North East Buses

Full Version: Gateshead Central Taxis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05 Nov 2020, 9:22 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I'm sorry but to say that the West End isn't a Monopoly because there's a few express services stopping at a few bus stops and a 2 hourly service running to Hexham via Matfen and small villages is really scraping the barrel not trying to be nasty. West Road, Fenham and Elswick are dominated by Stagecoach in an area which is high car usage, very high population density and there's no alternative at all ie the Metro in other areas. It's the place that everyone wants but no-one would dare go there. Gosforth / Kingston Park are northern Newcastle not the West End.

I never said South Shields etc are 'bad' it's just their weakest areas in terms of both investment and routes. South Shields and Hartlepool's depots have generally been getting edged towards closure for years now such as the E services (the profitable routes) being moved to Sunderland with the X63 and Hartlepool is pretty much an outstation to Stockton nowadays. Percy Main depot has by far the most services which are subsidised one way or another, hasn't had a new bus (which they still have) since 2013 and has had a cut to every service within the last year (1, 309, 310 cut from every 15 mins to 20 mins), (11, 19 no Evening / Sunday services), (40/41, 42 butchered in half or half the route scrapped) and also has the oldest fleet out of all the GNE depots with nothing planned to change that by the sounds of it neither. If that's what competition brings then I'd prefer not to have it.

The West Road has a good mix of Arriva/GNE/Stagecoach really. Dominated by Stagecoach, yes, monopoly, no. Gosforth/Kingston Park are not that far away from the West End though, and Gosforth is dominated by Arriva, so there is a choice to avoid Stagecoach. Personally, I hate competition! As I travel into GNE monopolies, I need a GNE ticket, so no matter how many Stagecoach buses there are, they are no use to me (and they are quite unreliable, I've had many issued with them!). My temp job in Team Valley stupidly requires Stagecoach and GNE services, not competition, but rather a lack of it! Unfortunately it's going to be expensive working in Team Valley, supposedly I can get a multi-operator anytime ticket but no idea where from!

Riding the 42A is good in terms of the route, but it could do with newer and more comfortable buses!
(05 Nov 2020, 9:34 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]The West Road has a good mix of Arriva/GNE/Stagecoach really. Dominated by Stagecoach, yes, monopoly, no. Gosforth/Kingston Park are not that far away from the West End though, and Gosforth is dominated by Arriva, so there is a choice to avoid Stagecoach. Personally, I hate competition! As I travel into GNE monopolies, I need a GNE ticket, so no matter how many Stagecoach buses there are, they are no use to me (and they are quite unreliable, I've had many issued with them!). My temp job in Team Valley stupidly requires Stagecoach and GNE services, not competition, but rather a lack of it! Unfortunately it's going to be expensive working in Team Valley, supposedly I can get a multi-operator anytime ticket but no idea where from!

Riding the 42A is good in terms of the route, but it could do with newer and more comfortable buses!

Aren't the X85/685 limited stop along there, I always thought they just stopped at the General, one of them in the middle of where the shops were then Denton Burn after that.

Btw for a multi operator ticket, you'll need a Network One pass. It'll work out much cheaper than buying both a GNE and Stagecoach ticket every day or a Day Rover. I'm not too sure where you buy them now mind as you used to get them at the Nexus Travelshops, guessing at a Metro machine or online now. Good old Nexus...
(05 Nov 2020, 10:04 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Aren't the X85/685 limited stop along there, I always thought they just stopped at the General, one of them in the middle of where the shops were then Denton Burn after that.

Btw for a multi operator ticket, you'll need a Network One pass. It'll work out much cheaper than buying both a GNE and Stagecoach ticket every day or a Day Rover. I'm not too sure where you buy them now mind as you used to get them at the Nexus Travelshops, guessing at a Metro machine or online now. Good old Nexus...

Yes, I believe they are. Does for me though!

Exactly, Network One pass is what I need as Day Rovers are expensive! Stagecoach and GNE ticket would be madness! Well, I don't have a Metro station! Nexus are idiots! They used to require a photo did they not? Hopefully I can get it sorted.
(05 Nov 2020, 10:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote [ -> ]Yes, I believe they are. Does for me though!

Exactly, Network One pass is what I need as Day Rovers are expensive! Stagecoach and GNE ticket would be madness! Well, I don't have a Metro station! Nexus are idiots! They used to require a photo did they not? Hopefully I can get it sorted.

Nah they scrapped them years ago for weekly and four weekly ones. Btw if your at Gateshead College (I know you mentioned it) you should be able to get a student one which are cheaper again.

https://networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/where-to-buy/ - That's where you can get them btw.
GNE's app has a variety of Network One tickets you can purchase straight away and I think Stagecoach and Arriva do too. Even down to Student passes as long as you have your ID I think

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(05 Nov 2020, 10:04 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Aren't the X85/685 limited stop along there, I always thought they just stopped at the General, one of them in the middle of where the shops were then Denton Burn after that.

Denton Burn, Crem, Fox & Hounds, Plaza, General (or CAV as it's now known). then Gallowgate/St James.  

