North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1314)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Dan - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:37 pm)mb134 Thank you Smile so if Arriva have given two spares for a route with a PVR of 18 why not give a route with a PVR of 15 2 spares also? Especially when more than half the vehicles are nearly 7 years old...

Having just two spares for a PVR of 18 is also pushing it, if you ask me. I appreciate it can be difficult to finance spare vehicles, but this is where corporate liveried spares to the same interior specification as branded vehicles comes in - which Go North East cleverly did in their orders last year for the Citylink, Fab56 and Cobalt Clipper, as aureolin pointed out above. This way, the vehicles can be allocated to other services, but their first point of call is to act as backup for the service for which they were ordered for.

I understand that having two different 'pots' of money will also make this difficult, but is perhaps something Arriva UK ought to have thought about. 'Sapphire' delivers what is allegedly a 'unique' public transport experience, with it also being marketed as upmarket and high quality. If vehicles which aren't to Sapphire specification are regularly cropping up due to the lack of spare vehicles, then a lot of customers are going to be very disappointed (although the lack of Next Stop Announcements makes this one debatable! Angel ), and this upmarket brand is being heavily diluted in the process.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - mb134 - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:45 pm)Dan Having just two spares for a PVR of 18 is also pushing it, if you ask me. I appreciate it can be difficult to finance spare vehicles, but this is where corporate liveried spares to the same interior specification as branded vehicles comes in - which Go North East cleverly did in their orders last year for the Citylink, Fab56 and Cobalt Clipper, as aureolin pointed out above. This way, the vehicles can be allocated to other services, but their first point of call is to act as backup for the service for which they were ordered for.

I understand that having two different 'pots' of money will also make this difficult, but is perhaps something Arriva UK ought to have thought about. 'Sapphire' delivers what is allegedly a 'unique' public transport experience, with it also being marketed as upmarket and high quality. If vehicles which aren't to Sapphire specification are regularly cropping up due to the lack of spare vehicles, then a lot of customers are going to be very disappointed (although the lack of Next Stop Announcements makes this one debatable! Angel ), and this upmarket brand is being heavily diluted in the process.
Just as a suggestion, would it be a possibility if ANE bought two new Sapphire spares (using their own "pot")however these could float throughout the region and help out, when they are launched, all four Sapphire routes?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:48 pm)mb134 Just as a suggestion, would it be a possibility if ANE bought two new Sapphire spares (using their own "pot")however these could float throughout the region and help out, when they are launched, all four Sapphire routes?

One issue is they would have have to be single deckers as they are low bridges on the X3/X3A/X4 and 5/5A also Darlington depot don't want any double deckers after one got wedged under Prestigegate.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm)Kuyoyo No. When 7491 appeared on the X22 on Tuesday, it replaced a late running 7501 (which came in about 20 minutes late, behind 7509 which was the 1130 from Ashington).

As for an extra spare, I think people need reminding that 'Sapphire' funding comes from Arriva UK's special funding pot, unlike 'MAX' which comes from ANE's own pot. So, the funding for either a brand new spare or to refurbish one of 7514-21 (whichever ones don't get done for the X14/14) would require the Sapphire team to release extra funding for it. And I think that will also count for one being done to Sapphire specification internally (much like 1512 for Stockton).

I understand what you're saying, but maybe that's a flaw in the Sapphire business plan? Either that, or the attitude has been taken that the depots can cope, by sticking whatever is going free, out to cover.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - mb134 - 08 Aug 2014

(08 Aug 2014, 8:02 pm)Dan Sapphire hasn't worked particularly well at Ashington, with vehicles that aren't to Sapphire specification being allocated daily. This is, of course, in addition to the fact vehicles were launched without branding, and some with issues to

I don't know if the issues where Wi-Fi and power sockets weren't working have been fixed or not, but I'd definitely hope so, given that normal corporate liveried vehicles are appearing so frequently. I'm doubtful that the vehicle with destination display issues has been fixed either, which is also quite irritating, as this should have been fixed before it entered service.

ADL Enviro400 7504 is yet to enter service as far as I know, so that's Ashington's spare bus VOR...
Maybe they planned on 7509 being the initial spare and getting it branded as soon as they could, but then 7504 broke?
7523's display still looked dodgy as of yesterday afternoon when I saw it.
Surely fixing 7504 should have been a priority before the launch??

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - busman101 - 08 Aug 2014

(01 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Would have thought the 17.10 would be busy, with it being peak time.

Obviously with it being fb, everyone knew who everyone was.
There wasn't a mask of anonymity to hide behind.

The discussions were certainly enlightening - a certain fella in a little village off the a1 in Northumberland made the FPF campaign looking tame in comparison!

He's still going strong at times I see too - bless him ! There was a story there as he campaigned to stop Council Houses being built in said village and won, however, said Council Houses would have probably made the bus service much more viable !!!

Also liking the comments on pg 337 of Blyth being the most reliable depot - if they're the best, heaven help the worst !

