North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Cameras

Cameras

Cameras

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next
MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
17 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm
If i win 40 million tomorrow night...I will be buying the absolute best camera money can buy Big Grin
MrFozz
17 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm #61

If i win 40 million tomorrow night...I will be buying the absolute best camera money can buy Big Grin

17 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm
(17 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm)marxistafozzski If i win 40 million tomorrow night...I will be buying the absolute best camera money can buy Big Grin
Buy me one as well mate!

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
17 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm #62

(17 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm)marxistafozzski If i win 40 million tomorrow night...I will be buying the absolute best camera money can buy Big Grin
Buy me one as well mate!

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
17 Apr 2014, 9:15 pm
(17 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm)northern156 Buy me one as well mate!

Lol...with 40m I could probably buy enough cameras to go round the whole of NEB and every member of there family lol
MrFozz
17 Apr 2014, 9:15 pm #63

(17 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm)northern156 Buy me one as well mate!

Lol...with 40m I could probably buy enough cameras to go round the whole of NEB and every member of there family lol

Tom
08 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm
What does everyone think of this photo taken with my new camera? Any tips/improvements would be welcome Smile

[Image: DSC00352_zps996e1014.jpg]
Tom
08 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm #64

What does everyone think of this photo taken with my new camera? Any tips/improvements would be welcome Smile

08 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm
(08 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm)Tom What does everyone think of this photo taken with my new camera? Any tips/improvements would be welcome Smile

I like it! What camera is it?

northern156
08 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm #65

(08 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm)Tom What does everyone think of this photo taken with my new camera? Any tips/improvements would be welcome Smile

I like it! What camera is it?

Tom
08 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm
(08 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm)northern156 I like it! What camera is it?

Sony NEX-6 Smile
Tom
08 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm #66

(08 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm)northern156 I like it! What camera is it?

Sony NEX-6 Smile

08 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm
(08 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm)Tom Sony NEX-6 Smile
Is it a DSLR or compact? Looks like a mixture of both from a quick Google search!

northern156
08 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm #67

(08 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm)Tom Sony NEX-6 Smile
Is it a DSLR or compact? Looks like a mixture of both from a quick Google search!

Tom
08 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm
(08 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm)northern156 Is it a DSLR or compact? Looks like a mixture of both from a quick Google search!

DSLR.
Tom
08 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm #68

(08 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm)northern156 Is it a DSLR or compact? Looks like a mixture of both from a quick Google search!

DSLR.

04 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm
I'm interested in buying a camera (and potentially taking up photography as a hobby) so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy.

Ideally, I would like a DSLR and I'm prepared to pay around £300-400. However, because I'm a absolute novice, is it worth buying one? Should I settle for something less?

As well as photos, I'd like to shoot the occasional video too. Most DSLR cameras appear to do both, but is the quality any good?

I would also like to know what the battery life is like on DSLR cameras?

Give me your recommendations.

Cheers.   
MurdnunoC
04 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm #69

I'm interested in buying a camera (and potentially taking up photography as a hobby) so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy.

Ideally, I would like a DSLR and I'm prepared to pay around £300-400. However, because I'm a absolute novice, is it worth buying one? Should I settle for something less?

As well as photos, I'd like to shoot the occasional video too. Most DSLR cameras appear to do both, but is the quality any good?

Cheers.   

Dan
Site Administrator
04 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm
Aureolin recommended that I got the Nikon D5100 and I have not regretted it. Although I had the experience of a more complex Point & Shoot beforehand, having a DSLR was a completely new experience to me, too. In my opinion, your photos improve over time with it, as you learn more about the camera.

I've heard that Canons are your best bet for videos, though.

I very rarely have to charge my D5100. In the summer I was going out from sunrise until the very last bus of the night on some occasions and I think I went about three days without charging it - and I'm rather trigger happy and take between 3 and 5 shots of one bus as it approaches (to ensure the destination display comes out).
Dan
04 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm #70

Aureolin recommended that I got the Nikon D5100 and I have not regretted it. Although I had the experience of a more complex Point & Shoot beforehand, having a DSLR was a completely new experience to me, too. In my opinion, your photos improve over time with it, as you learn more about the camera.

I've heard that Canons are your best bet for videos, though.

I very rarely have to charge my D5100. In the summer I was going out from sunrise until the very last bus of the night on some occasions and I think I went about three days without charging it - and I'm rather trigger happy and take between 3 and 5 shots of one bus as it approaches (to ensure the destination display comes out).

