Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

Politics (and other political stuff)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (68): Previous 166 67 68 Next
04 Jun 2023, 4:17 pm
Universal Basic Income scheme to be trailed in Jarrow:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023...in-england
MurdnunoC
04 Jun 2023, 4:17 pm #1321

Universal Basic Income scheme to be trailed in Jarrow:

04 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm
(04 Jun 2023, 4:17 pm)MurdnunoC Universal Basic Income scheme to be trailed in Jarrow:

Is that irony or just purely crass...
54APhotography
04 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm #1322

(04 Jun 2023, 4:17 pm)MurdnunoC Universal Basic Income scheme to be trailed in Jarrow:

Is that irony or just purely crass...

04 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm
(04 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm)54APhotography Is that irony or just purely crass...

Well, 87 years on, I guess you can finally say the Jarrow March was a success - albeit for a temporary two year period.
MurdnunoC
04 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm #1323

(04 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm)54APhotography Is that irony or just purely crass...

Well, 87 years on, I guess you can finally say the Jarrow March was a success - albeit for a temporary two year period.

22 May 2024, 8:22 pm
GE called for July.

Hope the tories sink in to the political abyss. Never to be seen again.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 May 2024, 8:22 pm #1324

GE called for July.

22 May 2024, 8:28 pm
(22 May 2024, 8:22 pm)Andreos1 GE called for July.

Agree entirely, no doubt there's plenty of Gammons up here that will once again turn traitor to their region and vote for them or worse Reform.
54APhotography
22 May 2024, 8:28 pm #1325

(22 May 2024, 8:22 pm)Andreos1 GE called for July.

Agree entirely, no doubt there's plenty of Gammons up here that will once again turn traitor to their region and vote for them or worse Reform.

22 May 2024, 10:06 pm
(22 May 2024, 8:28 pm)54APhotography Agree entirely, no doubt there's plenty of Gammons up here that will once again turn traitor to their region and vote for them or worse Reform.

Does it actually matter who's in No.10, they won't get anything done anyway due to being undermined by other MP's with different agendas.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
22 May 2024, 10:06 pm #1326

(22 May 2024, 8:28 pm)54APhotography Agree entirely, no doubt there's plenty of Gammons up here that will once again turn traitor to their region and vote for them or worse Reform.

Does it actually matter who's in No.10, they won't get anything done anyway due to being undermined by other MP's with different agendas.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

22 May 2024, 10:46 pm
(22 May 2024, 10:06 pm)ASX_Terranova Does it actually matter who's in No.10, they won't get anything done anyway due to being undermined by other MP's with different agendas.

With a really good PM who has a bit of backbone then yes, things can get done. Unfortunately I'm not seeing that option currently. Labour will walk in because the Tories and SNP are both a disaster currently rather than Labour being a strong and credible party. Just the best of a bad bunch.
Shrek
22 May 2024, 10:46 pm #1327

(22 May 2024, 10:06 pm)ASX_Terranova Does it actually matter who's in No.10, they won't get anything done anyway due to being undermined by other MP's with different agendas.

With a really good PM who has a bit of backbone then yes, things can get done. Unfortunately I'm not seeing that option currently. Labour will walk in because the Tories and SNP are both a disaster currently rather than Labour being a strong and credible party. Just the best of a bad bunch.

23 May 2024, 6:48 am
Anyone who thinks things will get better under Labour are as deluded as the people who think the Tories are doing a great job.

They're all much of a muchness, the only thing that separates them is the colour.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
23 May 2024, 6:48 am #1328

Anyone who thinks things will get better under Labour are as deluded as the people who think the Tories are doing a great job.

They're all much of a muchness, the only thing that separates them is the colour.

23 May 2024, 11:53 am
(23 May 2024, 6:48 am)streetdeckfan Anyone who thinks things will get better under Labour are as deluded as the people who think the Tories are doing a great job.

The one thing I'd say to that, as I don't necessarily disagree with you (rare, I know!), is sometimes you need to redecorate.

Voting back in probably one of the worst Governments that we've ever seen, will be seen as nothing but a resounding endorsement for that level of awfulness.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 May 2024, 11:53 am #1329

(23 May 2024, 6:48 am)streetdeckfan Anyone who thinks things will get better under Labour are as deluded as the people who think the Tories are doing a great job.

The one thing I'd say to that, as I don't necessarily disagree with you (rare, I know!), is sometimes you need to redecorate.

