Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (21) Previous 114 15 1621 Next
22 Nov 2019, 9:25 am #281
(22 Nov 2019, 9:12 am)garym67 The X30 is more frequent now but it takes much longer than it used to in the past, the X30 used to be a genuine express serving only Stanley, Sunniside, Lobley Hill, Gateshead and Newcastle and took 30 minutes, not it takes at least 40. Accepting of course there is more traffic now so it gets stuck more often, but observing all stops and going via Whickham makes it anything but express. It's still very convenient and easy if you are just going to Newcastle, but the extra time becomes a pain if you then need to get another bus, rush hour journeys often take 50+ minutes in my experience, albeit as an infrequent user.

Exactly that. I mean the X30 is still pretty quick, it only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than the car assuming it has a clear run, and the car follows the speed limits

My main gripe though is with the X45/46/47. Having them run limited stop for the short section between MetroCentre and Newcastle is not enough to call it an express route in my eyes.
And no matter how you put it, a journey with 71 stops (in the case of the X21) is not express!
streetdeckfan
22 Nov 2019, 9:25 am #281

(22 Nov 2019, 9:12 am)garym67 The X30 is more frequent now but it takes much longer than it used to in the past, the X30 used to be a genuine express serving only Stanley, Sunniside, Lobley Hill, Gateshead and Newcastle and took 30 minutes, not it takes at least 40. Accepting of course there is more traffic now so it gets stuck more often, but observing all stops and going via Whickham makes it anything but express. It's still very convenient and easy if you are just going to Newcastle, but the extra time becomes a pain if you then need to get another bus, rush hour journeys often take 50+ minutes in my experience, albeit as an infrequent user.

Exactly that. I mean the X30 is still pretty quick, it only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than the car assuming it has a clear run, and the car follows the speed limits

My main gripe though is with the X45/46/47. Having them run limited stop for the short section between MetroCentre and Newcastle is not enough to call it an express route in my eyes.
And no matter how you put it, a journey with 71 stops (in the case of the X21) is not express!

22 Nov 2019, 9:58 am #282
(22 Nov 2019, 9:25 am)streetdeckfan Exactly that. I mean the X30 is still pretty quick, it only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than the car assuming it has a clear run, and the car follows the speed limits

Sticking an 'X' in front of a number is a very good marketing exercise, regardless of where it goes and how many stops it serves, especially as we are ride the current X-lines wave. Will be the reason for Go North East adopting the Red Kites into X-Lines to boost an enhanced service.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
22 Nov 2019, 9:58 am #282

(22 Nov 2019, 9:25 am)streetdeckfan Exactly that. I mean the X30 is still pretty quick, it only takes about 10-15 minutes longer than the car assuming it has a clear run, and the car follows the speed limits

Sticking an 'X' in front of a number is a very good marketing exercise, regardless of where it goes and how many stops it serves, especially as we are ride the current X-lines wave. Will be the reason for Go North East adopting the Red Kites into X-Lines to boost an enhanced service.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Andreos1

22 Nov 2019, 10:29 am #283
The thing is, what is being proposed nationwide, is totally different to the proposal in Manchester and what we saw under the QCS proposal. 

Any suggestions we see now, are clearly under the auspices of a tory government and their ideology. 

You mention the out of town shopping, Sunday shopping and other elements in your post, yet fail to mention the lack of progress (locally at least) in countering those changes and enabling passengers region wide, to take advantage of those social changes whilst using public transport. 
For all the back slapping and self congratulations there may be, I don't think the industry hasn't adapted or improved as much as it thinks it has.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Nov 2019, 10:29 am #283

The thing is, what is being proposed nationwide, is totally different to the proposal in Manchester and what we saw under the QCS proposal. 

Any suggestions we see now, are clearly under the auspices of a tory government and their ideology. 

You mention the out of town shopping, Sunday shopping and other elements in your post, yet fail to mention the lack of progress (locally at least) in countering those changes and enabling passengers region wide, to take advantage of those social changes whilst using public transport. 
For all the back slapping and self congratulations there may be, I don't think the industry hasn't adapted or improved as much as it thinks it has.

22 Nov 2019, 11:31 am #284
(22 Nov 2019, 10:29 am)Andreos1 The thing is, what is being proposed nationwide, is totally different to the proposal in Manchester and what we saw under the QCS proposal. 

Labour have given absolutely no detail in how they're going to do it so how can you say it's totally different to the proposal in Manchester?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
22 Nov 2019, 11:31 am #284

(22 Nov 2019, 10:29 am)Andreos1 The thing is, what is being proposed nationwide, is totally different to the proposal in Manchester and what we saw under the QCS proposal. 

