North East Buses

Full Version: Tender Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heard from whispers the other day that Arriva Darlington could be getting the work that sales and district do now

So that would be

29- Darlington to Richmond
34- Darlington to scorton/Marne barracks
72- Darlington to northallerton
610- Darlington to leyburn/askrigg (old X59)

Is there any truth in the rumour that I heard ?
It's been going for a couple of months mate, couple of D&D drivers have been circulating the information. Obviously it would be up for tender, but I can't see anyone else being able to take it on apart from Arriva.
(14 Nov 2015, 12:29 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote [ -> ]Heard from whispers the other day that Arriva Darlington could be getting the work that sales and district do now

So that would be

29- Darlington to Richmond
34- Darlington to scorton/Marne barracks
72- Darlington to northallerton
610- Darlington to leyburn/askrigg (old X59)

Is there any truth in the rumour that I heard ?
(15 Nov 2015, 5:58 pm)MrPottski wrote [ -> ]It's been going for a couple of months mate, couple of D&D drivers have been circulating the information. Obviously it would be up for tender,  but I can't see anyone else being able to take it on apart from Arriva.

Thing with this rumour, do we think this would this be all Dales & District services, selected services or just the ones listed in Stuart's post above as D&D also run the following services:

31 Richmond Town Service.
54/55 Northallerton - Richmond.
70 Northallerton - Ripon.
73 Northallerton - Bedale.
74 Northallerton Town Service.
136 Ripon - Melmerby Business Park.
138 Ripon - Masham.
139 Ripon - Fountains Abbey.
144 Masham - Bedale.
155 Leyburn - Bedale.
159 Richmond - Ripon.
856 Northallerton - Hawes (Dalesbus).

I can't see Arriva taking on all of those services, especially the ones in Ripon. Think Arriva could maybe take over the likes of the 29, 34, 72 and 610 easily, especially as they ran the 29/34/72 in the past, but not sure how you'd work the rest of the services from Darlington depot. Perhaps Shaun's (Ripon) could maybe take on some of the other services as they run the 153 between Northallerton and Thirsk and 3 days a week I believe they also run a service between Thirsk and Ripon Bus Station so they could maybe take on some of the work as well. Abbott's of Leaming Bar maybe could as well.

Obviously it's all rumours and not everything is known about what would happen etc. Also some of the services l have listed are due to be cut back as further spending cuts take place, the 54 will no longer run to Richmond and a rumour I heard is the town services will go, so lord knows what would happen.
(14 Nov 2015, 12:29 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote [ -> ]Heard from whispers the other day that Arriva Darlington could be getting the work that sales and district do now

I've merged this thread with the general tender discussion thread.
Possibly reopening an outstation in Richmond with Darlington based buses could be an idea, there's plenty of drivers based down that way.
Hodgsons could take on some more service work, as well as Shaun's and Abbots.
It's a shame to see Procters cutting back so much, it really pissed me off they took Leven Valley on, just to wind it up. I understand there's more to it than that but from the outside, it didn't look good. I think the Spirit Buses example proves that start up bus companies struggle so it's good luck to whoever takes the work on.
The NYCC stuff was all re-tendered recently (earlier this year I think) for which D&D won most of it back, with Little White Bus taking on some of the more rural stuff like the 30. I've heard rumours of Procter dumping the service work too, though. Interesting times ahead maybe
(13 Nov 2015, 2:45 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Any tenders coming up for grabs?

Nexus released four tenders earlier this afternoon:

Service 15/15A (Kenton Shops - Newcastle City Centre - Walker)
Contract Period: 20/03/2016 - 18/03/2017
Currently operated by Stagecoach North East.

Contractual requirements:
Saturdays Only
4x low-floor Euro 4 vehicles with a minimum capacity of 36 - full size single deck/double deck vehicles are not suitable for this route.

Service 33 (Newcastle City Centre - Jesmond - Hollywood Avenue)
Currently operated by Kingsley's Coaches.

Monday - Saturday
2x low-floor Euro 4 vehicles with a minimum capacity of 36.

Service 35 (Newcastle City Centre - Red House Farm - Newcastle City Centre)

Saturdays Only
2x low-floor Euro 4 vehicles with a minimum capacity of 49 - full size single deck/double deck vehicles are not suitable for this route.

Service 57A (Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Whitley Bay - North Tyneside General Hospital - North Shields)
Currently operated by Arriva North East.