04 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm
(04 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm)MurdnunoC I'm interested in buying a camera (and potentially taking up photography as a hobby) so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy.

Cheers.   

Nikon. I'd swear by them, but the Canon EOS range are also very good. The only thing to be aware of with a DSLR, is obviously you're not going to get the optical super zoom of a point and shoot, well unless you fork out for a range of lenses. If you take a look at Jessops, some of the D3xxx range cameras are well within your budget, and will include the 18-55mm VR lens, which is what me and Dan have on our D5100s. 

Great thing about DSLRs too is that you can just shoot in RAW format. This captures a massive amount of data around each shot, so you can just pull it into Photoshop or Lightroom, and adjust readjust your exposure and levels using CameraRAW. If you tried doing it with a JPEG, it tends to distort the image.

(04 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm)Dan I very rarely have to charge my D5100. In the summer I was going out from sunrise until the very last bus of the night on some occasions and I think I went about three days without charging it - and I'm rather trigger happy and take between 3 and 5 shots of one bus as it approaches (to ensure the destination display comes out).

I'm completely the same. I've been out most days over the two week Christmas break, took well over 2000 individual shots, and I'm still on a 3/3 battery bars according to my camera. I did however invest in a spare battery that I keep charged, which came in handy when I was at the Metrocentre rally back in May.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm #71

(04 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm)MurdnunoC I'm interested in buying a camera (and potentially taking up photography as a hobby) so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy.

Cheers.   

Nikon. I'd swear by them, but the Canon EOS range are also very good. The only thing to be aware of with a DSLR, is obviously you're not going to get the optical super zoom of a point and shoot, well unless you fork out for a range of lenses. If you take a look at Jessops, some of the D3xxx range cameras are well within your budget, and will include the 18-55mm VR lens, which is what me and Dan have on our D5100s. 

Great thing about DSLRs too is that you can just shoot in RAW format. This captures a massive amount of data around each shot, so you can just pull it into Photoshop or Lightroom, and adjust readjust your exposure and levels using CameraRAW. If you tried doing it with a JPEG, it tends to distort the image.

(04 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm)Dan I very rarely have to charge my D5100. In the summer I was going out from sunrise until the very last bus of the night on some occasions and I think I went about three days without charging it - and I'm rather trigger happy and take between 3 and 5 shots of one bus as it approaches (to ensure the destination display comes out).

I'm completely the same. I've been out most days over the two week Christmas break, took well over 2000 individual shots, and I'm still on a 3/3 battery bars according to my camera. I did however invest in a spare battery that I keep charged, which came in handy when I was at the Metrocentre rally back in May.

05 Jan 2015, 11:20 am
Thanks for the advice.

Although this is way out of my league (as of yet), I would like to produce shots which could be 'blown-up' like a large print picture. From what I understand, if this is attempted using a 'normal' camera, shots have a tendency to become distorted and pixelated when enlarged. Will taking shots with a DSLR prevent this from happening?
MurdnunoC
05 Jan 2015, 11:20 am #72

Thanks for the advice.

Although this is way out of my league (as of yet), I would like to produce shots which could be 'blown-up' like a large print picture. From what I understand, if this is attempted using a 'normal' camera, shots have a tendency to become distorted and pixelated when enlarged. Will taking shots with a DSLR prevent this from happening?

Dan
Site Administrator
05 Jan 2015, 11:34 am
(05 Jan 2015, 11:20 am)MurdnunoC Thanks for the advice.

The quality of the enlarged photograph depends on the largest image size your chosen camera would permit. The 'large' setting on my Nikon D5100 allows photographs to be 4928x3264 pixels in size, which is quite large and allows for enough scope for the photographs to be cropped whilst maintaining quality. The same applied to my old Panasonic DMC-TZ40 Point & Shoot.

Last year, Go North East approached me to ask if they could use some of my photographs in their Riverside Depot. There was two A1-size frames, with enough space for an A2-size photograph within each frame. The photographs that Go North East selected were of the Wearmouth and Tyne Bridges, containing some of Go North East's fleet in them. As you can imagine, if the quality of these photographs was not good enough, they wouldn't have been put up, due to the large amount of people who go into Riverside. The Fab56 was taken with my Nikon D5100 and the QuayLink was taken with my Panasonic DMC-TZ40, but both retained the quality at such a large size.

You won't be able to make it out very well - but photographs of both frames attached.
.jpg
gne_riversidepic1.jpg
Size: 31.41 KB / Downloads: 27

.jpg
GNE_riversidepic2.jpg
Size: 31.29 KB / Downloads: 26
Dan
05 Jan 2015, 11:34 am #73

(05 Jan 2015, 11:20 am)MurdnunoC Thanks for the advice.

