Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (100) Previous 17 8 9100 Next
Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm #141
(03 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm)aureolin Disagree with the statement on B10's. They're still solid on the Lime, and in my opinion, one of the nicest rides.

Some of them have been rough for years, particularly the Dyson ones.
Can hear them coming from the bottom of the street when waiting at the Black Horse in Chester.

The bodywork on some examples is looking tatty too - however, others (like you mentioned) are still great rides.

Never tallied up whether Chester or Stanley have the better fleet.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm #141

(03 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm)aureolin Disagree with the statement on B10's. They're still solid on the Lime, and in my opinion, one of the nicest rides.

Some of them have been rough for years, particularly the Dyson ones.
Can hear them coming from the bottom of the street when waiting at the Black Horse in Chester.

The bodywork on some examples is looking tatty too - however, others (like you mentioned) are still great rides.

Never tallied up whether Chester or Stanley have the better fleet.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm #142
(03 Jan 2014, 7:24 pm)Dan I thought Stagecoach finalised all offers in April or June? As that's why I said don't quote me on that one... Positive one is April and one is June.
With vehicles arriving so late in the year too...

Have a feeling the financial year end will impact on when new orders are finalised.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm #142

(03 Jan 2014, 7:24 pm)Dan I thought Stagecoach finalised all offers in April or June? As that's why I said don't quote me on that one... Positive one is April and one is June.

Have a feeling the financial year end will impact on when new orders are finalised.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm #143
(03 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm)andreos1 Have a feeling the financial year end will impact on when new orders are finalised.

And isn't that April?
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm #143

(03 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm)andreos1 Have a feeling the financial year end will impact on when new orders are finalised.

And isn't that April?

Kuyoyo

03 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm #144

No, delivery begins in April, the orders are always announced at the start of the year properly.
Kuyoyo
03 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm #144

No, delivery begins in April, the orders are always announced at the start of the year properly.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm #145
(03 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm)Kuyoyo No, delivery begins in April, the orders are always announced at the start of the year properly.

Is that not just an estimation, due to funding etc?
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm #145

(03 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm)Kuyoyo No, delivery begins in April, the orders are always announced at the start of the year properly.

Is that not just an estimation, due to funding etc?

Kuyoyo

03 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm #146
(03 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm)Dan Is that not just an estimation, due to funding etc?

No, orders are always announced in January or Feburary, with everything being sorted in the months before that. Delivery doesn't begin until the start of that financial year, with the order announced now normally all finished by the following January with later deliveries being any additional orders made.
Kuyoyo
03 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm #146

(03 Jan 2014, 7:35 pm)Dan Is that not just an estimation, due to funding etc?

No, orders are always announced in January or Feburary, with everything being sorted in the months before that. Delivery doesn't begin until the start of that financial year, with the order announced now normally all finished by the following January with later deliveries being any additional orders made.

Michael

03 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm #147
So the new stagecoach's buses are gonna start arriving in April?

The additional gas buses aren't due to arrive till later in the year, by a email i got from stagecoach.

Shame because would be nice for all 40 of them to be put in to service at once. least i can get 3/4 services with them to and from work...

3,13 and 16 =D
Edited 03 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm #147

So the new stagecoach's buses are gonna start arriving in April?

The additional gas buses aren't due to arrive till later in the year, by a email i got from stagecoach.

Shame because would be nice for all 40 of them to be put in to service at once. least i can get 3/4 services with them to and from work...

3,13 and 16 =D

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm #148
(03 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm)Dan And isn't that April?

End of March/begining of April for financial year - but different companies have different dates for their accounting period (say Jan - Dec, which would tie in with Jan orders).

No idea what the impact will be, but I imagine it has a big bearing on orders and purchases.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm #148

(03 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm)Dan And isn't that April?

End of March/begining of April for financial year - but different companies have different dates for their accounting period (say Jan - Dec, which would tie in with Jan orders).

No idea what the impact will be, but I imagine it has a big bearing on orders and purchases.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm #149
(03 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm)andreos1 End of March/begining of April for financial year - but different companies have different dates for their accounting period (say Jan - Dec, which would tie in with Jan orders).

Must be where I've got April from, and June for GNE's accounting period.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm #149

(03 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm)andreos1 End of March/begining of April for financial year - but different companies have different dates for their accounting period (say Jan - Dec, which would tie in with Jan orders).

