Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 196 97 98146 Next
BusLoverMum

05 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm #1,921
(05 Jan 2016, 5:32 pm)Adrian Only 26% think that Metro is good enough, according to that poll.

It seems that almost everybody, bar Nexus and DB, think that the Metro is an absolute joke. Only three days have I attempted to use it whilst I've been on leave over Christmas, and on each occasion there's been an issue. I feel sorry for the regular commuters.

I do wish that Nexus had kept their own discussion forum open, as some of the comments on there these days would be comical. Hopefully they'll just read through this thread instead.

It used to be brilliant, back in the day, too. Dirt cheap (just 20p from Felling to Newcastle when I moved there, as it was still heavily subsidised) and 3 trains every 10 minutes through the central bit, meaning that it was no hardship to let a train pass for a quieter one. I think it's suffered from expanding its range because it's never really increased its true capacity.
BusLoverMum
05 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm #1,921

(05 Jan 2016, 5:32 pm)Adrian Only 26% think that Metro is good enough, according to that poll.

It seems that almost everybody, bar Nexus and DB, think that the Metro is an absolute joke. Only three days have I attempted to use it whilst I've been on leave over Christmas, and on each occasion there's been an issue. I feel sorry for the regular commuters.

I do wish that Nexus had kept their own discussion forum open, as some of the comments on there these days would be comical. Hopefully they'll just read through this thread instead.

It used to be brilliant, back in the day, too. Dirt cheap (just 20p from Felling to Newcastle when I moved there, as it was still heavily subsidised) and 3 trains every 10 minutes through the central bit, meaning that it was no hardship to let a train pass for a quieter one. I think it's suffered from expanding its range because it's never really increased its true capacity.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Jan 2016, 6:07 am #1,922
Just twelve minutes after 'Disruption cleared' was posted on their Facebook page, Metro are now reporting systemwide delays due to a points failure at Jesmond.

Looks like the first one out of Sunderland today is 25 minutes late.

Getting to the point where I feel I cannot rely on the system enough without checking Social Media and Real Time Trains prior to travelling (and it's embarrassing that a third party source has to be used to check real time information due to the lack of an 'official' app - but that's another point of discussion!)

We recently discussed Social Media seemingly being used as the choice of preference to advise customers of upcoming diversions to bus services on another area of the forum - it seems to be the only method of communication used by Metro! What about the customers who don't have access to Social Media?
Dan
07 Jan 2016, 6:07 am #1,922

Just twelve minutes after 'Disruption cleared' was posted on their Facebook page, Metro are now reporting systemwide delays due to a points failure at Jesmond.

Getting to the point where I feel I cannot rely on the system enough without checking Social Media and Real Time Trains prior to travelling (and it's embarrassing that a third party source has to be used to check real time information due to the lack of an 'official' app - but that's another point of discussion!)

We recently discussed Social Media seemingly being used as the choice of preference to advise customers of upcoming diversions to bus services on another area of the forum - it seems to be the only method of communication used by Metro! What about the customers who don't have access to Social Media?

Michael

07 Jan 2016, 7:53 am #1,923
(07 Jan 2016, 6:07 am)Dan Just twelve minutes after 'Disruption cleared' was posted on their Facebook page, Metro are now reporting systemwide delays due to a points failure at Jesmond.

Not the only one Dan!, I don't have to use the metro much until the 1st February so that's good for me... but the bus is even worse... takes to long... think i'll be sticking to Northern trains when i'm back at uni....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
07 Jan 2016, 7:53 am #1,923

(07 Jan 2016, 6:07 am)Dan Just twelve minutes after 'Disruption cleared' was posted on their Facebook page, Metro are now reporting systemwide delays due to a points failure at Jesmond.

Not the only one Dan!, I don't have to use the metro much until the 1st February so that's good for me... but the bus is even worse... takes to long... think i'll be sticking to Northern trains when i'm back at uni....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

07 Jan 2016, 8:06 am #1,924
Cant you get email alerts to?
idiot
07 Jan 2016, 8:06 am #1,924

Cant you get email alerts to?

07 Jan 2016, 11:17 am #1,925
On a train towards Sunderland now - only 5 late.

There are at least 2 trains with drivers under instruction on the notwork today.
omnicity4659
07 Jan 2016, 11:17 am #1,925

On a train towards Sunderland now - only 5 late.

