Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Driving

Driving

Driving

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Mobbsy

28 May 2014, 6:44 pm #1
I am in my fifties and thinking of applying to GNE to be a bus driver.

My question is....would anyone recommend it?
Mobbsy
28 May 2014, 6:44 pm #1

I am in my fifties and thinking of applying to GNE to be a bus driver.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 May 2014, 6:50 pm #2
(28 May 2014, 6:44 pm)Mobbsy I am in my fifties and thinking of applying to GNE to be a bus driver.

Given that you've signed up to an enthusiasts' forum, I'm going to assume you actually like buses.
I think some of the best bus drivers are the ones who actually like them. The ones that have a genuine interest in the company and the fleet appear to be more motivated and hard-working.

If you feel that you'll be either of those two qualities, please do apply! We need another friendly driver on the streets. Which depot would you go for?
Dan
28 May 2014, 6:50 pm #2

(28 May 2014, 6:44 pm)Mobbsy I am in my fifties and thinking of applying to GNE to be a bus driver.

Given that you've signed up to an enthusiasts' forum, I'm going to assume you actually like buses.
I think some of the best bus drivers are the ones who actually like them. The ones that have a genuine interest in the company and the fleet appear to be more motivated and hard-working.

If you feel that you'll be either of those two qualities, please do apply! We need another friendly driver on the streets. Which depot would you go for?

Mobbsy

28 May 2014, 6:59 pm #3
Thanks; yes, I have been fascinated by buses all my life and I would be genuinely excited about the prospect of driving them.

I would go for either Hexham or Gateshead Riverside
Mobbsy
28 May 2014, 6:59 pm #3

Thanks; yes, I have been fascinated by buses all my life and I would be genuinely excited about the prospect of driving them.

Dan

Site Administrator

28 May 2014, 7:08 pm #4
(28 May 2014, 6:59 pm)Mobbsy Thanks; yes, I have been fascinated by buses all my life and I would be genuinely excited about the prospect of driving them.

I'd suggest Hexham, providing there are vacancies. From what I've heard, the smaller depots are - as cheesy as it sounds - more like little families.

Good luck if you do decide to go for it!
Dan
28 May 2014, 7:08 pm #4

(28 May 2014, 6:59 pm)Mobbsy Thanks; yes, I have been fascinated by buses all my life and I would be genuinely excited about the prospect of driving them.

I'd suggest Hexham, providing there are vacancies. From what I've heard, the smaller depots are - as cheesy as it sounds - more like little families.

Adrian

28 May 2014, 7:31 pm #5
One of my friends worked for GNE for a while, and he said he'd go back tomorrow if it wasn't for the shifts, and speaks highly of them as a company. My impression is that a handful of drivers seem to dislike their job, which reflects a bad image of the company to customers. As he says though, any job is only as hard as you make it for yourself.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 May 2014, 7:31 pm #5

One of my friends worked for GNE for a while, and he said he'd go back tomorrow if it wasn't for the shifts, and speaks highly of them as a company. My impression is that a handful of drivers seem to dislike their job, which reflects a bad image of the company to customers. As he says though, any job is only as hard as you make it for yourself.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Tom

28 May 2014, 9:16 pm #6
I'd love to be a bus driver someday - I'd like to drive for either Riverside, Percy Main or Chester-le-Street
Tom
28 May 2014, 9:16 pm #6

I'd love to be a bus driver someday - I'd like to drive for either Riverside, Percy Main or Chester-le-Street

28 May 2014, 10:07 pm #7
(28 May 2014, 9:16 pm)Tom I'd love to be a bus driver someday - I'd like to drive for either Riverside, Percy Main or Chester-le-Street

I intend to drive for Chester when I'm older, after university because an 18 year old doesn't have much of a chance when compared to someone in their 20s. I hope to become a leading driver or something after a few years, and just to make sure I get a nice variety; possibly even some National Express coach work.

