North East Buses
Disruptions and driver shortages - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Operations, Management & Infrastructure (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Disruptions and driver shortages (/showthread.php?tid=3532)

Disruptions and driver shortages - pbjd - 12 Sep 2023

(12 Sep 2023, 4:35 am)Dan Happy to be corrected by any of the Stagecoach drivers on this forum, but my understanding is that their drivers are paid for dead runs but not for the time they drive a van to a relief point at the start or end of their shift, or before and after their break.

For example, Stagecoach services 10/11 in Sunderland relieve at the Winter Gardens. From the moment the driver is scheduled to arrive at the Winter Gardens, s/he is then ‘off the clock’ (whilst travelling back to the Wheatsheaf).

This is quite common practice in the industry. You will find that Arriva drivers aren’t paid to travel on the staff shuttle between Belmont and Durham City Centre too.

As I mentioned above, Go North East’s terms and conditions are more favourable to drivers - presently at all depots barring Riverside and Hexham, this travel time is paid (ie between Park Lane and Deptford, or Hownsgill and Consett Bus Station).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t speak for Wheatsheaf having only driven the Eco’s which do changeovers at the depot but we are certainly paid to drive the traffic cars at the other 3 busways depots.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - RobinHood - 12 Sep 2023

(12 Sep 2023, 4:35 am)Dan This is quite common practice in the industry. You will find that Arriva drivers aren’t paid to travel on the staff shuttle between Belmont and Durham City Centre too.

As I mentioned above, Go North East’s terms and conditions are more favourable to drivers - presently at all depots barring Riverside and Hexham, this travel time is paid (ie between Park Lane and Deptford, or Hownsgill and Consett Bus Station).

Both of these examples are very different to the Stagecoach example in that Go Ahead pay their drivers for their travel time, so they are technically working and could be asked to drive a company vehicle.

Arriva offer transport between the depot and Durham City Centre for example, but the driver isn't working (i.e operating any company vehicle) in order to use it. A dedicated driver operates the shuttle and it is there as an option.

The driver of course doesn't need to use the shuttle and they could go straight into the City Centre to sign on (and some will), but by the sound of the Stagecoach example, staff need to take a vehicle in order it l to relieve (and therefore provide a vehicle for that driver to return), which sounds really iffy and should absolutely be paid.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - F114TML - 13 Sep 2023

(12 Sep 2023, 4:35 am)Dan Happy to be corrected by any of the Stagecoach drivers on this forum, but my understanding is that their drivers are paid for dead runs but not for the time they drive a van to a relief point at the start or end of their shift, or before and after their break.

For example, Stagecoach services 10/11 in Sunderland relieve at the Winter Gardens. From the moment the driver is scheduled to arrive at the Winter Gardens, s/he is then ‘off the clock’ (whilst travelling back to the Wheatsheaf).

This is incorrect. For any route changing in the town you get paid extra travelling time, but it's not on the clock (so if you take an hour or 5 minutes, you'll get the same amount travel payment). We also get paid time to sign on, cash in and check the bus out in the yard.

You are correct though that we are paid the whole time we are in charge of the bus including dead runs and sitting time.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 13 Sep 2023

What a disgrace, the last 3 309 services from Newcastle don't appear to be operating whatsoever.

Cobalt & Coast 307

The following full journeys will not operate  

From Newcastle: 10:55, 15:55
From North Shields: 11:55, 14:55, 17:05, 20:38
The following journeys will only run as far as Norham Road/Verne Road  

From Newcastle: 13:55
The following journeys will start at Norham Road/Verne Road  

From Newcastle: 12:55

Cobalt & Coast 309 

The following full journeys will not operate  

From Newcastle: 18:40, 19:30, 21:30, 22:30, 23:45
From Blyth: 17:21, 20:45, 22:50
The following journeys will only run as far as New York  

From Newcastle: 17:15
From Blyth: 12:26

The following journeys will start at New York  

From Newcastle: 16:10
From Blyth: 20:50

And there's no way that is all of the cancellations listed, there's been lots of gaps on the service this morning. Absolute shambles.

And there's a strike incoming - https://sunderlandglobalmedia.org/gonortheast-drivers-vote-overwhelmingly-in-favour-of-strike-at-union-meeting

Sure we've got Nigel and Ben to thank for that!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 10:26 am)Thomas12 What a disgrace, the last 3 309 services from Newcastle don't appear to be operating whatsoever.

I remember once upon a time, they'd commit to always ensure the last bus of the day ran. Nowadays, most operators think that sticking a notice up is their job done.

Catch the Bus month... only you can't.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - streetdeckfan - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 11:46 am)Adrian I remember once upon a time, they'd commit to always ensure the last bus of the day ran. Nowadays, most operators think that sticking a notice up is their job done.

Catch the Bus month... only you can't.
I was on the last X21 to West Auckland a few weeks back and it broke down.
We were put on the next X21 and told to just try and get the Arriva 6 for free.

Obviously I ended up having to pay but got a free day ticket out of customer services so overall was in profit!

Obviously it's different since there was an alternative available, but it was still annoying!

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Disruptions and driver shortages - j986986 - 13 Sep 2023

The amount of cancellations from Percy Main now is a joke, especially the 309. Why take on so many new services if you have to cancel a busy bus route for 3 hours on a night time. Last 309 now is at 20:30pm instead of 23:45pm.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - DaveFromUpNorth - 13 Sep 2023

(11 Sep 2023, 11:50 am)mb134 If Bustimes is to be believed, there have been a few North Tyne Rockets cancelled:

352: 0755, 1000, 1200 from Haymarket. 0825 from Cramlington.