There are at least 2 trains with drivers under instruction on the notwork today.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Jan 2016, 11:55 am #1,926
(07 Jan 2016, 8:06 am)idiot Cant you get email alerts to?

You can, but the e-mail alerts aren't the best.

For example, the e-mail alert I received this morning advised of no disruption to service.
Dan
07 Jan 2016, 11:55 am #1,926

(07 Jan 2016, 8:06 am)idiot Cant you get email alerts to?

You can, but the e-mail alerts aren't the best.

For example, the e-mail alert I received this morning advised of no disruption to service.

Michael

12 Jan 2016, 7:21 am #1,927
There are no trains running between Pelaw and Brockley Whins in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. go north east accepting metro tickets 27 5 x88 We will update you once we have more information.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Jan 2016, 7:21 am #1,927

There are no trains running between Pelaw and Brockley Whins in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. go north east accepting metro tickets 27 5 x88 We will update you once we have more information.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2016, 7:34 am #1,928
(12 Jan 2016, 7:21 am)Michael There are no trains running between Pelaw and Brockley Whins in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. go north east accepting metro tickets 27 5 x88 We will update you once we have more information.

What an absolute farce.
Dan
12 Jan 2016, 7:34 am #1,928

(12 Jan 2016, 7:21 am)Michael There are no trains running between Pelaw and Brockley Whins in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. go north east accepting metro tickets 27 5 x88 We will update you once we have more information.

What an absolute farce.

DanPicken

Banned

12 Jan 2016, 8:06 am #1,929
(12 Jan 2016, 7:34 am)Dan What an absolute farce.

And there's and MPD on the 88 I believe.
DanPicken
12 Jan 2016, 8:06 am #1,929

And there's and MPD on the 88 I believe.

Michael

12 Jan 2016, 8:10 am #1,930

Yup... glad i'm not using it as much now...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Jan 2016, 8:10 am #1,930

Yup... glad i'm not using it as much now...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jan 2016, 8:12 am #1,931
(12 Jan 2016, 8:10 am)Michael Yup... glad i'm not using it as much now...

Aye - alright for some!

I passed my car test last month, so as soon as I can afford to buy a decent car, I'm ditching the Metro.

I pity those who have to pay money to use the system.
Dan
12 Jan 2016, 8:12 am #1,931

(12 Jan 2016, 8:10 am)Michael Yup... glad i'm not using it as much now...

Aye - alright for some!

I passed my car test last month, so as soon as I can afford to buy a decent car, I'm ditching the Metro.

Michael

12 Jan 2016, 8:17 am #1,932
(12 Jan 2016, 8:12 am)Dan Aye - alright for some!

Me too, its time someone did something about it... taking the water now!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Jan 2016, 8:17 am #1,932

(12 Jan 2016, 8:12 am)Dan Aye - alright for some!

Me too, its time someone did something about it... taking the water now!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

BusLoverMum

12 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm #1,933

It's knackered, innit?
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...g-10720600
BusLoverMum
12 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm #1,933

It's knackered, innit?

Andreos1

12 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm #1,934
(12 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm)BusLoverMum It's knackered, innit?

I had a feeling it would be on the Network Rail owned/managed stretch.
Edited 12 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm #1,934

(12 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm)BusLoverMum It's knackered, innit?

I had a feeling it would be on the Network Rail owned/managed stretch.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Adrian

12 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm #1,935
Typical lack of apathy we've come to expect from Metro and Nexus. The people they're apologising to are their customers, not network rail's. It's up to them to manage their 3rd party relationships, and they really need to stop passing it off.

Nexus inability to manage suppliers in a system that they own, is frankly embarrassing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm #1,935

Typical lack of apathy we've come to expect from Metro and Nexus. The people they're apologising to are their customers, not network rail's. It's up to them to manage their 3rd party relationships, and they really need to stop passing it off.

Nexus inability to manage suppliers in a system that they own, is frankly embarrassing.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

12 Jan 2016, 4:44 pm #1,936
I don't think its Network Rails fault that the Overhead Wires round Brockely Whins is failing 24-7, There fault lies with the Overhead Equipment NEXUS chose for the section from Pelaw to South Hylton.
The overhead catenary I believe is Manufactured somewhere in Continental Europe and is not used on any other light or Heavy rail system in the UK ( Making it hard to source quick replacement parts ) and no knowledge of the Type of Gantrys used which just about says it all, add that to the fact there was no provision for future Electrification to 25KV AC for main line through running and that the project was Poundland quality ( Like all NEXUS Projects ) Also the only section of the whole network that's Unprofitable is Pelaw to South Hylton.