Voting back in probably one of the worst Governments that we've ever seen, will be seen as nothing but a resounding endorsement for that level of awfulness.

23 May 2024, 12:28 pm
(23 May 2024, 11:53 am)Adrian The one thing I'd say to that, as I don't necessarily disagree with you (rare, I know!), is sometimes you need to redecorate.

You can redecorate to your hearts content, but the day after the damp patches are going to show right back up!

I suppose in one respect the Tory supporters shouldn't really be too worried given that Starmer isn't far off the current government!

streetdeckfan
23 May 2024, 12:28 pm #1330

(23 May 2024, 11:53 am)Adrian The one thing I'd say to that, as I don't necessarily disagree with you (rare, I know!), is sometimes you need to redecorate.

You can redecorate to your hearts content, but the day after the damp patches are going to show right back up!

I suppose in one respect the Tory supporters shouldn't really be too worried given that Starmer isn't far off the current government!

23 May 2024, 5:01 pm
(23 May 2024, 12:28 pm)streetdeckfan You can redecorate to your hearts content, but the day after the damp patches are going to show right back up!

Labour have moved to the centre ground which the Tories have well and truly left with the crazy lurch to the hard right thanks to Braverman, Mogg and co. A lot of things won't change, but hopefully the racist element that has moved into Downing Street recently will be removed completely, and maybe politics can cool down a bit  though I suspect fringe elements on the left and right won't let that happen.
Shrek
23 May 2024, 5:01 pm #1331

(23 May 2024, 12:28 pm)streetdeckfan You can redecorate to your hearts content, but the day after the damp patches are going to show right back up!

Labour have moved to the centre ground which the Tories have well and truly left with the crazy lurch to the hard right thanks to Braverman, Mogg and co. A lot of things won't change, but hopefully the racist element that has moved into Downing Street recently will be removed completely, and maybe politics can cool down a bit  though I suspect fringe elements on the left and right won't let that happen.

23 May 2024, 5:27 pm

That's what parliament needs. A new livery. Some flashy vinyls.
BusLoverMum
23 May 2024, 5:27 pm #1332

That's what parliament needs. A new livery. Some flashy vinyls.

23 May 2024, 6:48 pm
(23 May 2024, 5:27 pm)BusLoverMum That's what parliament needs. A new livery. Some flashy vinyls.

It needs more than a titivation

Andreos1
23 May 2024, 6:48 pm #1333

(23 May 2024, 5:27 pm)BusLoverMum That's what parliament needs. A new livery. Some flashy vinyls.

It needs more than a titivation

23 May 2024, 10:38 pm

It's quite simply not true to say that the only thing that separates them is colour. The "Country First, Party Second" messaging that Labour have been putting out is an immediate difference, the Conservatives have pretty much been putting party first since 2016/7. 

The only people who think this Labour party are the same as the Conservatives are either people on the far right who want to justify their vote for Reform UK, or people on the far left who are still sad Corbyn failed to win (twice). 

Labour, at least going into this election, can't be too bold in my view. If they go too far left of centre (or if their messaging comes across that way) then they potentially lose the votes of the people in the centre who get them the majority. You can be as left wing as you want in a manifesto but it means sod all if it scares the public/makes you an easy target for the Daily Mail, and we saw the result of that in 2019. You only get to change things if you actually win.
mb134
23 May 2024, 10:38 pm #1334

It's quite simply not true to say that the only thing that separates them is colour. The "Country First, Party Second" messaging that Labour have been putting out is an immediate difference, the Conservatives have pretty much been putting party first since 2016/7. 

The only people who think this Labour party are the same as the Conservatives are either people on the far right who want to justify their vote for Reform UK, or people on the far left who are still sad Corbyn failed to win (twice). 

Labour, at least going into this election, can't be too bold in my view. If they go too far left of centre (or if their messaging comes across that way) then they potentially lose the votes of the people in the centre who get them the majority. You can be as left wing as you want in a manifesto but it means sod all if it scares the public/makes you an easy target for the Daily Mail, and we saw the result of that in 2019. You only get to change things if you actually win.

24 May 2024, 9:18 am
(23 May 2024, 10:38 pm)mb134 It's quite simply not true to say that the only thing that separates them is colour. The "Country First, Party Second" messaging that Labour have been putting out is an immediate difference, the Conservatives have pretty much been putting party first since 2016/7. 

You're 100% right there. People need to realise that the vast majority of people in Britain are either centre left or centre right. Whoever appeals most to the centre will win the election, and you can't do anything if you don't win the election first.

