North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=2327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - L469 YVK - 24 Nov 2019

Another bit of a daft question here but when the X30 is going to Newcastle via the A184, why does it go down and up the slip road at the Askew Road junction rather than going straight over the bridge? Is this just specific to double deckers?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Stanleyone - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 11:30 am)L469 YVK Another bit of a daft question here but when the X30 is going to Newcastle via the A184, why does it go down and up the slip road at the Askew Road junction rather than going straight over the bridge? Is this just specific to double deckers?

height restriction on the flyover Newcastle bound only. 10ft 6 limit, Mercs had to go down to roundabout being 10ft 10 (some drivers didn’t), Streetlites being 10ft 1 can go over.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - GNE6312 - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 9:53 am)pbjd Streetlite 5459 involved in a thermal incident in Swalwell yesterday afternoon.
What happened

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - L469 YVK - 24 Nov 2019

Thanks, probably also clears up my previous question about the TVT / Red Kites going via the Gas Works rather than Pitz Soccer & Lookers Ford as it takes the same amount of time. Can the X30 also come off at the Askew Rd junction and divert via Centrelink if required?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - big mac - 24 Nov 2019

(22 Nov 2019, 9:25 am)streetdeckfan Exactly that. I mean the X30 is still pretty quick, it only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than the car assuming it has a clear run, and the car follows the speed limits

My main gripe though is with the X45/46/47. Having them run limited stop for the short section between MetroCentre and Newcastle is not enough to call it an express route in my eyes.
And no matter how you put it, a journey with 71 stops (in the case of the X21) is not express!

If GNE have stuck an X on the front of the 45/46/47 because of the short section of route from the metrocentre to Newcastle where it is non-stop, why haven't they with the 10/10A/10B, as they do the same thing?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - streetdeckfan - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 3:35 pm)big mac If GNE have stuck an X on the front of the 45/46/47 because of the short section of route from the metrocentre to Newcastle where it is non-stop, why haven't they with the 10/10A/10B, as they do the same thing?
Exactly. Its all marketing bull! They didn't have enough 'express' routes to make the X-lines 'network' so they just made some up!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - big mac - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 3:40 pm)streetdeckfan Exactly. Its all marketing bull! They didn't have enough 'express' routes to make the X-lines 'network' so they just made some up!

I also think the X prefix could be confusing to passengers, who will see the X and presume that means limited stop, but on the x45/x46/x47, and also the x21, there are large sections of the route where the services serve every single stop along the way. People will just get baffled about which service stops where.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Stanleyone - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 2:43 pm)L469 YVK Thanks, probably also clears up my previous question about the TVT / Red Kites going via the Gas Works rather than Pitz Soccer & Lookers Ford as it takes the same amount of time. Can the X30 also come off at the Askew Rd junction and divert via Centrelink if required?
Yes we can come back and operate via Centrelink if necessary.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - streetdeckfan - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 4:21 pm)big mac I also think the X prefix could be confusing to passengers, who will see the X and presume that means limited stop, but on the x45/x46/x47, and also the x21, there are large sections of the route where the services serve every single stop along the way. People will just get baffled about which service stops where.
I'd argue that unless most of the route is limited stop, then it shouldn't be an express route.

I mean for the X21, it is technically an Express 21, as it operates the 21 route limited stop. But the rest of the route is very much every stop!
But the X45/X46/X47 it's only the last short part that's express, and there isn't a non-express route available (for most of the route anyway,

I also said the same thing about the Arriva X46 between Crook and Durham. They did the same thing to make it a 'MAX' route

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - S813 FVK - 24 Nov 2019

Even before the July changes, the journey time of the Red Kites wasn't that much longer than the X70/X71. In that sense, it could be argued that they may as well portray them as express services given they aren't that much slower than the actual 'expresses'. 

However, that doesn't persuade me away from the view that the rebrand is only taking place for the operational convenience of getting drivers of the X31 back to Consett instead of having to do any driver swaps at Stanley, with the non-stop section being introduced to justify the rebrand on a public-facing level.

A good approach to reduce fuel consumption, but not one that has been entirely favourable with passengers (hello to those in Lanchester, Burnhope and Quaking Houses!).

(24 Nov 2019, 5:05 pm)S813 FVK Even before the July changes, the journey time of the Red Kites wasn't that much longer than the X70/X71. In that sense, it could be argued that they may as well portray them as express services given they aren't that much slower than the actual 'expresses'. 

However, that doesn't persuade me away from the view that the rebrand is only taking place for the operational convenience of getting drivers of the X31 back to Consett instead of having to do any driver swaps at Stanley, with the non-stop section being introduced to justify the rebrand on a public-facing level.

