North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1258)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 7:17 pm)G-CPTN Some people are excluded from school (either voluntarily or officially).
Then there are those who attend but don't participate . . .

Is it really that hard to answer what most timetable questions are? 'How long does it take to get from point A (place) to point B (place). All you need to do is round it up to the nearest hour (if needed) and go from there. Either way, you are still studying a timetable which is exactly why i cant understand people not been able to use them. This however is a point i didnt think about until Andreos mentioned it a few posts back.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 7:32 pm)Robert Is it really that hard to answer what most timetable questions are? 'How long does it take to get from point A (place) to point B (place). All you need to do is round it up to the nearest hour (if needed) and go from there. Either way, you are still studying a timetable which is exactly why i cant understand people not been able to use them. This however is a point i didnt think about until Andreos mentioned it a few posts back.

Everyone has their brain wired up differently.
There will be things you 'get' or 'find easy', that others don't and vice versa.

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 7:40 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Everyone has their brain wired up differently.
There will be things you 'get' or 'find easy', that others don't and vice versa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2eyq9qTOQY

(and there's several more . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DNGh126oM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDm2eyq9qTOQY&v=tOFJpsDmKvU

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 24 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm)G-CPTN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2eyq9qTOQY

(and there's several more . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8DNGh126oM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDm2eyq9qTOQY&v=tOFJpsDmKvU

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 25 Aug 2014

Email which I have just Received from Go North East Customer Services, See Wellsey even on Bank Holiday Monday, Go North East respond to Customer Complaints, Plus I only emailed them Late Saturday Evening.

Dear Adam

We are sorry that you have had reason to contact us to complain about the late running of our services. The details of your complaint have been forwarded to the depot manager for investigation and to monitor these service to improve reliability. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Yours sincerely
Christine
Customer Services

RE: Go North East - Latest - Wellsey18 - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Email which I have just Received from Go North East Customer Services, See Wellsey even on Bank Holiday Monday, Go North East respond to Customer Complaints, Plus I only emailed them Late Saturday Evening.

Dear Adam

We are sorry that you have had reason to contact us to complain about the late running of our services. The details of your complaint have been forwarded to the depot manager for investigation and to monitor these service to improve reliability. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Yours sincerely
Christine
Customer Services

Fair enough, I'm just sceptical of how much of a difference it makes in the grand scheme of things

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm)Wellsey18 Fair enough, I'm just sceptical of how much of a difference it makes in the grand scheme of things

I'd assume management would get complaint statistics every month or quarter. They'd usually deep dive those statistics into categories, and then further down to specifics. So it all helps. I'd be surprised if operators didn't do that anyway!

RE: Go North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm)Wellsey18 Fair enough, I'm just sceptical of how much of a difference it makes in the grand scheme of things

Well, nothing will instantly change, considering it takes a minimum of 56 days to get a service change and do VOSA "stuff", as well as the fact a new timetable would have to be planned, and so on. You'll have to be patient, but you never know...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 7:50 pm)aureolin I'd assume management would get complaint statistics every month or quarter. They'd usually deep dive those statistics into categories, and then further down to specifics. So it all helps. I'd be surprised if operators didn't do that anyway!

Indeed. Like I said yesterday, feedback (positive or negative) all helps improve the bus network.

One could suggest that regular service changes are bad (and arguably this may be so if bus operators are constantly cutting at individual runs which aren't profitable), but if service changes are designed to improve reliability and increase customer convenience, I'd suggest it's the opposite...

I'm very surprised (and impressed) that Go North East got back in touch with Adam today - kudos to them, and a good customer service experience which should be logged in our "Customer Services" thread! Wink

(25 Aug 2014, 7:55 pm)BJ10VUS Well, nothing will instantly change, considering it takes a minimum of 56 days to get a service change and do VOSA "stuff", as well as the fact a new timetable would have to be planned, and so on. You'll have to be patient, but you never know...

