Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Great North Run Bus Services

Great North Run Bus Services

Great North Run Bus Services

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Malarkey

07 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm #1
Decided I would get the 50A to South Shields this Afternoon rather than going via Sunderland so I could get some Photos of the X27 and Shuttles from Bents Park, And when I got on the Bus at Lambton Village Centre I asked if the Service was going into Shields or not due to the (GNR), The Driver replied with what does the Destination Screen say, before saying he was going into Shields, We then get to Galsworthy Road not far from Whiteleas and the Driver says he Terminating here.

I really can't get my head around why Go North East would Terminate Service 50A at Galsworthy Road on the Day of the Great North Run, Baring in mind this Stop is 15-20 Minute Walk to the Nearest Metro Station which is either Tyne Dock or Simonside, and there were no Connections to other Bus Services in the Area until after 5pm.

Therefore I ended up waiting for 30 Minutes on Galsworthy Road as the Driver had 30 Minutes Layover before making the Return Journey back to Durham, I then asked the Driver why he couldn't of Diverted via Jarrow and Tyne Dock into South Shields as he did say he was going into Shields, and he said it was too much of a Diversion and would rather have the 30 Minutes Layover.

Surely the Driver could get into Shields and back out within 30 Minutes as he would be Operating Non-Stop between Boldon and South Shields anyway, Overall I thought his Attitude was appalling and he seemed to have zero care in the world about how I was going make the onward Journey to Shields, as he simply replied "Not my Problem" when I asked him Several Questions.

Furthermore could there not of been a Shuttle Service provided in the Areas which were affected by the Road Closures by Go North East or Stagecoach to the Nearest Metro Station or Connecting Bus Services into South Shields, in this case it would had to of been either Boldon or Jarrow for Buses, as the Passengers were therefore Isolated during the Period of Road Closures.
Malarkey
07 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm #1

Decided I would get the 50A to South Shields this Afternoon rather than going via Sunderland so I could get some Photos of the X27 and Shuttles from Bents Park, And when I got on the Bus at Lambton Village Centre I asked if the Service was going into Shields or not due to the (GNR), The Driver replied with what does the Destination Screen say, before saying he was going into Shields, We then get to Galsworthy Road not far from Whiteleas and the Driver says he Terminating here.

I really can't get my head around why Go North East would Terminate Service 50A at Galsworthy Road on the Day of the Great North Run, Baring in mind this Stop is 15-20 Minute Walk to the Nearest Metro Station which is either Tyne Dock or Simonside, and there were no Connections to other Bus Services in the Area until after 5pm.

Therefore I ended up waiting for 30 Minutes on Galsworthy Road as the Driver had 30 Minutes Layover before making the Return Journey back to Durham, I then asked the Driver why he couldn't of Diverted via Jarrow and Tyne Dock into South Shields as he did say he was going into Shields, and he said it was too much of a Diversion and would rather have the 30 Minutes Layover.

Surely the Driver could get into Shields and back out within 30 Minutes as he would be Operating Non-Stop between Boldon and South Shields anyway, Overall I thought his Attitude was appalling and he seemed to have zero care in the world about how I was going make the onward Journey to Shields, as he simply replied "Not my Problem" when I asked him Several Questions.

Furthermore could there not of been a Shuttle Service provided in the Areas which were affected by the Road Closures by Go North East or Stagecoach to the Nearest Metro Station or Connecting Bus Services into South Shields, in this case it would had to of been either Boldon or Jarrow for Buses, as the Passengers were therefore Isolated during the Period of Road Closures.

Andreos1

07 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm #2
(07 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Decided I would get the 50A to South Shields this Afternoon rather than going via Sunderland so I could get some Photos of the X27 and Shuttles from Bents Park, And when I got on the Bus at Lambton Village Centre I asked if the Service was going into Shields or not due to the (GNR), The Driver replied with what does the Destination Screen say, before saying he was going into Shields, We then get to Galsworthy Road not far from Whiteleas and the Driver says he Terminating here.

How do you get a bus from Galsworthy Road to Tyne Dock, when the road splitting the two points is closed though?

Could you not have walked across the closed roads and got a bus from there?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm #2

(07 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Decided I would get the 50A to South Shields this Afternoon rather than going via Sunderland so I could get some Photos of the X27 and Shuttles from Bents Park, And when I got on the Bus at Lambton Village Centre I asked if the Service was going into Shields or not due to the (GNR), The Driver replied with what does the Destination Screen say, before saying he was going into Shields, We then get to Galsworthy Road not far from Whiteleas and the Driver says he Terminating here.

How do you get a bus from Galsworthy Road to Tyne Dock, when the road splitting the two points is closed though?

