North East Buses
Service Changes - January 2020 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Service Changes - January 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=2445)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - NewcastleOne - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 3:10 pm)Michael Looks like:

309 - Every 20 minutes - Newcastle to Bylth
310 - Every 20 minutes - Newcastle to North Shields
311 - Every 20 minutes - Newcastle to Hadrian Park

Combines for a service between Newcastle Haymarket and Battle Hill Berwick Drive every 6/7 minutes.
Well at least I got the 308 near by.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Dan - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 3:35 pm)NewcastleOne Well at least I got the 308.

If Arriva had any sense, they'd reduce the frequency of their 306/308 to the same equivalent, then they'd stop carrying fresh air along the Coast Road...

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Michael - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 3:36 pm)Dan If Arriva had any sense, they'd reduce the frequency of their 306/308 to the same equivalent, then they'd stop carrying fresh air along the Coast Road...

Hence why they've dropped the 57 in that section too, looks like its gone from a busy section to not as used.... peoples travel patterns are changing.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm)Dan I'd imagine that was a tongue in cheek remark in reference to your previous moans, rather than raising it himself!
I don't know what you're talking about.
He brought up a valid point, one that I had never considered until today!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

(27 Dec 2019, 3:56 pm)Michael Hence why they've dropped the 57 in that section too, looks like its gone from a busy section to not as used.... peoples travel patterns are changing.

I'd say since Stagecoach started operating services between Cobalt & Newcastle that customers are just more thinly spread between all three operators now, such that the main players on the Coast Road (Go North East and Arriva) are taking a bit of a hit, running fuel-hungry double-deck buses around, carrying single figures worth of passengers, outside of peak times.

The withdrawal of the 57, the introduction of the 311, and the revised frequency of the 309/310/311, will see customers on Go North East's services distributed between the three services more evenly. It won't prevent the issues that Arriva are having, and there'll be times where Go North East misses out on discretionary travellers as a result (Arriva will have more of a chance of picking up these people if running a more frequent service), but in my view there probably aren't enough discretionary travellers to warrant Arriva to continue with their existing frequency, and a marginal reduction in frequency on their equivalent routes would be sensible.

It's really not in the best interests of Go North East having buses running round carrying fresh air - and really doesn't do anything to help our issues with congestion and air quality in Newcastle City Centre either!

(27 Dec 2019, 4:02 pm)streetdeckfan I don't know what you're talking about.
He brought up a valid point, one that I had never considered until today!

What do you think will be operating the X21 from the end of January?

Hope there won't be another type of bus with a different set of seats operating the X21!

(27 Dec 2019, 4:06 pm)Dan What do you think will be operating the X21 from the end of January?

Hope there won't be another type of bus with a different set of seats operating the X21!

Was that confirmation that the new StreetDecks will arrive at the end of January?

(27 Dec 2019, 4:03 pm)Dan I'd say since Stagecoach started operating services between Cobalt & Newcastle that customers are just more thinly spread between all three operators now, such that the main players on the Coast Road (Go North East and Arriva) are taking a bit of a hit, running fuel-hungry double-deck buses around, carrying single figures worth of passengers, outside of peak times.

The withdrawal of the 57, the introduction of the 311, and the revised frequency of the 309/310/311, will see customers on Go North East's services distributed between the three services more evenly. It won't prevent the issues that Arriva are having, and there'll be times where Go North East misses out on discretionary travellers as a result (Arriva will have more of a chance of picking up these people if running a more frequent service), but in my view there probably aren't enough discretionary travellers to warrant Arriva to continue with their existing frequency, and a marginal reduction in frequency on their equivalent routes would be sensible.

It's really not in the best interests of Go North East having buses running round carrying fresh air - and really doesn't do anything to help our issues with congestion and air quality in Newcastle City Centre either!

Na it doesn't, but GNE need to protect the routes so only way to, is to reduce frequencies.

(27 Dec 2019, 4:06 pm)Dan What do you think will be operating the X21 from the end of January?

Obviously its going to be Versa's on the X21 from end of January!

(27 Dec 2019, 4:14 pm)Michael Obviously its going to be Versa's on the X21 from end of January!

I wouldn't mind a Versa, as long as it's one of the good ones though!

