North East Buses
Next Stop Announcement Systems - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Next Stop Announcement Systems (/showthread.php?tid=3241)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Aaron21 - 03 Aug 2022

(03 Aug 2022, 4:21 pm)ne14ne1 Why is it nice, out of interest?
Sarcasm. It's just annoying the fact it now does it for Askew Road. Give it time till all X Lines buses stop at Wellington Street. God knows why they stop at Askew Road for

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 03 Aug 2022

(03 Aug 2022, 3:45 pm)ne14ne1

Hearing the announcements that have a place name as both the route name and the destination sound unnecessarily wordy. At first I was like wait WTF, and had to play them back to work out what had been said.

Three examples:

- This is the East Gateshead Orbit Fifty One service to Gateshead.

- This is the Peterlee Purples Sixty Two service to Peterlee.

- This is the East Durham Explorer Sixty Five service to Durham. 

This one is almost a bloody tongue-twister:

- This is the CityRider Fifty Six service to Sunderland.

Whoever thought a three word brand name plus two or three digit route number would be referred to by passengers or good to constantly repeat should give their head a shake.
Just a few examples:
- East Gateshead Rider Fifty Eight.
- Cobalt and Coast Three One One.
- Peterlee Purples Two One-O
- Red Kite Ranger Forty Seven-A.

Make bus travel simple for people, please!

(03 Aug 2022, 4:22 pm)Aaron21 Sarcasm. It's just annoying the fact it now does it for Askew Road. Give it time till all X Lines buses stop at Wellington Street. God knows why they stop at Askew Road for

Ah, fair enough.  Smile

Wouldn’t be surprised, although I get why they set down at Askew Rd, handy for people wanting Gateshead Quays, …but then again those passengers then have to climb back up to the Interchange for the return leg.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Aaron21 - 03 Aug 2022

(03 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm)ne14ne1 Hearing the announcements that have a place name as both the route name and the destination sound unnecessarily wordy. At first I was like wait WTF, and had to play them back to work out what had been said.

Three examples:

- This is the East Gateshead Orbit Fifty One service to Gateshead.

- This is the Peterlee Purples Sixty Two service to Peterlee.

- This is the East Durham Explorer Sixty Five service to Durham. 

This one is almost a bloody tongue-twister:

- This is the CityRider Fifty Six service to Sunderland.

Whoever thought a three word brand name plus two or three digit route number would be referred to by passengers or good to constantly repeat should give their head a shake.
Just a few examples:
- East Gateshead Rider Fifty Eight.
- Cobalt and Coast Three One One.
- Peterlee Purples Two One-O
- Red Kite Ranger Forty Seven-A.

Make bus travel simple for people, please!

Ah, fair enough.  Smile

Wouldn’t be surprised, although I get why they set down at Askew Rd, handy for people wanting Gateshead Quays, …but then again those passengers then have to climb back up to the Interchange for the return leg.
That bloody three one one is so annoying. Just say three eleven. Same is done on the 210..it's two one o yet its three ten

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 03 Aug 2022

(03 Aug 2022, 4:43 pm)Aaron21 That bloody three one one is so annoying. Just say three eleven. Same is done on the 210..it's two one o yet its three ten

I noticed that too

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Retro Nero - 07 Aug 2022

Well it's going into the third week of route changes, let's hope it's not too long before the next stop announcements are sorted, after all it does state on various social media and advertising...."Never miss your stop, we have next stop announcements" and also some vehicles have "Talking Bus" on the vinyl's

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 9:02 am)Retro Nero Well it's going into the third week of route changes, let's hope it's not too long before the next stop announcements are sorted, after all it does state on various social media and advertising...."Never miss your stop, we have next stop announcements" and also some vehicles have "Talking Bus" on the vinyl's

Thats terrible. They should’ve updated them the night before/morning of the changes.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - streetdeckfan - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 2:04 pm)ne14ne1 Thats terrible. They should’ve updated them the night before/morning of the changes.

When they rebranded the X21 to X-Lines, I think we were without NSAs for many months. I certainly remember complaining about it on here for quite a while!

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Dan - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 2:04 pm)ne14ne1 Thats terrible. They should’ve updated them the night before/morning of the changes.

Terrible it may be, but there is very clearly a resource issue at Go North East.

This happens every time there are service changes - notable this time that there are several vacant positions in the commercial team at Go North East at the moment being advertised on social media.

It's by no means every route, and just a small handful which are still disabled. Further routes are enabled again on a daily basis.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Andreos1 - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 2:29 pm)Dan Terrible it may be, but there is very clearly a resource issue at Go North East.

This happens every time there are service changes - notable this time that there are several vacant positions in the commercial team at Go North East at the moment being advertised on social media.

