North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

RE: Bus incidents - Rob44 - 06 Sep 2022

Not a bus incident but GNE along with the rest of the group been hit by a cyber attack?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-based-transport-company-go-24939779

RE: Bus incidents - BusLoverMum - 06 Sep 2022

(06 Sep 2022, 10:52 am)Rob44 Not a bus incident but GNE along with the rest of the group been hit by a cyber attack?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-based-transport-company-go-24939779
I think it's been mentioned in the disruptions thread.

RE: Bus incidents - Rob44 - 06 Sep 2022

(06 Sep 2022, 11:21 am)BusLoverMum I think it's been mentioned in the disruptions thread.

yes i knew i'd seen it somewhere ... must have done a man look!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 06 Sep 2022

Fun police got the first bus of the day to toon today. You g lad was running for the bus along saltwell road ( accordingbto her he used to get on at the stop before but this no longer has a service) stuck his hand out about ten metres from stop and driver drove on.... no wonder people are going back to there cars

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 06 Sep 2022

(06 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm)Rob44 Fun police got the first bus of the day to toon today. You g lad was running for the bus along saltwell road ( accordingbto her he used to get on at the stop before but this no longer has a service) stuck his hand out about ten metres from stop and driver drove on.... no wonder people are going back to there cars
I would never run for the bus, it's not worth the embarrassment of missing it. I'd rather be late with dignity

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 07 Sep 2022

(06 Sep 2022, 10:40 pm)streetdeckfan I would never run for the bus, it's not worth the embarrassment of missing it. I'd rather be late with dignity

me too although i tend to waddle and if I did catch it it would take me 10 minutes to catch my breath...... but there is only one an hour so he would be screwed to get to collage or wherever.

Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 07 Sep 2022

I'm no IT expert, but surely if they can update the website to say they can't update it, then they can update it with the cancellations...

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 07 Sep 2022

(07 Sep 2022, 9:15 am)streetdeckfan I'm no IT expert, but surely if they can update the website to say they can't update it, then they can update it with the cancellations...

Cancellations are taking from the system at the depot which allocates all the work to the drivers - which is currently unavailable and trying to allocate drivers via pen and paper is not an easy task and very time consuming.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 08 Sep 2022

I've been speaking to a few ex-GNE drivers and held back on posting in here but what one of them said today has never made me feel so happy in a single choice. Basically what they're saying is that the money doesn't really matter - they're leaving because of constant abuse (a driver in Sunderland apparently was nearly assaulted yesterday over the cancellations - won't be long until one actually is), the constant service changes, and the vehicles themselves.

What I'm saying is GNE are in a death spiral and the question is - how do they get out of it? I won't be surprised if they just sell off a depot with a bunch of routes, staff and vehicles.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Aaron21 - 08 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 3:11 pm)F114TML I've been speaking to a few ex-GNE drivers and held back on posting in here but what one of them said today has never made me feel so happy in a single choice. Basically what they're saying is that the money doesn't really matter - they're leaving because of constant abuse (a driver in Sunderland apparently was nearly assaulted yesterday over the cancellations - won't be long until  one actually is), the constant service changes, and the vehicles themselves.

What I'm saying is GNE are in a death spiral and the question is - how do they get out of it? I won't be surprised if they just sell off a depot with a bunch of routes, staff and vehicles.
Don't worry. The next lot of service changes will sort it (they have been saying this since September last year)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 08 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 3:11 pm)F114TML I've been speaking to a few ex-GNE drivers and held back on posting in here but what one of them said today has never made me feel so happy in a single choice. Basically what they're saying is that the money doesn't really matter - they're leaving because of constant abuse (a driver in Sunderland apparently was nearly assaulted yesterday over the cancellations - won't be long until  one actually is), the constant service changes, and the vehicles themselves.

Tbf, since Sept Changes Deptford have had barely any parked buses (which aren't due to go on school routes) I think i've seen a Single Prince Bishops, 2 berries, however every 20/20A I've seen have been rammed. 

Gateshead have had a few more parked up.

Disruptions and driver shortages - cbma06 - 08 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 6:18 pm)Unber43 Tbf, since Sept Changes Deptford have had barely any parked buses (which aren't due to go on school routes) I think i've seen a Single Prince Bishops, 2 berries, however every 20/20A I've seen have been rammed. 

Gateshead have had a few more parked up.

With Deptford , since sept changes it would probably due to the fact buses have transferred to Chester depot for storage and buses transferred to Tyneside and also Hexham and other locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 08 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm)cbma06 With Deptford , since sept changes it would probably due to the fact buses have transferred to Chester depot for storage and buses transferred to Tyneside and also Hexham and other locations.

If the shifts (or part of shifts) were uncovered, would the buses still not be parked up at Park Lane?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 08 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 8:04 pm)citaro5284 If the shifts (or part of shifts) were uncovered, would the buses still not be parked up at Park Lane?
They're only parked up at Park Lane if they've got another driver which is meant to go on them after the missed services. If there are no drivers planned to go onto them for the rest of the day they normally return to the depot, if buses don't have a driver in the morning when the driver signs on he'll collect the bus or a mechanics will drop it off. I assume.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 08 Sep 2022

So I work in a risk and controls heavy environment and as much as I don’t wish to criticise (wellll) the lack of back up or getting things back online is…poor.

Although I doubt the go ahead group or at least it’s regional subsidiaries pay/attract anything but lower market rate level employees in most roles, it’s concerning there is no back up in place to support Customers or indeed a confirmation that customer data definitively wasn’t involved in the attack.

Turn up and hope…..

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 09 Sep 2022

(08 Sep 2022, 9:51 pm)Ambassador So I work in a risk and controls heavy environment and as much as I don’t wish to criticise (wellll) the lack of back up or getting things back online is…poor.

Although I doubt the go ahead group or at least it’s regional subsidiaries pay/attract anything but lower market rate level employees in most roles, it’s concerning there is no back up in place to support Customers or indeed a confirmation that customer data definitively wasn’t involved in the attack.

Turn up and hope…..

It's never that easy, regardless of whether there's a robust business continuity and disaster recovery plan in place.

From business continuity, its largely been successful, as the customers haven't noticed anything different (other than the website not being updated). Buses still running, fares still being taken, mobile app and website both up.

Disaster recovery is another matter, and no company would ever share the progress of this. But it doesn't matter how many DR simulations you run, its different from the real thing. You don't have any clues in terms of entrypoint, what has been targeted and the extent of damage. Until that is worked out, its pointless starting wholesale service recovery. Even at that, you cannot predict how recovery operations are going to perform in the IT world. As much as everyone outside the IT dept think you can.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Sep 2022

Have GNE stopped updating their Short Notice Journey Cancellations as they've managed to update it for a press release to honour our late Queen?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - lxbical - 09 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)Unber43 Have GNE stopped updating their Short Notice Journey Cancellations as they've managed to update it for a press release to honour our late Queen?

They can update the website but they don't have the list for cancelled services since they have limited access to the systems that have been affected by the cyber attack (this is what support told me)

Disruptions and driver shortages - Dan - 09 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 7:55 pm)lxbical They can update the website but they don't have the list for cancelled services since they have limited access to the systems that have been affected by the cyber attack (this is what support told me)

And I’m sure I recall someone telling Umber43 this on the forum earlier this week too…

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 09 Sep 2022

(09 Sep 2022, 7:55 pm)lxbical They can update the website but they don't have the list for cancelled services since they have limited access to the systems that have been affected by the cyber attack (this is what support told me)
Thanks.