis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
28 Mar 2024, 10:42 pm #6

Awarded to Gateshead Central Taxis.

Michael

28 Mar 2024, 11:07 pm #7
(28 Mar 2024, 10:42 pm)Dan Awarded to Gateshead Central Taxis.

*pretends to be shocked"

What are the changes to the 81 etc?
Edited 28 Mar 2024, 11:08 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Mar 2024, 11:07 pm #7

*pretends to be shocked"

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

busmanT

29 Mar 2024, 8:55 pm #8
(28 Mar 2024, 11:07 pm)Michael *pretends to be shocked"

Minor changes implemented by Nexus when the new contract starts
busmanT
29 Mar 2024, 8:55 pm #8

(28 Mar 2024, 11:07 pm)Michael *pretends to be shocked"

Minor changes implemented by Nexus when the new contract starts

Michael

29 Mar 2024, 9:10 pm #9
(29 Mar 2024, 8:55 pm)busmanT Minor changes implemented by Nexus when the new contract starts

Thank you.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Mar 2024, 9:10 pm #9

(29 Mar 2024, 8:55 pm)busmanT Minor changes implemented by Nexus when the new contract starts

Thank you.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

29 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm #10

Will carrying passengers be a requirement….

Utterly pointless service

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
29 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm #10

Will carrying passengers be a requirement….

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

busmanT

30 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm #11
(29 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm)Ambassador Will carrying passengers be a requirement….

I suspect that under the franchised “Angel network” there will be more 81 type services.
busmanT
30 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm #11

(29 Mar 2024, 9:17 pm)Ambassador Will carrying passengers be a requirement….

I suspect that under the franchised “Angel network” there will be more 81 type services.

Adrian

30 Mar 2024, 8:45 pm #12
(30 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm)busmanT I suspect that under the franchised “Angel network” there will be more 81 type services.
I think you'd have less 81 type services under franchising. They only exist due to trying to serve as many commercially abandoned areas, with as little money as possible. In franchising, I'm assuming the better option would be to rejig your network, so these areas instead have logical bus services?

That being said, hopefully, we never have an Angel network. It'll be like the chuckle brothers with her and the current JTC chair running the show. Wouldn't trust either of them to deliver the milk.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Mar 2024, 8:45 pm #12

(30 Mar 2024, 6:06 pm)busmanT I suspect that under the franchised “Angel network” there will be more 81 type services.
I think you'd have less 81 type services under franchising. They only exist due to trying to serve as many commercially abandoned areas, with as little money as possible. In franchising, I'm assuming the better option would be to rejig your network, so these areas instead have logical bus services?

That being said, hopefully, we never have an Angel network. It'll be like the chuckle brothers with her and the current JTC chair running the show. Wouldn't trust either of them to deliver the milk.

30 Mar 2024, 9:46 pm #13
Guess that's why the milkman starts at 10pm round my way
DaveFromUpNorth
30 Mar 2024, 9:46 pm #13

Guess that's why the milkman starts at 10pm round my way

31 Mar 2024, 3:08 am #14
(30 Mar 2024, 8:45 pm)Adrian I think you'd have less 81 type services under franchising. They only exist due to trying to serve as many commercially abandoned areas, with as little money as possible. In franchising, I'm assuming the better option would be to rejig your network, so these areas instead have logical bus services?

We'd have to hope that franchising would supersede Nexus is the main thing in my opinion. I don't want the people currently running the PTE anywhere near a new network, I also hope they'd be able to snatch the Metro from their control too. Although I fear it would just become big Nexus and it would run out of Nexus house just ruining Durham, and Northumberland too on top of Tyne & Wear.
deanmachine
31 Mar 2024, 3:08 am #14

(30 Mar 2024, 8:45 pm)Adrian I think you'd have less 81 type services under franchising. They only exist due to trying to serve as many commercially abandoned areas, with as little money as possible. In franchising, I'm assuming the better option would be to rejig your network, so these areas instead have logical bus services?

We'd have to hope that franchising would supersede Nexus is the main thing in my opinion. I don't want the people currently running the PTE anywhere near a new network, I also hope they'd be able to snatch the Metro from their control too. Although I fear it would just become big Nexus and it would run out of Nexus house just ruining Durham, and Northumberland too on top of Tyne & Wear.

Andreos1

31 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm #15
(31 Mar 2024, 3:08 am)deanmachine We'd have to hope that franchising would supersede Nexus is the main thing in my opinion. I don't want the people currently running the PTE anywhere near a new network, I also hope they'd be able to snatch the Metro from their control too. Although I fear it would just become big Nexus and it would run out of Nexus house just ruining Durham, and Northumberland too on top of Tyne & Wear.

