North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 08 May 2023

Just throwing it out there, but in the age of technology and vehicle tracking, should a customer need to complain and provide details of huge gaps in service/missing buses? Wouldn't this be a case of telling the operator what they already know?

I'd like to think operators use the information proactively to improve service, rather than waiting for someone to point it out to them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Rob44 - 08 May 2023

OI got the 28b to town and people weren't getting on and looked to be waiting for an angel! Only me and the crocodile on the bus most of the way back but loads standing at the 21 stand at GATESHEAD. Obv these could be going to Birtley CLS etc but i bet a pound some of them could have got the 28b and would have if it served the same stop at GATESHEAD M

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ianthegoon - 08 May 2023

(08 May 2023, 8:35 am)Adrian Just throwing it out there, but in the age of technology and vehicle tracking, should a customer need to complain and provide details of huge gaps in service/missing buses? Wouldn't this be a case of telling the operator what they already know?

I'd like to think operators use the information proactively to improve service, rather than waiting for someone to point it out to them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Call me cynical, but these days I'd be more concerned that some companies would take a lack of complaints to mean that they'd got away with providing a shoddy service .....

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 08 May 2023

(08 May 2023, 4:55 am)pbjd Believe that’s just 6359 having tracking issues rather than gaps in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think 6359 was having tracking issues last week as well, I'm sure it was tracking on the q3 and the X21 at the same time, then completely disappearing for a bit

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 08 May 2023

(08 May 2023, 10:30 am)Ianthegoon Call me cynical, but these days I'd be more concerned that some companies would take a lack of complaints to mean that they'd got away with providing a shoddy service .....

I mean, I'd hope no business would take the volume of complaints (high or low) as a measure of success! It's more a question of why would they deal with these issues reactively, when the data is in their possession.

I've had this before though; being asked to provide examples, when the operator is the custodian of the data!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - BusLoverMum - 08 May 2023

(08 May 2023, 4:55 am)pbjd Believe that’s just 6359 having tracking issues rather than gaps in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, we weren't going to let the Angel due to leave ES at the same time go without us, just in case!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - MVK500R - 10 May 2023

Q3 to Wallsend due at the Law Courts at 17:15, was tracking as far as Market Street East, then disappeared. No word from GNE either. Be interesting to know if A) Nexus still pay for a part funded service that doesn't complete it's journey, and B) if GNE actually report non-runners to Nexus.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 10 May 2023

It seems the X39 which comes of the Q3, the 8:25 is always late getting into the Cobalt for after 9am.

That needs to be changed.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 19 May 2023

(10 May 2023, 6:55 pm)Unber43 It seems the X39 which comes of the Q3, the 8:25 is always late getting into the Cobalt for after 9am.

That needs to be changed.

Yeah the X39 changes are causing no end of headaches staffing wise. The removal of the 4.30ish service and its replacement with a barely used 6pm run means everyone wants to leave the office by 4pm to catch the first X39.

The extended journey times on the 309/7 are equally painful. Better service for residents but worse for commuters into Cobalt…hand gives and takes away

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - nova347 - 23 May 2023

Today GNE 65 left at 7:20, there was not another one leaving Seaham till 10:13. three hours without a bus service. I'm sorry but that is an absolute fucken disgrace. One of my friends almost missed their exam for 11, luckily they managed to get a lift but it's not the point.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 23 May 2023

(23 May 2023, 5:21 pm)nova347 Today GNE 65 left at 7:20, there was not another one leaving Seaham till 10:13. three hours without a bus service. I'm sorry but that is an absolute fucken disgrace. One of my friends almost missed their exam for 11, luckily they managed to get a lift but it's not the point.
It was actually 10:43

As the 08:06 ran dead from Percy Main to Durham, 09:13 ran from Hetton, 09:43 ran from Hetton after arriving into Seaham 20 mins late, 10:13 ran dead from Park Lane to Hetton

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - L469 YVK - 24 May 2023

(19 May 2023, 9:53 pm)Ambassador Yeah the X39 changes are causing no end of headaches staffing wise. The removal of the 4.30ish service and its replacement with a barely used 6pm run means everyone wants to leave the office by 4pm to catch the first X39.

The extended journey times on the 309/7 are equally painful. Better service for residents but worse for commuters into Cobalt…hand gives and takes away
The 309 isn't that much longer than what it was pre March other than serving High Farm.

Thank our lucky stars the Silverlini / A19 flyover was completed before COVID as the Cobalt traffic used to be on par if not worse than the Metrocentre is around Xmas time

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 25 May 2023

Both the X10 19:20/20:20 from Middlesbrough either broke down or were just stopped for an hour

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 12 Jun 2023

Stagecoach Sunderland seem to be getting desparately short again. 48 minute gap on the 16 at one point today, although in fairness that includes a bus that was turned due to lateness.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 13 Jun 2023

(12 Jun 2023, 9:32 pm)F114TML Stagecoach Sunderland seem to be getting desparately short again. 48 minute gap on the 16 at one point today, although in fairness that includes a bus that was turned due to lateness.

See really buses should run late if there isn't one behind or one in front, or the one behind is like (say 15 mins service, 10-15 mins late)

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 13 Jun 2023

(13 Jun 2023, 8:06 am)Unber43 See really buses should run late if there isn't one behind or one in front, or the one behind is like (say 15 mins service, 10-15 mins late)
But then what happens when the driver runs out of hours? They just pull over half way along the route and get off?

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 13 Jun 2023

(13 Jun 2023, 8:10 am)streetdeckfan But then what happens when the driver runs out of hours? They just pull over half way along the route and get off?

I think I can remember someone saying that some GNE driver trips without a break go over the legal driving hours. 

Honestly idk, but no one should be in a position where a service whcih is every 12 mins there isn't one for 48 mins

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - citaro5284 - 13 Jun 2023

Link below to the PSV375, which outlines driving and rest hours both under EU and GB

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hours-passenger-vehicles

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - deanmachine - 14 Jun 2023

(13 Jun 2023, 8:13 am)Unber43 I think I can remember someone saying that some GNE driver trips without a break go over the legal driving hours.

What? No they don't. In fact it's a union requirement that drivers don't go above 5 hours driving time which is 30 minutes less than the max.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 14 Jun 2023

(14 Jun 2023, 9:29 am)deanmachine What? No they don't. In fact it's a union requirement that drivers don't go above 5 hours driving time which is 30 minutes less than the max.
Oh well, it was definitely one of the big 3