Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Careers in Transport

Careers in Transport

Careers in Transport

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Chris

23 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm #21
(22 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm)tyresmoke Well reflecting I think I consider myself pretty lucky to be in the position I am now, having done some of things I have, at the age of 24. After all, this time 4 years ago I was a fledgling 20 year old who had dropped out of university without a clue what to do next... I spent time applying for any and every job without ever getting much success until Stagecoach gave me an interview and took me on as a trainee driver!

During the 2 years I spent with them I managed to drive a great variety of vehicles and made lots of good friends, most of whom I still see on a daily basis wherever they now work. Stockton had a reputation for hiring and firing but I would say that I still enjoyed my time there, despite the pressures from higher up always being prevalent in the depot. The highlight of my career so far was getting the chance to work on secondment to Stagecoach UK Bus Events for 4 weeks during the Paralympics at London 2012, along with 8 other colleagues from Stockton. We were responsible for driving the 5-a-side football teams around to all of their training events and matches and whilst it meant long days, it wasn't the hardest work I've ever done!!

Then at the start of last year a position came up at Arriva at Stockton depot which I jumped at the chance to join them, one of my best friends in the enthusiast community got me in and of course I already knew the manager so that helped too! It is a notoriously difficult depot to get into, as the staff turnover here is the complete opposite to what I had been used to at Stagecoach. The variety of routes is vast too, and I've driven even more variety in vehicles too from some beautiful ones to some downright sheds. Also the opportunity to work at other depots pops up from time to time, some of you may remember I spent 4 weeks working from Jesmond last summer on Metro replacements when drivers from every depot were drafted in.

So where do I see myself going next? Well I think I am happy to stay as a driver for now, having just started on the small team of drivers on the Sapphire rota at Stockton, it will be nice to see the project grow and ultimately become successful. In the future I would definitely be looking to move upwards, hopefully opportunities will open up at the right times? You never can tell...

As for people looking to get into the industry, well I can't say I've not enjoyed myself and as long as you have an interest in the job you should do fine. Being an enthusiast does get you a fair bit of ribbing from colleagues but most of mine come to me (or a few others) if they ever want to know something (for example today I had 223 on the buggy and they wanted to know where it had come from and why it was here!!)

In the medium term I hope to take the leap into bus driving and I find this post pretty inspirational. Should have done it 10 years ago.

Marcus - Loving the enthusiasm, really hope it works out for you.

In terms of company/depot - I flirt with different combinations on pretty much a daily basis, always was hopeless at making decisions!
Chris
23 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm #21

(22 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm)tyresmoke Well reflecting I think I consider myself pretty lucky to be in the position I am now, having done some of things I have, at the age of 24. After all, this time 4 years ago I was a fledgling 20 year old who had dropped out of university without a clue what to do next... I spent time applying for any and every job without ever getting much success until Stagecoach gave me an interview and took me on as a trainee driver!

During the 2 years I spent with them I managed to drive a great variety of vehicles and made lots of good friends, most of whom I still see on a daily basis wherever they now work. Stockton had a reputation for hiring and firing but I would say that I still enjoyed my time there, despite the pressures from higher up always being prevalent in the depot. The highlight of my career so far was getting the chance to work on secondment to Stagecoach UK Bus Events for 4 weeks during the Paralympics at London 2012, along with 8 other colleagues from Stockton. We were responsible for driving the 5-a-side football teams around to all of their training events and matches and whilst it meant long days, it wasn't the hardest work I've ever done!!

Then at the start of last year a position came up at Arriva at Stockton depot which I jumped at the chance to join them, one of my best friends in the enthusiast community got me in and of course I already knew the manager so that helped too! It is a notoriously difficult depot to get into, as the staff turnover here is the complete opposite to what I had been used to at Stagecoach. The variety of routes is vast too, and I've driven even more variety in vehicles too from some beautiful ones to some downright sheds. Also the opportunity to work at other depots pops up from time to time, some of you may remember I spent 4 weeks working from Jesmond last summer on Metro replacements when drivers from every depot were drafted in.

So where do I see myself going next? Well I think I am happy to stay as a driver for now, having just started on the small team of drivers on the Sapphire rota at Stockton, it will be nice to see the project grow and ultimately become successful. In the future I would definitely be looking to move upwards, hopefully opportunities will open up at the right times? You never can tell...