353: 0707 from North Shields. 0900 from Cramlington, and 1100 from Cramlington was picked up at New York.

Think there's a couple of 355s too.

Vehicles which have subsequently tracked on some of those boards, as far as I can tell, have previously tracked today so it doesn't appear to be a tracking issue.

The Arriva Blyth situation doesn't seem to have improved much against last week either, there appears to be an X10/11 missing, currently one X7/8/9 missing (and a breakdown), and a 308 board missing.

(13 Sep 2023, 3:11 pm)j986986 The amount of cancellations from Percy Main now is a joke, especially the 309. Why take on so many new services if you have to cancel a busy bus route for 3 hours on a night time. Last 309 now is at 20:30pm instead of 23:45pm.

Last night the last 307 (2300 from haymarket)  regular old man who has no smart phone  was contemplating having to stay in town all night until the first bus the next day... 

Luckily after a few thinking heads I was able to direct him to get the last 1 service so it was closer to his house

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 13 Sep 2023

When last buses dont run GNE should be ordered to pay for a taxi to get everyone home

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Ambassador - 13 Sep 2023

It appears the X39 afternoon runs didn’t run again

Sure all this new contract and commercial work is worth pissing off your existing customer base?

Yet more proof the management aren’t up to the task and are making poor decisions

(13 Sep 2023, 4:58 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Last night the last 307 (2300 from haymarket)  regular old man who has no smart phone  was contemplating having to stay in town all night until the first bus the next day... 

Luckily after a few thinking heads I was able to direct him to get the last 1 service so it was closer to his house

Exactly, they seem to forget that a huge amount of people rely on buses everyday and cancelling a service (especially the last one of the day) is a huge inconvenience to many. The last service of the day should always run, no matter what.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Unber43 - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 7:24 pm)Ambassador It appears the X39 afternoon runs didn’t run again

Sure all this new contract and commercial work is worth pissing off your existing customer base?

Yet more proof the management aren’t up to the task and are making poor decisions

Not to mention the commercial work is a risk which theyve took on, X39 was a money maker!

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Busu284 - 13 Sep 2023

Absolutely pathetic tomorrow

The following 553 journey will not run
From Freeman Hospital 16.18/17.18. They have cancelled both and they run of the 665N school run

352/353/354/355 all have cancelled services tomorrow

1 has loads of cancelled services

41/41A starting to see runs cancelled

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 7:24 pm)Ambassador It appears the X39 afternoon runs didn’t run again

They should just cancel the 352 and 354 outright imo.

They're just duplicates of the 37 (SNE) and 359 anyway for the unique sections anyway.

Anyone using the 352 must have an issue with Stagecoach as there's absolutely no other reason to use it and the 354 has been a basket case for years. Would free up 4 boards immediately.

(13 Sep 2023, 8:05 pm)Storx They should just cancel the 352 and 354 outright imo.

They're just duplicates of the 37 (SNE) and 359 anyway for the unique sections anyway.

Anyone using the 352 must have an issue with Stagecoach as there's absolutely no other reason to use it and the 354 has been a basket case for years. Would free up 4 boards immediately.

The 354 is pretty well used and provides links from Killingworth and Shiremoor to Gosforth and South Gosforth.

Disruptions and driver shortages - Adrian - 13 Sep 2023

Nothing should be cancelled outright. Get a grip on the recruitment and retention issues instead.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

(13 Sep 2023, 8:15 pm)Adrian Nothing should be cancelled outright. Get a grip on the recruitment and retention issues instead.

True, seems that is very difficult to do though.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Storx - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 8:13 pm)j986986 The 354 is pretty well used and provides links from Killingworth and Shiremoor to Gosforth and South Gosforth.

It wasn't a profitable route under Arriva though hence the decimation by the end, see below.

(13 Sep 2023, 8:15 pm)Adrian Nothing should be cancelled outright. Get a grip on the recruitment and retention issues instead.

Agreed but when you're having the problems like now, running services which duplicate other routes (354/359 and 37/352) it's arguably better to get arid of them especially when they're operationally out of your core area. Damage limitation etc.

Riverside is the problem depot though and has been for awhile and they can't seem to ever solve it. It's the partial reason for this since Percy Main are having to deal with the 97 because of their issues and it all goes back to the complete mishandling of Chester Le Street which shot them in the foot.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Thomas12 - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 7:59 pm)Busu284 Absolutely pathetic tomorrow

The following 553 journey will not run
From Freeman Hospital 16.18/17.18. They have cancelled both and they run of the 665N school run

352/353/354/355 all have cancelled services tomorrow

1 has loads of cancelled services

41/41A starting to see runs cancelled

The evening 553 didn't run yesterday or today either. 

The 309/310 has been totally unacceptable today - the evening services are the worst but there has been hour gaps throughout the day, and there were no 307's departing North Shields for around three hours at one point this afternoon/evening.

RE: Disruptions and driver shortages - Shrek - 13 Sep 2023

(13 Sep 2023, 8:16 pm)j986986 True, seems that is very difficult to do though.

It never seemed to be an issue before Brexit. I'll stop now before I get too political.