The Tories struggling so badly is no surprise with their dramatic lurch to the right, in the same way Labours problems were no shock when Corbyn took them hard to the left.
Shrek
24 May 2024, 9:18 am #1335

(23 May 2024, 10:38 pm)mb134 It's quite simply not true to say that the only thing that separates them is colour. The "Country First, Party Second" messaging that Labour have been putting out is an immediate difference, the Conservatives have pretty much been putting party first since 2016/7. 

You're 100% right there. People need to realise that the vast majority of people in Britain are either centre left or centre right. Whoever appeals most to the centre will win the election, and you can't do anything if you don't win the election first.

The Tories struggling so badly is no surprise with their dramatic lurch to the right, in the same way Labours problems were no shock when Corbyn took them hard to the left.

24 May 2024, 9:40 am

They're not winning votes, though. If you look at all the Parliamentary by-election results recently, they're not winning seats because they're increasing the number of people voting Labour. They're winning them because Tory voters aren't turning out. So for all intents and purposes, their lunge to the right has been futile so far. 

I'd say that's largely down to the leader, who is a wind-sock, and it's why his messaging of "Country first, Party second" doesn't work. It's well-publicised that he's broken every promise he's made. So much so that he doesn't call them promises anymore. He continues to put wet-wipe ministers on the media rounds, who get caught out every time they're questioned on a particular policy, and then immediately resort to the hyperbole about Labour being 'a changed party'

I also don't think it's fair to suggest that it's only the far-right or far-left who see the Conservatives and Labour as broadly comparable. That's not the message we received on the doorstep during the May campaigning. A lot of swing-voters would sooner not bother, than take a chance on what Starmer has to offer. One common criticism was that people felt he was untrustworthy. 

It's not even during campaigning that you hear this. I work with several different workplaces, and whenever I speak to people, it's clear that a lot of people in this country are genuinely fed up and feel left behind after 14 years of Tory Government. They should be looking towards a Labour Party for hope and change, but Starmer refuses to commit to any of that. 

Not even something as simple to fix as removing the two-child benefit cap, which would pull an estimated 250,000 children out of poverty overnight. Or the 'New Deal for Workers', most of which wouldn't cost a penny, but would massively benefit workers. Is that putting the Country first?

Will I be delighted to see the back of the Tories? Absolutely! But I've no enthusiasm about the thought of a Starmer Labour Government either. Maybe five years will convince me, maybe it won't.

Adrian
24 May 2024, 9:40 am #1336

They're not winning votes, though. If you look at all the Parliamentary by-election results recently, they're not winning seats because they're increasing the number of people voting Labour. They're winning them because Tory voters aren't turning out. So for all intents and purposes, their lunge to the right has been futile so far. 

I'd say that's largely down to the leader, who is a wind-sock, and it's why his messaging of "Country first, Party second" doesn't work. It's well-publicised that he's broken every promise he's made. So much so that he doesn't call them promises anymore. He continues to put wet-wipe ministers on the media rounds, who get caught out every time they're questioned on a particular policy, and then immediately resort to the hyperbole about Labour being 'a changed party'

I also don't think it's fair to suggest that it's only the far-right or far-left who see the Conservatives and Labour as broadly comparable. That's not the message we received on the doorstep during the May campaigning. A lot of swing-voters would sooner not bother, than take a chance on what Starmer has to offer. One common criticism was that people felt he was untrustworthy. 

It's not even during campaigning that you hear this. I work with several different workplaces, and whenever I speak to people, it's clear that a lot of people in this country are genuinely fed up and feel left behind after 14 years of Tory Government. They should be looking towards a Labour Party for hope and change, but Starmer refuses to commit to any of that. 

Not even something as simple to fix as removing the two-child benefit cap, which would pull an estimated 250,000 children out of poverty overnight. Or the 'New Deal for Workers', most of which wouldn't cost a penny, but would massively benefit workers. Is that putting the Country first?

Will I be delighted to see the back of the Tories? Absolutely! But I've no enthusiasm about the thought of a Starmer Labour Government either. Maybe five years will convince me, maybe it won't.