Or even some E200s (as long as they have windows that don't creak!)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Ds1197 - 27 Dec 2019

Makes sense most people who get on the 57 from the coast road area get off in Newcastle

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Stanleyone - 27 Dec 2019

Looking at the timetable for the 21/X21 I’ve worked out a combined PVR of 28, currently there’s 26 streetdecks at Chester with 2 on order. Having 25 minutes layover in Durham seems a lot.

(27 Dec 2019, 4:14 pm)Michael Na it doesn't, but GNE need to protect the routes so only way to, is to reduce frequencies.

Obviously its going to be Versa's on the X21 from end of January!
Could be a Volvo B9 cascaded from Consett if we receive Streetdecks by that point.

(27 Dec 2019, 4:28 pm)Stanleyone Looking at the timetable for the 21/X21 I’ve worked out a combined PVR of 28, currently there’s 26 streetdecks at Chester with 2 on order. Having 25 minutes layover in Durham seems a lot.

Could be a Volvo B9 cascaded from Consett if we receive Streetdecks by that point.

I was actually being sarcastic about the Versa's Tongue

(27 Dec 2019, 4:13 pm)streetdeckfan Was that confirmation that the new StreetDecks will arrive at the end of January?

Hopefully, i did hear that they would start to arrive by the end of January.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - L469 YVK - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 4:03 pm)Dan I'd say since Stagecoach started operating services between Cobalt & Newcastle that customers are just more thinly spread between all three operators now, such that the main players on the Coast Road (Go North East and Arriva) are taking a bit of a hit, running fuel-hungry double-deck buses around, carrying single figures worth of passengers, outside of peak times.

I agree with this. I think that all in all, GNE will be at an advantage going forward. And the evening timetable looks particularly tasty too and the 310/311 journeys at xx:05 and xx:25 will pose a serious threat to Arriva.

Going forward, I can see the following happening with the 306 / 308.

Service 308
- Replaced by X38 running every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday; 30 minutes on Sundays and 60 minutes during the evenings after 7pm.
- X38 would run non-stop between Billy Mill and Newcastle Haymarket only calling at St Mary's Place.
- PVR would be 6x vehicles Mon-Sat; 2x vehicles Evenings; 4x vehicles Sundays.

Service 306
- Revised to no longer serve Battle Hill Drive.
- On Mondays to Saturdays, service 306 would run every 10 minutes between Newcastle and Billy Mill continuing every 20 minutes to Tynemouth / Whitley Bay.
- During evenings and Sundays, service 306 would run every 15 minutes between Newcastle and Billy Mill continuing every 30 minutes to Tynemouth.
- PVR would be 10x vehicles Mon-Sat; 5x vehicles Evenings and Sundays.

Current PVR vs New PVR
- Mon-Sat: 16 (NEW) vs 18 (Current)
- Evenings: 7 (Unchanged)
- Sundays: 9 (NEW) vs 8 (current)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - L469 YVK - 27 Dec 2019

I take it these are the correct PVR's for the Cobalt & Coast then:

- Mon to Sat: 17x (PVR reduction of 3x incl 57)
- Evenings: 5x (PVR reduction of 1x incl 57, technically 2x but will state 1x with 57 curtailed after 8.30pm)
- Sunday & Public Holiday daytimes: 10x (PVR reduction of 1x incl 57)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - busmanT - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 3:20 pm)streetdeckfan This is exactly what I would have done. I personally think the full 21 is a fairly pointless route, like you said, anybody wanting to travel to Durham will pick the X21, it's considerably faster!

It's also great to see the X21 will be running the full route further into the evening again, it was absolutely ridiculous that the last service to Tindale left Newcastle at 3pm, useless for anyone who is using it to commute!

I’m surprised that the X21 is still going via Woodhouse Close Estate, I thought it might have gone straight along Watling Road to give a faster journey from West/St Helens than Arriva (I.e. the traditional route)

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - Jimmi - 27 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm)busmanT I’m surprised that the X21 is still going via Woodhouse Close Estate, I thought it might have gone straight along Watling Road to give a faster journey from West/St Helens than Arriva (I.e. the traditional route)
Much more potential to pick up in Woodhouse though, don't see a massive amount get on/off along Walting Road apart from the stops the 5/5A serve, few get off at the edge of Henkowle Estate (South End stop) some of which are people from other areas getting on/off for Aldi and Tindle but still would have been more attractive to people living elsewhere wanting to do shopping at Tindle

(27 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm)busmanT I’m surprised that the X21 is still going via Woodhouse Close Estate, I thought it might have gone straight along Watling Road to give a faster journey from West/St Helens than Arriva (I.e. the traditional route)

Going off the times, it looks as though they're following the Arriva 6 route. Certainly on the way down at least as its impossible to get from Proudfoot Drive Shops to Tesco in 4 minutes going via Walker Drive/Greenfields Road, it's a push doing it in 4 minutes anyway especially with the traffic.
On the way up it looks as though they'll be cutting out Lusby Crecsent/Weardale Drive as the journey time between Tesco and Hospital is now only 10 minutes, down from 15 minutes.