The quality of the enlarged photograph depends on the largest image size your chosen camera would permit. The 'large' setting on my Nikon D5100 allows photographs to be 4928x3264 pixels in size, which is quite large and allows for enough scope for the photographs to be cropped whilst maintaining quality. The same applied to my old Panasonic DMC-TZ40 Point & Shoot.

Last year, Go North East approached me to ask if they could use some of my photographs in their Riverside Depot. There was two A1-size frames, with enough space for an A2-size photograph within each frame. The photographs that Go North East selected were of the Wearmouth and Tyne Bridges, containing some of Go North East's fleet in them. As you can imagine, if the quality of these photographs was not good enough, they wouldn't have been put up, due to the large amount of people who go into Riverside. The Fab56 was taken with my Nikon D5100 and the QuayLink was taken with my Panasonic DMC-TZ40, but both retained the quality at such a large size.

You won't be able to make it out very well - but photographs of both frames attached.
.jpg
gne_riversidepic1.jpg
Size: 31.41 KB / Downloads: 27

.jpg
GNE_riversidepic2.jpg
Size: 31.29 KB / Downloads: 26

03 Feb 2015, 11:02 am
At the moment I've got a Samsung WB250F and an Olympus SZ-14. The Olympus, well, is utter shite for trains, buses, planes or for anything that moves over 1mph. The Samsung , although battered, somehow been bitten (I don't know?), been dropped, been in sand, still works brilliantly - bar the zoom feature which is incredibly slow.
omnicity4659
03 Feb 2015, 11:02 am #74

At the moment I've got a Samsung WB250F and an Olympus SZ-14. The Olympus, well, is utter shite for trains, buses, planes or for anything that moves over 1mph. The Samsung , although battered, somehow been bitten (I don't know?), been dropped, been in sand, still works brilliantly - bar the zoom feature which is incredibly slow.

07 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm
Hi, I am currently looking to replace my little Sony DSC-WX200 camera with a DSLR camera, although I am completely clueless on cameras.

I would like to know if images are less likely to come out blurred than they probably would on my compact Sony camera (especially with moving buses). And would the image quality be noticeably better than my photos on my current camera. Downside to a DSLR from what I can see is that you can't zoom in, unless you fork out a fortune for lenses so I would probably just have to crop all my photos before uploading to Flickr.

I'm currently not sure how much I want to spend on a camera right now but I'm probably looking at around the £300 - £400 mark, having a quick look at the Argos catalogue one I'm currently looking at is the Nikon D3200 which costs around £270 in the Argos catalogue and Currys website, this one probably would be a good call for me but I am also having a look at the Nikon D5200 but it costs around £450 although Currys have it for £429 but I'm not sure if I would want to spend this much on a camera and would be worth the extra £150 over the Nikon D3200.

I want to know what you think I should do and which I should go for, or if you have any other camera suggestions.

I plan to keep my Sony DSC-WX200 camera for when a DSLR would be too bulky to carry and it still comes out with some great quality photos especially in the summer - this being one of my favourites.
Jimmi
07 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm #75

Hi, I am currently looking to replace my little Sony DSC-WX200 camera with a DSLR camera, although I am completely clueless on cameras.

I would like to know if images are less likely to come out blurred than they probably would on my compact Sony camera (especially with moving buses). And would the image quality be noticeably better than my photos on my current camera. Downside to a DSLR from what I can see is that you can't zoom in, unless you fork out a fortune for lenses so I would probably just have to crop all my photos before uploading to Flickr.

I'm currently not sure how much I want to spend on a camera right now but I'm probably looking at around the £300 - £400 mark, having a quick look at the Argos catalogue one I'm currently looking at is the Nikon D3200 which costs around £270 in the Argos catalogue and Currys website, this one probably would be a good call for me but I am also having a look at the Nikon D5200 but it costs around £450 although Currys have it for £429 but I'm not sure if I would want to spend this much on a camera and would be worth the extra £150 over the Nikon D3200.

I want to know what you think I should do and which I should go for, or if you have any other camera suggestions.

I plan to keep my Sony DSC-WX200 camera for when a DSLR would be too bulky to carry and it still comes out with some great quality photos especially in the summer - this being one of my favourites.

07 Feb 2015, 4:41 pm
(07 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm)Jimmi Hi, I am currently looking to replace my little Sony DSC-WX200 camera with a DSLR camera, although I am completely clueless on cameras.

