Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Pricing

Pricing

Pricing

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (89): Previous 153 54 5589 Next
Adrian

15 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm #1,061
(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.

I've done the same with the QR code tickets. It is brilliant how they speed up boarding too. Certainly a lot quicker than the old Go n Save cards were, or even the Key card for that matter. Perhaps comparable with the speed Oyster cards are read.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm #1,061

(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.
It didn't work. The machine pinged an error and I was forced to use the correct ticket.

I've done the same with the QR code tickets. It is brilliant how they speed up boarding too. Certainly a lot quicker than the old Go n Save cards were, or even the Key card for that matter. Perhaps comparable with the speed Oyster cards are read.

15 Apr 2018, 5:45 pm #1,062
(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

Yes, day tickets should be 24 hour tickets, but will it ever be a reality? Definitely possible, and can't see any reason not too.

Exactly. Yes, getting around on a Sunday takes more planning than weekdays IMO. My point exactly, same fare but less service, makes no sense to me personally.
OrangeArrow49
15 Apr 2018, 5:45 pm #1,062

(15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm)Adrian IMO all 'day' tickets should be 24 hour tickets. With the use of new technology like mTicketing and QR code tickets, there is no reason why this could not happen. A lot less chance of fraud (or driver error when examining the ticket) when the technology is providing the validation for you.

I'd also say multi-trip tickets should be reduced on a Sunday and Bank Holiday, to reflect the level of service you have on those days. I find it easy enough to get around with Sunday service if you plan properly, but I kind of resent paying the same fare as I do on a Saturday.

Yes, day tickets should be 24 hour tickets, but will it ever be a reality? Definitely possible, and can't see any reason not too.

Exactly. Yes, getting around on a Sunday takes more planning than weekdays IMO. My point exactly, same fare but less service, makes no sense to me personally.

15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm #1,063
(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.

That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.
OrangeArrow49
15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm #1,063

(15 Apr 2018, 1:48 pm)Andreos1 I recently had need to buy a Day Rover and 3 Zone plus on consecutive days. 
It was an expensive two days, operators could easily have saved me a considerable amount of money, if the ticket was available for 24 hours.

To prove your point about the technology, I accidentally picked the wrong ticket out of my wallet at one point on the second day.

That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm #1,064
(15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm)OrangeArrow49 That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.

It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.
Ironically, the travel on the second day was completed within 24hrs of the first day. 

Certainly an expensive two days, which could have been a lot cheaper.
I would consider paying a small premium for a 24hr ticket, as long as it showed a clear saving between the current equivalant.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm #1,064

(15 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm)OrangeArrow49 That is an expensive two days actually. Do you mean a Day Rover and 3 zone plus on both days, or Day Rover one day and 3 zone plus the other? Yes, 24 hour tickets would be very useful, and I see no reason to not introduce them, replacing day tickets.

It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.
Ironically, the travel on the second day was completed within 24hrs of the first day. 

I would consider paying a small premium for a 24hr ticket, as long as it showed a clear saving between the current equivalant.

15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm #1,065
(15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm)Andreos1 It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.

Yes, public transport fares are expensive. How could it have been cheaper?
As you required two different tickets for the consecutive 24 hours, a 24 hour ticket wouldn't have been any use in this case. I guess the Day Rover would cover most of the zones required on the second day.

Maybe a 24 hour ticket is too much of a saving and would reduce the profits made by the operators too much. 24 hour tickets should definitely be issued on an evening, or just singles and returns issued, because a day ticket costing the same morning, afternoon and evening is rather illogical. I would definitely like to see 24 hour tickets introduced by all operators. The operators would lose out if you then didn't need any tickets for the second day, but possibly a 24 hour ticket could be more expensive than a current day ticket, but less than it would cost for two consecutive day tickets.

I would also like a new ticket introduced for regular travel on the same day/s each week. If you travel every Monday, a 7 consecutive Mondays ticket would be more useful than a weekly, monthly or annual ticket. We have lots of ticket options to save money when travelling regularly within a week, month and year, but not regularly once a week. I don't know why this is not an option to be honest. I don't have a name for it yet, but I think it would be a useful ticket.
Edited 15 Apr 2018, 7:48 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm #1,065

(15 Apr 2018, 7:17 pm)Andreos1 It was a Day Rover one day. The other, a 3 Zone Plus.