Labour have given absolutely no detail in how they're going to do it so how can you say it's totally different to the proposal in Manchester?

Andreos1

22 Nov 2019, 11:50 am #285
(22 Nov 2019, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Labour have given absolutely no detail in how they're going to do it so how can you say it's totally different to the proposal in Manchester?

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-annou...us-routes/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...-tory-cuts

https://labourlist.org/2019/11/labour-wo...rbyn-says/

Huh

Public ownership - not franchise is a starting point for you.

https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/buses

Andreos1
22 Nov 2019, 11:50 am #285

(22 Nov 2019, 11:31 am)streetdeckfan Labour have given absolutely no detail in how they're going to do it so how can you say it's totally different to the proposal in Manchester?

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-annou...us-routes/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...-tory-cuts

https://labourlist.org/2019/11/labour-wo...rbyn-says/

Huh

Public ownership - not franchise is a starting point for you.

https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/buses

S830OFT

22 Nov 2019, 1:15 pm #286
8319 has been refurbished and was at Beamish in its new livery for Beamish...

S830OFT
22 Nov 2019, 1:15 pm #286

8319 has been refurbished and was at Beamish in its new livery for Beamish...

Ds1197

22 Nov 2019, 1:20 pm #287
(22 Nov 2019, 1:15 pm)S830OFT 8319 has been refurbished and was at Beamish in its new livery for Beamish...

Looks like it could be a brand for 28/28A
Ds1197
22 Nov 2019, 1:20 pm #287

(22 Nov 2019, 1:15 pm)S830OFT 8319 has been refurbished and was at Beamish in its new livery for Beamish...

Looks like it could be a brand for 28/28A

ne14ne1

22 Nov 2019, 1:24 pm #288
(22 Nov 2019, 1:20 pm)Ds1197 Looks like it could be a brand for 28/28A

Let’s hope not! It doesn’t follow the new corporate identity anyway.
ne14ne1
22 Nov 2019, 1:24 pm #288

(22 Nov 2019, 1:20 pm)Ds1197 Looks like it could be a brand for 28/28A

Let’s hope not! It doesn’t follow the new corporate identity anyway.

cbma06

22 Nov 2019, 1:39 pm #289
Can we not put this politics issue to the appropriate political thread on this forum, also never believe what labour or any other says to the run up to the elections there are just trying to buy your votes and not go through what there stated in the run up to the election, the older generation will know all these cons but the younger generation are so naive in what there here from the campaigns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
22 Nov 2019, 1:39 pm #289

Can we not put this politics issue to the appropriate political thread on this forum, also never believe what labour or any other says to the run up to the elections there are just trying to buy your votes and not go through what there stated in the run up to the election, the older generation will know all these cons but the younger generation are so naive in what there here from the campaigns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm #290
(21 Nov 2019, 10:05 pm)deanmachine They do at Middlesbrough, or at least they did when I worked at Riverside in the summer.

[Image: 49105463866_a0b561fa93_c.jpg]Go North East 9077 / YX19 ONU by kieron mathews, on Flickr

Managed to catch it today but difficult to track as it shows on bus times but not on the GNE app

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
22 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm #290

(21 Nov 2019, 10:05 pm)deanmachine They do at Middlesbrough, or at least they did when I worked at Riverside in the summer.

[Image: 49105463866_a0b561fa93_c.jpg]Go North East 9077 / YX19 ONU by kieron mathews, on Flickr

Managed to catch it today but difficult to track as it shows on bus times but not on the GNE app

22 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm #291
Go North East have confirmed the Scania Farewell event will take place at Saltmeadows Depot from 11am on Sunday 15th December

[Image: 07afc523bfb713c402a8aac5bfc76ae6.jpg]

TEN 6083
22 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm #291

Go North East have confirmed the Scania Farewell event will take place at Saltmeadows Depot from 11am on Sunday 15th December

[Image: 07afc523bfb713c402a8aac5bfc76ae6.jpg]

Michael

22 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm #292

Looks smart!, wonder how many more Versa's will get refurbished??
Attached Files
.jpg
versa.jpg
Size 432.91 KB / Downloads 42

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Nov 2019, 7:25 pm #292

Looks smart!, wonder how many more Versa's will get refurbished??