Malarkey

07 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm #3
(07 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm)Andreos Constantopolous How do you get a bus from Galsworthy Road to Tyne Dock, when the road splitting the two points is closed though?

By going via Boldon Asda and Jarrow via the route of 9, then from Jarrow to Tyne Dock via the 27 Route, Yeah could probably walked from there but was going to be a 15 to 20 Minutes Walk, perhaps Longer so I decided to go back home instead.
Malarkey
07 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm #3

(07 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm)Andreos Constantopolous How do you get a bus from Galsworthy Road to Tyne Dock, when the road splitting the two points is closed though?

By going via Boldon Asda and Jarrow via the route of 9, then from Jarrow to Tyne Dock via the 27 Route, Yeah could probably walked from there but was going to be a 15 to 20 Minutes Walk, perhaps Longer so I decided to go back home instead.

tyresmoke

07 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm #4
(07 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm)NEBCD Malarkey By going via Boldon Asda and Jarrow via the route of 9, then from Jarrow to Tyne Dock via the 27 Route, Yeah could probably walked from there but was going to be a 15 to 20 Minutes Walk, perhaps Longer so I decided to go back home instead.

To be fair GNE do say that service 50A will terminate at Galsworthy Road until 1700 today, so if you'd have checked before travelling, you'd have known.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
07 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm #4

(07 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm)NEBCD Malarkey By going via Boldon Asda and Jarrow via the route of 9, then from Jarrow to Tyne Dock via the 27 Route, Yeah could probably walked from there but was going to be a 15 to 20 Minutes Walk, perhaps Longer so I decided to go back home instead.

To be fair GNE do say that service 50A will terminate at Galsworthy Road until 1700 today, so if you'd have checked before travelling, you'd have known.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Andreos1

07 Sep 2014, 3:31 pm #5
(07 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm)AIG20 The nearest service he could have got, such as SNE services 3, 4, 10, 11, and 17 were all cancelled due to the Great North Run, basically leaving all bus users in Whiteleas and Biddick Hall stranded. Though he could have caught service 18 from Boldon Lane or Green Lane which I think was terminating at Low Simonside, leaving the customers in the Brockley Whins estate stranded.

Knew there would have been something from Bolson Lane area.

Mind, I have images of Malarkey crossing the GNR route at just the wrong stage and getting swept along by the mass of runners until the finish line!

Andreos1
07 Sep 2014, 3:31 pm #5

(07 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm)AIG20 The nearest service he could have got, such as SNE services 3, 4, 10, 11, and 17 were all cancelled due to the Great North Run, basically leaving all bus users in Whiteleas and Biddick Hall stranded. Though he could have caught service 18 from Boldon Lane or Green Lane which I think was terminating at Low Simonside, leaving the customers in the Brockley Whins estate stranded.

Knew there would have been something from Bolson Lane area.

Mind, I have images of Malarkey crossing the GNR route at just the wrong stage and getting swept along by the mass of runners until the finish line!

Adrian

07 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm #6
(07 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm)tyresmoke To be fair GNE do say that service 50A will terminate at Galsworthy Road until 1700 today, so if you'd have checked before travelling, you'd have known.
Perhaps at the same time though, the driver could have advised him correctly, rather than being flippant?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm #6

(07 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm)tyresmoke To be fair GNE do say that service 50A will terminate at Galsworthy Road until 1700 today, so if you'd have checked before travelling, you'd have known.
Perhaps at the same time though, the driver could have advised him correctly, rather than being flippant?

Malarkey

07 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm #7

Which I did, but I didn't think it was that far out of Shields, admittedly I am not familiar with the Area, but as Aureolin said there was no need for the Driver to be flippant with me, he could of easily advised on me on where to go from Galsworthy Road.
Malarkey
07 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm #7

Which I did, but I didn't think it was that far out of Shields, admittedly I am not familiar with the Area, but as Aureolin said there was no need for the Driver to be flippant with me, he could of easily advised on me on where to go from Galsworthy Road.

Adrian

07 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm #8
(07 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Which I did, but I didn't think it was that far out of Shields, admittedly I am not familiar with the Area, but as Aureolin said there was no need for the Driver to be flippant with me, he could of easily advised on me on where to go from Galsworthy Road.

Aye, there's no need for people to go on like that. I'd have been raging if that was me. Thankfully the majority of people I encounter in customer facing roles are decent folk, and never any bother.

Adrian
07 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm #8

(07 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Which I did, but I didn't think it was that far out of Shields, admittedly I am not familiar with the Area, but as Aureolin said there was no need for the Driver to be flippant with me, he could of easily advised on me on where to go from Galsworthy Road.

Aye, there's no need for people to go on like that. I'd have been raging if that was me. Thankfully the majority of people I encounter in customer facing roles are decent folk, and never any bother.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average