The challenge with that, is getting the people in to replace them? Who do you get?

The 'professionals' currently working within the main operators aren't exactly showing the skillset required. I'd certainly not have any confidence in them suddenly turning around years of incompetence and decision making that sees years on years of failing numbers, to then turn it on under a different employer/provision. 

There's the queries around the competence of those in Nexus and the various transport quangos. 

I think that just leaves the sane amongst us on this forum to step in.
Edited 31 Mar 2024, 12:32 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm #15

(31 Mar 2024, 3:08 am)deanmachine We'd have to hope that franchising would supersede Nexus is the main thing in my opinion. I don't want the people currently running the PTE anywhere near a new network, I also hope they'd be able to snatch the Metro from their control too. Although I fear it would just become big Nexus and it would run out of Nexus house just ruining Durham, and Northumberland too on top of Tyne & Wear.

The challenge with that, is getting the people in to replace them? Who do you get?

The 'professionals' currently working within the main operators aren't exactly showing the skillset required. I'd certainly not have any confidence in them suddenly turning around years of incompetence and decision making that sees years on years of failing numbers, to then turn it on under a different employer/provision. 

There's the queries around the competence of those in Nexus and the various transport quangos. 

Dan

Site Administrator

31 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm #16
(31 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm)Andreos1 The challenge with that, is getting the people in to replace them? Who do you get?

Get your application in, Andreos!

Dan
31 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm #16

(31 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm)Andreos1 The challenge with that, is getting the people in to replace them? Who do you get?

Get your application in, Andreos!

Storx

31 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm #17

Personally I think it's a right minefield and they shouldn't do it. They keep comparing to the likes of Manchester and TFL but neither are comparable as they're completely urban networks. 

It's all easy to do routes like the 39/40 and 62/63 in Newcastle. It's not so easy to do the likes of Middleton on Tees to Barnard Castle.

The area is way too big for franchising imo. Not to mention who wants a big block of routes based at places like that. Like just looking at Northumberland other than Arriva are Ashington there's no real major depot anywhere North of the place.

Those type of routes would only run well under a completely public network imo.

Added: Also to add where's this money going to come from considering GNE and Arriva are both making losses currently and they're not going to be taking on massive contracts to make 50p and a fag packet.
Edited 31 Mar 2024, 1:12 pm by Storx.
Storx
31 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm #17

Personally I think it's a right minefield and they shouldn't do it. They keep comparing to the likes of Manchester and TFL but neither are comparable as they're completely urban networks. 

It's all easy to do routes like the 39/40 and 62/63 in Newcastle. It's not so easy to do the likes of Middleton on Tees to Barnard Castle.

The area is way too big for franchising imo. Not to mention who wants a big block of routes based at places like that. Like just looking at Northumberland other than Arriva are Ashington there's no real major depot anywhere North of the place.

Added: Also to add where's this money going to come from considering GNE and Arriva are both making losses currently and they're not going to be taking on massive contracts to make 50p and a fag packet.

Adrian

31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm #18

Is it the people that are bad, or is it the direction that they're under?

I've no doubt that Nexus, TNE and all the operators have some excellent people working for them, but look at the direction they're under. Nexus and Transport North East both dance to the tune played by the JTC, and there's just no direction from the membership of that. Looking at the membership, I don't believe any of them even use public transport. 

With the main operators, to me, it's more that they've all lost sight of the primary objective of what they exist for. I follow Go North East more than I do anyone else, and it's bloody evident that the Featham era of cost-cutting from Arriva has transitioned to them. I've used buses more in the past couple of days than I've used in the last 6 months, and if I was leading that business, I'd be embarrassed at the state of it. I'm sure there's people there that want to do good things and make things better, but they'd be better off talking to a brick wall.

Without trying to get into a completely different debate, I think the BSIP had a lot of potential. Sure, it's delivered a decent range of day tickets at a decent price, but there's been very little else on the face of it. Of course, most of the problem with that is the lack of public engagement (which was always typical of Nexus, and has translated into TNE). If you can't take people with you, then you're often onto a hiding to nothing.

If we do go down the franchising route, as almost certainly we will, then the best decision the new combined authority could take is to get a proper bus person on board to lead it.

(31 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm)Storx Personally I think it's a right minefield and they shouldn't do it. They keep comparing to the likes of Manchester and TFL but neither are comparable as they're completely urban networks. 

I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

A completely public network would be my preference, and hopefully that'll be something that can be aspired to, if Labour keep their promise of scrapping the ban on municipal operators, but I don't think it's impossible for a public-private partnership to work in the interim. It does need almost a blank canvas approach though.

