Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Late running records

Late running records

Late running records

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (17) 1 2 317 Next
L469 YVK

28 May 2014, 7:58 pm #1
Anyone got any records for buses running late but haven't been taken out of service. I looked at the Arriva app tonight and an X21 was running 39 minutes late. I don't know if there was an error but blimey!

Here's one for starters. One cold and rainy night back in November, Newcastle was gridlocked and none of the Coast Road services showed up for a short while from either GNE or Arriva. The 1623 308 didn't show up neither did the 1635 306. The queue for stand L was more like a match night and just before 1645, the 1623 showed and left a couple of minutes later looking like a can of sardines! I knew not to get on that one and waited in good faith for the 1643 to show which it did and left at 1655. At about 1730, I was on the 1643 and passed the 1623 service at the Silverlink. We eventually got to Rake Lane at 1740 and as I was walking from there, the 1623 showed up 50 minutes later than scheduled.
L469 YVK
28 May 2014, 7:58 pm #1

Anyone got any records for buses running late but haven't been taken out of service. I looked at the Arriva app tonight and an X21 was running 39 minutes late. I don't know if there was an error but blimey!

Here's one for starters. One cold and rainy night back in November, Newcastle was gridlocked and none of the Coast Road services showed up for a short while from either GNE or Arriva. The 1623 308 didn't show up neither did the 1635 306. The queue for stand L was more like a match night and just before 1645, the 1623 showed and left a couple of minutes later looking like a can of sardines! I knew not to get on that one and waited in good faith for the 1643 to show which it did and left at 1655. At about 1730, I was on the 1643 and passed the 1623 service at the Silverlink. We eventually got to Rake Lane at 1740 and as I was walking from there, the 1623 showed up 50 minutes later than scheduled.

Adrian

28 May 2014, 8:01 pm #2
Operators choose not to publish this data in full. Funny that. Under QCS, this data would be available for release under the Freedom of Information Act.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 May 2014, 8:01 pm #2

Operators choose not to publish this data in full. Funny that. Under QCS, this data would be available for release under the Freedom of Information Act.

28 May 2014, 8:53 pm #3
Arriva have publicly (on social media) stated that whilst the live app is a useful tool, it isn't the be all and end all.

The GPS data from the bus for example, has co-ordinates that are sent around every 20 seconds to the server, which then matches the bus to the right journey and plots it on the map for the end user. Its not a direct data connection between bus and your app.

However, this can be fooled if the driver incorrectly selects the wrong trip on the wayfarer - it will show the bus as silly late when it is actually on time, as the server thinks it is operating trip 14 of the day, when it is actually operating trip 15.

It can also be incorrect if the trip assignment at the server end is also incorrect - either with an out of date schedule on the server against a bus running to a revised schedule. This is more likely to happen when recent changes have occurred to the timetable however.
Edited 28 May 2014, 8:55 pm by VolvoMarkII.
VolvoMarkII
28 May 2014, 8:53 pm #3

Arriva have publicly (on social media) stated that whilst the live app is a useful tool, it isn't the be all and end all.

The GPS data from the bus for example, has co-ordinates that are sent around every 20 seconds to the server, which then matches the bus to the right journey and plots it on the map for the end user. Its not a direct data connection between bus and your app.

However, this can be fooled if the driver incorrectly selects the wrong trip on the wayfarer - it will show the bus as silly late when it is actually on time, as the server thinks it is operating trip 14 of the day, when it is actually operating trip 15.

It can also be incorrect if the trip assignment at the server end is also incorrect - either with an out of date schedule on the server against a bus running to a revised schedule. This is more likely to happen when recent changes have occurred to the timetable however.

tyresmoke

28 May 2014, 9:10 pm #4
I remember the night when the Coca Cola truck came to the big Tesco Extra Stockton, and succeeded in gridlocking the whole area. I was waiting for a 37 in Stockton which eventually showed up 45 mins late... Operated to James Cook Hospital then went through to Park End and then basically drop off only all the way to Stockton and tried to get to North Tees Hospital to drop one passenger off, only to get stuck in traffic again.... in the end they gave up and walked so by the time I got back to Stockton to finish my shift I handed it over 30 mins late to the evening driver. Successful night that was.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
28 May 2014, 9:10 pm #4

I remember the night when the Coca Cola truck came to the big Tesco Extra Stockton, and succeeded in gridlocking the whole area. I was waiting for a 37 in Stockton which eventually showed up 45 mins late... Operated to James Cook Hospital then went through to Park End and then basically drop off only all the way to Stockton and tried to get to North Tees Hospital to drop one passenger off, only to get stuck in traffic again.... in the end they gave up and walked so by the time I got back to Stockton to finish my shift I handed it over 30 mins late to the evening driver. Successful night that was.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Jimmi

28 May 2014, 10:09 pm #5
I remember once seeing Service 8 Darlington - Spennymoor running over 50 minutes late once due to roadworks at Beaumont Hill in Darlington.