As you required two different tickets for the consecutive 24 hours, a 24 hour ticket wouldn't have been any use in this case. I guess the Day Rover would cover most of the zones required on the second day.

Maybe a 24 hour ticket is too much of a saving and would reduce the profits made by the operators too much. 24 hour tickets should definitely be issued on an evening, or just singles and returns issued, because a day ticket costing the same morning, afternoon and evening is rather illogical. I would definitely like to see 24 hour tickets introduced by all operators. The operators would lose out if you then didn't need any tickets for the second day, but possibly a 24 hour ticket could be more expensive than a current day ticket, but less than it would cost for two consecutive day tickets.

I would also like a new ticket introduced for regular travel on the same day/s each week. If you travel every Monday, a 7 consecutive Mondays ticket would be more useful than a weekly, monthly or annual ticket. We have lots of ticket options to save money when travelling regularly within a week, month and year, but not regularly once a week. I don't know why this is not an option to be honest. I don't have a name for it yet, but I think it would be a useful ticket.

Andreos1

15 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm #1,066
(15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 I think 

I could have bought a 24hr Explorer or adapted my travel, not used the metro on one day and bought a 24hr 3 Zone plus.
Part of my trip was in Co Durham.

I do think a pricing structure which involved a small premium, but ensured it was cheaper than buying two tickets could attract growth.

£10 for a 3 zone plus? A significant saving over buying two day tickets.
There's no guaranteeing the passenger will utilise it's full capabilities over both days, but is attractive enough to encourage travel that may not have been otherwise made. The latter being something operators crave.
Edited 15 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm #1,066

(15 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm)OrangeArrow49 I think 

I could have bought a 24hr Explorer or adapted my travel, not used the metro on one day and bought a 24hr 3 Zone plus.
Part of my trip was in Co Durham.

I do think a pricing structure which involved a small premium, but ensured it was cheaper than buying two tickets could attract growth.

£10 for a 3 zone plus? A significant saving over buying two day tickets.
There's no guaranteeing the passenger will utilise it's full capabilities over both days, but is attractive enough to encourage travel that may not have been otherwise made. The latter being something operators crave.

mb134

15 Apr 2018, 10:59 pm #1,067
I think even split day return tickets would be a good start.

Nightshift staff, for example, would have to buy one return rather than two singles, and may be more inclined to use the bus if they don't already. Same could be said for airport buses, people going for nights out, etc...
mb134
15 Apr 2018, 10:59 pm #1,067

I think even split day return tickets would be a good start.

Nightshift staff, for example, would have to buy one return rather than two singles, and may be more inclined to use the bus if they don't already. Same could be said for airport buses, people going for nights out, etc...

Adrian

16 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm #1,068
Speaking of Explorers and such... price changes from the 29th -

Explorer Pricing
Adult £10.00 £10.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £7.00 £5.50
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £20.00 (no change)

Day Rover Pricing
Adult £7.20 £7.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £3.60 £3.80
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £15.00 (no change)

http://networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/pricing/

Its worth noting that this will take the Explorer over the £10 contactless limit set by Go North East, as they don't follow the national limit. 
Arriva wouldn't be affected, as they use the national limit of £30. Stagecoach also use the national £30 limit.

Adrian
16 Apr 2018, 9:36 pm #1,068

Speaking of Explorers and such... price changes from the 29th -

Explorer Pricing
Adult £10.00 £10.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £7.00 £5.50
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £20.00 (no change)

Day Rover Pricing
Adult £7.20 £7.50
Child (15 or under) – One Day* £3.60 £3.80
Family (1 or 2 Adults & up to 3 Children) – One Day* £15.00 (no change)

http://networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/pricing/

Its worth noting that this will take the Explorer over the £10 contactless limit set by Go North East, as they don't follow the national limit. 
Arriva wouldn't be affected, as they use the national limit of £30. Stagecoach also use the national £30 limit.

20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm #1,069
Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.
Edited 20 Apr 2018, 7:13 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm #1,069

Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.

Mark1

20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm #1,070
(20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.

I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.
Mark1
20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm #1,070

(20 Apr 2018, 7:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Does anyone know if fares on Nexus services are increasing as Nexus are increasing prices for Network 1 Explorers and Day Rovers?

Thanks.

I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.

21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am #1,071
(20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm)Mark1 I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.

Thanks, Mark.