The funding comes from the devolution deal, and depending which candidate you talk to, there's various ideas about drawing in additional funding.

Adrian
31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm #18

Is it the people that are bad, or is it the direction that they're under?

I've no doubt that Nexus, TNE and all the operators have some excellent people working for them, but look at the direction they're under. Nexus and Transport North East both dance to the tune played by the JTC, and there's just no direction from the membership of that. Looking at the membership, I don't believe any of them even use public transport. 

With the main operators, to me, it's more that they've all lost sight of the primary objective of what they exist for. I follow Go North East more than I do anyone else, and it's bloody evident that the Featham era of cost-cutting from Arriva has transitioned to them. I've used buses more in the past couple of days than I've used in the last 6 months, and if I was leading that business, I'd be embarrassed at the state of it. I'm sure there's people there that want to do good things and make things better, but they'd be better off talking to a brick wall.

Without trying to get into a completely different debate, I think the BSIP had a lot of potential. Sure, it's delivered a decent range of day tickets at a decent price, but there's been very little else on the face of it. Of course, most of the problem with that is the lack of public engagement (which was always typical of Nexus, and has translated into TNE). If you can't take people with you, then you're often onto a hiding to nothing.

If we do go down the franchising route, as almost certainly we will, then the best decision the new combined authority could take is to get a proper bus person on board to lead it.

(31 Mar 2024, 1:06 pm)Storx Personally I think it's a right minefield and they shouldn't do it. They keep comparing to the likes of Manchester and TFL but neither are comparable as they're completely urban networks. 

I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

A completely public network would be my preference, and hopefully that'll be something that can be aspired to, if Labour keep their promise of scrapping the ban on municipal operators, but I don't think it's impossible for a public-private partnership to work in the interim. It does need almost a blank canvas approach though.

The funding comes from the devolution deal, and depending which candidate you talk to, there's various ideas about drawing in additional funding.

Storx

31 Mar 2024, 2:50 pm #19
(31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm)Adrian I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

Honestly agreed that we need to do something as it's broken but personally just can't see franchising being the answer. It feels like we're just going from one problem to a whole lot of other problems. Like just looking at railways, the franchising model has been an absolute disaster and this isn't exactly a million miles away.

One of my biggest fears though is franchising is anti growth, as it's all about minimum cost. You can away with on urban routes as people are only on for 10 minutes but that's not the same in rural areas. 

Getting 'Angel' buses which are basic as you can get with little advertising anywhere because the PTE isn't going to focus on somewhere like Alnwick and it doesn't matter for the operator whether there's 1 person or 20 people on is just a disaster waiting to happen. Arguably for them having 1 person on would actually be better, less cleaning etc. 

We should wait it out imo until the next government is in and go public rather than jumping at the gun. It's only going to be 6 months max as no chance are the Tories going to win. Starmer really would have to do something extra special for that to happen.
Edited 31 Mar 2024, 2:50 pm by Storx.
Storx
31 Mar 2024, 2:50 pm #19

(31 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm)Adrian I agree with you about the comparisons to Manchester. I don't think there's another network similar to what ours would cover, servicing three Cities, within five Metropolitan boroughs and two rural counties. It's not going to be easy, but doing nothing is a non-starter. The majority of the commercial networks are on life support right now, and if we do nothing, there will be nothing. 

Honestly agreed that we need to do something as it's broken but personally just can't see franchising being the answer. It feels like we're just going from one problem to a whole lot of other problems. Like just looking at railways, the franchising model has been an absolute disaster and this isn't exactly a million miles away.

One of my biggest fears though is franchising is anti growth, as it's all about minimum cost. You can away with on urban routes as people are only on for 10 minutes but that's not the same in rural areas. 

Getting 'Angel' buses which are basic as you can get with little advertising anywhere because the PTE isn't going to focus on somewhere like Alnwick and it doesn't matter for the operator whether there's 1 person or 20 people on is just a disaster waiting to happen. Arguably for them having 1 person on would actually be better, less cleaning etc. 

We should wait it out imo until the next government is in and go public rather than jumping at the gun. It's only going to be 6 months max as no chance are the Tories going to win. Starmer really would have to do something extra special for that to happen.

Andreos1

31 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm #20
(31 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm)Dan Get your application in, Andreos!

Cheers Daniel! 

Typing it out as we speak.

Andreos1
31 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm #20

(31 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm)Dan Get your application in, Andreos!

Cheers Daniel! 

Typing it out as we speak.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average