The Metrocars ( Class 994s ) are derived from the Stadtbahnwagen B which is a street tram in German which are only meant to serve stops every few hundred meters not 2 and a half Miles ( Between Fellgate and Pelaw. Pelaw to South Hylton is a Tram Train service served using only Tram style trains and so means there tottaly inappropriate to run the service for any amount of years never mind 13 Years. Until Common Sense prevails and the 994s get kicked out early with New Dual Voltage TRAM-TRAIN style Metrocars suited to this service and the Luaghable Infrastructure in place gets replaced by 25KV AC to allow Durham Coast electrification only then will this service work.

Or preferably just Electrify the line and run it as a Northern service using EMUs
Edited 12 Jan 2016, 4:46 pm by South Tyne Lad.
South Tyne Lad
12 Jan 2016, 4:44 pm #1,936

I don't think its Network Rails fault that the Overhead Wires round Brockely Whins is failing 24-7, There fault lies with the Overhead Equipment NEXUS chose for the section from Pelaw to South Hylton.
The overhead catenary I believe is Manufactured somewhere in Continental Europe and is not used on any other light or Heavy rail system in the UK ( Making it hard to source quick replacement parts ) and no knowledge of the Type of Gantrys used which just about says it all, add that to the fact there was no provision for future Electrification to 25KV AC for main line through running and that the project was Poundland quality ( Like all NEXUS Projects ) Also the only section of the whole network that's Unprofitable is Pelaw to South Hylton.

The Metrocars ( Class 994s ) are derived from the Stadtbahnwagen B which is a street tram in German which are only meant to serve stops every few hundred meters not 2 and a half Miles ( Between Fellgate and Pelaw. Pelaw to South Hylton is a Tram Train service served using only Tram style trains and so means there tottaly inappropriate to run the service for any amount of years never mind 13 Years. Until Common Sense prevails and the 994s get kicked out early with New Dual Voltage TRAM-TRAIN style Metrocars suited to this service and the Luaghable Infrastructure in place gets replaced by 25KV AC to allow Durham Coast electrification only then will this service work.

Or preferably just Electrify the line and run it as a Northern service using EMUs

Bus_User

13 Jan 2016, 12:33 am #1,937

How is it an farce Dan? What can you do when the OHL failed? There must be a reason why its always seems to be between Pelaw and Brockley where it fails yet elsewhere on the Sunderland line, it seems fine so surely it can't be the design of the OHL like someone suggested?

It needs to be investigated because it is too often and I like to think Nexus are involved in it and not just leaving it to NR.

I also hope if you do finally get a car you leave plenty of time for your journey to work as your likely to encounter delays when driving along the A194...
Bus_User
13 Jan 2016, 12:33 am #1,937

How is it an farce Dan? What can you do when the OHL failed? There must be a reason why its always seems to be between Pelaw and Brockley where it fails yet elsewhere on the Sunderland line, it seems fine so surely it can't be the design of the OHL like someone suggested?

It needs to be investigated because it is too often and I like to think Nexus are involved in it and not just leaving it to NR.

I also hope if you do finally get a car you leave plenty of time for your journey to work as your likely to encounter delays when driving along the A194...

13 Jan 2016, 12:40 am #1,938
(13 Jan 2016, 12:33 am)Bus_User How is it an farce Dan? What can you do when the OHL failed? There must be a reason why its always seems to be between Pelaw and Brockley where it fails yet elsewhere on the Sunderland line, it seems fine so surely it can't be the design of the OHL like someone suggested?

The entire system is a farce, the lack of decent management and customer services are beggars belief. 

Metro has a policy that it no longer published generic reasons for delays, but is always quick to blame Network Rail anywhere past Pelaw Jn. 

The A194 isn't bad at rush hour imo, usually the Tunnel that causes delays though.
omnicity4659
13 Jan 2016, 12:40 am #1,938

(13 Jan 2016, 12:33 am)Bus_User How is it an farce Dan? What can you do when the OHL failed? There must be a reason why its always seems to be between Pelaw and Brockley where it fails yet elsewhere on the Sunderland line, it seems fine so surely it can't be the design of the OHL like someone suggested?

The entire system is a farce, the lack of decent management and customer services are beggars belief. 

Metro has a policy that it no longer published generic reasons for delays, but is always quick to blame Network Rail anywhere past Pelaw Jn. 

