North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 23 Jul 2022

The daily larger than usual gap on the 21 has gone out,

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - User2613 - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 2:25 pm)Ambassador The daily larger than usual gap on the 21 has gone out,
Is it a larger gap than usual though if this has been daily for weeks/months. Personally I think "We are currently experiencing the same massive gaps between busses on the 21 as we have for a long time now, but don't worry we aren't going to tell you about them in advance like all other services because that would mean admitting how woefully inept we are, good luck." Sounds far better.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 23 Jul 2022

Do they not put the (through the day) cancellations on the 21 up, and say "larger gap" when there's disruption, because they advertise it as a 'turn-up and go' service between Newcastle and Chester, at least on the PDF timetable?

(23 Jul 2022, 4:15 pm)F114TML Do they not put the (through the day) cancellations on the 21 up, and say "larger gap" when there's disruption, because they advertise it as a 'turn-up and go' service between Newcastle and Chester, at least on the PDF timetable?

They put a list of planned ones but it’s normally double that at least. It’s become a chronically unreliable service. It’s worse then when Huntley was in charge

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 4:15 pm)F114TML Do they not put the (through the day) cancellations on the 21 up, and say "larger gap" when there's disruption, because they advertise it as a 'turn-up and go' service between Newcastle and Chester, at least on the PDF timetable?
It’s not in Durham, though, with the result that we stood like utter twits, waiting for the phantom 21 that, according to the app, was working its way down Front Street, this morning. No twitter acknowledgement of that gap. It was only after searching for it on bus times that I realised that we had been duped.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 4:51 pm)BusLoverMum It’s not in Durham, though, with the result that we stood like utter twits, waiting for the phantom 21 that, according to the app, was working its way down Front Street, this morning. No twitter acknowledgement of that gap. It was only after searching for it on bus times that I realised that we had been duped.

This happened to me waiting for the 28b on low fell. Checked the arrival time on the bus stop on the appt said 10 minutes. Had 2 pints in the Gateshead arms went out with minut to spare. No sign. Checked app again no sign of bus. checked a bus stop at sainsburys and i sware to god it had change from green satellite to a gray color, which i found out after complaining to GNE means its not tracking and its just the timetable time thats showing.... and it was on the cancelation list.... i just handnt looked.  Ended up steaming and just managed to catch the next one!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - GuyParkRoyal - 23 Jul 2022

The Traffic Commissioner has rules for turn up and go services such as  there must be six or more journeys in 60 minutes. Also the interval between consecutive services should not exceed 15 minutes. 
Go North East are failing on both measures and dissatisfied passengers should be informing the Traffic Commissioner so that the so called competent persons named on the operators licence are held to account.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm)GuyParkRoyal The Traffic Commissioner has rules for turn up and go services such as  there must be six or more journeys in 60 minutes. Also the interval between consecutive services should not exceed 15 minutes. 
Go North East are failing on both measures and dissatisfied passengers should be informing the Traffic Commissioner so that the so called competent persons named on the operators licence are held to account.
How many passengers know the traffic comissioner even exists, or how to contact them, though?

We genuinely do need a charter for passengers that protects them and recompenses them, within reason.

Say I’m travelling to Durham with LNER. If they cancel my train or delay me excessively, I get a refund, or if it’s the last train, alternative travel, I’m protected by a national framework.

If I have a day ticket or an annual/weekly/monthly the 21 is cancelled to Durham or I’m waiting an hour or if my last bus is cancelled…I get zip and that has to change.

We have multi billion £ PLCs and others taking the piss out of passengers, happily clawing tax payers money in but abandoning people.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Andreos1 - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm)GuyParkRoyal The Traffic Commissioner has rules for turn up and go services such as  there must be six or more journeys in 60 minutes.  Also the interval between consecutive services should not exceed 15 minutes. 
There probably is according to the scheduled cancellation list.
However that doesn't take in to account each of those 'unexpected' cancellations that are happening day in/day out due to 'traffic' or 'breakdowns'.

It's hard to prove that those unexpected cancellations are actually expected and would take a wiley detective, with excellent investigative skills to uncover it.

(23 Jul 2022, 9:50 pm)Ambassador We genuinely do need a charter for passengers that protects them and recompenses them, within reason.

