Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Other Operators Northumberland Independents Howard Snaiths

Howard Snaiths

Howard Snaiths

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (8): Previous 13 4 58 Next
30 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm
i dont know anything about the Company but i would say they must have tours and contract work to keep them going and have seen some quite new Coaches so i guess they must some decent work and this is just my view but i would think losing the school runs maybe a good thing as that type of work is hard on the Coach/Bus due to vandalism i bet a lot of firms would love just to do private tours and if possible OAPs as no bother at all any way thats just my view
BUSFAN
30 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm #61

i dont know anything about the Company but i would say they must have tours and contract work to keep them going and have seen some quite new Coaches so i guess they must some decent work and this is just my view but i would think losing the school runs maybe a good thing as that type of work is hard on the Coach/Bus due to vandalism i bet a lot of firms would love just to do private tours and if possible OAPs as no bother at all any way thats just my view

30 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm)BUSFAN i dont know anything about the Company but i would say they must have tours and contract work to keep them going and have seen some quite new Coaches so i guess they must some decent work and this is just my view but i would think losing the school runs maybe a good thing as that type of work is hard on the Coach/Bus due to vandalism i bet a lot of firms would love just to do private tours and if possible OAPs as no bother at all any way thats just my view

I believe that the vehicles used for the school contracts are not the luxury coaches used for private hire.

There may have been some overlap between school runs and scheduled services - which are 'infrequent' throughout the day.

AFAIK they still have their scheduled services from Hexham to Colwell, Whittonstall, Bellingham and Kielder and Otterburn to Bellingham, Ponteland and Newcastle:-
http://www.howardsnaith.co.uk/timetables.html
G-CPTN
30 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm #62

(30 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm)BUSFAN i dont know anything about the Company but i would say they must have tours and contract work to keep them going and have seen some quite new Coaches so i guess they must some decent work and this is just my view but i would think losing the school runs maybe a good thing as that type of work is hard on the Coach/Bus due to vandalism i bet a lot of firms would love just to do private tours and if possible OAPs as no bother at all any way thats just my view

I believe that the vehicles used for the school contracts are not the luxury coaches used for private hire.

There may have been some overlap between school runs and scheduled services - which are 'infrequent' throughout the day.

AFAIK they still have their scheduled services from Hexham to Colwell, Whittonstall, Bellingham and Kielder and Otterburn to Bellingham, Ponteland and Newcastle:-
http://www.howardsnaith.co.uk/timetables.html

30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm
Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27974644@N...ed-public/

I'd guess they won't be operating services much longer. I can't recall the last time I saw their normal service buses NK09FKR and YX60DXV
Text'en
30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm #63

Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

I'd guess they won't be operating services much longer. I can't recall the last time I saw their normal service buses NK09FKR and YX60DXV

Dan
Site Administrator
30 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)Texten Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

I wonder if we see Go North East expand its operations in Hexham, eh?

Doesn't look over healthy that bus, mind..!
Dan
30 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm #64

(30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)Texten Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

I wonder if we see Go North East expand its operations in Hexham, eh?

30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)Text Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

I'd guess they won't be operating services much longer.  I can't recall the last time I saw their normal service buses NK09FKR and YX60DXV

Imagine waiting for a bus in 2015, and the predecessor to a Metrorider turning up.... it's enough to give you nightmares that!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm #65

(30 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm)Text Given they have recently used a Ford Transit, and today an Optare StarRider;

I'd guess they won't be operating services much longer.  I can't recall the last time I saw their normal service buses NK09FKR and YX60DXV

Imagine waiting for a bus in 2015, and the predecessor to a Metrorider turning up.... it's enough to give you nightmares that!

30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm)Dan I wonder if we see Go North East expand its operations in Hexham, eh?

Could brand it... "North Tyne Links" Smile
Text'en
30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm #66

(30 Jun 2015, 6:15 pm)Dan I wonder if we see Go North East expand its operations in Hexham, eh?

Could brand it... "North Tyne Links" Smile

Tom
30 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm)Text Could brand it... "North Tyne Links" Smile

I think Tynedale Links would be more appropriate?
Tom
30 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm #67

(30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm)Text Could brand it... "North Tyne Links" Smile

I think Tynedale Links would be more appropriate?

30 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm)aureolin Imagine waiting for a bus in 2015, and the predecessor to a Metrorider turning up.... it's enough to give you nightmares that!