Must be where I've got April from, and June for GNE's accounting period.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm #150
(03 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm)citaro5284 Go Ahead's financial year is July - June

And there we have it! Ta, citaro.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm #150

(03 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm)citaro5284 Go Ahead's financial year is July - June

And there we have it! Ta, citaro.

03 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #151
(05 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm)aureolin I used the 20 daily for a couple of years, and it was always packed? Houghton to Durham anyway... You were often educated on what a tinned sardine feels like on a morning or afternoon rush.

I agree, the Prince Bishops always seems full, more so than the Laser.
Greg in Weardale
03 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #151

(05 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm)aureolin I used the 20 daily for a couple of years, and it was always packed? Houghton to Durham anyway... You were often educated on what a tinned sardine feels like on a morning or afternoon rush.

I agree, the Prince Bishops always seems full, more so than the Laser.

CatsFast101

Unregistered

03 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #152
(03 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)Greg in Weardale I agree, the Prince Bishops always seems full, more so than the Laser.

I would have to agree. I'd have to put Prince Bishops before Laser in terms of requiring deckers. I'd say decked for the 20 are certainly required soon, buses are often packed. I'd say Sunderland side of the route is busier than the Durham route, however, I think deckers would be certainly an advantage, some of the prince bishops are starting to become a bit weak. New vehicles are needed sooner rather than later I'd say.
CatsFast101
03 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #152

(03 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)Greg in Weardale I agree, the Prince Bishops always seems full, more so than the Laser.

I would have to agree. I'd have to put Prince Bishops before Laser in terms of requiring deckers. I'd say decked for the 20 are certainly required soon, buses are often packed. I'd say Sunderland side of the route is busier than the Durham route, however, I think deckers would be certainly an advantage, some of the prince bishops are starting to become a bit weak. New vehicles are needed sooner rather than later I'd say.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm #153
(03 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm)CatsFast101 I would have to agree. I'd have to put Prince Bishops before Laser in terms of requiring deckers. I'd say decked for the 20 are certainly required soon, buses are often packed. I'd say Sunderland side of the route is busier than the Durham route, however, I think deckers would be certainly an advantage, some of the prince bishops are starting to become a bit weak. New vehicles are needed sooner rather than later I'd say.

But which makes more money?
Across the PVR, the Laser may generate more profit than the Prince Bishops. It begs the question - why hasn't the Prince Bishops had an upgrade sooner? Just a little re-brand.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm #153

(03 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm)CatsFast101 I would have to agree. I'd have to put Prince Bishops before Laser in terms of requiring deckers. I'd say decked for the 20 are certainly required soon, buses are often packed. I'd say Sunderland side of the route is busier than the Durham route, however, I think deckers would be certainly an advantage, some of the prince bishops are starting to become a bit weak. New vehicles are needed sooner rather than later I'd say.

But which makes more money?
Across the PVR, the Laser may generate more profit than the Prince Bishops. It begs the question - why hasn't the Prince Bishops had an upgrade sooner? Just a little re-brand.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm #154
(03 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm)Dan But which makes more money?

I would have thought the 20 made more money than the 35's going from the GNE zonal system alone.

However, the 20's don't face any competition apart from the small section between Gilesgate Moor and North Road...

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm #154

(03 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm)Dan But which makes more money?

I would have thought the 20 made more money than the 35's going from the GNE zonal system alone.

However, the 20's don't face any competition apart from the small section between Gilesgate Moor and North Road...

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm #155
(03 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm)andreos1 I would have thought the 20 made more money than the 35's going from the GNE zonal system alone.

I guess we'll never know... If a service justifies investment, it will receive it.
The Prince Bishops hasn't received that for quite some time - the Laser has received Citaros... Now it's speculated that the Laser is in line to receive B9s? It must be doing something right.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm #155

(03 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm)andreos1 I would have thought the 20 made more money than the 35's going from the GNE zonal system alone.

I guess we'll never know... If a service justifies investment, it will receive it.
The Prince Bishops hasn't received that for quite some time - the Laser has received Citaros... Now it's speculated that the Laser is in line to receive B9s? It must be doing something right.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 9:45 pm #156
(03 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm)Dan I guess we'll never know... If a service justifies investment, it will receive it.

Just going from my trips on both.

35's - local travel to/from Houghton and steady loads between Sunderland/Herrington. Steady between Shields and Sunderland.
Competition from Stagecoach in two distinct areas and to an extent Metro.