The A194 isn't bad at rush hour imo, usually the Tunnel that causes delays though.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jan 2016, 7:02 am #1,939

The fact that, yet again, the overhead line has failed on this section of the system. When is the penny going to drop that this is a recurring issue, which needs to be investigated (by all parties), so as to avoid further disruption to customers?

My 35-minute morning commute took two hours yesterday, and that was with using normal public services which were delayed for various reasons (but the one relevant to this thread is the fact that Metro customers were attempting to board with their Metro tickets which weren't being accepted on buses between Sunderland, Heworth, Gateshead and Newcastle).

The buses accepting tickets yesterday morning during the disruption (88 and 27) would have a journey time between Brockley Whins and Heworth of 30 minutes - this does not take into consideration connection times, nor does it take into consideration that buses could go past out of service due to being fully-loaded (an oh too common occurrence when there's issues with the Metro!) Paired with the normal journey times on the Metro, between Park Lane and Brockley Whins then Heworth and Central Station as an example, you're looking at least double the normal journey time. In reality it's going to take a lot more time than that!

Communication on Social Media leaves a lot to be desired, and it seems like (yet again), the utmost priority is to address that it is a Network Rail issue, rather than explaining the issue to customers, advising of alternative travel arrangements, and, most importantly, apologising. They were expecting to have everything back up and running today, but it took them until 06:00am to advise that Metros were still off? Taking into account the increased journey times (as given above), that sort of short notice is not acceptable.

I'm just thankful that I put three days annual leave in for the rest of this week, as the chaos continues today... As for my travel arrangements when I'm driving - it'll be Wessington Way and A1 to Team Valley. The traffic isn't half as bad on this route compared to the Felling Bypass after 8am/5pm. Either way, it wouldn't take me two hours to get to work, like it did yesterday...
Dan
13 Jan 2016, 7:02 am #1,939

The fact that, yet again, the overhead line has failed on this section of the system. When is the penny going to drop that this is a recurring issue, which needs to be investigated (by all parties), so as to avoid further disruption to customers?

My 35-minute morning commute took two hours yesterday, and that was with using normal public services which were delayed for various reasons (but the one relevant to this thread is the fact that Metro customers were attempting to board with their Metro tickets which weren't being accepted on buses between Sunderland, Heworth, Gateshead and Newcastle).

The buses accepting tickets yesterday morning during the disruption (88 and 27) would have a journey time between Brockley Whins and Heworth of 30 minutes - this does not take into consideration connection times, nor does it take into consideration that buses could go past out of service due to being fully-loaded (an oh too common occurrence when there's issues with the Metro!) Paired with the normal journey times on the Metro, between Park Lane and Brockley Whins then Heworth and Central Station as an example, you're looking at least double the normal journey time. In reality it's going to take a lot more time than that!

Communication on Social Media leaves a lot to be desired, and it seems like (yet again), the utmost priority is to address that it is a Network Rail issue, rather than explaining the issue to customers, advising of alternative travel arrangements, and, most importantly, apologising. They were expecting to have everything back up and running today, but it took them until 06:00am to advise that Metros were still off? Taking into account the increased journey times (as given above), that sort of short notice is not acceptable.

I'm just thankful that I put three days annual leave in for the rest of this week, as the chaos continues today... As for my travel arrangements when I'm driving - it'll be Wessington Way and A1 to Team Valley. The traffic isn't half as bad on this route compared to the Felling Bypass after 8am/5pm. Either way, it wouldn't take me two hours to get to work, like it did yesterday...

DanPicken

Banned

13 Jan 2016, 7:44 am #1,940
(13 Jan 2016, 7:02 am)Dan The fact that, yet again, the overhead line has failed on this section of the system. When is the penny going to drop that this is a recurring issue, which needs to be investigated (by all parties), so as to avoid further disruption to customers?

I'm thankful my appointment in Newcastle was changed from today to the 27th, although I don't mind getting the 900 as its more reliable than the Metro.
DanPicken
13 Jan 2016, 7:44 am #1,940

(13 Jan 2016, 7:02 am)Dan The fact that, yet again, the overhead line has failed on this section of the system. When is the penny going to drop that this is a recurring issue, which needs to be investigated (by all parties), so as to avoid further disruption to customers?

I'm thankful my appointment in Newcastle was changed from today to the 27th, although I don't mind getting the 900 as its more reliable than the Metro.

Pages (146) Previous 196 97 98146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average