It's strange how many people you pick up because one of the other operators doesn't stop at the crem for example though.
Interesting fact about Gateshead Central, they've invested in more new buses so far this year than Arriva in the North East. Some of the minibuses they run provide vital links for the elderly. If the big operators had not trimmed the less profitable parts of the their operations then firms such as Gateshead Central would not have grown picking up Nexus contracts.

Here in Gateshead Go North East has a virtual monopoly. Yet the number of services has decreased decreased markedly in the past twenty years.

Charles
(09 Nov 2020, 7:31 pm)Charles41 wrote [ -> ]Interesting fact about Gateshead Central, they've invested in more new buses so far this year than Arriva in the North East. Some of the minibuses they run provide vital links for the elderly. If the big operators had not trimmed the less profitable parts of the their operations then firms such as Gateshead Central would not have grown picking up Nexus contracts.

Here in Gateshead Go North East has a virtual monopoly. Yet the number of services has decreased decreased markedly in the past twenty years.  

Charles

It would be interesting to see a before and after, to compare the changes within Gateshead.
Id argue that Gateshead itself has got off fairly lightly compared to other areas. There will be the odd exception, but apart from western Gateshead (which had a stack of stuff contracted out to OK in the past), the network has been pretty stable in terms of commercial operations over the years.
(09 Nov 2020, 8:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]It would be interesting to see a before and after, to compare the changes within Gateshead.
Id argue that Gateshead itself has got off fairly lightly compared to other areas. There will be the odd exception, but apart from western Gateshead (which had a stack of stuff contracted out to OK in the past), the network has been pretty stable in terms of commercial operations over the years.

https://web.archive.org/web/200702170748...ea%2Bmaps/ - 2005
https://web.archive.org/web/200711050333...Area+maps/ - 2007
https://web.archive.org/web/201002101147...Area+maps/ - 2009

The big changeover has seemed to have happened between 2005 and 2007 in the Gateshead area with more changes to 2009 to what we have pretty much have today, I don't really know the area enough though so the 2005 services don't mean much to me tbh. Doesn't seem to be that much of a change bar a few noticeable missing services. Interesting to see the slow demise of services in the Washington/Birtley areas in the 4 years though.

One thing that's interesting though is the XLines services didn't exist at all in 2009 or didn't have an evening service. Never realised the X30 was a replacement for the 98 and 44 through Whickham though, always thought it existed.
Yeah, GNE are not the white knight some on here would have you believe. They’ve probably done more damage to the network in Tyne and Wear than any other operator going but hey erm...NSA and erm...an app.

I know we have lots of younger members here who perhaps aren’t paying tax yet or not quite fully in the big world but I want my local authority paying the bare minimum of my taxes for the best option available and of course th3y make a profit too. They are a farm foods to a Waitrose. Of course in an ideal world we’d want the best at any price but the country can’t afford it and won’t pay for it.

GCT provide employment not only in buses but through taxi and courier divisions, they operate truly essential community services and at a reasonable cost to the taxpayer. They don’t have WiFi, they don’t have NSAs but they have a bus with wheels on a route where it’s needed and valued and that’s something none of the big 3 had or were willing to offer.

They aren’t perfect but no company is even those who made £408m on regional bus route profit last year
(09 Nov 2020, 11:23 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]https://web.archive.org/web/200702170748...ea%2Bmaps/ - 2005
https://web.archive.org/web/200711050333...Area+maps/ - 2007
https://web.archive.org/web/201002101147...Area+maps/ - 2009

The big changeover has seemed to have happened between 2005 and 2007 in the Gateshead area with more changes to 2009 to what we have pretty much have today, I don't really know the area enough though so the 2005 services don't mean much to me tbh. Doesn't seem to be that much of a change bar a few noticeable missing services. Interesting to see the slow demise of services in the Washington/Birtley areas in the 4 years though.

One thing that's interesting though is the XLines services didn't exist at all in 2009 or didn't have an evening service. Never realised the X30 was a replacement for the 98 and 44 through Whickham though, always thought it existed.

Sorry, thought I'd replied/acknowledged this the other day.

Yeah, I think Classic had some contracted Nexus stuff in the era you mention. Apart from the 168, there was work around Ryton.
OK had some Nexus/TWPTE stuff from Gateshead to Clara Vale in the years prior and I think the Classic contracts replaced it in part.

The slow curtailment of services in Birtley which aren't the 21 is something which has frustrated me for a long time. Well established routes like the 721, 777, 26, 183 etc are gone and haven't been fully replaced, if at all. Sad. 
Adrian did a map of Washington a few years back, with a before and after comparison. The changes were stark.
You've mentioned North Tyneside and obviously Sunderland isn't a stable network at all.
(11 Nov 2020, 1:53 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Sorry, thought I'd replied/acknowledged this the other day.

Yeah, I think Classic had some contracted Nexus stuff in the era you mention. Apart from the 168, there was work around Ryton.
OK had some Nexus/TWPTE stuff from Gateshead to Clara Vale in the years prior and I think the Classic contracts replaced it in part.

