North East Buses

Full Version: Tender Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Wasn't to sure where to put this.

Was at the MetroCentre rather briefly This Afternoon around 3ish, and Ray Parnaby and 2 other Enthusiasts were having a bit of a chit chat, so I went over and said hello, and according to one of those other 2 Enthusiasts (don't know his name) apparently Gateshead Central Taxis have put a Bid in for the Quaylink Contract.

#Don'tShootTheMessenger
#HashtagsOnNEB

Doubt it. 
Moved above posts to more appropriate thread.

It's quite possible that Gateshead Central Taxis have put in a bid for the QuayLink contracts, but it doesn't mean that they'll get it, nor does it mean that the contract will actually go ahead... This post still suggests to me that the contract won't go ahead, and that we will in fact see it taken on commercially instead...
More detail on Gateshead and Quay link

They put in £137,000 to Quaylink.

If approved we'll know by the budget meeting in February 2015 if funding is ending, they'll then talk to Newcastle about their response

The Council hope Nexus will instead secure an extension to the Loop speaking to them today. Though how the Loop will cope is another thing
(10 Nov 2014, 7:16 pm)gtom wrote [ -> ]More detail on Gateshead and Quay link

They put in £137,000 to Quaylink.

If approved we'll know by the budget meeting in February 2015 if funding is ending,  they'll then talk to Newcastle about their response

The Council hope Nexus will instead secure an extension to the Loop speaking to them today. Though how the Loop will cope is another thing

Why the loop though, haven't they read the complaints about it on the GNE facebook page?
(10 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Why the loop though, haven't they read the complaints about it on the GNE facebook page?

I think they've got the obligation to ensure the College is served and just see the Loop and put 2+2 together. Saying that students based north of the river would be forced to travel through to Gateshead

Wonder if NE1 could be persuaded to support Quaylink
I think it's almost certain that NE1 will support Quaylink though they may only fund it as far as the Sage turning circle rather than keep the full route to Gateshead Bus Station. Worth noting that the Q2 isn't at risk as Newcastle City Council haven't suggested their contribution to the pot will go.
(13 Nov 2014, 1:35 pm)markydh wrote [ -> ]I think it's almost certain that NE1 will support Quaylink though they may only fund it as far as the Sage turning circle rather than keep the full route to Gateshead Bus Station. Worth noting that the Q2 isn't at risk as Newcastle City Council haven't suggested their contribution to the pot will go.

If NE1 were willing to support it, but only to as far as the Sage, then I think Go North East would run it commercially to the bus station. There's a logic to that, because the bus station has facilities for drivers to take a comfort break, whereas they wouldn't have that if it terminated at the Sage. 
Nexus have issued a tender for evening services 238/239 and 39 to start from 31st May.
(23 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Nexus have issued a tender for evening services 238/239 and 39 to start from 31st May.

I hope GNE get 39 back, is it their service?
(23 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I hope GNE get 39 back, is it their service?

It's the evening trips which are currently operated by Stagecoach but yes the Sunderland 39. The 238/239 seems to be replacing the evening 79 service operated by Compass CT
(23 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]It's the evening trips which are currently operated by Stagecoach but yes the Sunderland 39. The 238/239 seems to be replacing the evening 79 service operated by Compass CT

Thought so, seems pointless changing the number of the 79...unless the whole route is changing?
(23 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]It's the evening trips which are currently operated by Stagecoach but yes the Sunderland 39. The 238/239 seems to be replacing the evening 79 service operated by Compass CT

Seems a bit silly numbering it as the 238 when there is already a service 238 in Sunderland.

Oops just realised the 79 goes nowhere Sunderland but doesn't the GNE 238 operate in pretty much the same area.
(23 Jan 2015, 6:32 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Seems a bit silly numbering it as the 238 when there is already a service 238 in Sunderland.

They might change it. It's happened before - take the 'Pronto' X21 and 'Sapphire' X21 in Newcastle.

