Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14): Previous 1 2 314 Next
Andreos1

04 Jul 2017, 10:20 am #21
(04 Jul 2017, 8:03 am)Venturego From Business Daily:
https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2017/07/03...e=bulletin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-07-04-north-east&utm_content=lead-story-title

Go North East makes £1.6m contactless ticketing investment

Bus operator Go North East is hoping to drive up passenger numbers across its Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, County Durham and Tees Valley services after investing over £1.6m in contactless ticketing.

Effective as of this wednesday, the company revealed contactless payments can be made for single, return and day tickets on Visa and Mastercard, or via mobile using Apple Pay or Android Pay.

The investment is part of an ongoing programme of works by Go North East.

In February, it spent £1.6m on 10 new Wright Streetlite micro-hybrid buses for its Durham Diamond 16 and 16A services and £1.8m on 11 new buses for its no. 49 bus services which operates between Gateshead, Dunston, Metrocentre, Winlaton and Blaydon.

In June, it also announced a further £650,000 invested on refurbishing 36 vehicles, which included the introduction of five newly branded Blaydon Racer buses onto the roads of Newcastle, to mark the legendary fun run.

Kevin Carr, managing director of Go North East, said: “Studies released on bus travel show it is a third less stressful to commute by bus than car, is good for the local economy and encourages more daily exercise.

“And, we believe, by offering contactless payment options, non-bus users who were previously worried about having incorrect change or who were put off by the ticket-buying process, may be more inclined to just pop on the bus now.

“Contactless has already been trialed for a few weeks on our popular Q3 Quaylink service in Newcastle, to great local acclaim and now we’re excited to launch it across all our services, during the popular awareness week.

“This new fast, simple and secure way to pay means our passengers can travel hassle-free, without the worry of having change for the bus.”

Even more reasons for them to not let passengers know about 4 or 5% increase in fares!

'Sotry about not notifying you about the increases and you not having enough change to get to work, but it doesn't matter. Just pay with your card. Problem solved'

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jul 2017, 10:20 am #21

https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2017/07/03...e=bulletin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-07-04-north-east&utm_content=lead-story-title

Go North East makes £1.6m contactless ticketing investment

Bus operator Go North East is hoping to drive up passenger numbers across its Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, County Durham and Tees Valley services after investing over £1.6m in contactless ticketing.

Effective as of this wednesday, the company revealed contactless payments can be made for single, return and day tickets on Visa and Mastercard, or via mobile using Apple Pay or Android Pay.

The investment is part of an ongoing programme of works by Go North East.

In February, it spent £1.6m on 10 new Wright Streetlite micro-hybrid buses for its Durham Diamond 16 and 16A services and £1.8m on 11 new buses for its no. 49 bus services which operates between Gateshead, Dunston, Metrocentre, Winlaton and Blaydon.

In June, it also announced a further £650,000 invested on refurbishing 36 vehicles, which included the introduction of five newly branded Blaydon Racer buses onto the roads of Newcastle, to mark the legendary fun run.

Kevin Carr, managing director of Go North East, said: “Studies released on bus travel show it is a third less stressful to commute by bus than car, is good for the local economy and encourages more daily exercise.

“And, we believe, by offering contactless payment options, non-bus users who were previously worried about having incorrect change or who were put off by the ticket-buying process, may be more inclined to just pop on the bus now.

“Contactless has already been trialed for a few weeks on our popular Q3 Quaylink service in Newcastle, to great local acclaim and now we’re excited to launch it across all our services, during the popular awareness week.

“This new fast, simple and secure way to pay means our passengers can travel hassle-free, without the worry of having change for the bus.”

Even more reasons for them to not let passengers know about 4 or 5% increase in fares!

'Sotry about not notifying you about the increases and you not having enough change to get to work, but it doesn't matter. Just pay with your card. Problem solved'

idiot

04 Jul 2017, 1:06 pm #22
Very true.
What is misleading is how all the machines have the contact less symbol on it. I'm quite in the know obv with GNE but thought I had missed the fact it was live until I was corrected by the driver
idiot
04 Jul 2017, 1:06 pm #22

Very true.
What is misleading is how all the machines have the contact less symbol on it. I'm quite in the know obv with GNE but thought I had missed the fact it was live until I was corrected by the driver

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm #23
(04 Jul 2017, 1:06 pm)idiot Very true.