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 08 Aug 2014

43 has been shocking lately. Saw three running late Today and two of them running 10 minutes late! Should make the 43 standalone with a PVR of 6 (3 evenings and Sundays) and change the boards on the 44 / 45 (Monday to Saturday) and 52 / 53 (evenings and Sundays)

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Philly rf - 09 Aug 2014

Well every time I go to the depot 7504 is sitting there with a sign saying vor on one side and nis on the other and the driver said that durham are lending them a pulsar but doesn't know what date it was comin and it must be true because when I went to durham one of the staff said it up there aswell just wait and see and don't quote on it as arriva drivers are very certain for their false information.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - VolvoMarkII - 09 Aug 2014

Yet a few miles down the region, a shared Sapphire service of 10 PVR copes very well? The 7 only has 1 spare between two depots, which logistically must be worse than Ashington?

I suspect Ashington just have no handle on the service and simply allocate whatever they feel like. Typically.

Its a a bit like when Sapphire goes to Stockton & Redcar. I suspect Stockton will be on top of it, but Redcar will allocate Sapphire all over the place and wrong types turning up on X3/X4 left, right and centre.

If the existing mind set for ensuring correct allocation isn't there now, no amount of branded buses will change it.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 7:08 am)VolvoMarkII Yet a few miles down the region, a shared Sapphire service of 10 PVR copes very well? The 7 only has 1 spare between two depots, which logistically must be worse than Ashington?

I suspect Ashington just have no handle on the service and simply allocate whatever they feel like. Typically.

Its a a bit like when Sapphire goes to Stockton & Redcar. I suspect Stockton will be on top of it, but Redcar will allocate Sapphire all over the place and wrong types turning up on X3/X4 left, right and centre.

If the existing mind set for ensuring correct allocation isn't there now, no amount of branded buses will change it.

Sounds about right, though one of the managers from Stockton is going to Redcar so hopefully he can sort it out.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - mb134 - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 7:08 am)VolvoMarkII Yet a few miles down the region, a shared Sapphire service of 10 PVR copes very well? The 7 only has 1 spare between two depots, which logistically must be worse than Ashington?

Durham and Darlington recieved brand new vehicles for their service though, whereas some of the E400's Ashington have got have been used on the X93, X15 and X18 for a few years of their lives. Since 7504 is off the road they have no option but to allocate "Whatever they like" if one other vehicle is also off the road, surely?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 9:16 am)mb134 Durham and Darlington recieved brand new vehicles for their service though, whereas some of the E400's Ashington have got have been used on the X93, X15 and X18 for a few years of their lives. Since 7504 is off the road they have no option but to allocate "Whatever they like" if one other vehicle is also off the road, surely?

And X31 and X32 and 308.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 9:16 am)mb134 Durham and Darlington recieved brand new vehicles for their service though, whereas some of the E400's Ashington have got have been used on the X93, X15 and X18 for a few years of their lives. Since 7504 is off the road they have no option but to allocate "Whatever they like" if one other vehicle is also off the road, surely?

They've had plenty of time to prepare them though.

Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Dan - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 1:18 pm)mb134 True but some problems may not present themselves until a few days in service, not all problems would show themselves on the short journey from Thorntons to Ashington depot
It's the small things like broken destination displays what's annoying though. Mere warranty replacement jobs, and it seems to have gone unnoticed. It's baffling - I'd expect all new buses to be fully checked over at Jesmond when they arrive...

On another note - does anyone know why the Whitby Park and Ride service is running on a half hourly frequency with a 15 minute delayed bus today? Only one bus (2827) appears to have been allocated. The other working did not show up at Whitby for the time I was there, nor was it anywhere to be found on the Live Map...

(09 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm)Roland Pratt They've had plenty of time to prepare them though.
I'm sure they would have done what they could, they aren't stupid. Whatever has kept 7504 off the road for the past week and a half must be pretty serious, if it wasn't it shouldn't take this long to repair it. The overheating problem with 7501's gearbox probably wouldn't have shown on the short journey from Thorntons to Ashington depot either

Re: RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Dan - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 1:24 pm)mb134 I'm sure they would have done what they could, they aren't stupid. Whatever has kept 7504 off the road for the past week and a half must be pretty serious, if it wasn't it shouldn't take this long to repair it. The overheating problem with 7501's gearbox probably wouldn't have shown on the short journey from Thorntons to Ashington depot either
It's undergoing 'engine repairs' by DiagTest...
https://flic.kr/p/ogJm4q

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 09 Aug 2014

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who is running the company? The depots or the senior management team? If one depot can manage their Sapphire allocations correctly (like your example of the 7), then there's absolutely no reason why all their depots can't manage it. If the depot teams still aren't complying, then get a local management team in place that will ensure it happens.

When the x93 b9s come what will happen to the b7s

(09 Aug 2014, 1:58 pm)Philly rf When the x93 b9s come what will happen to the b7s
I think someone on here the other day said that some will go back to Northumberland

(09 Aug 2014, 2:51 pm)mb134 I think someone on here the other day said that some will go back to Northumberland

Hope they do I love those buses