North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 1:00 pm)Greg in Weardale You wouldn't believe how many people are totally incapable of understanding a timetable.

Quite common.
A lot of people assume everyone has the ability to read one - unfortunately, not everyone can (for whatever reason).

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 1:00 pm)Greg in Weardale You wouldn't believe how many people are totally incapable of understanding a timetable.

Is it really hard to just read down a list of times on a piece of paper? All you need to know when using one is which journey you're planning to make, where you are getting on (which should be easy), get a timetable and look down the list to see when the bus is due (or when the bus is due at the closest place to your actual stop). To me, there is nothing hard about that...

The only people that should have difficulty are people with needs that makes it difficult to read, most of these people however can probably read them but cant be bothered to look for themselves (the people on the fb page asking). I know its bad to make judgements but its probably correct.

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 24 Aug 2014

The timetables displayed on the bus stop poles are complicated by M-F, Sat and Sunday/BH restrictions which means several listings are not valid (this was the case with the two men consulting the timetable - especially as the stop serves both directions so there were at least half a dozen times that weren't relevant).

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 2:22 pm)Robert Is it really hard to just read down a list of times on a piece of paper? All you need to know when using one is which journey you're planning to make, where you are getting on (which should be easy), get a timetable and look down the list to see when the bus is due (or when the bus is due at the closest place to your actual stop). To me, there is nothing hard about that...

The only people that should have difficulty are people with needs that makes it difficult to read, most of these people however can probably read them but cant be bothered to look for themselves (the people on the fb page asking). I know its bad to make judgements but its probably correct.

A surprising number of people cannot read a full bus timetable at all, others cannot understand the principle that if their stop doesn't have its own time, they need to use the nearest time BEFORE their stop. Also many people misunderstand column headings like NS, S, Sch, etc. They may find it easier to use the list of departures on bus stops, rather than a full timetable such as those in leaflets. And many of the people who can't read timetables can read perfectly well and don't have learning difficulties; they just can't deal with timetables. They may often be the people who don't realise they need to put their hand out to stop a bus and wonder why it sails by.

(24 Aug 2014, 4:42 pm)Greg in Weardale A surprising number of people cannot read a full bus timetable at all, others cannot understand the principle that if their stop doesn't have its own time, they need to use the nearest time BEFORE their stop. Also many people misunderstand column headings like NS, S, Sch, etc. They may find it easier to use the list of departures on bus stops, rather than a full timetable such as those in leaflets. And many of the people who can't read timetables can read perfectly well and don't have learning difficulties; they just can't deal with timetables. They may often be the people who don't realise they need to put their hand out to stop a bus and wonder why it sails by.

Well dont you think people should start telling these people how to read it? Timetables dont get published to be ignored which is exactly what these people are doing. If they dont know how to read it then they can do what we all had to do and learn.

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 5:01 pm)Robert Well dont you think people should start telling these people how to read it? Timetables dont get published to be ignored which is exactly what these people are doing. If they dont know how to read it then they can do what we all had to do and learn.

If I'm honest, I've never found it hard. I think the newest Nexus ones are the easiest to read in terms of finding the hour and minutes, although I'm not a big fan of the design myself. Also, just out of interest, does anyone know what was used on the Metrocentre/Lancastrian Suite Shuttle yesterday?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 5:01 pm)Robert Well dont you think people should start telling these people how to read it? Timetables dont get published to be ignored which is exactly what these people are doing. If they dont know how to read it then they can do what we all had to do and learn.

Don't you think at the same time though that timetables should be designed with more consideration given to user experience? Nexus timetables are fine, as they list the minutes past each hour, service number, destination, and also an indication of how long it will take to each point. Durham examples are poor, being just a huge list of times ascending, the service number and destination.

Bus stop timetables in Northumberland are published and maintained by Northumberland County Council.

Some list all departures regardless of operator whilst a few have 'patches' with individual operators displayed (Hexham Railway Station is one of the latter).

(24 Aug 2014, 5:54 pm)aureolin Don't you think at the same time though that timetables should be designed with more consideration given to user experience? Nexus timetables are fine, as they list the minutes past each hour, service number, destination, and also an indication of how long it will take to each point. Durham examples are poor, being just a huge list of times ascending, the service number and destination.

im on about actual leaflet timetables here rather that bus stop ones. Same thing though, nothing is stopping them fro learning how to use them.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 24 Aug 2014

I know it is a long shot, what if a person is illiterate and actually can't read?

Go North East - Latest - R852 PRG - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 6:06 pm)marxistafozzski I know it is a long shot, what if a person is illiterate and actually can't read?

I agree, some people take years to understand and become capable. I remember reading that Jamie Oliver read his first book at the age of 38, due to his dyslexia.

(24 Aug 2014, 6:06 pm)marxistafozzski I know it is a long shot, what if a person is illiterate and actually can't read?

As i said in my original post, not been able to read (due to any condition that stops them from doing so) is perfectly understandable. Its the people who can read but still ask that i have the problem with...

Would someone who cannot read be contacting the Facebook page?

(24 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm)Robert As i said in my original post, not been able to read (due to any condition that stops them from doing so) is perfectly understandable. Its the people who can read but still ask that i have the problem with...

I must say some people are as thick as pig shirt, have no common sense, and 1 brain cell among fellow idiots

(24 Aug 2014, 6:11 pm)G-CPTN Would someone who cannot read be contacting the Facebook page?

No they wouldn't...

But my point had nothing to do with Facebook, I was thinking about Timetables at Bus Stops and Bus Stations

RE: Go North East - Latest - Jimmi - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm)Robert As i said in my original post, not been able to read (due to any condition that stops them from doing so) is perfectly understandable. Its the people who can read but still ask that i have the problem with...

Some people can read but don't read them properly, I was in Ferryhill once and someone thought there was not a 33 for another hour because the time was underneath the previous journey and he obviously read the times sideways.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2014

If you think.about it, you will have seen it in maths lessons at school.
There is generally always questions relating to a simplified bus timetable - as handling data/extracting data is part of the curriculum.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous If you think.about it, you will have seen it in maths lessons at school.
There is generally always questions relating to a simplified bus timetable - as handling data/extracting data is part of the curriculum.
I was thinking it's one of the very first things you cover as part of the GCSE syllabus, and that comes from the Key Stage 3 Maths syllabus itself...

Easy marks in an exam for most, I suspect.

(24 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm)Andreos Constantopolous If you think.about it, you will have seen it in maths lessons at school.

There is always the obligatory bus timetable on maths exams, I never did a maths exam without one, it was the only question I could answer in most maths tests

Some people are excluded from school (either voluntarily or officially).
Then there are those who attend but don't participate . . .