It's by no means every route, and just a small handful which are still disabled. Further routes are enabled again on a daily basis.
Are those passengers who are relying on the system interested or bothered about the staffing issues? Or do they want a system which works for them?

We are told time and time again about how useful and important this NSA system is. Isn't it a priority? Isn't it something that can be done prior to the changes, so it is ready to roll out in a proactive manner?

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - OrangeArrow49 - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 2:29 pm)Dan Terrible it may be, but there is very clearly a resource issue at Go North East.

For some reason the 74 never has NSAs even when an NSA-enabled vehicle is allocated.

(07 Aug 2022, 2:57 pm)Andreos1 Are those passengers who are relying on the system interested or bothered about the staffing issues? Or do they want a system which works for them?

We are told time and time again about how useful and important this NSA system is. Isn't it a priority? Isn't it something that can be done prior to the changes, so it is ready to roll out in a proactive manner?

I assume they want a system which works.

I assume Go North East do too - presumably this is why the company is advertising to fill vacant positions in the commercial team at the moment?

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - mb134 - 07 Aug 2022

No lack of resource to get the Microbus announcement sorted out though was there... Clear where the priorities lie with the current regime.

(07 Aug 2022, 3:16 pm)mb134  No lack of resource to get the Microbus announcement sorted out though was there... Clear where the priorities lie with the current regime.

I think this is a bit of a stretch and it made me chuckle when this comment was first made two weeks ago.

I assume there's a bit of a difference in how long it takes to change one audio file in a media folder, than programming routes which have been revised. Given the Microbus partnership has been ongoing for some time now, I assume that this was actually done quite some time ago and only when the update went in to temporarily disable some routes from 24 July did this actually go live.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - mb134 - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 3:19 pm)Dan I think this is a bit of a stretch and it made me chuckle when this comment was first made two weeks ago.

I assume there's a bit of a difference in how long it takes to change one audio file in a media folder, than programming routes which have been revised. Given the Microbus partnership has been ongoing for some time now, I assume that this was actually done quite some time ago and only when the update went in to temporarily disable some routes from 24 July did this actually go live.

Nevertheless, it's time and effort that could have gone into - let's be honest - genuinely meaningful NSA changes ahead of the network change on 24th July. Doesn't give the best impression of where priorities lie, is my point.

(07 Aug 2022, 3:24 pm)mb134 Nevertheless, it's time and effort that could have gone into - let's be honest - genuinely meaningful NSA changes ahead of the network change on 24th July. Doesn't give the best impression of where priorities lie, is my point.

I get the point you're trying to make, but the time and effort simply isn't comparable - c.1 minute versus a lot longer to program a route change.

Thankfully it only seems to be members of this forum drawing a comparison between the two - in the usual way that people on this forum blow everything out of proportion.

(07 Aug 2022, 3:14 pm)Dan I assume they want a system which works.

I assume Go North East do too - presumably this is why the company is advertising to fill vacant positions in the commercial team at the moment?
So to answer my own questions, it's safe to assume it isn't a priority. Isn't something that can be done prior to the changes and it isn't possible to roll out in a proactive manner.
Even though NSA's for pubs can. 

For a system which is so important, it's quite striking it's being left until well after the event.
Hopefully it doesn't damage passenger confidence any more!

(07 Aug 2022, 3:46 pm)Andreos1 So to answer my own questions, it's safe to assume it isn't a priority. Isn't something that can be done prior to the changes and it isn't possible to roll out in a proactive manner.
Even though NSA's for pubs can. 

For a system which is so important, it's quite striking it's being left until well after the event.
Hopefully it doesn't damage passenger confidence any more!

Not like you to sensationalise something, Andreos! Smile

(07 Aug 2022, 3:48 pm)Dan Not like you to sensationalise something, Andreos! Smile
Well we've all got a reputation to maintain

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Ambassador - 07 Aug 2022

(07 Aug 2022, 3:30 pm)Dan I get the point you're trying to make, but the time and effort simply isn't comparable - c.1 minute versus a lot longer to program a route change.

Thankfully it only seems to be members of this forum drawing a comparison between the two - in the usual way that people on this forum blow everything out of proportion.
It’s a good job passengers are flocking back to the profitable GNE and it’s not just doom monger forum members blowing it all out of proportion. 

On a serious note…it’s how it looks and that’s what GNE are just awful at and a little bit arrogant at of late. The vast majority of us are passengers and our feedback is based on regular experience and certainly in my role, the experience of over 1500 colleagues who use public transport but it’s far too easy to box us off and pretend we’re just irritable enthusiasts

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 10 Aug 2022

Is QuayCity one of the routes to not have NSAs now?