I know all of Chester's routes (as sad as it sounds) and Crook's; and I think it's stupid to see something like that go to waste.

Mobbsy - If your hearts in it; go for it! Smile
R852 PRG
28 May 2014, 10:07 pm #7

(28 May 2014, 9:16 pm)Tom I'd love to be a bus driver someday - I'd like to drive for either Riverside, Percy Main or Chester-le-Street

I intend to drive for Chester when I'm older, after university because an 18 year old doesn't have much of a chance when compared to someone in their 20s. I hope to become a leading driver or something after a few years, and just to make sure I get a nice variety; possibly even some National Express coach work.

I know all of Chester's routes (as sad as it sounds) and Crook's; and I think it's stupid to see something like that go to waste.

Tom

28 May 2014, 10:20 pm #8
(28 May 2014, 10:07 pm)Marcus I intend to drive for Chester when I'm older, after university because an 18 year old doesn't have much of a chance when compared to someone in their 20s. I hope to become a leading driver or something after a few years, and just to make sure I get a nice variety; possibly even some National Express coach work.

I probably wouldn't bother with university - more likely college. It's nothing to do with the money, it's just that what's the point if I want to be a bus driver?
Tom
28 May 2014, 10:20 pm #8

(28 May 2014, 10:07 pm)Marcus I intend to drive for Chester when I'm older, after university because an 18 year old doesn't have much of a chance when compared to someone in their 20s. I hope to become a leading driver or something after a few years, and just to make sure I get a nice variety; possibly even some National Express coach work.

I probably wouldn't bother with university - more likely college. It's nothing to do with the money, it's just that what's the point if I want to be a bus driver?

Dan

Site Administrator

28 May 2014, 10:23 pm #9
(28 May 2014, 10:20 pm)Tom I probably wouldn't bother with university - more likely college. It's nothing to do with the money, it's just that what's the point if I want to be a bus driver?

In case you want to go for a management role within the company later in your life..just thinking about a few at GNE who started off on depot level?
Dan
28 May 2014, 10:23 pm #9

(28 May 2014, 10:20 pm)Tom I probably wouldn't bother with university - more likely college. It's nothing to do with the money, it's just that what's the point if I want to be a bus driver?

In case you want to go for a management role within the company later in your life..just thinking about a few at GNE who started off on depot level?

Tom

28 May 2014, 10:25 pm #10
(28 May 2014, 10:23 pm)Dan In case you want to go for a management role within the company later in your life..just thinking about a few at GNE who started off on depot level?

Suppose so - I'd love to be in the management role Smile
Tom
28 May 2014, 10:25 pm #10

(28 May 2014, 10:23 pm)Dan In case you want to go for a management role within the company later in your life..just thinking about a few at GNE who started off on depot level?

Suppose so - I'd love to be in the management role Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

28 May 2014, 10:27 pm #11
(28 May 2014, 10:25 pm)Tom Suppose so - I'd love to be in the management role Smile

Of course it's not a requirement, but I'd imagine it would put you at an advantage over another applicant if you had a degree in Business or whatever else.
Dan
28 May 2014, 10:27 pm #11

(28 May 2014, 10:25 pm)Tom Suppose so - I'd love to be in the management role Smile

Of course it's not a requirement, but I'd imagine it would put you at an advantage over another applicant if you had a degree in Business or whatever else.

28 May 2014, 10:36 pm #12

That's my plan. Ten years on the road - get the experience, then start in the offices. Hopefully if I make a career with GNE, possibly management with Riverside. Maybe allocator? Tongue
R852 PRG
28 May 2014, 10:36 pm #12

That's my plan. Ten years on the road - get the experience, then start in the offices. Hopefully if I make a career with GNE, possibly management with Riverside. Maybe allocator? Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

28 May 2014, 10:37 pm #13
(28 May 2014, 10:36 pm)Marcus That's my plan. Ten years on the road - get the experience, then start in the offices. Hopefully if I make a career with GNE, possibly management with Riverside. Maybe allocator? Tongue

Aim for Bensham!
Dan
28 May 2014, 10:37 pm #13

(28 May 2014, 10:36 pm)Marcus That's my plan. Ten years on the road - get the experience, then start in the offices. Hopefully if I make a career with GNE, possibly management with Riverside. Maybe allocator? Tongue

Aim for Bensham!