Attached Files
.jpg
versa.jpg
Size 432.91 KB / Downloads 42

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

22 Nov 2019, 7:34 pm #293
Wonder if the 11/63 plates get the same treatment inside , be good to See a citaro with this interior. Also 6099 is at Deptford if not said in new livery moving to Percy main end of month

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
ryan.c.lawrence.5
22 Nov 2019, 7:34 pm #293

Wonder if the 11/63 plates get the same treatment inside , be good to See a citaro with this interior. Also 6099 is at Deptford if not said in new livery moving to Percy main end of month

Michael

22 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm #294
(22 Nov 2019, 7:34 pm)ryan.c.lawrence.5 Wonder if the 11/63 plates get the same treatment inside , be good to See a citaro with this interior. Also 6099 is at Deptford if not said in new livery moving to Percy main end of month

Wonder if all of them will get refurbished?... do hope they sort the fleet numbers out, so if they brand them, they'll be the same batch of numbers, so for example - all the Quaylink would be 8315-8338.

Looks like the Hybrid Versa has gone, can't see it on the fleet allocation/list.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm #294

(22 Nov 2019, 7:34 pm)ryan.c.lawrence.5 Wonder if the 11/63 plates get the same treatment inside , be good to See a citaro with this interior. Also 6099 is at Deptford if not said in new livery moving to Percy main end of month

Wonder if all of them will get refurbished?... do hope they sort the fleet numbers out, so if they brand them, they'll be the same batch of numbers, so for example - all the Quaylink would be 8315-8338.

Looks like the Hybrid Versa has gone, can't see it on the fleet allocation/list.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

22 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm #295
(22 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm)Michael Wonder if all of them will get refurbished?... do hope they sort the fleet numbers out, so if they brand them, they'll be the same batch of numbers, so for example - all the Quaylink would be 8315-8338.

Don't think all are getting done , does anyone know if 8319 has got USB's or Next stops installed too ?

ryan.c.lawrence.5
22 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm #295

(22 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm)Michael Wonder if all of them will get refurbished?... do hope they sort the fleet numbers out, so if they brand them, they'll be the same batch of numbers, so for example - all the Quaylink would be 8315-8338.

Don't think all are getting done , does anyone know if 8319 has got USB's or Next stops installed too ?

BusLoverMum

22 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm #296
(21 Nov 2019, 11:39 pm)Storx Everyone always mentions pricing and buses for the reason for the reduction in bus use but is it just me who thinks the bus network is just outdated completely.

Most routes have barely changed since the 80's however where people actually want to be have massively and unless you drive some of them are just impossible to get to. Some examples:

Metro Centre - Bar the 6/7 there's absolutely no service from the whole of the West End of Newcastle unless you travel the wrong direction and back on yourself.
Silverlink - No service at all bar the 19/22. 306/308 too far and the A19 roundabout isn't a walk you want to do.
Team Valley - No service bar the Loop
Arnison Centre - No service to the North or West.
Durham Dragonville - No service to North, East or South.
Teeside Park - One bus every 30 minutes, miles from the shops.
Cleveland Retail / Tesco Eston - One bus every 30 minutes.

Yet places like North Shields, Durham City Centre, South Shields, Stockton etc have loads of buses going into them from all over where sadly people don't really want to be nowadays as there's nothing left anymore. It's no wonder bus usage is decreasing.

Hmm. The 50 and 14 serve the arnison centre. The loop is pretty frequent to Team Valley, which is on the way to nowhere. 
BusLoverMum
22 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm #296

(21 Nov 2019, 11:39 pm)Storx Everyone always mentions pricing and buses for the reason for the reduction in bus use but is it just me who thinks the bus network is just outdated completely.

Most routes have barely changed since the 80's however where people actually want to be have massively and unless you drive some of them are just impossible to get to. Some examples:

Metro Centre - Bar the 6/7 there's absolutely no service from the whole of the West End of Newcastle unless you travel the wrong direction and back on yourself.
Silverlink - No service at all bar the 19/22. 306/308 too far and the A19 roundabout isn't a walk you want to do.
Team Valley - No service bar the Loop
Arnison Centre - No service to the North or West.
Durham Dragonville - No service to North, East or South.
Teeside Park - One bus every 30 minutes, miles from the shops.
Cleveland Retail / Tesco Eston - One bus every 30 minutes.

Yet places like North Shields, Durham City Centre, South Shields, Stockton etc have loads of buses going into them from all over where sadly people don't really want to be nowadays as there's nothing left anymore. It's no wonder bus usage is decreasing.

Hmm. The 50 and 14 serve the arnison centre. The loop is pretty frequent to Team Valley, which is on the way to nowhere. 

