North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1259)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Go North East - Latest - durhambusman - 30 Oct 2014

5333 was sitting in Peterlee bus station on Wednesday morning.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N07/15651622472/

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 7:16 pm)durhambusman 5333 was sitting in Peterlee bus station on Wednesday morning.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16042610@N07/15651622472/

Not another one broken? 5334 and 5336 were both sat in Middlesbrough at 1705, I'm guessing one was a changeover for the other, thereby presuming the 1610 X7 didn't run

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm)tyresmoke Not another one broken? 5334 and 5336 were both sat in Middlesbrough at 1705, I'm guessing one was a changeover for the other, thereby presuming the 1610 X7 didn't run

Another one? Repeat offenders, more like.

5333 was out on road test, which is why it was at Peterlee, as I had said yesterday here. Clearly it needed work on route.
5336 has also been VOR for the same reason as 5333 since mid-September, and clearly they pushed to get it back out into service a bit too soon.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 9:21 pm)Dan Another one? Repeat offenders, more like.

5333 was out on road test, which is why it was at Peterlee, as I had said yesterday here. Clearly it needed work on route.
5336 has also been VOR for the same reason as 5333 since mid-September, and clearly they pushed to get it back out into service a bit too soon.

Have 5333 and 5336 had problems for very long? It can't be good having issues with 50% of the X7 fleet, when there's some a lot of competition on route nowadays. I somehow can't see it dragging on for as long as the problems on the 20 have for example.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 9:25 pm)aureolin Have 5333 and 5336 had problems for very long? It can't be good having issues with 50% of the X7 fleet, when there's some a lot of competition on route nowadays. I somehow can't see it dragging on for as long as the problems on the 20 have for example.

Saw the 1415ish X21 today, and it had about 10 passengers coming in, and 12 passengers going out. No idea about the X7, but has it been affected much by the X21?

(30 Oct 2014, 9:25 pm)aureolin Have 5333 and 5336 had problems for very long? It can't be good having issues with 50% of the X7 fleet, when there's some a lot of competition on route nowadays. I somehow can't see it dragging on for as long as the problems on the 20 have for example.

I believe both have been VOR since mid-September. Peterlee had a Volvo B10BLE and a Scania L94UB to cover all of last month but have only really had a Scania L94UB this month (I'm guessing they've needed the 'extra' bus). Obviously if Deptford have quite a few problems of their own, paired with the fact there's now greater competition on the route (either from the new vehicles on Arriva's service 23 or indeed the new X21 service), they're going to want to get the Mercs back on the road as soon as they can. I think it's been more so an issue of awaiting various parts more than anything else, though I'm not 100% and someone else may be able to confirm...

The situation with the Wear Tees Xpress cannot be compared to the Prince Bishops. The issues with the Mercs have been mechanical and that's why they've had to receive new parts. The apparent issues with the Scania L94s (in most cases) are not mechanical at all; indeed, the most common reason for the "Prince Bishops" branded allocation to be VOR is for their monthly checks. There has been a Scania L94UB which has required an engine overhaul recently, which is a mechanical fault, and was VOR for a period of approximately three months, but this has now returned to service. With a higher PVR and no branded spare vehicles, the missing vehicles are a lot more noticeable. Deptford's allocations are also rather fluid - indeed corporate liveried vehicles are often swapped around and put out onto different services on the grounds of suitability or contractual requirements. Without repeating the points I've made on several occasions prior to this post, it is quite easy to assume that if a vehicle is VOR it's going to be for a mechanical reason. This is not true, and I think most of us will know this as I've banged on about it more than DaveyBowyer has banged on about the Red Arrows getting new buses  this year.

(30 Oct 2014, 9:28 pm)Tom Saw the 1415ish X21 today, and it had about 10 passengers coming in, and 12 passengers going out. No idea about the X7, but has it been affected much by the X21?

Not particularly.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 30 Oct 2014

It's not those pesky wing mirrors again?

#missingpurplesolars
#wingmirrorissues
#hashtagsonNEB.

(30 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm)Andreos1 It's not those pesky wing mirrors again?

#missingpurplesolars
#wingmirrorissues
#hashtagsonNEB.

It happens with more than just your beloved purple Solars, Andreos. See this post.

