North East Buses
Tyne and Wear Metro - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Forms of Transport (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Railways (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tyne and Wear Metro (/showthread.php?tid=68)

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Davie - 13 Jan 2016

(13 Jan 2016, 7:44 am)DanPicken I'm thankful my appointment in Newcastle was changed from today to the 27th, although I don't mind getting the 900 as its more reliable than the Metro.

What isn't more reliable than the Metro?

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - DanPicken - 13 Jan 2016

(13 Jan 2016, 7:45 am)Davie What isn't more reliable than the Metro?

The 82. How many buses are on the Metro Replacement today, just as people have been waiting a while at Fellgate.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 13 Jan 2016

From Twitter:
No trains Pelaw–Brockley Whins, bus 900 Heworth-Brockley Whins, due to power problem.Service not expected to resume in the area today 13 Jan

So it looks like no service today between the about area's.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 13 Jan 2016

Huw Lewis has been on the radio with the news.

He said there were 6 buses on the 900 at that time. They were the only buses accepting metro tickets.

He said Network Rail have been trying to identify the source of the outage and have failed to do so, so far.

He stated pressure has been put onto Metro by Nexus, to increase and improve their social media presence.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Dan - 13 Jan 2016

(13 Jan 2016, 9:04 am)Andreos1 Huw Lewis has been on the radio with the news.

He said there were 6 buses on the 900 at that time. They were the only buses accepting metro tickets.

He said Network Rail have been trying to identify the source of the outage and have failed to do so, so far.

He stated pressure has been put onto Metro by Nexus, to increase and improve their social media presence.

I wonder how many of the six buses allocated to service 900 are low-floor? Yesterday; JH Coaches allocated a coach to the 900 service, which isn't as accessible as the usual Metros:
[Image: 24229171462_16b5d4643d.jpg]Jim Hughes Coaches: MSU830 Mercedes by emdjt42, on Flickr

I completely understand that it is difficult to source drivers and vehicles to operate emergency Metro Replacements, but I am very surprised that a vehicle which isn't wheelchair-accessible was deemed appropriate?

(13 Jan 2016, 12:40 am)GX03 SVC The entire system is a farce, the lack of decent management and customer services are beggars belief. 

Metro has a policy that it no longer published generic reasons for delays, but is always quick to blame Network Rail anywhere past Pelaw Jn. 

The A194 isn't bad at rush hour imo, usually the Tunnel that causes delays though.
Since when?

Anything heading towards the river from the south is susceptible to delays. Whether it is the tunnel, the A1, the A194 or the approaches to the bridges.

What is on average a 10min journey just to get on to the A1 can take 30mins in morning peaks. Sometimes more.
Don't even get me started on the totally unpredictable journey times once you do get on to the A1 or the other main roads.

Having used the roads in question in the morning peak since I started driving many moons ago - I can assure you that public transport into Gateshead or Newcastle is often the better option.
However unreliable it can be.

(13 Jan 2016, 7:51 am)DanPicken The 82.

Not being funny here; why is it people say the 82/82A are unreliable, but usually when I see them they are on time?

(13 Jan 2016, 11:11 am)Davie Not being funny here; why is it people say the 82/82A are unreliable, but usually when I see them they are on time?

I have no idea either, Davie.

I can see at the moment, only one bus is running outside of the 1 minute early to 5 minutes late 'on-time' window, and that's 606 (running just over a minute early).

Good grief - an apology?! They're finally listening...

.png
metro.png
Size 29.21 KB / Downloads 27

(13 Jan 2016, 11:11 am)Davie Not being funny here; why is it people say the 82/82A are unreliable, but usually when I see them they are on time?

Used it twice yesterday.

Both arrived just about on time when I got on. One arrived at its destination approx 5 late.
No traffic or delays en route - just passengers alighting and boarding.

I believe Lee kept saying that it was always late and it escalated from there.

