North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Places for Spotting

Places for Spotting

Places for Spotting

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4 Next
LeeCalder

06 Jan 2015, 8:49 am #1
Hello,

Does anyone know any good, quiet locations where I could go spitting today?
LeeCalder
06 Jan 2015, 8:49 am #1

Hello,

Adrian

06 Jan 2015, 9:16 am #2
(06 Jan 2015, 8:49 am)leestransportphotos Hello,

It's probably best not to go spitting, as it's frowned upon.

However, if you solely want to go spotting, youre probably best doing it around a bus station or interchange?? Not much point in a quiet spot, with two or three buses an hour coming through.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Jan 2015, 9:16 am #2

(06 Jan 2015, 8:49 am)leestransportphotos Hello,

It's probably best not to go spitting, as it's frowned upon.

However, if you solely want to go spotting, youre probably best doing it around a bus station or interchange?? Not much point in a quiet spot, with two or three buses an hour coming through.

LeeCalder

06 Jan 2015, 11:06 am #3
Haha, I'll blame that on my phone! Thanks mate
LeeCalder
06 Jan 2015, 11:06 am #3

Haha, I'll blame that on my phone! Thanks mate

Jimmi

09 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm #4
Thinking of going further afield for bus photos next year. I will use either National Express/Megabus or train to get to these locations dependent on time funds etc. For longer trips I will stay in a hotel for at least one night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places I could maybe vist?
Jimmi
09 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm #4

Thinking of going further afield for bus photos next year. I will use either National Express/Megabus or train to get to these locations dependent on time funds etc. For longer trips I will stay in a hotel for at least one night.

Malarkey

09 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm #5
(09 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm)Jimmi Thinking of going further afield for bus photos next year. I will use either National Express/Megabus or train to get to these locations dependent on time funds etc. For longer trips I will stay in a hotel for at least one night.

Edinburgh for me would be top of the list, then where ever after that.
Malarkey
09 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm #5

(09 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm)Jimmi Thinking of going further afield for bus photos next year. I will use either National Express/Megabus or train to get to these locations dependent on time funds etc. For longer trips I will stay in a hotel for at least one night.

Edinburgh for me would be top of the list, then where ever after that.

Adrian

09 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm #6

Closer to home, the obvious choices would be:
- Edinburgh
- York
- Leeds

All within 1h30m on the train, and you can tend to get cheap fares on the first two. I done York for about 30 quid, which would have been even cheaper, if I'd opted for a standard class ticket both ways. Edinburgh is costing me 36, which again, I could have done for less.

It's also entirely possible to do Edinburgh and Glasgow in a day. If you got advance singles between Darlington and Glasgow Central/Queen Street, although your Darlington-Edinburgh portions would be fixed trains, the Edinburgh-Glasgow section on ScotRail has no restrictions, and your tickets essentially act as an open return.

With Leeds, although the rail fares appear to be a bit more expensive, you can get a wymetro train/bus day rover, which covers the likes of Leeds, Castleford, Harrogate, Wakefield, Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield.

(09 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm)Malarkey Edinburgh for me would be top of the list, then where ever after that.

I'm going to end up doing Edinburgh twice in September, as I fully intend to spend the Saturday of the Lothian open day up there.

Adrian
09 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm #6

Closer to home, the obvious choices would be:
- Edinburgh
- York
- Leeds

All within 1h30m on the train, and you can tend to get cheap fares on the first two. I done York for about 30 quid, which would have been even cheaper, if I'd opted for a standard class ticket both ways. Edinburgh is costing me 36, which again, I could have done for less.

It's also entirely possible to do Edinburgh and Glasgow in a day. If you got advance singles between Darlington and Glasgow Central/Queen Street, although your Darlington-Edinburgh portions would be fixed trains, the Edinburgh-Glasgow section on ScotRail has no restrictions, and your tickets essentially act as an open return.

With Leeds, although the rail fares appear to be a bit more expensive, you can get a wymetro train/bus day rover, which covers the likes of Leeds, Castleford, Harrogate, Wakefield, Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield.

(09 Aug 2015, 6:50 pm)Malarkey Edinburgh for me would be top of the list, then where ever after that.

I'm going to end up doing Edinburgh twice in September, as I fully intend to spend the Saturday of the Lothian open day up there.

MurdnunoC

09 Aug 2015, 6:59 pm #7
When I was researching my dissertation at the NRM, I managed to snag a return to York for a mere £15. This was in 2012 mind.
MurdnunoC
09 Aug 2015, 6:59 pm #7

When I was researching my dissertation at the NRM, I managed to snag a return to York for a mere £15. This was in 2012 mind.

Jimmi

09 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm #8
(09 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm)aureolin Closer to home, the obvious choices would be:
- Edinburgh
- York
- Leeds

I'd quite like to do these places, all being well I should be heading up to the Lothian Open Doors Day this year, although I am not sure how long to spend there - any suggestions for how long I should spend there? Will also have to decide whether to get the train from Darlington or Durham.