Say I’m travelling to Durham with LNER. If they cancel my train or delay me excessively, I get a refund, or if it’s the last train, alternative travel, I’m protected by a national framework.

If I have a day ticket or an annual/weekly/monthly the 21 is cancelled to Durham or I’m waiting an hour or if my last bus is cancelled…I get zip and that has to change.

We have multi billion £ PLCs and others taking the piss out of passengers, happily clawing tax payers  money in but abandoning people.
I agree and have said as much in the past. 

The shit show we've seen recently merely reinforces and confirms that something needs done to regulate something that some may say is being ran by cowboys.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 23 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 9:50 pm)Ambassador We genuinely do need a charter for passengers that protects them and recompenses them, within reason.

We have multi billion £ PLCs and others taking the piss out of passengers, happily clawing tax payers  money in but abandoning people.

Absolutely. I don't think it needs to be as extreme as delay repay, as it'd be a minefield to manage and I'd imagine a lot would be put down to 'factors outside of our control'. But I'd agree there needs to be protection for last buses of the day, but again unlike the railways, you can't get in contact with anyone after 5pm on a Friday.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 23 Jul 2022

The short notice cancellations has excelled itself for tomorrow: cancelling journeys that no longer exist in the timetable!

It looks like the entirety of the X1 and 4 cancellations list is based on the pre-24th July timetable (see attached). Others may be the same, but I've not checked, as I was only trying to plan what to avoid for tomorrow.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 24 Jul 2022

(23 Jul 2022, 11:02 pm)Adrian The short notice cancellations has excelled itself for tomorrow: cancelling journeys that no longer exist in the timetable!

It looks like the entirety of the X1 and 4 cancellations list is based on the pre-24th July timetable (see attached). Others may be the same, but I've not checked, as I was only trying to plan what to avoid for tomorrow.

They must have spotted their mistakes as I see they are right now.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 24 Jul 2022

No 4 from Houghton between 11.26 and the 13.56 today, then again between the 14.26 and 16.26. Shameful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MurdnunoC - 24 Jul 2022

(24 Jul 2022, 8:59 am)Adrian No 4 from Houghton between 11.26 and the 13.56 today, then again between the 14.26 and 16.26. Shameful.

Another omnishambles brought to you by Don't Go North East.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 24 Jul 2022

(24 Jul 2022, 8:59 am)Adrian No 4 from Houghton between 11.26 and the 13.56 today, then again between the 14.26 and 16.26. Shameful.

That is a disgrace.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 24 Jul 2022

Ive got a question. the following journeys are canceled on the 28b today

Go North East 28B:

From Newcastle 17:10
From Kibblesworth 12:43

I think this interworks with the 28? My question though is what happens to the bus and the driver who would get to Newcastle at 1240 to run the now canceled 28b to kibblesworth. Do they put it nOT IN SERVICE and drive to the depot?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 24 Jul 2022

(24 Jul 2022, 9:28 am)Rob44 Ive got a question. the following journeys are canceled on the 28b today

Go North East 28B:

From Newcastle 17:10
From Kibblesworth 12:43

I think this interworks with the 28? My question though is what happens to the bus and the driver who would get to Newcastle at 1240 to run the now canceled 28b to kibblesworth. Do they put it nOT IN SERVICE and drive to the depot?
When I've seen it in the past, both the inbound and outbound journey havent operated, but only one of the trips listed.

Importantly, I think both of those services are now fully secured by Durham County Council, so make sure you report the non-running to them directly.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 24 Jul 2022

(24 Jul 2022, 11:08 am)Adrian When I've seen it in the past, both the inbound and outbound journey havent operated, but only one of the trips listed.

Importantly, I think both of those services are now fully secured by Durham County Council, so make sure you report the non-running to them directly.

Yes that make sense i suppose . it looks like the 28 from chester le street is canceled at 1605 meaning the 1710 28b is cancelked back to kibbkls worth. but how come the 1815 28b back to town isnt canceled as that should be the bus that does the previuos service? Or am i getting confused?

Well that started from today I think and only a coiple of cancelations so alot better than noramal

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Jack Gill - 24 Jul 2022

Nearly all the cancellations were from Washington which I'm sure Dan mentioned was the only depot to not be overstaffed or similar, however since this morning a few Riverside cancellations have been added.