The sticker was added onto every machine last week ahead of the contactless payments being introduced this week.

It's live now. In fact, drivers were able to accept contactless payments on all services from Saturday, despite the 'public' launch not being until this week, in line with Catch the Bus Week.
Dan
04 Jul 2017, 2:16 pm #23

(04 Jul 2017, 1:06 pm)idiot Very true.

The sticker was added onto every machine last week ahead of the contactless payments being introduced this week.

It's live now. In fact, drivers were able to accept contactless payments on all services from Saturday, despite the 'public' launch not being until this week, in line with Catch the Bus Week.

04 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm #24
Tkt machine  on 3980  issung tktts that are totally  blank  !!
Coppercap40
04 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm #24

Tkt machine  on 3980  issung tktts that are totally  blank  !!

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jul 2017, 3:52 pm #25
(04 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm)Coppercap40 Tkt machine  on 3980  issung tktts that are totally  blank  !!

Quite likely that the driver has put the ticket roll in the wrong way round.

This is the most common reason for blank tickets being issued.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dan
04 Jul 2017, 3:52 pm #25

(04 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm)Coppercap40 Tkt machine  on 3980  issung tktts that are totally  blank  !!

Quite likely that the driver has put the ticket roll in the wrong way round.

This is the most common reason for blank tickets being issued.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JP6004

04 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm #26
With the new B5s not far off, does anyone know if they will have the larger fuel tank fitted like the B9s did?

Also IF the 10 not due new deckers, and the B9s go to the 10 to make up the PVR, will they be based at Hexham due to them having the larger tank?
JP6004
04 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm #26

With the new B5s not far off, does anyone know if they will have the larger fuel tank fitted like the B9s did?

Also IF the 10 not due new deckers, and the B9s go to the 10 to make up the PVR, will they be based at Hexham due to them having the larger tank?

04 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm #27
(04 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm)JP6004 With the new B5s not far off, does anyone know if they will have the larger fuel tank fitted like the B9s did?

Most definitely, Due to the B9TL having 2x 235L Tanks which adds up to 470L, With the B5 only having a capacity of up to 250L's in a single tank.
Not sure on the fuel usage of the of both but id imagine it would warrant and extra tank due to the Smaller D5K having to work harder than the D9B in the B9.

Saying that, The holding capacity of the B9 is ridiculously big compared to the E400 and other rivals, So are they actually fitted with extra tanks? I cant remember hearing anything about it.

Arnt TEN's split between Hexham and Riverside Drivers but the buses finish at wither one of them, Such as a board starting at Riverside on a morning but finishing at Hexham in the evening?
If so, Id imagine they'd be allocated on paper to both but would still make appearances on the TTX when required to provide some more flexibility between Tacogrpahed Spares.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
04 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm #27

(04 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm)JP6004 With the new B5s not far off, does anyone know if they will have the larger fuel tank fitted like the B9s did?

Most definitely, Due to the B9TL having 2x 235L Tanks which adds up to 470L, With the B5 only having a capacity of up to 250L's in a single tank.
Not sure on the fuel usage of the of both but id imagine it would warrant and extra tank due to the Smaller D5K having to work harder than the D9B in the B9.

Saying that, The holding capacity of the B9 is ridiculously big compared to the E400 and other rivals, So are they actually fitted with extra tanks? I cant remember hearing anything about it.

Arnt TEN's split between Hexham and Riverside Drivers but the buses finish at wither one of them, Such as a board starting at Riverside on a morning but finishing at Hexham in the evening?
If so, Id imagine they'd be allocated on paper to both but would still make appearances on the TTX when required to provide some more flexibility between Tacogrpahed Spares.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Adrian

04 Jul 2017, 5:36 pm #28

I'd be very interested to see this study in full. The one being referred to is here - http://www.greenerjourneys.com/news/bus-...ssful-car/, but I can only find a summary of it? It's completely subjective without seeing the research behind it.

