North East Buses
Next Stop Announcement Systems - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Next Stop Announcement Systems (/showthread.php?tid=3241)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - omnicity4659 - 08 Mar 2022

(08 Mar 2022, 4:27 pm)Adrian Surely you've been on a bus route that you're not familiar with, and wondered how many stops until you reach the destination? I personally think it's a good thing to have, as well as a preview of what the next couple of stops are.

That only helps those who are travelling to the end of the route though, personally I'd find the time left until the stop more helpful than the number of stops.

Perhaps a "time until" feature could cycle through the upcoming major destinations so it helps the majority of passengers, something like;
"Low Fell in 5 minutes" changing to
"Gateshead in 10 minutes", "Newcastle in 20 minutes" etc etc

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Dan - 08 Mar 2022

(08 Mar 2022, 3:11 pm)streetdeckfan Overall, I like it but there's one thing that irritated me straight away, why is the upcoming stop bigger than the next stop?
Surely the next stop is more important than the one after?

This has been sorted in an update that goes live tomorrow - it was just some old coding in the template where the '-' character resulted in the remaining bit of the line dropping onto a second line (hence making it larger in the old template). It's now coded so that it'll be as large as possible on one line.

(08 Mar 2022, 5:49 pm)omnicity4659 That only helps those who are travelling to the end of the route though, personally I'd find the time left until the stop more helpful than the number of stops.

Perhaps a "time until" feature could cycle through the upcoming major destinations so it helps the majority of passengers, something like;

That is planned (similar to Lothian Buses) but requires integration between the real time information system and Hanover. This is in progress for a future update, but these things take time.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Rob44 - 08 Mar 2022

(08 Mar 2022, 4:27 pm)Adrian Surely you've been on a bus route that you're not familiar with, and wondered how many stops until you reach the destination? I personally think it's a good thing to have, as well as a preview of what the next couple of stops 
Nope

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 09 Mar 2022

I’m on rattlelite 5456 and it announces the service number and destination while the doors are open, and again when the doors close. Rather annoying.
The Angels used to do this years ago.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Train8261 - 09 Mar 2022

(09 Mar 2022, 9:10 am)ne14ne1 I’m on rattlelite 5456 and it announces the service number and destination while the doors are open, and again when the doors close. Rather annoying.
QuayCity Versa NL63 YAH is similar. 5382 where it will keep repeating the same announcement no matter what service its on at its starting point on the route. 

Once it kept repeating this is the 49 service to Gateshead while at Gateshead Interchange. It gets annoying to some people but that trip had people laughing and even the driver laughing at Gateshead Interchange

Did it again when I caught it on the Q3 to Newcastle. Repeat this is the QuayCity Q3 service to Great Park 3 times at Wallsend

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Drifter60 - 09 Mar 2022

(08 Mar 2022, 4:27 pm)Adrian Surely you've been on a bus route that you're not familiar with, and wondered how many stops until you reach the destination? I personally think it's a good thing to have, as well as a preview of what the next couple of stops are.

I must admit, whilst I think it’s trying to be helpful, I’m not sure how many stops is really that helpful. Bus stops aren’t equally timed out so it’s not indication of how long you’ve got left on the bus and for instance heading into Newcastle it could be “2 stops til Eldon Square” but if there’s heavy traffic that’s still a fair amount of time on a bus still.

Showing the next few stops or next calling point on the timetable is a good feature, however.

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Ambassador - 09 Mar 2022

(09 Mar 2022, 9:10 am)ne14ne1 I’m on rattlelite 5456 and it announces the service number and destination while the doors are open, and again when the doors close. Rather annoying.
Noise cancelling on the airpods - there's only so much of Hignett's voice a man can take (no not you Clifton)

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - streetdeckfan - 09 Mar 2022

(09 Mar 2022, 2:13 pm)Ambassador Noise cancelling on the airpods - there's only so much of Hignett's voice a man can take (no not you Clifton)
I genuinely don't even hear her anymore, 70+ stops on the X21, twice a day for years would do that.