Daily, evenings only.
(27 Nov 2015, 4:30 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Nexus released four tenders earlier this afternoon:

Service 15/15A (Kenton Shops - Newcastle City Centre - Walker)

Saturdays Only
4x low-floor Euro 4 vehicles with a minimum capacity of 36 - full size single deck/double deck vehicles are not suitable for this route.

Service 33 (Newcastle City Centre - Jesmond - Hollywood Avenue)
Currently operated by Kingsley's Coaches.

Monday - Saturday

Service 35 (Newcastle City Centre - Red House Farm - Newcastle City Centre)

Saturdays Only
2x low-floor Euro 4 vehicles with a minimum capacity of 49 - full size single deck/double deck vehicles are not suitable for this route.

Service 57A (Cramlington - Seaton Delaval - Whitley Bay - North Tyneside General Hospital - North Shields)

Daily, evenings only.

Think these will all stay where they are.
(27 Nov 2015, 4:56 pm)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]Think these will all stay where they are.

I reckon Go North East could stand a chance with the 57A.
None of Arriva Northumbria's depots have Euro4 minibuses. So I certainly can't see the evening 57/57a staying with Arriva.
(27 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]None of Arriva Northumbria's depots have Euro4 minibuses. So I certainly can't see the evening 57/57a staying with Arriva.

Well buses can always move around.
(27 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]None of Arriva Northumbria's depots have Euro4 minibuses. So I certainly can't see the evening 57/57a staying with Arriva.

(27 Nov 2015, 6:59 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Well buses can always move around.

The alternative to vehicles moving from one location to another would be to allocate a vehicle which is of a higher specification than the contractual requirement? All of Jesmond's Optare Solos are Euro 5, so these would comply with the minimum contractual requirement.

Go North East has the upper hand with readily-available Euro 4+ minibuses in North Tyneside, and luckily for them, both vehicles depart from North Shields as their first run (18:56 and 19:56 respectively) rather than Cramlington, reducing the need for vehicles to run light.
(27 Nov 2015, 7:02 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]There isn't even any Euro 4 minibuses in Durham County either.

There is - the solos.
(27 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]None of Arriva Northumbria's depots have Euro4 minibuses. So I certainly can't see the evening 57/57a staying with Arriva.
According to the NEB fleet list, the Solo's are Euro 5, could it be possibly be operated by Jesmond Depot?
I must have been using the 'year' filter in the fleet lists...oops. There's 30-odd minibuses that are Euro5. Only Euro4 vehicles at Arriva are 7501-13.
(27 Nov 2015, 4:30 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Nexus released four tenders earlier this afternoon:

Daily, evenings only.

This contract has now been revised to operate from North Shields to Earsdon Village only. The PVR of this service is therefore reduced to one vehicle, and the final journey of the day from Earsdon Village is now 22:26 instead of 23:25 (previously 22:57 from Cramlington).

There are no alterations to vehicle specification, and the contract period remains the same.
I've never understood why some of the contract specifications require such high passenger capacity. Clearly with worker's and scholars services, this is more important, but take the 35 between Newcastle and Red House Farm. It's a requirement that there needs to be a capacity of at least 49, but surely if 49 people were using this service on a regular basis, then the service wouldn't need to be secured.
(04 Dec 2015, 4:55 pm)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]I've never understood why some of the contract specifications require such high passenger capacity. Clearly with worker's and scholars services, this is more important, but take the 35 between Newcastle and Red House Farm. It's a requirement that there needs to be a capacity of at least 49, but surely if 49 people were using this service on a regular basis, then the service wouldn't need to be secured.

I'm aware that the old 34(now 434) contract specified the same capacity as a double decker. It never has any more than 5 passengers on board when I used the 34.
Northumberland's first Taxi Bus was launched recently.

Service TTP1 operates between North Seaton Colliery and Ashington Town Centre on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Min 8 Seater

1100...North Seaton Colliery
1105...Seaton Hirst The Elephant (on request to access medical centre)
1110...Ashington Station Road Argos (opp)
1115...Ashington Laburnum Terrace Rowlands Pharmacy (on request to access medical centre, Asda etc)

1325...Ashington Laburnum Terrace Rowlands Pharmacy (on request to return from medical centre, Asda etc)
1330...Ashington Station Road Argos
1335...Seaton Hirst The Elephant (on request to return from medical centre)
1340...North Seaton Colliery

I presume this service is operated by Phoenix Coaches. I received a letter stating that the service runs well with plenty of custom, so I'll see what operates it tomorrow.
Did Kingsley retain the 33 contract?