You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2016
(12 Feb 2016, 4:46 pm)S813 FVK wrote What they should do on all timetables really. Lets just hope they do start doing that.

You never know. GNE might well end up buying Streetdecks for the Angel next year with the above features if they can find a suitable route for the Hybrids after they've served their 5 years. Don't think they will mind although they may end up getting a re-trim with E-Leather and some USB sockets fitted.
(12 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm)Adrian wrote 1620, 1650 and 1720 Newcastle to Chester. Happy to be corrected, but I had thought that Chester run these? I can't see this referenced in the timetable.

[Image: d2d889c8f0926f37c02cad596de6983c.jpg]

06:40/07:10 from CLS-Durham not mentioned either as being conventional bus operated.
(12 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote You never know. GNE might well end up buying Streetdecks for the Angel next year with the above features if they can find a suitable route for the Hybrids after they've served their 5 years. Don't think they will mind although they may end up getting a re-trim with E-Leather and some USB sockets fitted.

I don't think tables are really worth it on the Angel. It's all about capacity as opposed to gimmicks especially if the Park and Ride at Birtley takes off (haha) Maybe the X21 taking the load off the Cannon might help.

Hybrids definitely need a tart up, rough looking inside now. The two non Hybrids are in better nick. Still on a route where they have virtual monopoly which is consistently busy, there's no real incentive to upgrade anything (cynical of me perhaps)
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(12 Feb 2016, 10:58 pm)Ambassador wrote I don't think tables are really worth it on the Angel. It's all about capacity as opposed to gimmicks especially if the Park and Ride at Birtley takes off (haha) Maybe the X21 taking the load off the Cannon might help.

Hybrids definitely need a tart up, rough looking inside now. The two non Hybrids are in better nick. Still on a route where they have virtual monopoly which is consistently busy, there's no real incentive to upgrade anything (cynical of me perhaps)

I haven't been on the hybrids for ages, so can't comment on what they are like inside.

The Hybrids are due to end their 5 year contract on the Angel soon, i wonder if they'll be replaced in late 2017 or early 2018?

Where the Hybrids would go, no idea, a single decker route which requires deckers?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(12 Feb 2016, 10:58 pm)Ambassador wrote I don't think tables are really worth it on the Angel. It's all about capacity as opposed to gimmicks especially if the Park and Ride at Birtley takes off (haha) Maybe the X21 taking the load off the Cannon might help.

That's taking it a bit far. At least one of the non hybrids smells like a mouldy floor mop and has stuff growing around the windows.
(13 Feb 2016, 11:29 am)Michael wrote I haven't been on the hybrids for ages, so can't comment on what they are like inside.

The Hybrids are due to end their 5 year contract on the Angel soon, i wonder if they'll be replaced in late 2017 or early 2018?

Where the Hybrids would go, no idea, a single decker route which requires deckers?

As long as it isn't the morning Q3's I don't really care Tongue
(13 Feb 2016, 11:29 am)Michael wrote I haven't been on the hybrids for ages, so can't comment on what they are like inside.

The Crusader could do with Volvo B5LHs if it doesn't receive new investment in the next few years.
(13 Feb 2016, 11:43 am)South Tyne Lad wrote The Crusader could do with Volvo B5LHs if it doesn't receive new investment in the next few years.

They could, least then they can have 2 spare B5LH's in "Go North East" as the PVR for the Crusader is only 13. 

Other option can be:

Blaydon racers - 9 PVR
Toonlink (Riverside) - 5 PVR 

1 spare at Riverside depot.

---------------------
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Would Streetdecks to the current spec (tables etc) work on the X85. Might take commuters from the train?
Site Administrator
(13 Feb 2016, 12:59 pm)dodsy wrote Blaydon racers go under the 14ft3" bridge in Dunston, Volvo B5LH Gemini's are 14ft5" I believe...

Yes, Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvos cannot (or should not) be allocated to service 49, due to this bridge. They only just fit under.
(13 Feb 2016, 3:24 pm)grandad wrote Would Streetdecks to the current spec (tables etc) work on the X85. Might take commuters from the train?

You know what it is? If both services were to show good growth, that wouldn't be a bad idea! A similar layout to Transdev's Route 36 B5TLs with 2+1 seating upstairs would be brilliant and could well even take some more punters of the train.
Does anyone jnow if GNE are doing the metro replacements on the major closure between shiremoor and tynemouth?
(13 Feb 2016, 6:04 pm)Dan wrote Yes, Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvos cannot (or should not) be allocated to service 49, due to this bridge. They only just fit under.