I often think it's not working, but then as soon as I start thinking about it, I hear it again.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - F114TML - 10 Mar 2022

(08 Mar 2022, 5:49 pm)omnicity4659 Perhaps a "time until" feature could cycle through the upcoming major destinations so it helps the majority of passengers, something like;
Something like that does seem to have been implemented, at least on the 56, and it did update in real time after a diversion near Hylton Castle (naff photo but I hope you get the jist).
[Image: unknown.png]
However I was sat right in front of it and could barely read the bit that said "Sunderland Interchange" (I'm going to make the assumption Dan's already aware of this).

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 23 Mar 2022

Does route 33A have announcements programmed, or did this Yutong just have issues?

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Train8261 - 23 Mar 2022

(23 Mar 2022, 12:15 pm)ne14ne1 Does route 33A have announcements programmed, or did this Yutong just have issues?
Yea 33A has NSA programmed in. I remember it due to getting 5498 to Newcastle once. The Voltra NSA doesn't work half of the time. Even on the 53/54

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - streetdeckfan - 23 Mar 2022

(23 Mar 2022, 12:15 pm)ne14ne1 Does route 33A have announcements programmed, or did this Yutong just have issues?
I believe all routes are programmed, regardless of whether they are normally allocated a bus with NSA or not

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 23 Mar 2022

(23 Mar 2022, 1:16 pm)Train8261 Yea 33A has NSA programmed in. I remember it due to getting 5498 to Newcastle once. The Voltra NSA doesn't work half of the time. Even on the 53/54

Thought I’d just been unlucky and never had fully working NSAs on 53/54. I’ve never once heard them announce their number and destination.

(23 Mar 2022, 5:46 pm)ne14ne1 Thought I’d just been unlucky and never had fully working NSAs on 53/54. I’ve never once heard them announce their number and destination.
Since they came into service. I've been on 3 of them where the NSA work. Rest just don't work

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - streetdeckfan - 23 Mar 2022

(23 Mar 2022, 6:50 pm)Train8261 Since they came into service. I've been on 3 of them where the NSA work. Rest just don't work
Don't they use a different system compared to the rest of the fleet? Mobitec Vs Hanover

(23 Mar 2022, 7:56 pm)streetdeckfan Don't they use a different system compared to the rest of the fleet? Mobitec Vs Hanover

Not to sure tbh

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 25 Apr 2022

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - Ambassador - 25 Apr 2022

Had the joy of a double whammy of non working NSA last week on the 21/X39, made the journey far more pleasant. I even took the AirPods off noise cancellation mode.

Makes me appreciate how intrusive the nsa system can be, particularly the…this is the Xxxx service to xxx (Yea I know Emma, I just got on the bloody thing)

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - streetdeckfan - 26 Apr 2022

(25 Apr 2022, 10:00 pm)Ambassador Had the joy of a double whammy of non working NSA last week on the 21/X39, made the journey far more pleasant. I even took the AirPods off noise cancellation mode.

Makes me appreciate how intrusive the nsa system can be, particularly the…this is the Xxxx service to xxx (Yea I know Emma, I just got on the bloody thing)

To be fair, that's saved me a couple times when I haven't been paying attention at Durham and got on the X21 to Newcastle instead of Bishop

RE: Next Stop Announcement Systems - ne14ne1 - 26 Apr 2022

(25 Apr 2022, 10:00 pm)Ambassador Had the joy of a double whammy of non working NSA last week on the 21/X39, made the journey far more pleasant. I even took the AirPods off noise cancellation mode.

You wouldn’t be so sure if blind or partially sighted though.

As I’ve said before the destination/service number announcement would be far less intrusive if it was simply ‘21, to, Newcastle’, London-style, but I was shot down and told “well this isn’t London” / “that’s too abrupt” / “customers haven’t raised an issue with the announcements, only you”, and so we have to listen to ‘This is the Angel 21 service to Newcastle’ every 5 mins.