(13 Jan 2016, 4:08 pm)DanPicken I believe Lee kept saying that it was always late and it escalated from there.
Oh well then say no more. I think I've the 82/82A late twice, it was only by a couple of minutes and iirc, both had wheelchairs on.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 13 Jan 2016

(13 Jan 2016, 12:33 am)Bus_User How is it an farce Dan? What can you do when the OHL failed? There must be a reason why its always seems to be between Pelaw and Brockley where it fails yet elsewhere on the Sunderland line, it seems fine so surely it can't be the design of the OHL like someone suggested?

It needs to be investigated because it is too often and I like to think Nexus are involved in it and not just leaving it to NR.

I also hope if you do finally get a car you leave plenty of time for your journey to work as your likely to encounter delays when driving along the A194...

It's a farce because customers, for the second time in as many months, are facing a major outage spanning multiple days. On top of that, neither the owner of the system or the operator, have managed to implement suitable and a demand responsive contingency plan. To make matters even worse, the two of them together seem incapable of providing proper and effect communication.

Most passengers couldn't give a stuff what the reason is for outage and who is to blame. They simply want the service that they've paid a lot of money to have access to. Most would even settle for a suitable alternative, on the occasion that things do go wrong.

The problem is that it's not an occasional thing. It's every single day, and it's becoming apparent that the operator is out of it's depth.

(13 Jan 2016, 7:11 pm)Adrian It's a farce because customers, for the second time in as many months, are facing a major outage spanning multiple days. On top of that, neither the owner of the system or the operator, have managed to implement suitable and a demand responsive contingency plan. To make matters even worse, the two of them together seem incapable of providing proper and effect communication.

Most passengers couldn't give a stuff what the reason is for outage and who is to blame. They simply want the service that they've paid a lot of money to have access to. Most would even settle for a suitable alternative, on the occasion that things do go wrong.

The problem is that it's not an occasional thing. It's every single day, and it's becoming apparent that the operator is out of it's depth.

Passengers get even more annoyed as the prices went up for a worse service.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Adrian - 13 Jan 2016

(13 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm)DanPicken Passengers get even more annoyed as the prices went up for a worse service.

Apparently bus operators haven't been accepting tickets either, according to that Facebook group? Someone in Metro must have made the call not to agree something for today. How nice of them.

(13 Jan 2016, 7:14 pm)Adrian Apparently bus operators haven't been accepting tickets either, according to that Facebook group? Someone in Metro must have made the call not to agree something for today. How nice of them.

They won't as there's a 900 running now which will get them on providing the aren't disabled/have pram.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - BJ10VUS - 13 Jan 2016

Would a reduced service help? It would mean that more spares were available, and more time could be dedicated for maintanance. It's obviously not as simple as that, but I reckon some of the Pelaw to South Gosforth "peak extras" could be sacrificed, as well as even just reducing the daytime service to every 15 minutes, rather than every 12. An extra few minutes to wait, but having more chance of a Metro actually arriving.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - South Tyne Lad - 13 Jan 2016

The problem is so noticeable to me yet NEXUS or Network Rail cant seem to identify the problem.
Like my post from earlier, All of the Infrastructure on the Pelaw to South Hylton ( Excluding Signals which are typical 4 Aspects ) is Non Standard on Network Rail and even the rest of the Tyne And Wear Metro Network too listed below :

OLE ( Wires and Gantrys that hold them ) Is non standard and the same type cant be found on any other system in the UK ( Including Heavy Rail ) and is used for TRAM LINES in Continental Europe NOT MAIN LINE RUNNING in the UK no one is familiar with the type and the Manufacturer is somewhere in Europe.

It is also different to the rest of the Metros Electric equipment ( Which sub types of this equipment can be found in the UK ), If all of the equipment was the same system wide there would rarely be Major Fualts constantly happening due to the National knowledge of the type.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Michael - 14 Jan 2016

Tyne & Wear Metro

Metro tickets can only be used on the replacement bus 900 or the Northern Rail service Sunderland to Newcastle.

RE: Tyne and Wear Metro - Andreos1 - 14 Jan 2016

Someone from DB Regio was on Radio Newcastle earlier, they stated the source of the fault had been identified and it was water in the OLE that was causing the issue.

The repairs were compounded with the line being live for Northern services.

Hopefully sorted by tomorrow.