I've been in Eldon Square when some dopey OAPs went to get on an X1, a Red Arrows B9, assuming it was the Arriva one back to Middlesbrough. They hadn't even looked at the destination! - they'd just seen a bus with X1 number on and assumed it was the one to take them back home. I can only guess they got mixed up with the X1/X2 thing and guessed the X1 waiting was for Middlesbrough, you would think they'd read the blind and checked if it was the X2 or not. Just a few stops down was an Arriva Gemini!

Begs the question - do some people just look at the number (or if they even do that at all!) or even bother to check the desti?

No wonder some people get lost - poor example I know but if someone hasn't used the 71 since the Sunderland changes (not the current ones - when it used to serve Sunderland itself) a couple of years back and assumes it takes them to Sunderland (having not read the destination blind). They could end up in 'the zone'! Tongue
(23 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]They might change it. It's happened before - take the 'Pronto' X21 and 'Sapphire' X21 in Newcastle.

I've been in Eldon Square when some dopey OAPs went to get on an X1, a Red Arrows B9, assuming it was the Arriva one back to Middlesbrough. They hadn't even looked at the destination! - they'd just seen a bus with X1 number on and assumed it was the one to take them back home. I can only guess they got mixed up with the X1/X2 thing and guessed the X1 waiting was for Middlesbrough, you would think they'd read the blind and checked if it was the X2 or not. Just a few stops down was an Arriva Gemini!

Begs the question - do some people just look at the number (or if they even do that at all!) or even bother to check the desti?

No wonder some people get lost - poor example I know but if someone hasn't used the 71 since the Sunderland changes (not the current ones - when it used to serve Sunderland itself) a couple of years back and assumes it takes them to Sunderland (having not read the destination blind). They could end up in 'the zone'! Tongue

Some don't, the worst is turning points where the bus stops at the same stop heading in more than one direction, sometimes used to happen on service 16 at West Park Hospital people wanting to go to Darlington Town Centre would try and get on the Newton Aycliffe bound one. The worst I've experienced was Blackpool Transport's service 20 from Marton Mere Camp and Blackpool Centre when it to Blackpool Zoo people would not look and try and get on the one heading in the opposite direction.

In Newcastle you also have two service 1's (GNE & Stagecoach). I hate bus services which have the same number as other services in the same area.
(23 Jan 2015, 6:50 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Some don't, the worst is turning points where the bus stops at the same stop heading in more than one direction, sometimes used to happen on service 16 at West Park Hospital people wanting to go to Darlington Town Centre would try and get on the Newton Aycliffe bound one. The worst I've experienced was Blackpool Transport's service 20 from Marton Mere Camp and Blackpool Centre when it to Blackpool Zoo people would not look and try and get on the one heading in the opposite direction.

In Newcastle you also have two service 1's (GNE & Stagecoach). I hate bus services which have the same number as other services in the same area.

Good point - didn't even think about the 1s!

Trying to think of more...you've got the Arriva 43 to Esh Winning and the GNE Diamond 43 in Durham?
(23 Jan 2015, 5:27 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Nexus have issued a tender for evening services 238/239 and 39 to start from 31st May.

I didn't know that service 238 runs on evenings?, did you mean 38C?.

Didn't seem that long ago that GNE got the contract to run service 239 from Arriva. ( I remember keep seeing omni 4646 always on the 239 when Arriva had it).
(23 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]I didn't know that service 238 runs on evenings?, did you mean 38C?.

Didn't seem that long ago that GNE got the contract to run service 239 from Arriva. ( I remember keep seeing omni 4646 always on the 239 when Arriva had it).

The 238/239 is replacing the evening 79/79A.
(23 Jan 2015, 7:24 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]The 238/239 is replacing the evening 79/79A.

why? if the 79 changing into a 238, then passengers are going to get mixed up with the GNE 238 from Houghton, passenger would get on the 238 evening service and think their going to Hall Lane and Seaham.
Unless the 238 is going to extend to Barnwell from Hall Lane Est?

Begs the question as to what will happen to the 79a.
The 4 runs approx 15 mins in front of it for 2 runs, leaving it alone for the last run of the night.
@Jimmi - I know this is off-topic from the current conversation - but there's also the GNE 31 and the Stagecoach 31 which pass each other in Newcastle. Smile