At least it isn't a CVE Omni . . .
G-CPTN
30 Jun 2015, 7:21 pm #68

(30 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm)aureolin Imagine waiting for a bus in 2015, and the predecessor to a Metrorider turning up.... it's enough to give you nightmares that!

At least it isn't a CVE Omni . . .

30 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm
Or Weardale could take on the work as they seem to be getting bigger and bigger
BUSFAN
30 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm #69

Or Weardale could take on the work as they seem to be getting bigger and bigger

30 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm)BUSFAN Or Weardale could take on the work as they seem to be getting bigger and bigger

Highly unlikely as Bellingham's a canny hike from their territory.
Text'en
30 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm #70

(30 Jun 2015, 7:26 pm)BUSFAN Or Weardale could take on the work as they seem to be getting bigger and bigger

Highly unlikely as Bellingham's a canny hike from their territory.

30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm)Text Highly unlikely as Bellingham's a canny hike from their territory.

I think Bellingham is a canny hike from anyone else's territory  Tongue
citaro5284
30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm #71

(30 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm)Text Highly unlikely as Bellingham's a canny hike from their territory.

I think Bellingham is a canny hike from anyone else's territory  Tongue

30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm)Tom I think Tynedale Links would be more appropriate?

880/2 serves The NORTH TYNE valley. I'm being ironic given the existence of North Tyne Links in Wallsend.
Text'en
30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm #72

(30 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm)Tom I think Tynedale Links would be more appropriate?

880/2 serves The NORTH TYNE valley. I'm being ironic given the existence of North Tyne Links in Wallsend.

30 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm

But they have Vehicles stored at the Hanover Dairies Depot in Blaydon though, so really it wouldnt be that much of a hike, but to be honest it would be easier and more cost effective if Go North East took over all of Snaiths Operations.
Malarkey
30 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm #73

But they have Vehicles stored at the Hanover Dairies Depot in Blaydon though, so really it wouldnt be that much of a hike, but to be honest it would be easier and more cost effective if Go North East took over all of Snaiths Operations.

30 Jun 2015, 7:58 pm
(30 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm)Malarkey But they have Vehicles stored at the Hanover Dairies Depot in Blaydon though, so really it wouldnt be that much of a hike, but to be honest it would be easier and more cost effective if Go North East took over all of Snaiths Operations.

Neither you nor I know that though, do we? That's why good commercial folk and consultants are worth their weight in gold.

Adrian
30 Jun 2015, 7:58 pm #74

(30 Jun 2015, 7:52 pm)Malarkey But they have Vehicles stored at the Hanover Dairies Depot in Blaydon though, so really it wouldnt be that much of a hike, but to be honest it would be easier and more cost effective if Go North East took over all of Snaiths Operations.

Neither you nor I know that though, do we? That's why good commercial folk and consultants are worth their weight in gold.

30 Jun 2015, 11:52 pm

if Snaiths are stopping doing these services at the end of the month, the County Councl will have to get a move on and award replacement contracts.
busmanT
30 Jun 2015, 11:52 pm #75

if Snaiths are stopping doing these services at the end of the month, the County Councl will have to get a move on and award replacement contracts.

01 Jul 2015, 1:25 am
(30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm)citaro5284 I think Bellingham is a canny hike from anyone else's territory  Tongue
Service 808 operates from Otterburn to Newcastle (via Ponteland Schools - at present), returning to Otterburn via Ponteland Schools.
Service 880 currently runs off a school run (leaving Hexham at 09:30 after dropping pupils and leaving Hexham at 15:45 after collecting pupils).
Service 882 currently interacts with the school service from Colwell to and from Hexham schools.
Service 915 operates from Otterburn to Bellingham, returning to Otterburn

This is the crux of the matter, with services operating from Kielder (even further than Bellingham) to Hexham (bringing passengers TO Hexham) there would be dead mileage without a local base such as Otterburn.
G-CPTN
01 Jul 2015, 1:25 am #76

(30 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm)citaro5284 I think Bellingham is a canny hike from anyone else's territory  Tongue
Service 808 operates from Otterburn to Newcastle (via Ponteland Schools - at present), returning to Otterburn via Ponteland Schools.
Service 880 currently runs off a school run (leaving Hexham at 09:30 after dropping pupils and leaving Hexham at 15:45 after collecting pupils).
Service 882 currently interacts with the school service from Colwell to and from Hexham schools.
Service 915 operates from Otterburn to Bellingham, returning to Otterburn

This is the crux of the matter, with services operating from Kielder (even further than Bellingham) to Hexham (bringing passengers TO Hexham) there would be dead mileage without a local base such as Otterburn.