#delayedecocitys
#wingmirrorissues
#hashtagsonNEB

(30 Oct 2014, 9:38 pm)Dan I believe both have been VOR since mid-September. Peterlee had a Volvo B10BLE and a Scania L94UB to cover all of last month but have only really had a Scania L94UB this month (I'm guessing they've needed the 'extra' bus). Obviously if Deptford have quite a few problems of their own, paired with the fact there's now greater competition on the route (either from the new vehicles on Arriva's service 23 or indeed the new X21 service), they're going to want to get the Mercs back on the road as soon as they can. I think it's been more so an issue of awaiting various parts more than anything else, though I'm not 100% and someone else may be able to confirm...

The situation with the Wear Tees Xpress cannot be compared to the Prince Bishops. The issues with the Mercs have been mechanical and that's why they've had to receive new parts. The apparent issues with the Scania L94s (in most cases) are not mechanical at all; indeed, the most common reason for the "Prince Bishops" branded allocation to be VOR is for their monthly checks. There has been a Scania L94UB which has required an engine overhaul recently, which is a mechanical fault, and was VOR for a period of approximately three months, but this has now returned to service. With a higher PVR and no branded spare vehicles, the missing vehicles are a lot more noticeable. Deptford's allocations are also rather fluid - indeed corporate liveried vehicles are often swapped around and put out onto different services on the grounds of suitability or contractual requirements. Without repeating the points I've made on several occasions prior to this post, it is quite easy to assume that if a vehicle is VOR it's going to be for a mechanical reason. This is not true, and I think most of us will know this as I've banged on about it more than DaveyBowyer has banged on about the Red Arrows getting new buses  this year.

Not particularly.

It wasn't for a like for like comparison of the actual issues causing the VORs, but more so a statement that perhaps GNE won't want the issues to go on for as long as those with the Prince Bishops have been. Prince Bishops has no direct competition, and people are going to use it, whether it be a Solar or cattle truck that turns up. If vehicles that customers perceive to be 'clapped out old things' keep turning up on the X7, then they have the option to have a ride out on an EcoCity instead.

It did make me chuckle when I read it at the time.

Just to clarify, there is nothing beloved about those purple Solars.
Starting to understand how gtom felt about the DAF's.
Mind, for all their faults, issues with condensation and breakdowns - they had cracking wing mirrors!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Malarkey - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm)Andreos1 It's not those pesky wing mirrors again?

#missingpurplesolars
#wingmirrorissues
#hashtagsonNEB.

Speaking of Wing Mirrors, Keep a look out for Deptfords Citaros, There is a right Mix 'N' Match in terms of Coloured Wing Mirrors on them.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 9:59 pm)Andreos1 It did make me chuckle when I read it at the time.

Just to clarify, there is nothing beloved about those purple Solars.
Starting to understand how gtom felt about the DAF's.
Mind, for all their faults, issues with condensation and breakdowns - they had cracking wing mirrors!

Lets be honest, if this was Arriva, it would be totally different... People wouldn't be making excuses like they do for GNE. 

(30 Oct 2014, 9:56 pm)aureolin It wasn't for a like for like comparison of the actual issues causing the VORs, but more so a statement that perhaps GNE won't want the issues to go on for as long as those with the Prince Bishops have been. Prince Bishops has no direct competition, and people are going to use it, whether it be a Solar or cattle truck that turns up. If vehicles that customers perceive to be 'clapped out old things' keep turning up on the X7, then they have the option to have a ride out on an EcoCity instead.

But what are the alleged issues on the Prince Bishops?

The main reason for buses to be absent from service is so the bus can have its monthly check. It would be irrational to suggest that, just because there is competition on the X7 route, Go North East isn't going to give the "Wear Tees Xpress" buses a monthly check...

(30 Oct 2014, 10:00 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Speaking of Wing Mirrors, Keep a look out for Deptfords Citaros, There is a right Mix 'N' Match in terms of Coloured Wing Mirrors on them.

Something which has been noted by higher management and is being worked on. Getting the buses out on the road is the main priority.

(30 Oct 2014, 10:00 pm)Tom Lets be honest, if this was Arriva, it would be totally different... People wouldn't be making excuses like they do for GNE. 

I have no information about vehicles in the Arriva fleet so cannot 'make excuses' (provide reasons) for why buses are missing.