Also remember once getting Service 7 for Framwellgate Moor and The Honest Lawyer was flooded and it took us 1 hour 15 minutes to get to the Coach and Horses then we had to turn round at the roundabout and it took us about 20 minutes to get back to Thinford roundabout. After over 90 minutes on a horrid Dart I decided I'd had enough, so I walked to Ferryhill Market Place and caught Service 35 to Bishop Auckland which then changed to the 5/5A to Newton Aycliffe.
Jimmi
28 May 2014, 10:09 pm #5

I remember once seeing Service 8 Darlington - Spennymoor running over 50 minutes late once due to roadworks at Beaumont Hill in Darlington.

Also remember once getting Service 7 for Framwellgate Moor and The Honest Lawyer was flooded and it took us 1 hour 15 minutes to get to the Coach and Horses then we had to turn round at the roundabout and it took us about 20 minutes to get back to Thinford roundabout. After over 90 minutes on a horrid Dart I decided I'd had enough, so I walked to Ferryhill Market Place and caught Service 35 to Bishop Auckland which then changed to the 5/5A to Newton Aycliffe.

29 May 2014, 11:37 am #6
Years ago I was on the X5 and it broke down in Springwell Village. All the other passengers got on the next Express to come along as they were all heading to Washington.

When the replacement arrived, I was the only passenger to board it and the bus went NIS to Peterlee (where I was heading) and ran non-stop via the Sunderland Highway and A19.

Both Vehicles were Spectras.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
29 May 2014, 11:37 am #6

Years ago I was on the X5 and it broke down in Springwell Village. All the other passengers got on the next Express to come along as they were all heading to Washington.

When the replacement arrived, I was the only passenger to board it and the bus went NIS to Peterlee (where I was heading) and ran non-stop via the Sunderland Highway and A19.

Both Vehicles were Spectras.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2014, 1:44 pm #7
Think the worst one for me must have been last year, when service 56 took about 40 minutes to cross the Wearmouth Bridge in Sunderland - worst Match Day traffic ever.
Lots of people got off and walked. The driver said no at first, then he gave up refusing and just let them off.

Of course I could also bring up that time when three 56s in a row didn't turn up on a cold Sunday night and I was bed-bound for the following week... I did moan on about that for about a week - was it an hour and a half before a bus turned up? Tongue
Dan
29 May 2014, 1:44 pm #7

Think the worst one for me must have been last year, when service 56 took about 40 minutes to cross the Wearmouth Bridge in Sunderland - worst Match Day traffic ever.
Lots of people got off and walked. The driver said no at first, then he gave up refusing and just let them off.

Of course I could also bring up that time when three 56s in a row didn't turn up on a cold Sunday night and I was bed-bound for the following week... I did moan on about that for about a week - was it an hour and a half before a bus turned up? Tongue

Kuyoyo

29 May 2014, 1:47 pm #8
(29 May 2014, 1:44 pm)Dan Think the worst one for me must have been last year, when service 56 took about 40 minutes to cross the Wearmouth Bridge in Sunderland - worst Match Day traffic ever.

Sometime last year - 1740 X9 left Newcastle bang on time, reached Gateshead 40 minutes later, 30 minutes late!
Kuyoyo
29 May 2014, 1:47 pm #8

(29 May 2014, 1:44 pm)Dan Think the worst one for me must have been last year, when service 56 took about 40 minutes to cross the Wearmouth Bridge in Sunderland - worst Match Day traffic ever.

Sometime last year - 1740 X9 left Newcastle bang on time, reached Gateshead 40 minutes later, 30 minutes late!

29 May 2014, 2:18 pm #9
(29 May 2014, 1:47 pm)Kuyoyo Sometime last year - 1740 X9 left Newcastle bang on time, reached Gateshead 40 minutes later, 30 minutes late!

