Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (55) Previous 131 32 3355 Next
15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm #621
(15 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm)BusLoverMum Isn't it about 15 years for a single decker? Even on the Solo expected useful lifespan of 12 years, an 09 reg vehicle is still not even mid life, yet.

I do find the contrast between solos and versas quite baffling. Arriva's 08 reg solos at Belmont are externally scruffy, but really quite zippy little things and a nice ride on some of the more demanding rural routes (eg the 56). Versas seem to suffer from being a solo stretched out and spread too thin. Mechanically, are they any different from the solos, or do they have the same engine, transmission etc to pull the heavier bodywork around?

Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

Versas are a worse product than the Solo, The Chassis/Suspension gets very torn and twisted, and the bodywork quality is comparable to a Wilkos toy car.

The mechanical part of Optare is quite simple but also complicated at the same time because both types have the same engine choices but here it is :

Solos : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Arriva have these )  or 6 Cylinder Cummins ISB ( most Scarlet Band ones )   with a Allison 5 speed or in some cases 4 speed Voith

Versas : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Same as in the Solo ) or a 6 Cylinder 5.9L Cummins ISB ( GNE Versas ) with the same Allison.

South Tyne Versas's have their Kickdown Disabled ( apart from 8294 ) and their engines have got to the state comparable to a Limp mode Pulsar. and have bodywork problems of a wide variety.

Euro 5 Versas are a lot better than Euro 4s but the bodywork and chassis lets it down.

I'm interested to see how the new Metrocity will be like.

Edited 15 Mar 2016, 9:19 pm by South Tyne Lad.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm #621

(15 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm)BusLoverMum Isn't it about 15 years for a single decker? Even on the Solo expected useful lifespan of 12 years, an 09 reg vehicle is still not even mid life, yet.

I do find the contrast between solos and versas quite baffling. Arriva's 08 reg solos at Belmont are externally scruffy, but really quite zippy little things and a nice ride on some of the more demanding rural routes (eg the 56). Versas seem to suffer from being a solo stretched out and spread too thin. Mechanically, are they any different from the solos, or do they have the same engine, transmission etc to pull the heavier bodywork around?

Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

Versas are a worse product than the Solo, The Chassis/Suspension gets very torn and twisted, and the bodywork quality is comparable to a Wilkos toy car.

The mechanical part of Optare is quite simple but also complicated at the same time because both types have the same engine choices but here it is :

Solos : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Arriva have these )  or 6 Cylinder Cummins ISB ( most Scarlet Band ones )   with a Allison 5 speed or in some cases 4 speed Voith

Versas : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Same as in the Solo ) or a 6 Cylinder 5.9L Cummins ISB ( GNE Versas ) with the same Allison.

South Tyne Versas's have their Kickdown Disabled ( apart from 8294 ) and their engines have got to the state comparable to a Limp mode Pulsar. and have bodywork problems of a wide variety.

Euro 5 Versas are a lot better than Euro 4s but the bodywork and chassis lets it down.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Davie

Banned

15 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm #622
(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

I'm surprised the 09-reg Versa's have lasted seven years, even one or two of the Citylink examples sound a bit off.
Davie
15 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm #622

(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

I'm surprised the 09-reg Versa's have lasted seven years, even one or two of the Citylink examples sound a bit off.

ne14ne1

15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm #623
(15 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Michael A fleet of brand new buses will be introduced to the 1 and 1A routes in the summer. The buses will have two doors, so passengers can leave the bus through the centre exit at the same time as passengers can board through the front door. This will mean faster journeys as buses spend less time at bus stops.

The 28/29 - A new fleet of buses in a new colour scheme is being introduced to the 28 and 29 during the summer. 

More info here: http://www.buses.co.uk/page.aspx?pageid=518

Wish all operators had the same thinking.
Edited 15 Mar 2016, 10:11 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm #623

(15 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Michael A fleet of brand new buses will be introduced to the 1 and 1A routes in the summer. The buses will have two doors, so passengers can leave the bus through the centre exit at the same time as passengers can board through the front door. This will mean faster journeys as buses spend less time at bus stops.