Each service is regularly reviewed - profits being taken, lost mileage, customer complaints (you get the picture). As you say, nothing will instantaneously happen as a result of Adam's complaint, but providing others have experienced services M2/M3 being late regularly too, things definitely could change in the future.

If services are running late and a PVR increase can be justified (ie the vehicles are available and it is thought that the service won't suddenly make a loss), the PVR will increase. A recent example of this is on the TEN network of services.
If a PVR increase cannot be justified, the company may look at re-routing the service to see if that works better. Any service suggestions made to the company via e-mail or to the local press will then be considered. I think we could consider a recent example of this being the Toon Link, where service 11 has been re-routed slightly at Crawcrook.
If lost mileage as a result of breakdowns is the issue, and the service is worthy of an upgrade, it will be discussed by members of management who can then look at the future fleet position (especially when new buses are due) to see if newer or more reliable vehicles can be drafted in. A recent example of this is on the Wear Tees Xpress service.

It's a waiting game from now. Like I say, as an irregular user of the M2/M3 services, I have not had any issues with timekeeping (so I'd suggest that there's not a massive problem as I can't hit lucky with buses being on time every time I use them). If issues have been reported on several occasions and lost mileage figures provide evidence for there being an issue, progression for improvements may be made.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Drifter60 - 25 Aug 2014

(24 Aug 2014, 1:15 pm)aureolin I agree. In that instance people should simply be referred to the view all timetables URL.

It's hardly strenuous task for the customer services to look at their service times, if people are needing a bus quick and are on there phones downloading timetables isn't always easy. Often people don't know which service too.
And if I'm wanting a bus between Sunderland & Monkwearmouth or Newcastle to Gateshead there's a whole host of service go between those locations downloading each service timetable isn't practically when Customer Services can do it and help the customer.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm)Drifter60 It's hardly strenuous task for the customer services to look at their service times, if people are needing a bus quick and are on there phones downloading timetables isn't always easy. Often people don't know which service too.
And if I'm wanting a bus between Sunderland & Monkwearmouth or Newcastle to Gateshead there's a whole host of service go between those locations downloading each service timetable isn't practically when Customer Services can do it and help the customer.

Some people are clearly in their own home when asking. I have seen questions structured like this:

'What time is the first (service number) from (place)?'
Would you ask that from out on the street on your mobile phone? Highly doubt it. Most households these days do have at least 1 PC in their home to find out. If they are so addicted to their phone, whats wrong with the GNE app? Its certainly more precise than paper timetables.

RE: Go North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 25 Aug 2014

The Annual cycle thing through Durham, Sacrison and other places is happening on Sunday morning next week. Ill assume that Diamonds and other services will be serving their usual diversions when this event is on.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 8:12 pm)Drifter60 It's hardly strenuous task for the customer services to look at their service times, if people are needing a bus quick and are on there phones downloading timetables isn't always easy. Often people don't know which service too.

Perhaps you've identified room for improvement then? A mobile site where a user can enter a 'From' and 'To', and a list of services, times, and fares are displayed? I guess it'd sort the issue of times out, downloading a full timetable on a phone, and people not knowing single/return fares in advance?

I do agree it's hardly a strenuous task, but it's perhaps one that should be automated. It would certainly provide cost benefits in the long run.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin Perhaps you've identified room for improvement then? A mobile site where a user can enter a 'From' and 'To', and a list of services, times, and fares are displayed? I guess it'd sort the issue of times out, downloading a full timetable on a phone, and people not knowing single/return fares in advance?

I do agree it's hardly a strenuous task, but it's perhaps one that should be automated. It would certainly provide cost benefits in the long run.

Although it's not great and acts like more of a search facility, Go North East do have a basic version of what you've said here, though it hasn't really been promoted.

I suspect it hasn't really been promoted because they're working on replacing it with something better, once they have real time technology up and running (which I hope will come with an improved app to allow journey planning?)

