North East Buses
Newcastle congestion and delays - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Newcastle congestion and delays (/showthread.php?tid=3419)

Pages: 1 2

Newcastle congestion and delays - Clifton Hignett III - 29 May 2021

All this palava about GCT missing out bus stops.

I've just witnessed the X45 doing the same, turning around at Central Station thus missing out Newgate Street and Eldon Square.

What about those passengers wishing to board at Wilko's?

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - 6049 - 29 May 2021

(29 May 2021, 12:55 pm)Clifton Hignett III All this palava about GCT missing out bus stops.

I've just witnessed the X45 doing the same, turning around at Central Station thus missing out Newgate Street and Eldon Square.

Needs must when ordered by supervisors. At least those who are able to check Facebook and Twitter are aware of the issues.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 29 May 2021

(29 May 2021, 12:55 pm)Clifton Hignett III All this palava about GCT missing out bus stops.

Could be worse could be two 6's from Stanley to Sunniside/Newcastle cancelled in a row now (13.30 and 14.30).  Not even an apology on their Twitter message neither. Very poor imo, hourly services should be prioritised even if it means dropping off another service to run it. Sure people will be happy waiting 2 hours for a bus.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - GNE6312 - 29 May 2021

The 12 today had to miss out Newcastle business park as it was 15 minutes late but in the drivers defense he was running directly infribt of a 12A and checked If anyone wanted off first

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - xpm - 29 May 2021

(29 May 2021, 12:55 pm)Clifton Hignett III All this palava about GCT missing out bus stops.

Actually at one point today services were running out out from Eldon square via the boulevard and coming back in via central station, which is probably what you saw, stops were still served going into Newcastle, only Wilkos was missed on the way out.  Better than lines of buses waiting 20-30 mins to get to central.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Adrian - 29 May 2021

(29 May 2021, 7:52 pm)xpm Actually at one point today services were running out out from Eldon square via the boulevard and coming back in via central station, which is probably what you saw, stops were still served going into Newcastle, only Wilkos was missed on the way out.  Better than lines of buses waiting 20-30 mins to get to central.

What were the issues in and out of Newcastle today, out of interest? Town seemed busy in terms of footfall, but traffic didn't seem too bad.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Micheal Aaron - 29 May 2021

(29 May 2021, 8:38 pm)Adrian What were the issues in and out of Newcastle today, out of interest? Town seemed busy in terms of footfall, but traffic didn't seem too bad.
Not sure. Bus org showed quite a few buses near Central. Was there any protests or something like that

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Rapidsnap - 29 May 2021

Traffic was bad to the East of Central station. Central Motorway was however quiet. No doubt prob a set of traffic lights going out of sequence and messing up the whole flow of traffic.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Rob44 - 30 May 2021

i was on ( a very full) 21 on Saturday and at Gateshead civic centre it caught up to a 56 with the destination of " Gateshead". When we reached the metro the passengers off the 56 decanted onto the 21 which even though a few alighted was still really busy. It then looked like the it went around the circle and was head back to the 56 to the Sunderland stand.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Micheal Aaron - 30 May 2021

(30 May 2021, 7:06 am)Rob44 i was on ( a very full) 21 on Saturday and at Gateshead civic centre it caught up to a 56 with the destination  of " Gateshead".  When we reached the metro the passengers off the 56 decanted onto the 21 which even though a few alighted was still really busy. It then looked like the  it went around the circle and was head back to the 56 to the  Sunderland stand.
Maybe it was heavy delay and they thought to run it of at Gateshead instead of continuing the journey. Tbh there is plenty buses at Gateshead during the day so more than enough buses to get into town

(30 May 2021, 8:13 am)Micheal Aaron Maybe it was heavy delay and they thought to run it of at Gateshead instead of continuing the journey. Tbh there is plenty buses at Gateshead during the day so more than enough buses to get into town

maybe it was running late but pilling passengers from one bus onto another already full bus????  Plus I've waited at that bus stop for 20 minutes plus for a bus to  town and id also be annoyed that the 21 drop me of miles away from where the 56 does in town

It's not that far of a walk. Plus u have the 58, 27, 57 all stopping at Market place. Plus people just see the first bus to Newcastle. They don't care how far it is. If a bus is running really really late to the point its Arrived at a stop (like Gateshead) where its due on the way back. It would be an easy solution to run it of and turn around so people don't miss a bus or have to wait 20 to 30 minute for the next one

what if your old and walk with a stick and wanted the Grainger market?? that a canny walk!