Tom

28 May 2014, 10:38 pm #14
(28 May 2014, 10:37 pm)Dan Aim for Bensham!

I'd love to have my own company ideally.
Tom
28 May 2014, 10:38 pm #14

I'd love to have my own company ideally.

28 May 2014, 10:40 pm #15

I'd never want to drift far from Chester. The furthest I'd want to go would be PA to a senior official in Bensham.
R852 PRG
28 May 2014, 10:40 pm #15

I'd never want to drift far from Chester. The furthest I'd want to go would be PA to a senior official in Bensham.

MurdnunoC

29 May 2014, 11:08 am #16
I know a few drivers who work for Go North East - most of whom I've worked with a previous capacity. I wouldn't describe any of them as enthusiasts and, judging by their Facebook status, none of them seem to particularly enjoy what they do as they tend to whinge about work a lot. That being said, the drivers I know have been employed by GNE for quite some time - so I guess it can't be all bad.

Being an enthusiast probably helps, however, I can imagine that driving the same routes day after day might prove to be a bit monotonous. If you like a bit of variety in your day then driving a bus may not be for you.
MurdnunoC
29 May 2014, 11:08 am #16

I know a few drivers who work for Go North East - most of whom I've worked with a previous capacity. I wouldn't describe any of them as enthusiasts and, judging by their Facebook status, none of them seem to particularly enjoy what they do as they tend to whinge about work a lot. That being said, the drivers I know have been employed by GNE for quite some time - so I guess it can't be all bad.

Being an enthusiast probably helps, however, I can imagine that driving the same routes day after day might prove to be a bit monotonous. If you like a bit of variety in your day then driving a bus may not be for you.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2014, 11:13 am #17
(28 May 2014, 10:38 pm)Tom I'd love to have my own company ideally.

Didn't see this last night.

I know a woman who used to work for Stagecoach in Sunderland, and she has been a dear family friend since before I was born. Although she's not an enthusiast as such (she can name the buses and has favourites, but still not an enthusiast), she enjoyed driving buses so much that she's gone down south to set up her own bus company. She was on the top driver wages for being at Stagecoach for so long too.

I don't know how she's getting on, but her husband (who also worked for Stagecoach Sunderland) has gone with her. Shows anything is possible, once you've gathered enough experience.
Dan
29 May 2014, 11:13 am #17

(28 May 2014, 10:38 pm)Tom I'd love to have my own company ideally.

Didn't see this last night.

I know a woman who used to work for Stagecoach in Sunderland, and she has been a dear family friend since before I was born. Although she's not an enthusiast as such (she can name the buses and has favourites, but still not an enthusiast), she enjoyed driving buses so much that she's gone down south to set up her own bus company. She was on the top driver wages for being at Stagecoach for so long too.

I don't know how she's getting on, but her husband (who also worked for Stagecoach Sunderland) has gone with her. Shows anything is possible, once you've gathered enough experience.

29 May 2014, 11:30 am #18
(29 May 2014, 11:08 am)AdamY I know a few drivers who work for Go North East - most of whom I've worked with a previous capacity. I wouldn't describe any of them as enthusiasts and, judging by their Facebook status, none of them seem to particularly enjoy what they do as they tend to whinge about work a lot. That being said, the drivers I know have been employed by GNE for quite some time - so I guess it can't be all bad.

I would only be comfortable driving with GNE if I could also do half-days on Scholars, coach work for National Express, occasional work in the offices or cover on more senior roles than 'driver'. Possibly miscellaneous is what I'm looking for?