I always find my Olympus SZ-14 a handy little camera... although if I take photos in the shade, it's rubbish. (Arriva 7529 in the shade)

A DSLR is too expensive for me, especially with the amount of cameras that I've been through over the years.
omnicity4659
07 Feb 2015, 4:41 pm #76

(07 Feb 2015, 3:07 pm)Jimmi Hi, I am currently looking to replace my little Sony DSC-WX200 camera with a DSLR camera, although I am completely clueless on cameras.

I always find my Olympus SZ-14 a handy little camera... although if I take photos in the shade, it's rubbish. (Arriva 7529 in the shade)

A DSLR is too expensive for me, especially with the amount of cameras that I've been through over the years.

07 Feb 2015, 9:13 pm
Jimmi I'd recommend going to a shop and getting a feel for different DSLRs first, as compared to what you're used to, it'll feel really bulky. I've got the D5100, which will be broadly similar to the D5200, and although bulky, it feels comfortable. 

I can take fast shutter shots during the day, and I never have issues with blurring. Even if you don't want to piss around with settings, you have the benefit of sport mode, which will allow you to shoot buses in motion. I know with my D5100, the shutter speed can be adjusted to perform a multi-shot rapid fire, so you can just compensate by taking 5-6 pictures for each shot.

You obviously don't get an optical zoom with a DSLR, but I take all my photos with the same 18-55 lens you'd get with the D5100. Dan will have the same lens with his D5100 too. Just take large photos and crop them down, and you'll have no issues. 

Both the D3200 and D5200 are great prices, and I'd be happy with both, but I'd push towards the D5200 if you can afford to. The lens is much more capable when it comes to autofocus (39 point as oppose to 9), and the ISO sensitivity is better.

Adrian
07 Feb 2015, 9:13 pm #77

Jimmi I'd recommend going to a shop and getting a feel for different DSLRs first, as compared to what you're used to, it'll feel really bulky. I've got the D5100, which will be broadly similar to the D5200, and although bulky, it feels comfortable. 

I can take fast shutter shots during the day, and I never have issues with blurring. Even if you don't want to piss around with settings, you have the benefit of sport mode, which will allow you to shoot buses in motion. I know with my D5100, the shutter speed can be adjusted to perform a multi-shot rapid fire, so you can just compensate by taking 5-6 pictures for each shot.

You obviously don't get an optical zoom with a DSLR, but I take all my photos with the same 18-55 lens you'd get with the D5100. Dan will have the same lens with his D5100 too. Just take large photos and crop them down, and you'll have no issues. 

Both the D3200 and D5200 are great prices, and I'd be happy with both, but I'd push towards the D5200 if you can afford to. The lens is much more capable when it comes to autofocus (39 point as oppose to 9), and the ISO sensitivity is better.

Dan
Site Administrator
07 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm
100mph line speed - no blur at all with the D5100:
[Image: 16279797240_781b27ea1a.jpg]East Coast: 43315 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr
Dan
07 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm #78

100mph line speed - no blur at all with the D5100:
[Image: 16279797240_781b27ea1a.jpg]East Coast: 43315 by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

07 Feb 2015, 11:33 pm
What about Bridge Cameras? Are they any good?
MurdnunoC
07 Feb 2015, 11:33 pm #79

What about Bridge Cameras? Are they any good?

08 Feb 2015, 10:54 am
Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try and get a feel for a DSLR somewhere, it probably feel pretty bulky at first but I'll probably get used to it.

I am utterly useless at settings so I will probably just have to whack it in sports mode, although at least it seems I should get more shots turn out well instead of blurring.

I now know how to crop photos on Flickr so I have no problems with that, what I'm not going to do though is stand in the middle of the road to take photos like I saw someone do in Darlington the other day.

I still don't know which to go for as I could probably afford the D5200 but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a camera so I'd maybe go for the D3200. I'm still undecided at the moment as to which I will get.
Jimmi
08 Feb 2015, 10:54 am #80

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try and get a feel for a DSLR somewhere, it probably feel pretty bulky at first but I'll probably get used to it.

I am utterly useless at settings so I will probably just have to whack it in sports mode, although at least it seems I should get more shots turn out well instead of blurring.

I now know how to crop photos on Flickr so I have no problems with that, what I'm not going to do though is stand in the middle of the road to take photos like I saw someone do in Darlington the other day.

I still don't know which to go for as I could probably afford the D5200 but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a camera so I'd maybe go for the D3200. I'm still undecided at the moment as to which I will get.

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average