North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1314)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 16 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin I haven't the foggiest, but I assumed the answer would be one of the two!

No, what bank I'm I on about?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 16 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm)DaveyBowyer No, what bank I'm I on about?

Well the question was "What buses do you guys think would cope on this bank"? I honestly haven't the foggiest where the bank is like. Enlighten us? Smile

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 16 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm)aureolin Well the question was "What buses do you guys think would cope on this bank"? I honestly haven't the foggiest where the bank is like. Enlighten us? Smile

Ok, here it goes.........

Sutton Bank!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 16 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm)DaveyBowyer Ok, here it goes.........

Sutton Bank!

Cars struggle to get up there, so I imagine buses are banned along with the other vehicles on the 'no-no' list.

Indeed the EYMS, service used to turn around in the car park at the top.
Unless it has been axed, I imagine it still isn't powerful enough to get back up.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - busman101 - 16 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Cars struggle to get up there, so I imagine buses are banned along with the other vehicles on the 'no-no' list.

Unless it has been axed, I imagine it still isn't powerful enough to get back up.

I've been up there with an EYMS coach, back in the day

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - alibill_36 - 17 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm)Dan It's undergoing 'engine repairs' by DiagTest...
https://flic.kr/p/ogJm4q

Don't know if it has been previously reported but 7504 was in service on Saturday.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 17 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm)busman101 I've been up there with an EYMS coach, back in the day

That will have been fun!
How did you manage and more importantly, how big was the queue of traffic behind you?

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 17 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 8:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Cars struggle to get up there, so I imagine buses are banned along with the other vehicles on the 'no-no' list.

128 ran there as a Sunday extension from Helmsley. It has recently been axed but never used the main part of the bank. Unless you're on about a moors bus service.

(17 Aug 2014, 8:35 am)Robert 128 ran there as a Sunday extension from Helmsley. It has recently been axed but never used the main part of the bank. Unless you're on about a moors bus service.

It was a few years ago since I needed to be over that way on a regular basis - so not sure what it was.
Can just remember a Gemini using the car park/visitors centre as a terminus.
Because I was generally over that way with work, it will have been a weekday service.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - S813 FVK - 17 Aug 2014

(17 Aug 2014, 8:47 am)Andreos Constantopolous It was a few years ago since I needed to be over that way on a regular basis - so not sure what it was.
Can just remember a Gemini using the car park/visitors centre as a terminus.
Because I was generally over that way with work, it will have been a weekday service.

Could have started out as an everyday service but all i know is that it was reduced to Sunday only then completely phased out recently.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 17 Aug 2014

If I'm right in thinking it continued from Helmsley, the route wouldn't have actually been required to go up or down Sutton Bank. However, I do agree that it wouldn't have been powerful enough to tackle it!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - upt50k - 17 Aug 2014

(16 Aug 2014, 6:39 pm)tyresmoke I've not had a drive of it yet, but have been familiarised with the cab etc. I'm told they're a bit slower though by those who have driven them over from depot... Also lower top speed being limited at 52-53 as opposed to Pulsars which will do 60.
This will slow up Darlington X1 when they get their examples as they use the full performance of the current Pulsars unless there are some timing changes when Max is introduced

(17 Aug 2014, 2:07 pm)BJ10VUS If I'm right in thinking it continued from Helmsley, the route wouldn't have actually been required to go up or down Sutton Bank. However, I do agree that it wouldn't have been powerful enough to tackle it!

It was an extension of a service to Helmsley - where it originated from I have no idea.

Although it would have been useful to fill the black hole between Thirsk and the Moors, I am guessing the bank is the reason why the black hole exists.

Shame they didn't have Palatine II's on :p

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 17 Aug 2014

(17 Aug 2014, 2:24 pm)upt50k This will slow up Darlington X1 when they get their examples as they use the full performance of the current Pulsars unless there are some timing changes when Max is introduced

But why are they slowing them down for? I got told by one driver at Blyth that the DB300's are limited to 50mph.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andy - 17 Aug 2014

7445,7468,7470,7474,7611,7612 on metro replacements today

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - BJ10VUS - 17 Aug 2014

(17 Aug 2014, 3:30 pm)Andreos Constantopolous It was an extension of a service to Helmsley - where it originated from I have no idea.

Although it would have been useful to fill the black hole between Thirsk and the Moors, I am guessing the bank is the reason why the black hole exists.

Shame they didn't have Palatine II's on :p

Starts at Scarborough and operates via Pickering, judging by the most recent timetable (excludes Helmsley to Sutton Bank Visitor Centre), so I think I'm right about it not having to climb the bank. I totally agree about the bank being a "black hole" though, and it's a shame that the link will ever exist, as I doubt even the mighty Palatine II could climb Sutton Bank!

Brrrrrrooooommmm, brrrrrrooooommmm, brrrrrrooooommmm! Tongue

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - L469 YVK - 17 Aug 2014

(17 Aug 2014, 5:22 pm)BJ10VUS Starts at Scarborough and operates via Pickering, judging by the most recent timetable (excludes Helmsley to Sutton Bank Visitor Centre), so I think I'm right about it not having to climb the bank. I totally agree about the bank being a "black hole" though, and it's a shame that the link will ever exist, as I doubt even the mighty Palatine II could climb Sutton Bank!

Brrrrrrooooommmm, brrrrrrooooommmm, brrrrrrooooommmm! Tongue

Ok then:

Palatine 2 on bend:
Vroom, hiss, vrrrrroooommmmm(hiss), vroommm and next the top, a gear change

B9TL:
Sound of the Pulleys then a bang then a vroom

E400:
Juddering and slowly picking up pace. Don't try it with 7501 - 7513 though

B5TL:
The sound of running feet and aching of people trying to push the thing up!

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 18 Aug 2014

Optare Spectra 7483 is still in service and is on the 1240 X20 from Newcastle.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 18 Aug 2014

(18 Aug 2014, 11:50 am)Jimmi Optare Spectra 7483 is still in service and is on the 1240 X20 from Newcastle.

Remains out while Redcar have 7491. Be out until at least October.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Jimmi - 18 Aug 2014

Belmont Sapphire Pulsar 1522 now has yellow fleet number on the front. On 1519 I've noticed a box with the fleet number in about halfway down the bus above the window inside.