24 May 2024, 10:33 am
For reference to my by-election point.

Blackpool South - CON to LAB
2024: 10,825 (58.9%) LAB, 3,218 (17.5%) CON - 32.5% turnout
2019: 12,557 (38.3%) LAB, 16,247 (49.6%) CON - 56.8% turnout
Labour vote down 1,732

Rochdale - LAB to WPB
2024: 2,402 (7.7%) LAB, 3,731 (12.0%) CON, 12,335 (39.7%) WPB - 39.7% turnout
2019: 24,475 (51.6%) LAB, 14,807 (31.2%) CON, No WPB - 60.1% turnout
Labour vote down 22,073

Kingswood - CON to LAB
2024: 11,176 (44.9%) LAB, 8,675 (34.9%) CON - 37.1% turnout
2019: 16,492 (33.4%) LAB, 27,712 (56.2%) CON - 71.5% turnout
Labour vote down 5,316

Wellingborough - CON to LAB
2024: 13,844 (45.9%) LAB, 7,408 (24.6%) CON - 38.0% turnout
2019: 13,737 (26.5%) LAB, 32,277 (62.2%) CON - 64.3% turnout
Labour vote down 6,329

Tamworth - CON to LAB
2023: 11,719 (45.8%) LAB, 10,403 (40.7%) CON - 35.9% turnout
2019: 10,908 (23.7%) LAB, 30,542 (66.3%) CON - 64.3% turnout
Labour vote up by 811.

Mid Beds - CON to LAB
2023: 13,872 (34.1%) LAB, 12,680 (31.1%) CON - 44.1% turnout
2019: 14,028 (21.7%) LAB, 38,692 (59.8%) CON - 73.7% turnout
Labour vote down by 156

Adrian
24 May 2024, 10:33 am #1337

For reference to my by-election point.

Blackpool South - CON to LAB
2024: 10,825 (58.9%) LAB, 3,218 (17.5%) CON - 32.5% turnout
2019: 12,557 (38.3%) LAB, 16,247 (49.6%) CON - 56.8% turnout
Labour vote down 1,732

Rochdale - LAB to WPB
2024: 2,402 (7.7%) LAB, 3,731 (12.0%) CON, 12,335 (39.7%) WPB - 39.7% turnout
2019: 24,475 (51.6%) LAB, 14,807 (31.2%) CON, No WPB - 60.1% turnout
Labour vote down 22,073

Kingswood - CON to LAB
2024: 11,176 (44.9%) LAB, 8,675 (34.9%) CON - 37.1% turnout
2019: 16,492 (33.4%) LAB, 27,712 (56.2%) CON - 71.5% turnout
Labour vote down 5,316

Wellingborough - CON to LAB
2024: 13,844 (45.9%) LAB, 7,408 (24.6%) CON - 38.0% turnout
2019: 13,737 (26.5%) LAB, 32,277 (62.2%) CON - 64.3% turnout
Labour vote down 6,329

Tamworth - CON to LAB
2023: 11,719 (45.8%) LAB, 10,403 (40.7%) CON - 35.9% turnout
2019: 10,908 (23.7%) LAB, 30,542 (66.3%) CON - 64.3% turnout
Labour vote up by 811.

Mid Beds - CON to LAB
2023: 13,872 (34.1%) LAB, 12,680 (31.1%) CON - 44.1% turnout
2019: 14,028 (21.7%) LAB, 38,692 (59.8%) CON - 73.7% turnout
Labour vote down by 156

24 May 2024, 11:32 am
(23 May 2024, 6:48 pm)Andreos1 It needs more than a titivation

Well quite. My sarcasm about how cosmetic changes and re-branding are believed to be the solution to everything for some, including the outgoing government, may not have come across very well.
BusLoverMum
24 May 2024, 11:32 am #1338

(23 May 2024, 6:48 pm)Andreos1 It needs more than a titivation

Well quite. My sarcasm about how cosmetic changes and re-branding are believed to be the solution to everything for some, including the outgoing government, may not have come across very well.

24 May 2024, 11:49 am
(24 May 2024, 11:32 am)BusLoverMum Well quite. My sarcasm about how cosmetic changes and re-branding are believed to be the solution to everything for some, including the outgoing government, may not have come across very well.

I got it.

Andreos1
24 May 2024, 11:49 am #1339

(24 May 2024, 11:32 am)BusLoverMum Well quite. My sarcasm about how cosmetic changes and re-branding are believed to be the solution to everything for some, including the outgoing government, may not have come across very well.

I got it.

24 May 2024, 1:42 pm

Typical attitude of a northerner who is self obsessed and doesn't care about the region. Jog on with that outlook
54APhotography
24 May 2024, 1:42 pm #1340

Typical attitude of a northerner who is self obsessed and doesn't care about the region. Jog on with that outlook

Pages (68): Previous 166 67 68 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average