North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 13 Jul 2014

(13 Jul 2014, 8:47 pm)Kuyoyo I believe 4001/4002 are 2 of the examples not getting refurbished - 4001 due to its historical significance.

Pfft... save a bit of cash more like!
Surely they could be refurbished and then restored into the present livery again...?

What's that you say..? Pessimistic? Of course not! Angel

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - V514DFT - 13 Jul 2014

(13 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm)Tom Does anyone know how long until 4001/4002/4027/4036/4045/4055 get refurbished? Those are the ones I want to photo the most.

4001/2 i agree with dan but it wont happen
4027 no one knows
4036 has gone and is currently in doncaster
4045 has just returned to service
4055 no one knows
4083 possibly the 3rd metrocar not going due to having a collision with a bus at kingston park in its early days
Currently off for refurb

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - S813 FVK - 14 Jul 2014

(13 Jul 2014, 10:34 pm)V514DFT 4001/2 i agree with dan but it wont happen
4027 no one knows
4036 has gone and is currently in doncaster
4045 has just returned to service
4055 no one knows
4083 possibly the 3rd metrocar not going due to having a collision with a bus at kingston park in its early days
Currently off for refurb

Why would it not go because it was involved in an incident? I dont think that is an excuse not to refurbish a metrocar.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - BJ10VUS - 14 Jul 2014

(13 Jul 2014, 8:54 pm)Dan Pfft... save a bit of cash more like!
Surely they could be refurbished and then restored into the present livery again...?

What's that you say..? Pessimistic? Of course not! Angel

They were going to originally refurbish 4001 and 4002, because I can remember some people were upset about it. I agree it's a cost-saving measure though! Tongue

Also, with regards the East Coast branded Metrocars. The new announcements don't seem to work when they aren't connected together as a full East Coast branded unit.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Tom - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 3:17 pm)BJ10VUS They were going to originally refurbish 4001 and 4002, because I can remember some people were upset about it. I agree it's a cost-saving measure though! Tongue

Also, with regards the East Coast branded Metrocars. The new announcements don't seem to work when they aren't connected together as a full East Coast branded unit.

It's only one that has it - 4038/4064 are the Metrocars that are being trailed on the improved PA System. Previously they were together (4038/4064), but recently I've seen the two East Coast ones together.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - V514DFT - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm)Robert Why would it not go because it was involved in an incident? I dont think that is an excuse not to refurbish a metrocar.
Im just going off what other people have said, dont shoot the messenger,but it wasnt like it was a minor incident

Re: RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 3:55 pm)V514DFT Im just going off what other people have said, dont shoot the messenger,but it wasnt like it was a minor incident
As long as it is still around and in service today, can't see why it wouldn't get refurbished.

Obviously if it had been permanently withdrawn due to the incident, it would be another matter.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 14 Jul 2014

(14 Jul 2014, 3:17 pm)BJ10VUS They were going to originally refurbish 4001 and 4002, because I can remember some people were upset about it. I agree it's a cost-saving measure though! Tongue

I can't understand the decision if that's the case. I understand keeping 4001 in Tyne and Wear PTE livery for it's heritage, but it doesn't stop it being refurbished? Just means it gets a different livery than the others surely? With regards to 4002. It's never been back in PTE livery since it was phased out in the early 90s, so I'd say there's nothing stopping it being refurbished.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Coppercap40 - 15 Jul 2014

4064 has just come back from Doncaster and 4037 has gone.
4001/2 being the original prototypes were only able to work with each other for a number of years after the final production sets were in service, they were modified later to allow them to work with the rest of the sets. I think the door opening panels are still different to the later sets and there is still a slightly longer delay before the doors open

Re: RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 15 Jul 2014

(15 Jul 2014, 1:32 pm)Coppercap40 4064 has just come back from Doncaster and 4037 has gone.
4001/2 being the original prototypes were only able to work with each other for a number of years after the final production sets were in service, they were modified later to allow them to work with the rest of the sets. I think the door opening panels are still different to the later sets and there is still a slightly longer delay before the doors open
Regarding the doors, that's definitely correct. I'm not Metro-savvy enough to know about the rest though.

The doors are absolutely horrid. Main reason why I want to see them refurbished.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - V514DFT - 16 Jul 2014

No,i totally agree with what most of you are saying,over 4 years its gone from being all 90 to 88,then dropped again to 86,i still reckon the other two unrefurbed ones will become parts donors,and it would be a terrible shame if 4001/2 just ended up gathering dust somewhere yes they are prototypes but doesnt been they couldnt give it an overhaul or even some attention,these 2 cars are 40 year old so surely they must have some body problems going on,also 4088 went recently too

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Bus_User - 18 Jul 2014

(13 Jul 2014, 8:47 pm)Kuyoyo I believe 4001/4002 are 2 of the examples not getting refurbished - 4001 due to its historical significance.

Incorrect, the prototypes and two other units are not being refurbished due to the corrosion on the units being worse than expected thus the metrocar refurb budget has went way over. Of course, if Nexus want more money from the government then they have to prove they are using it wisely and not going over their targets hence for this reason, 4 units are not being refurbished and the station "refurbishments" are scaled back also as that is also over budget.

Re: RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 19 Jul 2014

(18 Jul 2014, 10:51 pm)Bus_User Incorrect, the prototypes and two other units are not being refurbished due to the corrosion on the units being worse than expected thus the metrocar refurb budget has went way over. Of course, if Nexus want more money from the government then they have to prove they are using it wisely and not going over their targets hence for this reason, 4 units are not being refurbished and the station "refurbishments" are scaled back also as that is also over budget.
Interesting.

Will these Metrocars remain in service then? I don't know how many spare Metrocars they actually have.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

4074 having some issues with the first right hand side door on the 'A' side.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 22 Jul 2014

Feels like I'm back in London... A train a minute: three Pelaw shorts, South Shields, South Hylton, South Shields.

Shame it's as a result of late running.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 24 Jul 2014

Having only accepted POP cards, metro tickets or left open for a period of time, barriers at Central Station are now accepting the Network Ticketing tickets.

Quite a queue there this morning.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - V514DFT - 24 Jul 2014

seperate note but does anyone remember this

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - idiot - 25 Jul 2014

How does they work? Magnetic stripe or have I missed them going on to the POP card?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 31 Jul 2014

Emergency overhead line maintenance work means that no trains are running from Kingston Park to Airport.

Also, looks like Nexus has decided to disable all U16 POP cards expiring today early - I can't buy a ticket with it, yet I should be able to until 23:59 tonight, surely?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Malarkey - 31 Jul 2014

Metro Minutes are amazing at Heworth

The Coast - 8 Mins
Airport - 11 Mins skips 3 Minutes so both are due in at same time