Match day? Tongue
R852 PRG
29 May 2014, 2:18 pm #9

(29 May 2014, 1:47 pm)Kuyoyo Sometime last year - 1740 X9 left Newcastle bang on time, reached Gateshead 40 minutes later, 30 minutes late!

Match day? Tongue

Kuyoyo

29 May 2014, 2:40 pm #10
(29 May 2014, 2:18 pm)Marcus Match day? Tongue

No, this was a weekday - very rare for me to be anywhere else but Teesside on Saturdays these days and even if I get any further, I'm normally back and on the bus home by that time.
Kuyoyo
29 May 2014, 2:40 pm #10

(29 May 2014, 2:18 pm)Marcus Match day? Tongue

No, this was a weekday - very rare for me to be anywhere else but Teesside on Saturdays these days and even if I get any further, I'm normally back and on the bus home by that time.

Andreos1

29 May 2014, 3:31 pm #11
Can remember waiting for a 21a in Houghton once.

GNE had a habit of not having the full PVR out on a Sunday when it got extended to Peterlee.
No idea if there were staffing issues or vehicle problems, but it happened quite often.

The worst example was watching the bus leave Houghton to go to Peterlee - I was still there when the bus returned from Peterlee.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
29 May 2014, 3:31 pm #11

Can remember waiting for a 21a in Houghton once.

GNE had a habit of not having the full PVR out on a Sunday when it got extended to Peterlee.
No idea if there were staffing issues or vehicle problems, but it happened quite often.

The worst example was watching the bus leave Houghton to go to Peterlee - I was still there when the bus returned from Peterlee.

L469 YVK

29 May 2014, 4:33 pm #12
Here's another one:

- I got the 1633 309 back in September when the students were starting Northumbria and Newcastle Universities respectively. The bus (Omnicity) was quiet. We left on time however, we didn't get to Corner House until 30 minutes later. The driver reported a 35 minute late running via the Radio when we reached Benfield Road. Took an hour to get home for a 39 minute journey. God knows how long that would've taken if the bus was full to the brim.
L469 YVK
29 May 2014, 4:33 pm #12

Here's another one:

- I got the 1633 309 back in September when the students were starting Northumbria and Newcastle Universities respectively. The bus (Omnicity) was quiet. We left on time however, we didn't get to Corner House until 30 minutes later. The driver reported a 35 minute late running via the Radio when we reached Benfield Road. Took an hour to get home for a 39 minute journey. God knows how long that would've taken if the bus was full to the brim.

Adrian

29 May 2014, 4:36 pm #13
Another day, another late GNE bus. 13 minutes late on the 8, and guaranteed to miss my connection.

Adrian
29 May 2014, 4:36 pm #13

Another day, another late GNE bus. 13 minutes late on the 8, and guaranteed to miss my connection.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2014, 4:42 pm #14
(29 May 2014, 4:36 pm)aureolin Another day, another late GNE bus. 13 minutes late on the 8, and guaranteed to miss my connection.

Is it a Stanley-bound one or a Sunderland-bound one?

If it's the latter, I can't provide an excuse for GNE. If it's the former, then it takes them between 10 and 20 minutes to get down the bank on Chester Road from 16:00 to about 17:00 - every weekday, without fail. The roundabout should be controlled by traffic lights and there should be two lanes for the bank and perhaps it wouldn't cause such hideous traffic each day.
Dan
29 May 2014, 4:42 pm #14

(29 May 2014, 4:36 pm)aureolin Another day, another late GNE bus. 13 minutes late on the 8, and guaranteed to miss my connection.

Is it a Stanley-bound one or a Sunderland-bound one?

If it's the latter, I can't provide an excuse for GNE. If it's the former, then it takes them between 10 and 20 minutes to get down the bank on Chester Road from 16:00 to about 17:00 - every weekday, without fail. The roundabout should be controlled by traffic lights and there should be two lanes for the bank and perhaps it wouldn't cause such hideous traffic each day.

29 May 2014, 4:46 pm #15
(29 May 2014, 4:42 pm)Dan Is it a Stanley-bound one or a Sunderland-bound one?

I use the Lime 8 and 78 on a daily basis, like I do the 21. I don't travel on the 8 in the direction of Stanley every day, but on the many times I have on 'adventures', I can't name a single time it's pulled out at exactly 15 or 45 minutes past or to; even if late by just a minute or two.