RE: Go North East - Latest - G-CPTN - 25 Aug 2014

GoogleMaps has a facility whereby you can click on a bus stop and it will list all buses from that stop (all operators) with times and destinations.

This doesn't seem to work for all stops (especially where there are .any buses).

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 8:35 pm)Dan Although it's not great and acts like more of a search facility, Go North East do have a basic version of what you've said here, though it hasn't really been promoted.

I suspect it hasn't really been promoted because they're working on replacing it with something better, once they have real time technology up and running (which I hope will come with an improved app to allow journey planning?)

The problem with that facility (which has been mentioned before), is that it is linked to the timetables and the 'entry' needs to match the GNE spellings in order to get the times the passenger needs.

A new recruit to the FPF, will have no joy if they type Houghton in the from box and Fencehouses in the to box.
Similarly, if you are travelling between two points which involves a change of bus, the search will be unsuccessful in that case too.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Acky81 - 25 Aug 2014

Absolutely shocking what I saw today on ryhope road just past sandcastle pub. The silver arrows bus used already was displaying 2C instead of 61 heading for Sunderland then I saw a simplicity with 60 destinations but no number then a drifter on the 42. Yes I know the 42 is always drifter on Sundays but looks silly using this then a simplicity on 60. I know they interwork but how confusing for passengers using these four routes

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 9:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The problem with that facility (which has been mentioned before), is that it is linked to the timetables and the 'entry' needs to match the GNE spellings in order to get the times they need.

A new recruit to the FPF, will have no joy if they type Houghton in the from box and Fencehouses in the to box.
Similarly, if you are travelling between two points which involves a change of bus, the search will be unsuccessful in that case too.
Like I said, basic and probably more of a temporary workaround whilst better features are in development.

I typed in 'Sunderland' to 'Monkwearmouth' to try it out, and instead of being faced with services 9, 29, 35, 56, X36 and god knows whatever else, I was only faced with service X36.

Moreover, to get back to the original discussion and to add my own opinions, I think the fair majority of people who are able to go on Facebook and add a wallpost to a Facebook page should be capable of opening a PDF document, or should be capable of downloading the "thekeymobile" app, which can be quite useful for seeing an individual run's timetable clearly.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin Perhaps you've identified room for improvement then? A mobile site where a user can enter a 'From' and 'To', and a list of services, times, and fares are displayed? I guess it'd sort the issue of times out, downloading a full timetable on a phone, and people not knowing single/return fares in advance?

There is already the nextbuses app and I use HereTransit - but they are limited as to what they can provide (use data from traveline).

Some local authorities have the text alert and I have used the Nexus nfc service too.

There is the potential to improve on what already exists.

(25 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm)Dan Like I said, basic and probably more of a temporary workaround whilst better features are in development.

I typed in 'Sunderland' to 'Monkwearmouth' to try it out, and instead of being faced with services 9, 29, 35, 56, X36 and god knows whatever else, I was only faced with service X36.

Moreover, to get back to the original discussion and to add my own opinions, I think the fair majority of people who are able to go on Facebook and add a wallpost to a Facebook page should be capable of opening a PDF document, or should be capable of downloading the "thekeymobile" app, which can be quite useful for seeing an individual run's timetable clearly.

Lets hope you don't need the times from Newcastle Road to Sunderland or Monkwearmouth to South Shields Wink

How temporary is it going to be?
It must be almost two years since they first introduced it when the site was relaunched.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 25 Aug 2014

(25 Aug 2014, 9:35 pm)Acky81 Absolutely shocking what I saw today on ryhope road just past sandcastle pub. The silver arrows bus used already was displaying 2C instead of 61 heading for Sunderland then I saw a simplicity with 60 destinations but no number then a drifter on the 42. Yes I know the 42 is always drifter on Sundays but looks silly using this then a simplicity on 60. I know they interwork but how confusing for passengers using these four routes
Was this mid morning/noon?