A good approach to reduce fuel consumption, but not one that has been entirely favourable with passengers (hello to those in Lanchester, Burnhope and Quaking Houses!).
And as I've said a few times, I don't believe a service should be called 'express' unless there is also a 'normal' service that follows the same route

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - OrangeArrow49 - 24 Nov 2019

Is an internet connection required to use an M-Ticket? Is using the onboard WiFi possible or does the M-Ticket need to be shown upon boarding? I have never used the app. Can I save the M-Ticket somehow to be used offline? Thanks.

(24 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm)OrangeArrow49 Is an internet connection required to use an M-Ticket? Is using the onboard WiFi possible or does the M-Ticket need to be shown upon boarding? I have never used the app. Can I save the M-Ticket somehow to be used offline? Thanks.
You need to activate it when you're online, but it should stay available on the app even if you have no signal. But I wouldn't count on it working, it's known to have many issues with the barcode not showing even with internet!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - OrangeArrow49 - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 7:37 pm)streetdeckfan You need to activate it when you're online, but it should stay available on the app even if you have no signal. But I wouldn't count on it working, it's known to have many issues with the barcode not showing even with internet!

So I activate it on the app within 3 month of issue, when I am online and then I can use it offline after that? I wasn't sure if the app worked offline. What happens when there are issues, with or without internet?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Andreos1 - 24 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 4:21 pm)big mac I also think the X prefix could be confusing to passengers, who will see the X and presume that means limited stop, but on the x45/x46/x47, and also the x21, there are large sections of the route where the services serve every single stop along the way. People will just get baffled about which service stops where.

I do think any initial hype and subsequent increased number of bums on seats, will start to fall away once punters realise these services are anything but express in the main.

There was discussion a while back about the X1 and its stopping arrangements and route now, versus those it saw in its X5 incarnation. 

It was limited stop all the way from Hartlepool to the Galls (opposed to a stopping service between Easington Lane and the Galls) and it operated via Stormont Main Club at Wrekenton (rather than via the bus link). 
There was no faffing about at Gateshead either, as like most cross-Tyne services, it didn't enter the Interchange heading towards the town. 
Straight over the High Level and up Clayton St. Back out as it does now, but again, it missed out Wrekenton High St, turning left at the lights and missing all of the associated delays in Wrekenton and those encountered getting back out and turning against the traffic. 

Appreciate there is more traffic now than in year's gone by, but when you add each and every stop that it now calls at, to the changes in route once it hits Gateshead, then the time difference in a journey (regardless of the actual timetable), is quite significant.

One other point of note, was that there was no dictat about which way it should/shouldn't leave/enter the Galls either.
If there was traffic at the southern access, it would leave by the northern access and vice versa on a south-bound run.

Edit. Managed to locate a timetable for the limited stop X5 from the Bygone Era. Compare the journey time from Easington Lane - Newcastle with the current X1.

Appreciate there is more traffic now, than back in 89, but if operators are wanting people to ditch the cars and use public transport, are they going about it the right way?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - streetdeckfan - 25 Nov 2019

(24 Nov 2019, 7:42 pm)OrangeArrow49 So I activate it on the app within 3 month of issue, when I am online and then I can use it offline after that? I wasn't sure if the app worked offline. What happens when there are issues, with or without internet?

That's how it used to work anyway, not sure with the new app that's being launched.

When I've had issues in the past the driver has just let me on anyway, they probably know how buggy the app is!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Rob44 - 25 Nov 2019

Andreos.... that a X service!!! I used to travel on the x4 to Sunderland interchange a lot, and I don't think that journey took to long either!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Andreos1 - 25 Nov 2019

(25 Nov 2019, 10:45 am)Rob44 Andreos.... that a X service!!!  I used to travel on the x4 to Sunderland interchange a lot, and I don't think that journey took to long either!

https://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/assets/uploads/GWBx4June10th2002.jpg

An hour door to door. 
The equivalent now, is the 56 or the metro. I know which one I'd choose...
To be fair, the 56 is only timetabled to take 10mins longer than the X4 did. Which surprised me.

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - ryan.c.lawrence.5 - 25 Nov 2019

5283's adverts coming out & it's fleet number is in wrong place [Image: 8c5e3350bb7805203aeef427bdf698f0.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019 - Michael - 25 Nov 2019

From GNE official fleet fleet:

Optare Solo M950/Optare 710 – 714 (WK59 CWU/CWW/CWX/CWY/CWZ) have been withdrawn from service at Riverside

Optare Versa V1110/Optare 8294, 8295, 8297, 8298 (NK09 FUP/FUT/FUV/FUW) have transferred to Riverside in lieu.