I do agree that offering contactless payment options is a big boost for the North East. GNE joining the party means that all three principal operators now accept it. Whilst it is easier to purchase tickets with contactless being available, it does not make the ticketing options any better though. I just hope this new technology is embraced to the point of having a multi operator weekly/monthly/annual ticket, with the ability to select combinations of zones right across the North East.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jul 2017, 5:36 pm #28

I'd be very interested to see this study in full. The one being referred to is here - http://www.greenerjourneys.com/news/bus-...ssful-car/, but I can only find a summary of it? It's completely subjective without seeing the research behind it.

I do agree that offering contactless payment options is a big boost for the North East. GNE joining the party means that all three principal operators now accept it. Whilst it is easier to purchase tickets with contactless being available, it does not make the ticketing options any better though. I just hope this new technology is embraced to the point of having a multi operator weekly/monthly/annual ticket, with the ability to select combinations of zones right across the North East.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

markydh

04 Jul 2017, 6:00 pm #29
Just having the Network One pass on a smartcard would be a start!
markydh
04 Jul 2017, 6:00 pm #29

Just having the Network One pass on a smartcard would be a start!

Andreos1

05 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm #30
Two more Streetlites for Deptford?
Both in corportate livery, driven by fitters and coming along the Felling Bypass.

One got stuck at Testo's (so didn't get id) and the other one disappeared off at the Nissan slip, scooting towards Sunderland via North Hylton Road. I didn't get that id either...

Andreos1
05 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm #30

Two more Streetlites for Deptford?
Both in corportate livery, driven by fitters and coming along the Felling Bypass.

One got stuck at Testo's (so didn't get id) and the other one disappeared off at the Nissan slip, scooting towards Sunderland via North Hylton Road. I didn't get that id either...

S813 FVK

05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm #31
(05 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm)Andreos1 Two more Streetlites for Deptford?

I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/35...otostream/

I'd still prefer the website and message to be on the black bit above the windows but having seen a Black Cats Streetlite the other week, it doesn't look that bad.
Edited 05 Jul 2017, 4:46 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm #31

(05 Jul 2017, 4:39 pm)Andreos1 Two more Streetlites for Deptford?

I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!

I'd still prefer the website and message to be on the black bit above the windows but having seen a Black Cats Streetlite the other week, it doesn't look that bad.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Jul 2017, 7:32 am #32
(05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm)S813 FVK I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!

Full compliment of Streetlites on the 39 service today, while 5479 has also entered service today on the 2/2A.

The displaced Scania L94 have not yet made it to services 38 and 61, with the latter service still being allocated a full compliment of gold Citaro.
Dan
06 Jul 2017, 7:32 am #32

(05 Jul 2017, 4:43 pm)S813 FVK I'm a massive fan too, they are first spare vehicles not to carry some sort of promotional livery to gain the feature blobs!

Full compliment of Streetlites on the 39 service today, while 5479 has also entered service today on the 2/2A.

The displaced Scania L94 have not yet made it to services 38 and 61, with the latter service still being allocated a full compliment of gold Citaro.

Michael

06 Jul 2017, 8:25 am #33

The black bit should say..

"Service every 7 minutes along Chester road to Ryhope road? via City Centre on services 2/2A and 39" as suggested before on here.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Jul 2017, 8:25 am #33

The black bit should say..

"Service every 7 minutes along Chester road to Ryhope road? via City Centre on services 2/2A and 39" as suggested before on here.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

06 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm #34
NSA symbol non existent on the rear of the Crusader Mercs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/3558...ateposted/
S813 FVK
06 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm #34

NSA symbol non existent on the rear of the Crusader Mercs:

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm #35
(06 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm)S813 FVK NSA symbol non existent on the rear of the Crusader Mercs:

Yes - done purposely...