I know what you mean about the bus running late but why should passenger of the bus which is support to be going to Newcastle have to be removed from one service onto another one just because its running late? maybe if the x21 is running later to Newcastle from Ashington arriva should kick them off at regent centre and tell them to get on the 46 which is running behind... at least they both go to the same destination??

No that's not the point I'm making for all we know people on that 56 we're told to get the closest bus to town. Instead of being left behind

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 30 May 2021

(30 May 2021, 8:13 am)Micheal Aaron Maybe it was heavy delay and they thought to run it of at Gateshead instead of continuing the journey. Tbh there is plenty buses at Gateshead during the day so more than enough buses to get into town

It's a horrid system and I know people will disagree because they like pointless branding but it's why branding doesn't work. 

Arriva generally don't have this problem as they just regulate everything at Jesmond, Blyth and Durham. Its why people never get kicked off at Regent Centre as someone else mentioned. 

Instead if everything was just the same brand, if the 58 came into Newcastle 15 minutes late but the 57 was on time (with its 10 minute layover). You sent the 58 out on the 57 and by the time the 58 comes in it's only 5 minutes late for the 57 and can catch back up. *Numbers made up as an example. Or even better you have a bus on standby to slot in to take over later buses. Believe that's the case at both Blyth and Jesmond most the time.

It's a great system and Arriva don't get credit for it usually just people moaning because the X12 bus is on the 5 or whatever.

(30 May 2021, 11:48 am)Micheal Aaron No that's not the point I'm making for all we know people on that 56 we're told to get the closest bus to town. Instead of being left behind

but they get on the 56 expecting it to got to Newcastle pilgrim street and market street. On this occasion it went to Gateshead and they had to be shunted onto the 21 which goes to  john Dobson street , st Marys place and Eldon square

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - V514DFT - 30 May 2021

(30 May 2021, 12:18 pm)Storx It's a horrid system and I know people will disagree because they like pointless branding but it's why branding doesn't work. 

Arriva generally don't have this problem as they just regulate everything at Jesmond, Blyth and Durham. Its why people never get kicked off at Regent Centre as someone else mentioned. 

Instead if everything was just the same brand, if the 58 came into Newcastle 15 minutes late but the 57 was on time (with its 10 minute layover). You sent the 58 out on the 57 and by the time the 58 comes in it's only 5 minutes late for the 57 and can catch back up. *Numbers made up as an example. Or even better you have a bus on standby to slot in to take over later buses. Believe that's the case at both Blyth and Jesmond most the time.

It's a great system and Arriva don't get credit for it usually just people moaning because the X12 bus is on the 5 or whatever.
I see what your saying,and i agree, going back a while here,but ive witnessed it,I was at Haymarket Bus Station one day,and a bus was pulled from the 43 to take over from a 52 that was pretty much a full bus late (30 mins) so that bus was then effectively on time,but the 43 didnt lose out as another bus slot in its place

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - Storx - 30 May 2021

(30 May 2021, 1:23 pm)V514DFT I see what your saying,and i agree, going back a while here,but ive witnessed it,I was at Haymarket Bus Station one day,and a bus was pulled from the 43 to take over from a 52 that was pretty much a full bus late (30 mins) so that bus was then effectively on time,but the 43 didnt lose out as another bus slot in its place

It happens all the time at Haymarket like. There's usually a bloke with a clipboard blocking buses coming in at the entrance and directing them to what stand to go into and telling them what they're running. Happens in Blyth aswell it's why usually by the end of day everything is all over the place.

RE: Gateshead Central Taxis - V514DFT - 30 May 2021

(30 May 2021, 1:57 pm)Storx It happens all the time at Haymarket like. There's usually a bloke with a clipboard blocking buses coming in at the entrance and directing them to what stand to go into and telling them what they're running. Happens in Blyth aswell it's why usually by the end of day everything is all over the place.
Bald bloke by any chance?,see him all the time,i dont know if its just me or do both bus stations seem to struggle with amount of services going into them,obviously not so much during covid,but beforehand

RE: Newcastle congestion and delays - GNE6312 - 30 May 2021

Tbh think arriva's way if dealing with delay is the best but with GNE the depots aren't as close to bus stations/high streets which actually have buses terminating at except Consett not to mention Riverside and PM do driver switchover mid route rather than the terminus.