North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 4:03 pm)Adrian When I've been out and about today (and to be honest, the whole of this week), its more noticeable than ever just how sick of these disruptions the public are getting.

I've seen multiple instances of drivers getting it in the neck from irate customers, both on the bus and whilst they're waiting to take a bus on (e.g. at Chester front street). Whilst I think its bang out of order the way some customers talk to drivers, I think its sadly becoming inevitable due to the amount of disruption.

There's also more and more people complaining about it in conversation, e.g. when I'm on board or waiting for a bus. A 56 I used earlier, apparently the one prior didnt turn up, the one after was cancelled, and the one we boarded was being cut short at Gateshead. Is this the active regulation that Martijn Gilbert referenced on twitter?

I wonder just how much these operators, and I know its not just GNE, are shooting themselves in the foot right now. As I've said before, why would anyone switch to bus, unless you like ending up pissed off? 

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Punters are essentially being given the choice between a bus that may or may not get them where they need to be OR paying through the nose at the fuel pump.

This is the ideal time to win passengers back and convince others, that bus (for all its faults), is the way to go.
There isn't going to be a better opportunity to put right all the damage caused by Covid/the government/lack of priority measures/insert other excuse here.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 Jun 2022

The cancellations for the 25/X21/28/28A are quite bad for Sunday

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jimmi - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 4:03 pm)Adrian When I've been out and about today (and to be honest, the whole of this week), its more noticeable than ever just how sick of these disruptions the public are getting.

I've seen multiple instances of drivers getting it in the neck from irate customers, both on the bus and whilst they're waiting to take a bus on (e.g. at Chester front street). Whilst I think its bang out of order the way some customers talk to drivers, I think its sadly becoming inevitable due to the amount of disruption.

There's also more and more people complaining about it in conversation, e.g. when I'm on board or waiting for a bus. A 56 I used earlier, apparently the one prior didnt turn up, the one after was cancelled, and the one we boarded was being cut short at Gateshead. Is this the active regulation that Martijn Gilbert referenced on twitter?

I wonder just how much these operators, and I know its not just GNE, are shooting themselves in the foot right now. As I've said before, why would anyone switch to bus, unless you like ending up pissed off?

It's a terrible situation, it's little wonder there's shortages, I wouldn't want to be paid peanuts to have to have complaints and gripes from passengers and I cannot say I blame the passengers either with how much of a joke some of the services have been of late, after my debacle with the 25 not running and instead being made to get an 82 and two 21's to reach my destination of Eldon Square, well near it! can imagine how f'd off I was by the time we made it to our destination, literally as we pulled into Gateshead Interchange on the 21 and the NSA played "this bus will terminate at the next stop" I just went "you are taking the piss?!" Didn't get much happier when we were made to get off at a stop that wasn't Eldon Square so the bus could f**k off, sorry, "active regulation" which is what they want us to say.

One thing I hate with GNE lately is how they claim they don't have the resources to do their own service work yet they sharp managed to pull out the resources out to cover an emergency rail replacement from Newcastle to Edinburgh the other evening, can only see things getting worse for that especially on upcoming Saturdays with Metro Replacements and Kynryn to provide resources for.

One thing I've gotta say is, it doesn't matter what the excuse is for disruptions, just one bad experience is enough to lose passengers, I've had months of cancellations from Arriva and now GNE services which I also tend to use are suffering from much the same fate (argubly worse from the latter now but was certainly the case from Arriva more in previous months)

One thing I will give Arriva and Stagecoach is they've at least reduced some frequencies to attempt to deal with the resource issues, granted there's still problems there whereas GNE seem to be sticking their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la la la la" and act like everything's fine.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 25 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 8:39 pm)Jimmi It's a terrible situation, it's little wonder there's shortages, I wouldn't want to be paid peanuts to have to have complaints and gripes from passengers and I cannot say I blame the passengers either with how much of a joke some of the services have been of late, after my debacle with the 25 not running and instead being made to get an 82 and two 21's to reach my destination of Eldon Square, well near it! can imagine how f'd off I was by the time we made it to our destination, literally as we pulled into Gateshead Interchange on the 21 and the NSA played "this bus will terminate at the next stop" I just went "you are taking the piss?!" Didn't get much happier when we were made to get off at a stop that wasn't Eldon Square so the bus could f**k off, sorry, "active regulation" which is what they want us to say.

