North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - MurdnunoC - 09 May 2023

Rumours are abound that the withdrawal of services 51-55 have been announced to Arriva staff today.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Unber43 - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 4:14 pm)MurdnunoC Rumours are abound that the withdrawal of services 51-55 have been announced to Arriva staff today.
As in 51 & 55, or 51 through 55?

(09 May 2023, 5:02 pm)Unber43 As in 51 & 55, or 51 through 55?

51, 52, 53, 54 and 55.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Busu284 - 09 May 2023

Hmm strange. If it is true its a strange one considering the 51 was only just saved during march & Arriva reput the 52/53 back to every 30 minutes

If the 54 goes I wonder if Stagecoach would take it full time since they already run the evening & Sundays timetable now. 55 could go to GNE working out of Percy Main. But the 51/52/53 be strange. Hopefully this isn't true as they are quite a core asset to North Shields/Cobalt/Killingworth & Cramlington

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - RobinHood - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 5:22 pm)Busu284 Hmm strange. If it is true its a strange one considering the 51 was only just saved during march & Arriva reput the 52/53 back to every 30 minutes

If the 54 goes I wonder if Stagecoach would take it full time since they already run the evening & Sundays timetable now. 55 could go to GNE working out of Percy Main. But the 51/52/53 be strange. Hopefully this isn't true as they are quite a core asset to North Shields/Cobalt/Killingworth & Cramlington
It is true.

Newcastle (Walkergate) will close in September. Trade Union were told last week.

Arriva have apparently already told Nexus and they are working on tendering the 51-55. Arriva are focusing on their interurban services instead from Blyth.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - solsburian - 09 May 2023

They are literally cutting themselves out existence. Incredible.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Andreos1 - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 5:28 pm)RobinHood It is true.

Newcastle (Walkergate) will close in September. Trade Union were told last week.

Arriva have apparently already told Nexus and they are working on tendering the 51-55. Arriva are focusing on their interurban services instead from Blyth.

Nowt like growing a network and finding out what the punters want is there?

Mind, I cant see this being the only example. 
If the cash isn't there, they aren't forecasting growth - then they're not going to afford vehicles

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Storx - 09 May 2023

Wonder if there might be some changes to some existing services to cover these routes.

X8 serving Killingworth
X7/X8 serving Matthew Bank
57A rerouted via Fern Drive

To pick three which would least cover some of it with little change.

(09 May 2023, 5:41 pm)Andreos1 Nowt like growing a network and finding out what the punters want is there?

Mind, I cant see this being the only example. 
If the cash isn't there, they aren't forecasting growth - then they're not going to afford vehicles

Still, it will give L469 LVK a chance to redesign the network for the umpteenth time with all services going through Hadrian Park and Billy Mill. 

Oh, and a super-depot at Percy Main.

Oh, oh, oh. And the 22 to be split into two separate services at Willington Square roundabout.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - DeltaMan - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 5:28 pm)RobinHood It is true.

At this rate, North Tynside will be effectively franchised through the back door.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - mb134 - 09 May 2023

Depot rumblings I'd heard, so take with a pinch of salt, indicated that it was increasingly unlikely that either Blyth or Ashington could be expanded as originally intended. Costs of land, availability of land, costs of building etc all mentioned.

That, coupled with seemingly now permanent changes in work pattern, probably made operating the entire Jesmond operation from SE Northumberland unviable in the end. I imagine they've had to choose between the busy and you'd assume profitable 43/44/45, and the likely loss making 51-55. Other changes to funding etc probably helped that decision.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - V514DFT - 09 May 2023

Well thats fantastic, how am i supposed to get to my mothers now, i can currently get the 53 direct, but if i miss it i can get one from the coast road to town then the 55

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Busu284 - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 5:46 pm)Storx Wonder if there might be some changes to some existing services to cover these routes.

X8 serving Killingworth
X7/X8 serving Matthew Bank
57A rerouted via Fern Drive

To pick three which would least cover some of it with little change.
I think they should reintroduced the old X4/X5 where they went via Four Lane Ends & Freeman Hospital. Stagecoach could easily take the 54 full time

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - tyresmoke - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 7:02 pm)Busu284 I think they should reintroduced the old X4/X5 where they went via Four Lane Ends & Freeman Hospital. Stagecoach could easily take the 54 full time

Could they? Have they got the drivers & vehicles to take it on 6 days a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(09 May 2023, 6:54 pm)V514DFT Well thats fantastic, how am i supposed to get to my mothers now, i can currently get the 53 direct, but if i miss it i can get one from the coast road to town then the 55

Would imagine most, if not all, routes will be contracted out by Nexus if not taken on commercially by other operators. 

I'd say the 52/53 would be the most likely to be commercially ran by another company, potentially Stagecoach given it already has operations in and around Killingworth so operationally it may be more efficient. The 51/4/5 would almost certainly be tendered, but I could absolutely see those 3 being split up and slapped onto other routes.

(09 May 2023, 7:04 pm)tyresmoke Could they? Have they got the drivers & vehicles to take it on 6 days a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More to the point, why would Arriva commercially introduce bus services to replace ones which are obviously not as profitable as they would like?

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Storx - 09 May 2023

(09 May 2023, 7:02 pm)Busu284 I think they should reintroduced the old X4/X5 where they went via Four Lane Ends & Freeman Hospital. Stagecoach could easily take the 54 full time

Disagree with that, it killed the X4/X5 the last time round when they done that and was extremely unpopular. They're slow enough as they are already imo. Matthew Bank will be covered by them instead imo.

(09 May 2023, 7:06 pm)mb134 Would imagine most, if not all, routes will be contracted out by Nexus if not taken on commercially by other operators. 

I'd say the 52/53 would be the most likely to be commercially ran by another company, potentially Stagecoach given it already has operations in and around Killingworth so operationally it may be more efficient. The 51/4/5 would almost certainly be tendered, but I could absolutely see those 3 being split up and slapped onto other routes.

Can't see the 52 existing personally, can see that being bolted onto the end of the 18 so it would be a Cramlington to Walker service instead of Benton, would only need 2 buses to do it. It's exactly 30 minutes from Four Lane Ends to Cramlington.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Unber43 - 09 May 2023

If GNE were to win 51-55 that would be a massive win for them!

I always thought the 51-55 were very popular and profitable, atleast the 52/53/54

I always thought the 51-55 were very popular and profitable, atleast the 52/53/54

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Thomas12 - 09 May 2023

In reality, the 335 could be amended to replace the 55 - although not sure if that will be possible until March as I assume that's when the current ones are valid until.

Scrap the FLE-Killingworth section (not needed as it duplicates the 62), amend route in Forest Hall and extend to Newcastle. It would only take 1 extra bus if they are wanting to run half hourly Forest Hall-Newcastle.

(09 May 2023, 7:55 pm)Unber43

There's a reason Arriva gave up the evening and Sunday 54s early doors...