As for people looking to get into the industry, well I can't say I've not enjoyed myself and as long as you have an interest in the job you should do fine. Being an enthusiast does get you a fair bit of ribbing from colleagues but most of mine come to me (or a few others) if they ever want to know something (for example today I had 223 on the buggy and they wanted to know where it had come from and why it was here!!)

In the medium term I hope to take the leap into bus driving and I find this post pretty inspirational. Should have done it 10 years ago.

In terms of company/depot - I flirt with different combinations on pretty much a daily basis, always was hopeless at making decisions!

23 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm #22
(23 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm)Chris In the medium term I hope to take the leap into bus driving and I find this post pretty inspirational. Should have done it 10 years ago.

Thanks very much, Chris Smile

Personally, I think bus driving is a good, steady job. Teachers and others alike put me off by saying by the time I'll have passed my driving tests, buses will be controlled by robots (blah, blah, blah), if I was a passenger, I'd never set foot on a bus again if it was driven by a machine!
R852 PRG
23 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm #22

(23 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm)Chris In the medium term I hope to take the leap into bus driving and I find this post pretty inspirational. Should have done it 10 years ago.

Thanks very much, Chris Smile

Personally, I think bus driving is a good, steady job. Teachers and others alike put me off by saying by the time I'll have passed my driving tests, buses will be controlled by robots (blah, blah, blah), if I was a passenger, I'd never set foot on a bus again if it was driven by a machine!

Chris

23 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm #23
(23 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm)Marcus Thanks very much, Chris Smile

Snap, even back in the 90s I remember teachers, parents & even the careers service (do they even still exist?) all trying to discourage me. Good to see some things never change....

As the old saying goes - find your passion in life, and then find someone to pay you to do it. Simples!
Chris
23 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm #23

(23 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm)Marcus Thanks very much, Chris Smile

Snap, even back in the 90s I remember teachers, parents & even the careers service (do they even still exist?) all trying to discourage me. Good to see some things never change....

As the old saying goes - find your passion in life, and then find someone to pay you to do it. Simples!

23 Jul 2014, 1:14 pm #24
(23 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm)Chris Snap, even back in the 90s I remember teachers, parents & even the careers service (do they even still exist?) all trying to discourage me. Good to see some things never change....

Couldn't agree more Smile
R852 PRG
23 Jul 2014, 1:14 pm #24

(23 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm)Chris Snap, even back in the 90s I remember teachers, parents & even the careers service (do they even still exist?) all trying to discourage me. Good to see some things never change....

Couldn't agree more Smile

tyresmoke

23 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm #25

Cheers Chris, I didn't mean it to be inspirational really just wanted to say what I had done in the hope others might have similar stories Big Grin

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
23 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm #25

Cheers Chris, I didn't mean it to be inspirational really just wanted to say what I had done in the hope others might have similar stories Big Grin

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

BJ10VUS

24 Jul 2014, 10:23 am #26
(22 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Myself and other FPF members have often thought about infiltrating the company.

Plans are already made for the sabotage techniques, including replacing the ticket roll with Kellogg's Fruit Winders or playing with the destination screens, so that rude messages are displayed.

Please make this happen! Tongue
Edited 24 Jul 2014, 11:02 am by BJ10VUS.
BJ10VUS
24 Jul 2014, 10:23 am #26

(22 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Myself and other FPF members have often thought about infiltrating the company.

Plans are already made for the sabotage techniques, including replacing the ticket roll with Kellogg's Fruit Winders or playing with the destination screens, so that rude messages are displayed.

Please make this happen! Tongue

Andreos1

25 Jul 2014, 4:13 pm #27
If anyone was ever wanting to be a driver - if you were on the vehicle I have just been on, it will have put you off for life.

It has put me off using the bus, never mind driving one!

I ain't a judgemental person, but on hot days - you just wish people wiped their sweaty ar$es a bit more and invested in some cheap deodorant.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
25 Jul 2014, 4:13 pm #27

If anyone was ever wanting to be a driver - if you were on the vehicle I have just been on, it will have put you off for life.

It has put me off using the bus, never mind driving one!

I ain't a judgemental person, but on hot days - you just wish people wiped their sweaty ar$es a bit more and invested in some cheap deodorant.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average