I believe a Blue Zone Day Buzzfare is valid on all services to Gateshead Interchange and the Metrocentre as they are in the Blue and Purple Zones. Anyone confirm?
OrangeArrow49
21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am #1,071

(20 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm)Mark1 I don't think it's necessarily nexus who are increasing the fares. Network one is a partnership between nexus and the bus operators.

Thanks, Mark.

I believe a Blue Zone Day Buzzfare is valid on all services to Gateshead Interchange and the Metrocentre as they are in the Blue and Purple Zones. Anyone confirm?

LVK 404L

21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am #1,072
(21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am)OrangeArrow49 Thanks, Mark.

Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.
LVK 404L
21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am #1,072

(21 Apr 2018, 12:25 am)OrangeArrow49 Thanks, Mark.

Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.

21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am #1,073
(21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am)ifm001 Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.

I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.
OrangeArrow49
21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am #1,073

(21 Apr 2018, 6:29 am)ifm001 Look on the GNE buzzfare zone map online. All of tho info is on there.

I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.

Jamie M

Unregistered

21 Apr 2018, 11:25 am #1,074
(21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am)OrangeArrow49 I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.

If you stay within the respective zone boundaries.
Jamie M
21 Apr 2018, 11:25 am #1,074

(21 Apr 2018, 9:54 am)OrangeArrow49 I have done and I know the Metrocentre is within the Blue and Purple Zones. My question is can I use all GNE buses for the Metrocentre with a Blue or Purple Zone (not both)? Thanks.

If you stay within the respective zone boundaries.

27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm #1,075
How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.
OrangeArrow49
27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm #1,075

How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.

Jamie M

Unregistered

27 Apr 2018, 5:12 pm #1,076
(27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...202008.pdf

nexus The price varies depending upon the operator, as this is a commercial, not concessionary ticket

Which routes?
Jamie M
27 Apr 2018, 5:12 pm #1,076

(27 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm)OrangeArrow49 How many Transfare zones is Kingston Park - Jarrow and how much would it cost for a return journey?

Thank you for your help.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...202008.pdf

nexus The price varies depending upon the operator, as this is a commercial, not concessionary ticket

Which routes?

27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm #1,077
Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

I didn't know the price varied by operator. I can get Stagecoach, GNE or Stanley Travel (Nexus) between home and the City Centre and the Metro to and from Jarrow (for example) or get the Metro between Kingston Park and the City Centre and GNE 26/27 to/from Jarrow.
OrangeArrow49
27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm #1,077

Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

I didn't know the price varied by operator. I can get Stagecoach, GNE or Stanley Travel (Nexus) between home and the City Centre and the Metro to and from Jarrow (for example) or get the Metro between Kingston Park and the City Centre and GNE 26/27 to/from Jarrow.

Jamie M

Unregistered

27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm #1,078
(27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones  (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!
Jamie M
27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm #1,078

(27 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Usually a Day Rover seems better value than a Transfare.

Go North East is £4.40 for all zones (so £8.80 in total) and £3.70 for two zones  (so £7.40 in total). A Day Rover is only £7.20 and going up to £7.50 for unlimited Tyne & Wear travel.

Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!

27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm #1,079
(27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm)Jamie M Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!

Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

I wonder if anyone has ever done the full 42A route from the Airport to North Shields?!
OrangeArrow49
27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm #1,079

(27 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm)Jamie M Metro will be quicker than bus like. The crusaders have to go by Hebburn etc. If you want a day out, get the 42A to North Shields, then a 5 to Jarrow. Might take you a bit but it'll pass you through a lot of different scenery!

Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

I wonder if anyone has ever done the full 42A route from the Airport to North Shields?!

Jamie M

Unregistered

27 Apr 2018, 6:17 pm #1,080
(27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

Starts at Kingston Park, I've only gotten a few stops between Wallsend and North Shields before, even that somehow takes 40 minutes or so. But the 353 was a nice ride out, so I'd imagine still is now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
27 Apr 2018, 6:17 pm #1,080

(27 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm)OrangeArrow49 Yes, the Crusaders take a long time compared to the Metro. So my research tells me a Day Rover works out better for all zones and usually two zones. Particularly as the Return Transfare would be purchased from a different operator (Metro rather than bus). 

Starts at Kingston Park, I've only gotten a few stops between Wallsend and North Shields before, even that somehow takes 40 minutes or so. But the 353 was a nice ride out, so I'd imagine still is now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pages (89): Previous 153 54 5589 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average