Also, I wouldn't want to be based anywhere other than Chester, but that being said I wouldn't mind helping out at places like Stanley or Riverside; seeing as I know a few of their routes. Washington doesn't sound like a bad place either, I vaguely know the X1 route.
R852 PRG
29 May 2014, 11:30 am #18

(29 May 2014, 11:08 am)AdamY I know a few drivers who work for Go North East - most of whom I've worked with a previous capacity. I wouldn't describe any of them as enthusiasts and, judging by their Facebook status, none of them seem to particularly enjoy what they do as they tend to whinge about work a lot. That being said, the drivers I know have been employed by GNE for quite some time - so I guess it can't be all bad.

I would only be comfortable driving with GNE if I could also do half-days on Scholars, coach work for National Express, occasional work in the offices or cover on more senior roles than 'driver'. Possibly miscellaneous is what I'm looking for?

Also, I wouldn't want to be based anywhere other than Chester, but that being said I wouldn't mind helping out at places like Stanley or Riverside; seeing as I know a few of their routes. Washington doesn't sound like a bad place either, I vaguely know the X1 route.

29 May 2014, 3:04 pm #19
(28 May 2014, 7:08 pm)Dan I'd suggest Hexham, providing there are vacancies. From what I've heard, the smaller depots are - as cheesy as it sounds - more like little families.

I love the way a small depot sounds. I can't imagine Hexham being staffed by more than 30 odd people? citaro5284 will know.

About a year ago I asked a PA at Chester about how many people actually worked at Chester, and she said there were 20 engineers, 13 clerical staff and 187 drivers. That last one blew me away, but I would assume that includes National Express.

Since then, I've noticed several drivers have left Chester, several have joined and a few have just randomly disappeared Tongue. I recall being told by Gary Wheatley that one went to work with a nice independent company in the countryside. I would imagine the amount of drivers would hover around the same number.
R852 PRG
29 May 2014, 3:04 pm #19

(28 May 2014, 7:08 pm)Dan I'd suggest Hexham, providing there are vacancies. From what I've heard, the smaller depots are - as cheesy as it sounds - more like little families.

I love the way a small depot sounds. I can't imagine Hexham being staffed by more than 30 odd people? citaro5284 will know.

About a year ago I asked a PA at Chester about how many people actually worked at Chester, and she said there were 20 engineers, 13 clerical staff and 187 drivers. That last one blew me away, but I would assume that includes National Express.

Since then, I've noticed several drivers have left Chester, several have joined and a few have just randomly disappeared Tongue. I recall being told by Gary Wheatley that one went to work with a nice independent company in the countryside. I would imagine the amount of drivers would hover around the same number.

citaro5284

29 May 2014, 6:39 pm #20
(29 May 2014, 3:04 pm)Marcus About a year ago I asked a PA at Chester about how many people actually worked at Chester, and she said there were 20 engineers, 13 clerical staff and 187 drivers. That last one blew me away, but I would assume that includes National Express.

Just to give you an idea, the amount of drivers we need at each location is:

Chester - 166, Coaching - 66, Consett - 23, Deptford - 320, Riverside - 406, Hexham - 43, Percy Main - 188, Peterlee - 33, Saltmeadows - 62, Stanley - 133, Washington - 146
citaro5284
29 May 2014, 6:39 pm #20

(29 May 2014, 3:04 pm)Marcus About a year ago I asked a PA at Chester about how many people actually worked at Chester, and she said there were 20 engineers, 13 clerical staff and 187 drivers. That last one blew me away, but I would assume that includes National Express.

Just to give you an idea, the amount of drivers we need at each location is:

Chester - 166, Coaching - 66, Consett - 23, Deptford - 320, Riverside - 406, Hexham - 43, Percy Main - 188, Peterlee - 33, Saltmeadows - 62, Stanley - 133, Washington - 146

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average