The slow curtailment of services in Birtley which aren't the 21 is something which has frustrated me for a long time. Well established routes like the 721, 777, 26, 183 etc are gone and haven't been fully replaced, if at all. Sad. 
Adrian did a map of Washington a few years back, with a before and after comparison. The changes were stark.
You've mentioned North Tyneside and obviously Sunderland isn't a stable network at all.

No need to be sorry man.

Yeah it's quite bad Birtley really, amazing how disconnected the whole area around there is going East to West in particular. It's mental how the size of Washington can't hold bus services in the evening aswell, be interesting to see the level car usage for areas as it must be sky high there as tbh it's not usable for the average commuter who can't be hacked swapping buses in Washington etc.
(24 Oct 2020, 9:36 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Spotted this pic of SF65ARO on Facebook the other week which is pretty concerning [Image: 2391cfab31a8a2b6267cd1a6586ae293.jpg]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Despite this being out of test at the beginning of the month - I've seen this out and about in service on the R's several times the past couple of weeks.
Since March i lost faith in GNE, what they've done in the last 12 months,especially at PM is an absolute disgrace,but of course they come back with some bullshit answer and seem happy with the current septup with second had clapped out buses, they need to open their flippin eyes
(26 Nov 2020, 9:22 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Since March i lost faith in GNE, what they've done in the last 12 months,especially at PM is an absolute disgrace,but of course they come back with some bullshit answer and seem happy with the current septup with second had clapped out buses, they need to open their flippin eyes

What has this got to do with Gateshead Central Taxis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(25 Nov 2020, 8:36 am)xpm wrote [ -> ]Despite this being out of test at the beginning of the month - I've seen this out and about in service on the R's several times the past couple of weeks.
SF65 ARO has been in service on R's but it has had continuous test in place. The previous text expired on 3rd November and the new test was done on 4th November.
Who would a customer complain to if there are issues with a Nexus contract service that is operated by GCT?

My mum lives in Donwell in Washington. The main housing estate is served by the number 23, a Nexus funded service which was operated by GNE until a few months ago but which is now operated by GCT. Since GCT took over the contract there have been numerous issues of the bus not turning up. My mum usually gets the 10am or sometimes the 11am bus which runs through the estate on its way to the Galleries. There have been a few times where the bus has not turned up. This morning she waited for the 11am service which never turned up. A neighbour later told her he had seen the bus going down Blue House Lane rather than going into the estate it is supposed to turn into. It simply is an unreliable service. One of the women she was stood with said a few of them had phoned and complained (to whom I don't know) but had never heard anything back. My two experiences of contacting Nexus in the past haven't been positive: on both occasions I didn't get a reply.
(05 Dec 2020, 10:43 pm)Robbie64 wrote [ -> ]Who would a customer complain to if there are issues with a Nexus contract service that is operated by GCT?

My mum lives in Donwell in Washington. The main housing estate is served by the number 23, a Nexus funded service which was operated by GNE until a few months ago but which is now operated by GCT. Since GCT took over the contract there have been numerous issues of the bus not turning up. My mum usually gets the 10am or  sometimes the 11am bus which runs through the estate on its way to the Galleries. There have been a few times where the bus has not turned up. This morning she waited for the 11am service which never turned up. A neighbour later told her he had seen the bus going down Blue House Lane rather than going into the estate it is supposed to turn into. It simply is an unreliable service. One of the women she was stood with said a few of them had phoned and complained (to whom I don't know) but had never heard anything back. My two experiences of contacting Nexus in the past haven't been positive: on both occasions I didn't get a reply.

If they've already contacted Nexus (who won't care) then your best bet is to contact Bus Users who should help especially if it's leaving pensioners stranded - https://bususers.org/passengers/complain...complaint/
(05 Dec 2020, 10:43 pm)Robbie64 wrote [ -> ]Who would a customer complain to if there are issues with a Nexus contract service that is operated by GCT?

My mum lives in Donwell in Washington. The main housing estate is served by the number 23, a Nexus funded service which was operated by GNE until a few months ago but which is now operated by GCT. Since GCT took over the contract there have been numerous issues of the bus not turning up. My mum usually gets the 10am or  sometimes the 11am bus which runs through the estate on its way to the Galleries. There have been a few times where the bus has not turned up. This morning she waited for the 11am service which never turned up. A neighbour later told her he had seen the bus going down Blue House Lane rather than going into the estate it is supposed to turn into. It simply is an unreliable service. One of the women she was stood with said a few of them had phoned and complained (to whom I don't know) but had never heard anything back. My two experiences of contacting Nexus in the past haven't been positive: on both occasions I didn't get a reply.

I'm guessing autocorrect changed mam to mum, but it's OK. 

I've had issue to complain about GCT to Nexus and the response was fantastic. 
Whether the fella who dealt with that, is still there - not sure.
Pretty sure I posted the details of the convo in the thread.
I've been in contact with Nexus via the Complaints form on the website (one choice from the drop down menu was to complain about a secured bus service). I got an auto email acknowledgement but have not had anything else. I don't expect a reply either given the twice before when I contacted Nexus I never got a reply.