The 28/29 - A new fleet of buses in a new colour scheme is being introduced to the 28 and 29 during the summer. 

More info here: http://www.buses.co.uk/page.aspx?pageid=518

Wish all operators had the same thinking.

Michael

15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm #624
(15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)ne14ne1  Wish all operators had the same thinking.

It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

It could work down Brighton more than here.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm #624

It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm #625

(15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm)Michael It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.
There were other reasons cited like, such as the blasts of freezing cold air whenever the centre doors were opened.

I do think the legacy left after the fatal incident way back when, may have also had an affect. Directly or indirectly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm #625

(15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm)Michael It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.
There were other reasons cited like, such as the blasts of freezing cold air whenever the centre doors were opened.

I do think the legacy left after the fatal incident way back when, may have also had an affect. Directly or indirectly.

Michael

15 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm #626
(15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm)Andreos1 I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.

Still happens now, hopefully with the summer approaching, they'll not over heat haha.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm #626

(15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm)Andreos1 I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.

Still happens now, hopefully with the summer approaching, they'll not over heat haha.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

James101

16 Mar 2016, 1:18 am #627
(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad I'm interested to see how the new Metrocity will be like.

I grabbed a ride on a metrocity a few days after it had entered service with D&G in Staffordshire. Just as a note on build quality, the rubber seal around the front door fell off mid route.
James101
16 Mar 2016, 1:18 am #627

(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad I'm interested to see how the new Metrocity will be like.

I grabbed a ride on a metrocity a few days after it had entered service with D&G in Staffordshire. Just as a note on build quality, the rubber seal around the front door fell off mid route.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am #628
(15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)Michael Dan or Citaro, when 9102 enters service, will you let us know what time journeys they'll be doing during the day and night?

Thanks =)

It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

(15 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm)Michael I think the Versa's need to be 15 years old before they need replacing... Well when GNE think they should be replaced.

The Simplicity Versa's are terrible.

The 829x and 83xx series examples should be withdrawn after 12 years (like the SPDs), as these are midibuses. Minibuses are also usually withdrawn after 12 years.

Full size single decks are the ones which should be withdrawn after 15 years - 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx series fleet numbers.
Dan
16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am #628

(15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)Michael Dan or Citaro, when 9102 enters service, will you let us know what time journeys they'll be doing during the day and night?

Thanks =)

It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

(15 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm)Michael I think the Versa's need to be 15 years old before they need replacing... Well when GNE think they should be replaced.

The Simplicity Versa's are terrible.

The 829x and 83xx series examples should be withdrawn after 12 years (like the SPDs), as these are midibuses. Minibuses are also usually withdrawn after 12 years.

Full size single decks are the ones which should be withdrawn after 15 years - 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx series fleet numbers.

DanPicken

Banned

16 Mar 2016, 6:55 am #629

8294 probably hasn't has Kickdown disabled because it has a Tachograph.
(16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am)Dan It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

That helps work out which boards 9102 will be on. At least the 88 is due newer buses in a couple of years.
DanPicken
16 Mar 2016, 6:55 am #629

(16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am)Dan It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

That helps work out which boards 9102 will be on. At least the 88 is due newer buses in a couple of years.

DanPicken

Banned

16 Mar 2016, 7:02 am #630

DanPicken
16 Mar 2016, 7:02 am #630

16 Mar 2016, 7:09 am #631
8311's destination blind doesn't say a number, it just says the destination
NK53 TKT
16 Mar 2016, 7:09 am #631

8311's destination blind doesn't say a number, it just says the destination

Michael

16 Mar 2016, 7:13 am #632

Cheers Dan =).

Shame the 829x and 83xx only have 3 years left although some are getting quite bad, the 15 year old B10's should be withdrawn this year but that won't happen, hopefully the Versa's will take the role of the "Spare Fleet".

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2016, 7:13 am #632

Cheers Dan =).