Anyone know when Lothian Open Doors Day is yet?
Edited 09 Aug 2015, 7:06 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
09 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm #8

(09 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm)aureolin Closer to home, the obvious choices would be:
- Edinburgh
- York
- Leeds

I'd quite like to do these places, all being well I should be heading up to the Lothian Open Doors Day this year, although I am not sure how long to spend there - any suggestions for how long I should spend there? Will also have to decide whether to get the train from Darlington or Durham.

09 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm #9
(09 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm)Jimmi I'd quite like to do these places, all being well I should be heading up to the Lothian Open Doors Day this year, although I am not sure how long to spend there - any suggestions for how long I should spend there? Will also have to decide whether to get the train from Darlington or Durham.

Going by previous years, I'm going to guess Saturday the 26th September. Although I do intend to head up, I'm not booking anything until it's confirmed. My dad is likely to come up with me as well, but do his own thing.
R852 PRG
09 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm #9

(09 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm)Jimmi I'd quite like to do these places, all being well I should be heading up to the Lothian Open Doors Day this year, although I am not sure how long to spend there - any suggestions for how long I should spend there? Will also have to decide whether to get the train from Darlington or Durham.

Going by previous years, I'm going to guess Saturday the 26th September. Although I do intend to head up, I'm not booking anything until it's confirmed. My dad is likely to come up with me as well, but do his own thing.

Kuyoyo

09 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm #10
I recommend Sheffield - and South Yorkshire, however Sheffield has enough places outside the City Centre to cover the day itself. Wide mix of operators too.
Kuyoyo
09 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm #10

I recommend Sheffield - and South Yorkshire, however Sheffield has enough places outside the City Centre to cover the day itself. Wide mix of operators too.

Adrian

09 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm #11

I spent an hour inside last year. There's not much more to see than that, unless you want to have a go on some of the car racing games and such they put on. I just photographed what was there (no more than 15 buses I wouldn't have thought), and then done the 'depot tour bus' round the depot. 

I'll probably aim to get up there on the 1055 VTEC from Newcastle, and head back on the 1830 VTEC from Waverley, as both are booked electric.

As for date - nope, but I'd reckon on it being the 26th Sept.

Adrian
09 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm #11

I spent an hour inside last year. There's not much more to see than that, unless you want to have a go on some of the car racing games and such they put on. I just photographed what was there (no more than 15 buses I wouldn't have thought), and then done the 'depot tour bus' round the depot. 

I'll probably aim to get up there on the 1055 VTEC from Newcastle, and head back on the 1830 VTEC from Waverley, as both are booked electric.

09 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm #12
(09 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm)aureolin I spent an hour inside last year. There's not much more to see than that, unless you want to have a go on some of the car racing games and such they put on. I just photographed what was there (no more than 15 buses I wouldn't have thought), and then done the 'depot tour bus' round the depot. 

I'm planning on the 08:40 from Newcastle to Edinburgh (which carries on to Aberdeen) as its a booked HST I gather. Then the 17:00 back down, as its direct to Newcastle and pulls back in for 18:30. Smile

If there isn't a whole lot to do at the event, I'll make my way out onto the bus network. Big Grin
R852 PRG
09 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm #12

(09 Aug 2015, 7:12 pm)aureolin I spent an hour inside last year. There's not much more to see than that, unless you want to have a go on some of the car racing games and such they put on. I just photographed what was there (no more than 15 buses I wouldn't have thought), and then done the 'depot tour bus' round the depot. 

I'm planning on the 08:40 from Newcastle to Edinburgh (which carries on to Aberdeen) as its a booked HST I gather. Then the 17:00 back down, as its direct to Newcastle and pulls back in for 18:30. Smile

If there isn't a whole lot to do at the event, I'll make my way out onto the bus network. Big Grin

S813 FVK

09 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm #13
(09 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm)R852 PRG If there isn't a whole lot to do at the event, I'll make my way out onto the bus network. Big Grin

Make sure you have the right fare if you do. The machines are cool but they don't give change.
S813 FVK
09 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm #13

(09 Aug 2015, 7:14 pm)R852 PRG If there isn't a whole lot to do at the event, I'll make my way out onto the bus network. Big Grin

Make sure you have the right fare if you do. The machines are cool but they don't give change.

Adrian

09 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm #14
(09 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm)S813 FVK Make sure you have the right fare if you do. The machines are cool but they don't give change.

Or even better, just 'Plusbus' your rail tickets. Will work out cheaper too. Smile

Adrian
09 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm #14

(09 Aug 2015, 7:16 pm)S813 FVK Make sure you have the right fare if you do. The machines are cool but they don't give change.

Or even better, just 'Plusbus' your rail tickets. Will work out cheaper too. Smile

09 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm #15

I'll likely either get Plusbus with my rail tickets or a day ticket. I'm tempted to go with the latter, so I can use the no-change ticket machine just for the novelty of it. Tongue
R852 PRG
09 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm #15

I'll likely either get Plusbus with my rail tickets or a day ticket. I'm tempted to go with the latter, so I can use the no-change ticket machine just for the novelty of it. Tongue

Jimmi

09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm #16

Yeah juding by the way you've put it I'll probably won't stay long, but I would like to sample some of the buses in service and get some photos whilst I'm there.