20's - Very few stops on Durham Road, but decent loads between Sunderland/Houghton. Decent locally on either diversion between Houghton and East Rainton and decent loads to/from Durham, with regular standing between Carville and Durham.
Very little competition apart from small section of route in Durham. Arriva being preferred option.

Whether those views tie up with official opinions, who knows...
Edited 03 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 9:45 pm #156

(03 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm)Dan I guess we'll never know... If a service justifies investment, it will receive it.

Just going from my trips on both.

35's - local travel to/from Houghton and steady loads between Sunderland/Herrington. Steady between Shields and Sunderland.
Competition from Stagecoach in two distinct areas and to an extent Metro.

20's - Very few stops on Durham Road, but decent loads between Sunderland/Houghton. Decent locally on either diversion between Houghton and East Rainton and decent loads to/from Durham, with regular standing between Carville and Durham.
Very little competition apart from small section of route in Durham. Arriva being preferred option.

Whether those views tie up with official opinions, who knows...

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 9:48 pm #157
Excluding peaks, as I assume both are good then, which has more fare paying passengers? I don't use either service enough to know, especially given the times I'm limited to during term time.
I suspect the Prince Bishops would have justified investment this year if it was as amazing as everyone thinks...
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 9:48 pm #157

Excluding peaks, as I assume both are good then, which has more fare paying passengers? I don't use either service enough to know, especially given the times I'm limited to during term time.
I suspect the Prince Bishops would have justified investment this year if it was as amazing as everyone thinks...

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm #158
(03 Jan 2014, 9:48 pm)Dan Excluding peaks, as I assume both are good then, which has more fare paying passengers? I don't use either service enough to know, especially given the times I'm limited to during term time.

The 35 picks up quite a few passes due to the route it takes via Estates and on a nice day, who wouldn't head to Shields for a fish n chips pensioners special?
It sticks solely in the red zone and attracts additional low fares via the Sunderland City zone (or whatever it is called).

The 20 goes on a much more direct route, omitting any Estates (bar Hall Lane) and passengers incur extra charges with it going into Co Durham/green zone.

Two very different services, serving different markets.
I do think the competition aspect has played a part in decision making.
Edited 03 Jan 2014, 9:55 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm #158

(03 Jan 2014, 9:48 pm)Dan Excluding peaks, as I assume both are good then, which has more fare paying passengers? I don't use either service enough to know, especially given the times I'm limited to during term time.

The 35 picks up quite a few passes due to the route it takes via Estates and on a nice day, who wouldn't head to Shields for a fish n chips pensioners special?
It sticks solely in the red zone and attracts additional low fares via the Sunderland City zone (or whatever it is called).

The 20 goes on a much more direct route, omitting any Estates (bar Hall Lane) and passengers incur extra charges with it going into Co Durham/green zone.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm #159
(03 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm)andreos1 The 35 picks up quite a few passes due to the route it takes via Estates and on a nice day, who wouldn't head to Shields for a fish n chips pensioners special?

Perhaps it is the lower fares which attract custom to the Laser, compared to the Prince Bishops which has higher fares?

While competition may have been a factor considered, I do not think it would have ultimate decider - profit levels would have been. I guess we, as enthusiasts, won't ever know though - we will have to settle for questioning the decision instead.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm #159

(03 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm)andreos1 The 35 picks up quite a few passes due to the route it takes via Estates and on a nice day, who wouldn't head to Shields for a fish n chips pensioners special?

Perhaps it is the lower fares which attract custom to the Laser, compared to the Prince Bishops which has higher fares?

While competition may have been a factor considered, I do not think it would have ultimate decider - profit levels would have been. I guess we, as enthusiasts, won't ever know though - we will have to settle for questioning the decision instead.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm #160
(03 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm)Dan Perhaps it is the lower fares which attract custom to the Laser, compared to the Prince Bishops which has higher fares?

Nowt wrong with a bit debate, analysis or guess work though eh?

Not sure the higher fares discourage people from the 20.
It is an established service and unless people have access to a car, there isn't much choice but to use the 20 for cross border trips.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm #160

(03 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm)Dan Perhaps it is the lower fares which attract custom to the Laser, compared to the Prince Bishops which has higher fares?

Nowt wrong with a bit debate, analysis or guess work though eh?

Not sure the higher fares discourage people from the 20.
It is an established service and unless people have access to a car, there isn't much choice but to use the 20 for cross border trips.

Pages (100) Previous 17 8 9100 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average