Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2014

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (33) Previous 1 2 3 433 Next
Andreos1

02 Aug 2014, 8:28 am #41
(02 Aug 2014, 8:17 am)G-CPTN The problem with the 685 for GNE would be running beyond Hexham with no support (which, to be fair is also a problem for Arriva).

In some ways it would be easier for GNE having a depot at Hexham, but they would need space for the extra vehicles (though maybe they would reduce the frequency from 3 per hour between Hexham and Newcastle - including X84/X85 - back to two per hour with one per hour running to/from Carlisle) - ie just run the '685' between Hexham and Carlisle.

More likely that Stagecoach would operate 685 (only between Carlisle and Hexham)?

There is also the lack of connections within Carlisle.
Not an issue when singles are attractive, but when the entire network is built around day tickets, a passenger from the suburbs of Carlisle could end up with two day tickets for a trip to the bright lights of Tyneside.
Ditto, a visitor from Tyneside, heading west.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Aug 2014, 8:28 am #41

(02 Aug 2014, 8:17 am)G-CPTN The problem with the 685 for GNE would be running beyond Hexham with no support (which, to be fair is also a problem for Arriva).

In some ways it would be easier for GNE having a depot at Hexham, but they would need space for the extra vehicles (though maybe they would reduce the frequency from 3 per hour between Hexham and Newcastle - including X84/X85 - back to two per hour with one per hour running to/from Carlisle) - ie just run the '685' between Hexham and Carlisle.

More likely that Stagecoach would operate 685 (only between Carlisle and Hexham)?

There is also the lack of connections within Carlisle.
Not an issue when singles are attractive, but when the entire network is built around day tickets, a passenger from the suburbs of Carlisle could end up with two day tickets for a trip to the bright lights of Tyneside.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Aug 2014, 8:40 am #42

Go North East would face the same problems as Arriva North East does at the moment too, you're right.

The difference would be the fact that they have a depot in Hexham. I'm not sure how many more vehicles Hexham can facilitate, but I have no doubt that work (such as the TENs) could be moved to Riverside, with the 685 moving to Hexham quite easily.

I'd imagine they'd split it too - Newcastle to Hexham being one stretch, then allowing any through passengers to get on the Hexham to Carlisle bus. Hopefully there'd be a 10 minute connection or something to either the X84 or X85, so wouldn't end up being too bad.

(02 Aug 2014, 8:28 am)Andreos Constantopolous There is also the lack of connections within Carlisle.

The singles on service 685 (at present) aren't particularly attractive either, and ANE doesn't have any connections within Carlisle.
Dan
02 Aug 2014, 8:40 am #42

Go North East would face the same problems as Arriva North East does at the moment too, you're right.

The difference would be the fact that they have a depot in Hexham. I'm not sure how many more vehicles Hexham can facilitate, but I have no doubt that work (such as the TENs) could be moved to Riverside, with the 685 moving to Hexham quite easily.

I'd imagine they'd split it too - Newcastle to Hexham being one stretch, then allowing any through passengers to get on the Hexham to Carlisle bus. Hopefully there'd be a 10 minute connection or something to either the X84 or X85, so wouldn't end up being too bad.

(02 Aug 2014, 8:28 am)Andreos Constantopolous There is also the lack of connections within Carlisle.

The singles on service 685 (at present) aren't particularly attractive either, and ANE doesn't have any connections within Carlisle.

Andreos1

02 Aug 2014, 9:01 am #43
(02 Aug 2014, 8:40 am)Dan Go North East would face the same problems as Arriva North East does at the moment too, you're right.

Nor Hexham and look at the changes they are making to the service in an effort to make it work.

I have no doubt, part of the success of the x84/85 is down to the connections available at either end of the route.
Edited 02 Aug 2014, 9:02 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
02 Aug 2014, 9:01 am #43

(02 Aug 2014, 8:40 am)Dan Go North East would face the same problems as Arriva North East does at the moment too, you're right.

Nor Hexham and look at the changes they are making to the service in an effort to make it work.

I have no doubt, part of the success of the x84/85 is down to the connections available at either end of the route.

Adrian

02 Aug 2014, 9:10 am #44
Why buy it when they're more than capable of taking it off them anyway through direct competition? I'd be surprised if there was not some legal issues with purchasing a set of services in a deregulated market, because really, the payment is just for agreement that they won't run in competition to you...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Aug 2014, 9:10 am #44

Why buy it when they're more than capable of taking it off them anyway through direct competition? I'd be surprised if there was not some legal issues with purchasing a set of services in a deregulated market, because really, the payment is just for agreement that they won't run in competition to you...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

G-CPTN

02 Aug 2014, 9:36 am #45
(02 Aug 2014, 9:10 am)aureolin Why buy it when they're more than capable of taking it off them anyway through direct competition?
I would think that the value would be little more than the cost of the vehicles.