Yeah all depends on who's driving it I suppose, they do fit but some will stop and refuse.
Has anyone seen what loads are like Washington bound on the 2's since their move away from Park Lane?

I have never used the service eastbound since the changes as Park Lane suits me better and gives better choice/alternatives.
I wondered if I was in the minority or if people are commiting to getting it from the on street stops.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Feb 2016, 7:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen what loads are like Washington bound on the 2's since their move away from Park Lane?

I have never used the service eastbound since the changes as Park Lane suits me better and gives better choice/alternatives.
I wondered if I was in the minority or if people are commiting to getting it from the on street stops.

Ye, they seem to be steady although it depends on time of the day and what day it is, i normally see them around 4pm-5pm on a evening and they can get quite busy, this is from the Holmeside stop, not sure on the winter gardens one.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Feb 2016, 7:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote Has anyone seen what loads are like Washington bound on the 2's since their move away from Park Lane?

I expect that it picks up more people who live on the route, rather than those specifically travelling to the galleries.
(14 Feb 2016, 7:13 pm)Michael wrote Ye, they seem to be steady although it depends on time of the day and what day it is, i normally see them around 4pm-5pm on a evening and they can get quite busy, this is from the Holmeside stop, not sure on the winter gardens one.

If I ever walk up Holmeside, I have always said I would get it if it was there or approaching.
Never seen it yet.

(14 Feb 2016, 7:39 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I expect that it picks up more people who live on the route, rather than those specifically travelling to the galleries.

My thoughts exactly, but if going as far as the hospital are you better off going to Park Lane or waiting for a 2?

As far as Barnwell or Shiney?

It is the only option for people travelling beyond those points (unless they're off to.the Galleries) and then there is the 8.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm)Michael wrote A photo of repainted 5210 has appeared on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98641142@N08/24399814473/ - Photo by Guy Park-Royal

I'm 50/50 on the colours, not sure if it suits the Scania or not.

I'm a real fan of the new livery both on the MPDs and the 5210. No doubt will look even better once the Solos arrive and branding is applied.
(14 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm)S813 FVK wrote I'm a real fan of the new livery both on the MPDs and the 5210. No doubt will look even better once the Solos arrive and branding is applied.

I think the Blue and Yellow suit the MPD's better... not sure why, must be me. 

Looking forward to seeing the branding applied.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(14 Feb 2016, 7:58 pm)Andreos1 wrote If I ever walk up Holmeside, I have always said I would get it if it was there or approaching.
Never seen it yet.

My thoughts exactly, but if going as far as the hospital are you better off going to Park Lane or waiting for a 2?

As far as Barnwell or Shiney?

It is the only option for people travelling beyond those points (unless they're off to.the Galleries) and then there is the 8.

Off the top of my head, there's the see it do it (35 or 36, can't remember) and the 78 which pass the hospital, from Park Lane, at the very least. Whichever option it's worth taking to go that far probably largely depends on whether you're traveling on from another service, which one it is and so on.
(14 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm)Michael wrote A photo of repainted 5210 has appeared on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98641142@N08/24399814473/ - Photo by Guy Park-Royal

I'm 50/50 on the colours, not sure if it suits the Scania or not.

If they could change the front end to match the curves of the Wright Body then it would look ok. Though the Solos will suit it.
(14 Feb 2016, 9:38 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote If they could change the front end to match the curves of the Wright Body then it would look ok. Though the Solos will suit it.

It'll look fantastic on the solos, so long as it goes down and around the windscreen, like the claret on the Ventures.
(14 Feb 2016, 9:17 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Off the top of my head, there's the see it do it (35 or 36, can't remember) and the 78 which pass the hospital, from Park Lane, at the very least. Whichever option it's worth taking to go that far probably largely depends on whether you're traveling on from another service, which one it is and so on.

The 8A, 39 and 700 also run from Park Lane to Sunderland Hospital.

In all honestly i think we have way to many buses to the hospital however its an important place so the links must be good for it.

-----

GNE services:

2/2A - Every 10 minutes
8A - certain runs
35/36 - Every 15 minutes
35A - Every 30 minutes
39 - Every 15 minutes
78/78A - Every 30 minutes
99 - Every 60 minutes
99A - Certain runs.
700 - Every 15 minutes

Stagecoach services:

5/5A - Every 30 minutes
16 - Every 10 minutes
18/19 - Every 30 minutes 

Nexus:

135/136 - Every 60 minutes.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
The bot seems to be behind, the fleet news was updated ages ago but its just post it now... bug?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 Feb 2016, 11:21 am)Michael wrote The bot seems to be behind, the fleet news was updated ages ago but its just post it now... bug?

The swop of 3941/3859 has not been noted.