One thing I hate with GNE lately is how they claim they don't have the resources to do their own service work yet they sharp managed to pull out the resources out to cover an emergency rail replacement from Newcastle to Edinburgh the other evening, can only see things getting worse for that especially on upcoming Saturdays with Metro Replacements and Kynryn to provide resources for. 

One thing I've gotta say is, it doesn't matter what the excuse is for disruptions, just one bad experience is enough to lose passengers, I've had months of cancellations from Arriva and now GNE services which I also tend to use are suffering from much the same fate (argubly worse from the latter now but was certainly the case from Arriva more in previous months)

One thing I will give Arriva and Stagecoach is they've at least reduced some frequencies to attempt to deal with the resource issues, granted there's still problems there whereas GNE seem to be sticking their fingers in their ears and going "la la la la la la la la" and act like everything's fine.
Quick financial wins over long term passenger sustainability imo.
There's absolutely no way they're demonstrating they have the ability to do both the commercial money makers and every day run of the mill stuff.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 Jun 2022

Wonder if GNE will get any help Aline/Stanley Travel/L&G to cover their services.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 26 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 8:39 pm)Jimmi One thing I hate with GNE lately is how they claim they don't have the resources to do their own service work yet they sharp managed to pull out the resources out to cover an emergency rail replacement from Newcastle to Edinburgh the other evening, can only see things getting worse for that especially on upcoming Saturdays with Metro Replacements and Kynryn to provide resources for.

You’re making the assumption the two drivers who went up to Edinburgh would have been willing or would have been equipped to undertake local service work.

What if the two drivers were office-based and didn’t have their driver bags (as they weren’t expecting to give up their evenings to stay at work following their day in the office)? They couldn’t have done local service work but were willing to stop back for 5-6 hours to do something that was as simple as driving a bus with no cash fares to deal with that they weren’t equipped to deal with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Bazza - 26 Jun 2022

Are these disruptions caused solely by driver shortages? Or is it a lack of working buses?

Across the three main operators I would say probably a combination of the two, but mainly the lack of drivers.

This has been a problem for some time now, more than enough time to to solve it if it was an attractive job to go into as recruitment and retention wouldn’t be a problem.

The operators need to return to basics. And if it means working together to provide services that get people from a to b when they want to travel then that is what they should do.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 26 Jun 2022

well last night the fun police was out with her mates from work in the afternoon. She went for the 28a at 18.22 but thinks she missed it. then she went for the 19.35 28b and this was cancelled. NEXTN ONE AT 2105. ALOMOST 3 hours between buses!!!. Luckily ( or unluckily ) i finished work at 745 so went to get her from Gateshead. When she got in the car she said there were half a dozen customers waiting for the bus and not one of them knew it was cancelled. SHOCKING!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 26 Jun 2022

(26 Jun 2022, 1:46 am)Bazza Are these disruptions caused solely by driver shortages? Or is it a lack of working buses?

Across the three main operators I would say probably a combination of the two, but mainly the lack of drivers. 

This has been a problem for some time now, more than enough time to to solve it if it was an attractive job to go into as recruitment and retention wouldn’t be a problem.

The operators need to return to basics.  And if it means working together to provide services that get people from a to b when they want to travel then that is what they should do.

Lack of drivers, there's no other way of really putting it, other than Arriva Redcar, which had bus shortages (there's no driver shortages down there as far as I'm aware).

GNE have ample school buses doing nothing on a weekend they could use.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - LVK 404L - 26 Jun 2022

(25 Jun 2022, 7:31 pm)Unber43 The cancellations for the 25/X21/28/28A are quite bad for Sunday

Even more so confusing when the 28A does not run on a Sunday 
Granted cancellations are listed for 28B but the phantom cancelled journeys on 28A make it appear to be increased cancellations

Resulting in a bus at 1710 from Newcastle to Kibblesworth then nothing for just shy of 4 hours until 2105.

(Mind this could be a tester for end of July when there is no Sunday service, so a practice run really)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - S813 FVK - 26 Jun 2022

(26 Jun 2022, 9:02 am)ifm001 Even more so confusing when the 28A does not run on a Sunday 
Granted cancellations are listed for 28B but the phantom cancelled journeys on 28A make it appear to be increased cancellations

Resulting in a bus at 1710 from Newcastle to Kibblesworth then nothing for just shy of 4 hours until 2105.

(Mind this could be a tester for end of July when there is no Sunday service, so a practice run really)
The press release has now been updated to say that the current 28/28B set-up on Sundays is to continue.