01 Jul 2015, 7:32 am
can't see GNE being at all interested in running buses in such a sparse area... sounds more like a job for the likes of Spirit Buses to me...
eezypeazy
01 Jul 2015, 7:32 am #77

can't see GNE being at all interested in running buses in such a sparse area... sounds more like a job for the likes of Spirit Buses to me...

01 Jul 2015, 7:44 am
If Snaiths withdraw from the service routes it would be a good idea for anyone taking on the routes to approach Snaiths and enter into an out Station agreement. Snaiths would benefit by getting payment for vacant space on their site and the other operator saves on dead mileage.
GuyParkRoyal
01 Jul 2015, 7:44 am #78

If Snaiths withdraw from the service routes it would be a good idea for anyone taking on the routes to approach Snaiths and enter into an out Station agreement. Snaiths would benefit by getting payment for vacant space on their site and the other operator saves on dead mileage.

01 Jul 2015, 8:02 am
(01 Jul 2015, 7:32 am)eezypeazy can't see GNE being at all interested in running buses in such a sparse area... sounds more like a job for the likes of Spirit Buses to me...

You could argue that GNE already do operate in such areas .... 688 Hexham - Allenheads for example.
Text'en
01 Jul 2015, 8:02 am #79

(01 Jul 2015, 7:32 am)eezypeazy can't see GNE being at all interested in running buses in such a sparse area... sounds more like a job for the likes of Spirit Buses to me...

You could argue that GNE already do operate in such areas .... 688 Hexham - Allenheads for example.

01 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm
(01 Jul 2015, 8:02 am)Text You could argue that GNE already do operate in such areas .... 688 Hexham - Allenheads for example.

The Hexham to Allenheads is a legacy route that was operated by United Automobile Services way back when I was a youngster in the 1940s. 
There was a United outstation at Allenheads.

There were two routes IIRC, one operating to Allendale via Haydon Bridge (37?) and the other (38?) direct from Hexham.

The Haydon Bridge/Allendale route was established by Robert Emmerson in the late 1920s (it ran to Newcastle) - leading to closure of the passenger railway services to Allendale in 1930. The goods only line closed in 1950. Emmerson was a subsidiary of United

United morphed into Arriva NorthEast via Northumbria Motor Services (and British Bus) and then Hexham-based operations were taken over by GoNorthEast.

So far I have not seen evidence of Snaiths losing their operating licence (other than withdrawal of schools by Northumberland County Council and North Tyneside Council).
The situation WRT North Tyne scheduled services (which are, presumably, subsidised by NCC) could reduce Snaiths to a private hire operator (though, even that would be subject to the Traffic Commissioners decision).

Opportunity for someone to establish a business using Snaith's vehicles, depots and drivers . . .
G-CPTN
01 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm #80

(01 Jul 2015, 8:02 am)Text You could argue that GNE already do operate in such areas .... 688 Hexham - Allenheads for example.

The Hexham to Allenheads is a legacy route that was operated by United Automobile Services way back when I was a youngster in the 1940s. 
There was a United outstation at Allenheads.

There were two routes IIRC, one operating to Allendale via Haydon Bridge (37?) and the other (38?) direct from Hexham.

The Haydon Bridge/Allendale route was established by Robert Emmerson in the late 1920s (it ran to Newcastle) - leading to closure of the passenger railway services to Allendale in 1930. The goods only line closed in 1950. Emmerson was a subsidiary of United

United morphed into Arriva NorthEast via Northumbria Motor Services (and British Bus) and then Hexham-based operations were taken over by GoNorthEast.

So far I have not seen evidence of Snaiths losing their operating licence (other than withdrawal of schools by Northumberland County Council and North Tyneside Council).
The situation WRT North Tyne scheduled services (which are, presumably, subsidised by NCC) could reduce Snaiths to a private hire operator (though, even that would be subject to the Traffic Commissioners decision).

Opportunity for someone to establish a business using Snaith's vehicles, depots and drivers . . .

Pages (8): Previous 13 4 58 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average