I suppose that may also ought to driver changeovers, traffic etc.
R852 PRG
29 May 2014, 4:46 pm #15

I use the Lime 8 and 78 on a daily basis, like I do the 21. I don't travel on the 8 in the direction of Stanley every day, but on the many times I have on 'adventures', I can't name a single time it's pulled out at exactly 15 or 45 minutes past or to; even if late by just a minute or two.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2014, 4:48 pm #16
(29 May 2014, 4:46 pm)Marcus I use the Lime 8 and 78 on a daily basis, like I do the 21. I don't travel on the 8 in the direction of Stanley every day, but on the many times I have on 'adventures', I can't name a single time it's pulled out at exactly 15 or 45 minutes past or to; even if late by just a minute or two.

On each of the Get Around trips out I've done (typically on Saturdays), the 8s always get into Chester and have about five minutes where they just sit there and do nothing. Same story for the 78s too.

Guess I'm just lucky. Tongue
Dan
29 May 2014, 4:48 pm #16

(29 May 2014, 4:46 pm)Marcus I use the Lime 8 and 78 on a daily basis, like I do the 21. I don't travel on the 8 in the direction of Stanley every day, but on the many times I have on 'adventures', I can't name a single time it's pulled out at exactly 15 or 45 minutes past or to; even if late by just a minute or two.

On each of the Get Around trips out I've done (typically on Saturdays), the 8s always get into Chester and have about five minutes where they just sit there and do nothing. Same story for the 78s too.

29 May 2014, 4:50 pm #17
(29 May 2014, 4:48 pm)Dan On each of the Get Around trips out I've done (typically on Saturdays), the 8s always get into Chester and have about five minutes where they just sit there and do nothing. Same story for the 78s too.

You are the luckiest bus enthusiast I have ever met. I must admit, most of the time on those 8s where they leave late; it's the busy 'return from the market' runs where everyone gets on after their morning shop. Not too bad in the afternoons, barely a sole on in the early mornings.
R852 PRG
29 May 2014, 4:50 pm #17

(29 May 2014, 4:48 pm)Dan On each of the Get Around trips out I've done (typically on Saturdays), the 8s always get into Chester and have about five minutes where they just sit there and do nothing. Same story for the 78s too.

You are the luckiest bus enthusiast I have ever met. I must admit, most of the time on those 8s where they leave late; it's the busy 'return from the market' runs where everyone gets on after their morning shop. Not too bad in the afternoons, barely a sole on in the early mornings.

Andreos1

29 May 2014, 4:51 pm #18

The Stanley bound 775/778 was often regulated around that time of day.
Would come down Chester front street picking up and dropping off but then miss the market place out completely.

No idea if this happens now, but back then (when there wasn't an 8) it was quite a regular occurrence, so there was always a wait. The following bus would be often late too, having been caught in the same queues of traffic out of Sunderland.
Edited 29 May 2014, 4:52 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
29 May 2014, 4:51 pm #18

The Stanley bound 775/778 was often regulated around that time of day.
Would come down Chester front street picking up and dropping off but then miss the market place out completely.

No idea if this happens now, but back then (when there wasn't an 8) it was quite a regular occurrence, so there was always a wait. The following bus would be often late too, having been caught in the same queues of traffic out of Sunderland.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2014, 5:00 pm #19
(29 May 2014, 4:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The Stanley bound 775/778 was often regulated around that time of day.

It's a nightmare. I remember one night I got off at the hospital and ran up to The Wavendon. I had time to go home and get back to the bus stop (it had been an unusual allocation so I wanted to get a pic of it), and I still had a five or so minute wait for it to get back...

I'm nee Olympic runner either!
Dan
29 May 2014, 5:00 pm #19

(29 May 2014, 4:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous The Stanley bound 775/778 was often regulated around that time of day.

It's a nightmare. I remember one night I got off at the hospital and ran up to The Wavendon. I had time to go home and get back to the bus stop (it had been an unusual allocation so I wanted to get a pic of it), and I still had a five or so minute wait for it to get back...

I'm nee Olympic runner either!

Adrian

29 May 2014, 5:02 pm #20

Sunderland bound.

If it takes between 10 and 20 minutes every weekday without fail, I'd expect the running times to be adjusted? The Traffic Commissioner's office states that timetables should be both realistic and achievable.

Adrian
29 May 2014, 5:02 pm #20

Sunderland bound.

If it takes between 10 and 20 minutes every weekday without fail, I'd expect the running times to be adjusted? The Traffic Commissioner's office states that timetables should be both realistic and achievable.

Pages (17) 1 2 317 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average