I'd probably go a bit earlier than that, I'll probably look at getting a train from Darlington/Durham at around 8am then depart for home at around 5pm.

What sort of ticking options would there be for the buses and around how much do we think it would cost?
Jimmi
09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm #16

Yeah juding by the way you've put it I'll probably won't stay long, but I would like to sample some of the buses in service and get some photos whilst I'm there.

I'd probably go a bit earlier than that, I'll probably look at getting a train from Darlington/Durham at around 8am then depart for home at around 5pm.

What sort of ticking options would there be for the buses and around how much do we think it would cost?

09 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm #17
I've been to many quiet locations and their great for a good quality photo, instead to a bus station shot.

I've been to Low Pittington once, and I'm sure that aureolin has too, and it's a fantastic place for a nice scenic background, and would be fantastic to go to to get some new photos of the indigo solos.

Beamish museum is also good, would recommend a Saturday as the 128 runs.

Garesfield Golf Club, near High Spen

Acomb, for the new Tynedale links services

Anywhere in Morpeth , a fantastic place

Haven't been yet, but Ovington will be a nice place, as will Corbridge in the tight streets!

And finally, Lanchester is a nice place for some photos too
Jackamcardle
09 Aug 2015, 7:20 pm #17

I've been to many quiet locations and their great for a good quality photo, instead to a bus station shot.

I've been to Low Pittington once, and I'm sure that aureolin has too, and it's a fantastic place for a nice scenic background, and would be fantastic to go to to get some new photos of the indigo solos.

Beamish museum is also good, would recommend a Saturday as the 128 runs.

Garesfield Golf Club, near High Spen

Acomb, for the new Tynedale links services

Anywhere in Morpeth , a fantastic place

Haven't been yet, but Ovington will be a nice place, as will Corbridge in the tight streets!

And finally, Lanchester is a nice place for some photos too

09 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm #18
(09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm)Jimmi Yeah juding by the way you've put it I'll probably won't stay long, but I would like to sample some of the buses in service and get some photos whilst I'm there.

An adult all day ticket comes to £4.00 according to the website. Probably your best bet. Not valid on the ''Airlink'' 100 though I gather.
R852 PRG
09 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm #18

(09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm)Jimmi Yeah juding by the way you've put it I'll probably won't stay long, but I would like to sample some of the buses in service and get some photos whilst I'm there.

An adult all day ticket comes to £4.00 according to the website. Probably your best bet. Not valid on the ''Airlink'' 100 though I gather.

Adrian

09 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm #19
(09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm)Jimmi What sort of ticking options would there be for the buses and around how much do we think it would cost?

Just add 'Plusbus' to your rail tickets. It'll cost about 3 quid, and will cover the majority of buses and trams.

Airlink is excluded.

http://www.plusbus.info/edinburgh

Adrian
09 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm #19

(09 Aug 2015, 7:19 pm)Jimmi What sort of ticking options would there be for the buses and around how much do we think it would cost?

Just add 'Plusbus' to your rail tickets. It'll cost about 3 quid, and will cover the majority of buses and trams.

Airlink is excluded.

Jimmi

09 Aug 2015, 7:34 pm #20
(09 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm)aureolin Just add 'Plusbus' to your rail tickets. It'll cost about 3 quid, and will cover the majority of buses and trams.

Airlink is excluded.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and replies about tickets etc.

Not sure what to do about the train yet and that's the bit I will probably struggle with so I may be asking on here for advice once we find out the date for Lothian Doors. Unsure what to do exactly whilst I'm over there and where to get photos This will likely to be the first time I will use the train (that isn't a Northern Rail service where you buy tickets on the train) so I am a bit nervous about booking and such as I've never had to do this before so I may be asking on here for advice.

I will probably get the train from Darlington as there will be more buses to get me home on the evening rather than just the 7 hourly and will probably leave Darlington at around 8am and leave to come home at around 5pm.
Jimmi
09 Aug 2015, 7:34 pm #20

(09 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm)aureolin Just add 'Plusbus' to your rail tickets. It'll cost about 3 quid, and will cover the majority of buses and trams.

Airlink is excluded.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and replies about tickets etc.

Not sure what to do about the train yet and that's the bit I will probably struggle with so I may be asking on here for advice once we find out the date for Lothian Doors. Unsure what to do exactly whilst I'm over there and where to get photos This will likely to be the first time I will use the train (that isn't a Northern Rail service where you buy tickets on the train) so I am a bit nervous about booking and such as I've never had to do this before so I may be asking on here for advice.

I will probably get the train from Darlington as there will be more buses to get me home on the evening rather than just the 7 hourly and will probably leave Darlington at around 8am and leave to come home at around 5pm.

Pages (4) 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average