(26 Jun 2022, 9:02 am)ifm001 Even more so confusing when the 28A does not run on a Sunday 

According to the website the 410 and 510 are running on the 28b or they better be as thats when I finish work!

Plus we were told that the 28b will continue to run on a Sunday - have you heard differently as I doubt nexus would leave lamsly and the surrounding area without a bus on a Sunday?

(26 Jun 2022, 9:32 am)Rob44 According to the website the 410 and 510 are running on the 28b or they better be as thats when I finish work!

Plus we were told that the 28b will continue to run on a Sunday - have you heard differently as I doubt nexus would leave lamsly and the surrounding area without a bus on a Sunday?

Durham County Council are funding the new 28/29 and they originally did not propose to have a Sunday service, so Go North East announced earlier this week that there would be no Sunday service.

Durham County Council has since revised its plans, and there will now be a 28/28B service on Sundays, and Go North East’s website has been updated accordingly.

(26 Jun 2022, 9:55 am)Dan Durham County Council are funding the new 28/29 and they originally did not propose to have a Sunday service, so Go North East announced earlier this week that there would be no Sunday service.

Durham County Council has since revised its plans, and there will now be a 28/28B service on Sundays, and Go North East’s website has been updated accordingly.

Cheers Dan thats what i thought. Are DCC paying for the 28b new - kibb buses though? thought that would be Nexus?

(26 Jun 2022, 10:20 am)Rob44 Cheers Dan thats what i thought. Are DCC paying for the 28b new - kibb buses though? thought that would be Nexus?

Durham County Council and Nexus may come to a financial arrangement between themselves, but Durham County Council is the body tendering the service.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 26 Jun 2022

(26 Jun 2022, 1:46 am)Bazza Are these disruptions caused solely by driver shortages? Or is it a lack of working buses?

The operators need to return to basics.  And if it means working together to provide services that get people from a to b when they want to travel then that is what they should do.

Judging by the amount of buses regularly parked up at places like Washington Galleries and Chester-le-Street, I'd suggest it's almost exclusively driver shortages. Although I appreciate there's no actual public data on this.

Extensive recruitment appears to have been going on for decades. Certainly in my memory, it's always been the case that constant recruitment campaigns have been ran by the three big operators up here, along with several open days etc. Recruitment is one thing, but retention is another. I wonder if operators are struggling with the latter more than the former? 

A lot is said about driver pay, and whilst I'd agree it plays a big part in it, I think there's a lot more (outside of basic pay) that could be done by operators to make the job more attractive.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 26 Jun 2022

One thing I am interested in - how have the services with better reliability/low cancellations recovered compared to the ones with a high number of short notice cancellations?

For example - The Coaster 1. It's extremely rare that it is affected by short notice cancellations - and I've noticed services getting increasingly busy at the minute.

However, how have services at Consett faired in their recovery in comparison?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jack Gill - 26 Jun 2022

(26 Jun 2022, 7:40 pm)Thomas12 One thing I am interested in - how have the services with better reliability/low cancellations recovered compared to the ones with a high number of short notice cancellations?

For example - The Coaster 1. It's extremely rare that it is affected by short notice cancellations - and I've noticed services getting increasingly busy at the minute. 

However, how have services at Consett faired in their recovery in comparison?
Well at Consett it seems obvious that their recovery isn't going as well, with frequency reductions on most services.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 27 Jun 2022

When do we see Drivers shortages end, cos I think it could go into 2023 and 18 months of the same thing, its not getting better its getting worse.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 27 Jun 2022

(27 Jun 2022, 1:10 pm)Unber43 When do we see Drivers shortages end, cos I think it could go into 2023 and 18 months of the same thing, its not getting better its getting worse.
Will it ever end?
We've had fingers pointed at Covid, the DVLA, VOSA, HGV operators, the Government and Brexit. 

But ultimately, they're going to constantly struggle to attract and retain drivers.
They always have done and for all the 'TeamGNE' slogans and platitudes, the same issues will continue to apply there and elsewhere with other operators going forward. Office and other staff (such as fitters) shouldn't be the default fall-back option when shortages kick in.

Just look at what's happening at Chester and the resentment that is causing. We've even had drivers and staff there saying any goodwill has gone from others.
Throw in the pay and conditions that are being being gradually eroded along with all of these monitoring devices that are installed on vehicles and it's no wonder they have issues.
Regardless of Covid, DVLA, VOSA, HGV operators, the Government and Brexit...