I have more things to do with my life than to make one company sound wonderful and another an absolute shambles. I find this post rather rude and uncalled for indeed. The alternative is of course that 'people' with information stop contributing as much, if 'people' are going to make posts like this.

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm)tyresmoke Not another one broken? 5334 and 5336 were both sat in Middlesbrough at 1705, I'm guessing one was a changeover for the other, thereby presuming the 1610 X7 didn't run

Are we sure about this....looking at the data 5334 operated the 1510 out of Boro, 1643 out of Sunderland, 1820 out of Boro.  5336 operated the 1720 out of Boro.  I have no data for 5335 and 5333 has been on staff shuttles all day.

The X7 seems to have had its proper allocation at run out this morning.

(30 Oct 2014, 10:01 pm)Dan But what are the alleged issues on the Prince Bishops?

The main reason for buses to be absent from service is so the bus can have its monthly check. It would be irrational to suggest that, just because there is competition on the X7 route, Go North East isn't going to give the "Wear Tees Xpress" buses a monthly check...

I can't think of a day in the past three weeks that I haven't seen at least one red spare in use on the Prince Bishops. If it's frequent enough for me to notice, I'd say it's more than a vehicle being taken out of service for a monthly check, but not arguing that that will sometimes be the reason a vehicle is absent. 

RE: Go North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 30 Oct 2014

(30 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm)citaro5284 Are we sure about this....looking at the data 5334 operated the 1510 out of Boro, 1643 out of Sunderland, 1820 out of Boro.  5336 operated the 1720 out of Boro.  I have no data for 5335 and 5333 has been on staff shuttles all day.

The X7 seems to have had its proper allocation at run out this morning.

Maybe I got the fleet numbers wrong? There was definitely 2 in Middlesbrough together as they were parked next to each other. One departed NIS at 1711 as I left on my X5

(30 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm)aureolin I can't think of a day in the past three weeks that I haven't seen at least one red spare in use on the Prince Bishops. If it's frequent enough for me to notice, I'd say it's more than a vehicle being taken out of service for a monthly check, but not arguing that that will sometimes be the reason a vehicle is absent. 

I have previously stated that 14 in every 28 days, at least one vehicle will be missing for its monthly check (and that's assuming it only takes one day - depending on the level of work at the depot, it can be more). As there are no branded spare vehicles for the Prince Bishops, this is so easily noticed. As you have previously said, it is also easier to identify corporate liveried vehicles covering for vehicles on branded services than it is to identify corporate liveried vehicles covering for corporate liveried vehicles.

On other occasions, buses are removed from service during the day for various reasons, including due to lateness (a replacement bus may have been sent out on time instead with a corporate liveried vehicle), due to small issues such as wing mirrors being knocked, wipers not working, and for other reasons such as accidents.

Of course, on top of this, you have your bog standard VORs. Depending on what the issue is (there's a whole host of reasons which I couldn't even begin to list), the bus will be off the road for different amounts of time.

The point I am trying to make, which I have done several times in the past, is that it is not always a mechanical fault for buses being VOR. The alleged 'issues' on the Prince Bishops are nothing more than alleged. If there was any issues with the vehicles that are allocated to this service, management would have to do something about it. Go North East has very high Group standards to meet in terms of low mileage, so if there are constant breakdowns this needs to be nipped in the bud, and quite frankly, it would be.

Don't forget the reasons given by the GNE fb bod when one doesn't turn up nor the several breakdowns I have seen by the side of the road with their hazards on.

(30 Oct 2014, 10:18 pm)Andreos1 Don't forget the reasons given by the GNE fb bod when one doesn't turn up nor the several breakdowns I have seen by the side of the road with their hazards on.

This says it all! You may have seen the bus by the side of the road with its hazard lights on, but you don't know the reason for it because you're not on these buses!

I was on one of Stagecoach Sunderland's fairly new Enviro200s the other day, and the bus had to pull into the side of the road because there was a light on the dash that the driver was unfamiliar with. The driver got out of the cab, and rang someone (presumably control) on her mobile telephone to ask what she should do. She was told to carry on the route as normal.

Fitters in orange outfits, passengers being moved on to the bus behind, bonnets being open, a bus being parked up with its hazards on an hour after driving past initially, parked on the path outside St Michaels in Houghton...

Aye, says it all... :s