I would have preferred it to go down Watling Road, but there are quite a few people who travel between Woodhouse and Bishop Bus Station, and I'd imagine GNE would want their money. Plus, the journey time isn't actually that much longer, and can sometimes be a little bit quicker depending on the traffic

(27 Dec 2019, 11:48 pm)Jimmi Much more potential to pick up in Woodhouse though, don't see a massive amount get on/off along Walting Road apart from the stops the 5/5A serve, few get off at the edge of Henkowle Estate (South End stop) some of which are people from other areas getting on/off for Aldi and Tindle but still would have been more attractive to people living elsewhere wanting to do shopping at Tindle

I sometimes get off the 5 there when I can't be bothered to wait for the half an hour for the 6 to arrive.
There's the X1 that goes along there as well, and I do see the odd person getting off there, but far less than what get picked up in Woodhouse.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - busmanT - 28 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 11:49 pm)streetdeckfan Going off the times, it looks as though they're following the Arriva 6 route. Certainly on the way down at least as its impossible to get from Proudfoot Drive Shops to Tesco in 4 minutes going via Walker Drive/Greenfields Road, it's a push doing it in 4 minutes anyway especially with the traffic.
On the way up it looks as though they'll be cutting out Lusby Crecsent/Weardale Drive as the journey time between Tesco and Hospital is now only 10 minutes, down from 15 minutes.

I would have preferred it to go down Watling Road, but there are quite a few people who travel between Woodhouse and Bishop Bus Station, and I'd imagine GNE would want their money. Plus, the journey time isn't actually that much longer, and can sometimes be a little bit quicker depending on the traffic

I sometimes get off the 5 there when I can't be bothered to wait for the half an hour for the 6 to arrive.
There's the X1 that goes along there as well, and I do see the odd person getting off there, but far less than what get picked up in Woodhouse.
But it would offer something different and faster than Arriva, rather than simply copying them!!
and it might attract more passengers from West and St Helens through being faster (plus the added benefit of not having to go around Woodhouse Close).
The 9 minutes allowed from Eden Garage to Tesco looks a little excessive, especially when compared to the 4 minutes thence to Taylor Square - I can see some late running from Bishop to Newcastle.

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - streetdeckfan - 28 Dec 2019

(28 Dec 2019, 1:18 pm)busmanT But it would offer something different and faster than Arriva, rather than simply copying them!!
and it might attract more passengers from West and St Helens through being faster (plus the added benefit of not having to go around Woodhouse Close).
The 9 minutes allowed from Eden Garage to Tesco looks a little excessive, especially when compared to the 4 minutes thence to Taylor Square - I can see some late running from Bishop to Newcastle.

From what I was told when the X21 was extended, the one part of the 18 route that made money was Walker Drive (probably because the 18 was the only service that went that way), but I have noticed since changing to the X21 it's been a lot busier on Proudfoot Drive than it used to be.

Like I said though, it's not actually that much difference in going via Woodhouse or Watling Road, maybe a minute for two, at a push, and they're more likely to pick up passengers in Woodhouse

I think the extra time from Eden to Tesco is to allow for traffic during busier times (which is basically any time after 2pm these days).
I can almost guarantee that pretty much all afternoon northbound services will run late, the traffic down here is an absolute joke, on many occasions it's taken a good 5 minutes for the X21 to get from Tesco to Watling Road Club, a distance of around 300m!

On another note, I've just looked at the timetable again and it looks it'll be going via Neville's Cross at all times now, missing out the university entirely

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2 - BusLoverMum - 28 Dec 2019

(27 Dec 2019, 2:55 pm)JP6004 Seems like 4 reduced to 12mins on a Saturday.
21 timetable seems strange....same frequency as now but only 2 services continuing to Durham, rest terminating at chester.
Still think they should of had 21 every 15mins to Durham and X21 every 15mins and removed the chester shorts
Nah. 21 busiest Newcastle-Birtley.