Storx

22 Nov 2019, 11:36 pm #297

I must admit I missed the 50 at Arnison. The Loop isn't helpful for people who live at places like Chester-Le-Street, Stanley, Consett and it's the closest place to get the big shops such as Hobbycraft and the like.

@streetdeckfan
It was more on the point that the hubs now are just outdated and aren't where people really want to go anymore.

Personally I'd rather see a totally different network to the way they work currently in the sense you have a selection of hubs with express buses running inbetween then with local buses connecting to the hubs so you can get around quickly and stop having places where there's too many bus routes congesting roads. Tyne Bridge / Coast Road for example.

To give an example in part of SE N'land / N. Tyneside. You'd have main hubs at Newcastle, Silverlink, Cramlington and Killingworth. For these you'd have all the local bus routes connecting to them for example buses from Silverlink to N Shields, Whitley, Cullercoats, Cobalt etc. Then from the hub have a dedicated express bus running direct to Newcastle where there's money spent on the route bus lanes, priority routes etc. Almost as a metro but buses instead. It's almost a bus and ride, with park and rides put next to some of them. All trying to promote people to actually use cars plus it's good for the environment not having 4 bus routes following each other down the Coast Road. The same would be at Cramlington (Blyth Expresses + Cramlington), Killingworth (X7/X8, 54 + Killingworth) both with express bus routes to town.

It would work well with the X21 aswell with it being non-stop Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Low Fell -> Angel (P+R) -> Chester-Le-Street -> Durham Hospital -> Durham -> Spennymoor -> Bishop Auckland with all the local buses connecting to it at the hubs above. It makes it more viable for more people whereas it's only really useful if you live near by it as it no doubt wont connect with anything.
Storx
22 Nov 2019, 11:36 pm #297

I must admit I missed the 50 at Arnison. The Loop isn't helpful for people who live at places like Chester-Le-Street, Stanley, Consett and it's the closest place to get the big shops such as Hobbycraft and the like.

@streetdeckfan
It was more on the point that the hubs now are just outdated and aren't where people really want to go anymore.

Personally I'd rather see a totally different network to the way they work currently in the sense you have a selection of hubs with express buses running inbetween then with local buses connecting to the hubs so you can get around quickly and stop having places where there's too many bus routes congesting roads. Tyne Bridge / Coast Road for example.

To give an example in part of SE N'land / N. Tyneside. You'd have main hubs at Newcastle, Silverlink, Cramlington and Killingworth. For these you'd have all the local bus routes connecting to them for example buses from Silverlink to N Shields, Whitley, Cullercoats, Cobalt etc. Then from the hub have a dedicated express bus running direct to Newcastle where there's money spent on the route bus lanes, priority routes etc. Almost as a metro but buses instead. It's almost a bus and ride, with park and rides put next to some of them. All trying to promote people to actually use cars plus it's good for the environment not having 4 bus routes following each other down the Coast Road. The same would be at Cramlington (Blyth Expresses + Cramlington), Killingworth (X7/X8, 54 + Killingworth) both with express bus routes to town.

It would work well with the X21 aswell with it being non-stop Newcastle -> Gateshead -> Low Fell -> Angel (P+R) -> Chester-Le-Street -> Durham Hospital -> Durham -> Spennymoor -> Bishop Auckland with all the local buses connecting to it at the hubs above. It makes it more viable for more people whereas it's only really useful if you live near by it as it no doubt wont connect with anything.

Jimmi

23 Nov 2019, 12:43 am #298
(22 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm)TEN 6083 Managed to catch it today but difficult to track as it shows on bus times but not on the GNE app

Don't know how you had so many issues finding it, tracked fine for me on the GNE app all day
Jimmi
23 Nov 2019, 12:43 am #298

(22 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm)TEN 6083 Managed to catch it today but difficult to track as it shows on bus times but not on the GNE app

Don't know how you had so many issues finding it, tracked fine for me on the GNE app all day

Ryland

23 Nov 2019, 2:19 pm #299
Omicity toon link was in the a174 today presuming heading for eyms Scarborough
Ryland
23 Nov 2019, 2:19 pm #299

Omicity toon link was in the a174 today presuming heading for eyms Scarborough

pbjd

24 Nov 2019, 9:53 am #300
Streetlite 5459 involved in a thermal incident in Swalwell yesterday afternoon.
pbjd
24 Nov 2019, 9:53 am #300

Streetlite 5459 involved in a thermal incident in Swalwell yesterday afternoon.

Pages (21) Previous 114 15 1621 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average