Shame the 829x and 83xx only have 3 years left although some are getting quite bad, the 15 year old B10's should be withdrawn this year but that won't happen, hopefully the Versa's will take the role of the "Spare Fleet".

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

16 Mar 2016, 7:16 am #633
(16 Mar 2016, 7:13 am)Michael Cheers Dan =).

You have no idea how bad some of 8310-8315 are, two months ago 8311 came to my estate, I got off and smoke was pouring out the back
EDIT: The only half decent one is 8314
Edited 16 Mar 2016, 7:17 am by NK53 TKT.
NK53 TKT
16 Mar 2016, 7:16 am #633

You have no idea how bad some of 8310-8315 are, two months ago 8311 came to my estate, I got off and smoke was pouring out the back

Davie

Banned

16 Mar 2016, 7:43 am #634
(16 Mar 2016, 7:16 am)NK53 TKT You have no idea how bad some of 8310-8315 are, two months ago 8311 came to my estate, I got off and smoke was pouring out the back
Have you heard 8318's brakes? They make an annoying screech.
Davie
16 Mar 2016, 7:43 am #634

(16 Mar 2016, 7:16 am)NK53 TKT You have no idea how bad some of 8310-8315 are, two months ago 8311 came to my estate, I got off and smoke was pouring out the back
Have you heard 8318's brakes? They make an annoying screech.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Mar 2016, 7:48 am #635

Don't bother with maths on a morning, eh? Wink

They're 7 years old, so (should) have five years left in the fleet. Obviously some buses are retained for longer - prime example being the Volvo B10BLEs and Volvo Olympians. If reliability becomes a concern, they should be withdrawn in accordance with their predicted life span, to allow reduced engineering costs.
Dan
16 Mar 2016, 7:48 am #635

Don't bother with maths on a morning, eh? Wink

They're 7 years old, so (should) have five years left in the fleet. Obviously some buses are retained for longer - prime example being the Volvo B10BLEs and Volvo Olympians. If reliability becomes a concern, they should be withdrawn in accordance with their predicted life span, to allow reduced engineering costs.

Michael

16 Mar 2016, 7:51 am #636
(16 Mar 2016, 7:48 am)Dan Don't bother with maths on a morning, eh? Wink

Lmao i don't, its early!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Mar 2016, 7:51 am #636

Lmao i don't, its early!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken

Banned

16 Mar 2016, 7:56 am #637

Like the Cadets although 8242-52bare still going.
DanPicken
16 Mar 2016, 7:56 am #637

Like the Cadets although 8242-52bare still going.

Andreos1

16 Mar 2016, 10:49 am #638
Does anyone know where the light running X1's come from on a morning prior to picking up northbound X1's from Easington Lane?

Often see 2 or 3 heading south between the Western Bypass and Rainton Bridge (depending on the time of morning) all NIS in addition to the scheduled 921's.

Obviously in the past, they would have worked the 921 from Newcastle earning revenue, before running light to the Lane from Rainton Bridge.

Andreos1
16 Mar 2016, 10:49 am #638

Does anyone know where the light running X1's come from on a morning prior to picking up northbound X1's from Easington Lane?

Often see 2 or 3 heading south between the Western Bypass and Rainton Bridge (depending on the time of morning) all NIS in addition to the scheduled 921's.

Obviously in the past, they would have worked the 921 from Newcastle earning revenue, before running light to the Lane from Rainton Bridge.

idiot

16 Mar 2016, 11:27 am #639
The timing of the 2 and 2a are shocking. Yet again waiting 15 mins for a bus that is every 10 mins. Cross city services work?
idiot
16 Mar 2016, 11:27 am #639

The timing of the 2 and 2a are shocking. Yet again waiting 15 mins for a bus that is every 10 mins. Cross city services work?

Davie

Banned

16 Mar 2016, 3:05 pm #640
The Ex Pronto President which is based at Deptford has lost it livery.
Davie
16 Mar 2016, 3:05 pm #640

The Ex Pronto President which is based at Deptford has lost it livery.

Pages (55) Previous 131 32 3355 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average