The rear would look far too cluttered if there was a NSA feature symbol on the rear too. The biggest selling points for Go North East are the Wi-Fi/USB sockets, which is why these two (out of the three) were chosen. It's unlikely that anyone following the bus in a car would decide to ditch the car and get the bus, just because it has Next Stop Announcements. Wi-Fi and USB sockets are possibly more likely.
Dan
06 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm #35

(06 Jul 2017, 5:01 pm)S813 FVK NSA symbol non existent on the rear of the Crusader Mercs:

Yes - done purposely...

The rear would look far too cluttered if there was a NSA feature symbol on the rear too. The biggest selling points for Go North East are the Wi-Fi/USB sockets, which is why these two (out of the three) were chosen. It's unlikely that anyone following the bus in a car would decide to ditch the car and get the bus, just because it has Next Stop Announcements. Wi-Fi and USB sockets are possibly more likely.

S813 FVK

06 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm #36
(06 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm)Dan Yes - done purposely...

Good job I didn't create any irony by replying to Michael's post which would have been that I think the Streetlites would look cluttered with the suggested details added!

The main thoughts that I have when it comes to the feature symbols is consistency. Obviously, in cases like this, part of that consistency has to be sacrificed because of perfectly understandable reasons. I do agree that it would make the rear look cluttered, I just wouldn't have been able to (and didn't!) spot it as quickly compared to if I had seen a graphic drawing of the rear with all 3 symbols on it, which I imagine would have been the case and would have helped enable the decision not to include it on the final 'product'.

You have also explained in the past that the reason the corporate liveried vehicles had not gained the symbols is because Go North East did not stock them personally, has this now changed with 5479/80 receiving them?
S813 FVK
06 Jul 2017, 8:07 pm #36

(06 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm)Dan Yes - done purposely...

Good job I didn't create any irony by replying to Michael's post which would have been that I think the Streetlites would look cluttered with the suggested details added!

The main thoughts that I have when it comes to the feature symbols is consistency. Obviously, in cases like this, part of that consistency has to be sacrificed because of perfectly understandable reasons. I do agree that it would make the rear look cluttered, I just wouldn't have been able to (and didn't!) spot it as quickly compared to if I had seen a graphic drawing of the rear with all 3 symbols on it, which I imagine would have been the case and would have helped enable the decision not to include it on the final 'product'.

You have also explained in the past that the reason the corporate liveried vehicles had not gained the symbols is because Go North East did not stock them personally, has this now changed with 5479/80 receiving them?

07 Jul 2017, 10:38 am #37
Is Riversides 559 ever used on public service ?
Coppercap40
07 Jul 2017, 10:38 am #37

Is Riversides 559 ever used on public service ?

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Jul 2017, 11:39 am #38
(07 Jul 2017, 10:38 am)Coppercap40 Is Riversides 559 ever used on public service ?

Yes - on the Byker ASDA Free Bus service, which runs onto the 16:55 and 17:20 554 journeys.
Dan
07 Jul 2017, 11:39 am #38

(07 Jul 2017, 10:38 am)Coppercap40 Is Riversides 559 ever used on public service ?

Yes - on the Byker ASDA Free Bus service, which runs onto the 16:55 and 17:20 554 journeys.

07 Jul 2017, 12:02 pm #39
Many thanks
Coppercap40
07 Jul 2017, 12:02 pm #39

Many thanks

JP6004

07 Jul 2017, 4:29 pm #40
(04 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm)South Tyne Lad Most definitely, Due to the B9TL having 2x 235L Tanks which adds up to 470L, With the B5 only having a capacity of up to 250L's in a single tank.

Im sure when the news broke on GNE site. It said that a larger engine and higher capacity fuel tank so tge B9s could do more trips without being refuelled. Along with wifi and plugs

Think as part of the consultation there was mention of tables and hot drinks machines also
JP6004
07 Jul 2017, 4:29 pm #40

(04 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm)South Tyne Lad Most definitely, Due to the B9TL having 2x 235L Tanks which adds up to 470L, With the B5 only having a capacity of up to 250L's in a single tank.

Im sure when the news broke on GNE site. It said that a larger engine and higher capacity fuel tank so tge B9s could do more trips without being refuelled. Along with wifi and plugs

Think as part of the consultation there was mention of tables and hot drinks machines also

Pages (14): Previous 1 2 314 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average