Arriva could easily redeploy these within their network and GNE would want their own livery so the value of the vehicles is minimal I would have thought.

The original Arriva/GNE deal involved the transfer of depots at Ashington and Hexham (as well as some 602 service double deckers?).

Any 685 deal would have very little in the way of assets - maybe some drivers?
G-CPTN
02 Aug 2014, 9:36 am #45

(02 Aug 2014, 9:10 am)aureolin Why buy it when they're more than capable of taking it off them anyway through direct competition?
I would think that the value would be little more than the cost of the vehicles.

Arriva could easily redeploy these within their network and GNE would want their own livery so the value of the vehicles is minimal I would have thought.

The original Arriva/GNE deal involved the transfer of depots at Ashington and Hexham (as well as some 602 service double deckers?).

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Aug 2014, 9:40 am #46
(02 Aug 2014, 9:36 am)G-CPTN I would think that the value would be little more than the cost of the vehicles.

Doubt drivers would even be involved, if Hexham had to lose work to bring the 685 in - would just be Riverside taking on extra work.
Dan
02 Aug 2014, 9:40 am #46

(02 Aug 2014, 9:36 am)G-CPTN I would think that the value would be little more than the cost of the vehicles.

Doubt drivers would even be involved, if Hexham had to lose work to bring the 685 in - would just be Riverside taking on extra work.

Philly rf

02 Aug 2014, 11:46 am #47
Has pheonix coaches took over the arri as 30 service
Philly rf
02 Aug 2014, 11:46 am #47

Has pheonix coaches took over the arri as 30 service

peter

02 Aug 2014, 11:55 am #48
(02 Aug 2014, 11:46 am)Philly rf Has pheonix coaches took over the arri as 30 service

Yes, they won the contract from Northumberland County Council from the 6th July.
peter
02 Aug 2014, 11:55 am #48

(02 Aug 2014, 11:46 am)Philly rf Has pheonix coaches took over the arri as 30 service

Yes, they won the contract from Northumberland County Council from the 6th July.

ross13

02 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm #49
(31 Jul 2014, 7:54 pm)tyresmoke 3 extra buses to be allocated to Darlington will be former demonstrator MAN Ecocities which have been purchased. These would appear to be:
- WX61FXO (which we had on demonstration at Darlington previously!),
- WX61HSL (which was used at Go North East)
- WX13GHN, a newer one

I am told these should be allocated to service 21 Darlington - Peterlee, which would be an upgrade on the Solos currently used on there. They should take up fleet numbers 4812-14

this might be a stupid question but do we have any idea when these 3 ecocities arrive ay darlington
ross13
02 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm #49

(31 Jul 2014, 7:54 pm)tyresmoke 3 extra buses to be allocated to Darlington will be former demonstrator MAN Ecocities which have been purchased. These would appear to be:
- WX61FXO (which we had on demonstration at Darlington previously!),
- WX61HSL (which was used at Go North East)
- WX13GHN, a newer one

I am told these should be allocated to service 21 Darlington - Peterlee, which would be an upgrade on the Solos currently used on there. They should take up fleet numbers 4812-14

this might be a stupid question but do we have any idea when these 3 ecocities arrive ay darlington

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Aug 2014, 2:00 pm #50
The Volvo B10BLEs are starting to arrive at Stockton, with 4508 being one of the first to be pictured.
Dan
02 Aug 2014, 2:00 pm #50

The Volvo B10BLEs are starting to arrive at Stockton, with 4508 being one of the first to be pictured.

02 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm #51
Do Arriva Managers ever drive their buses? I ask as I know some GNE managers do and Stagecoach do (you can tell them by the white shirts).

Would be a great opportunity for them to get a feel for things. I bet alot have never driven a bus before.
VolvoMarkII
02 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm #51

Do Arriva Managers ever drive their buses? I ask as I know some GNE managers do and Stagecoach do (you can tell them by the white shirts).

Would be a great opportunity for them to get a feel for things. I bet alot have never driven a bus before.

tyresmoke

02 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm #52
(02 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm)VolvoMarkII Do Arriva Managers ever drive their buses? I ask as I know some GNE managers do and Stagecoach do (you can tell them by the white shirts).

I know one that does...

As for the arrival of 4508, it appears to be the talk of the depot... One down 6 to go!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
02 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm #52

(02 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm)VolvoMarkII Do Arriva Managers ever drive their buses? I ask as I know some GNE managers do and Stagecoach do (you can tell them by the white shirts).

I know one that does...

As for the arrival of 4508, it appears to be the talk of the depot... One down 6 to go!

BUSFAN

02 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm #53
I am sure i saw a Solo this week at 17.50 coming into Crook with Stanhope via Lanchester on the blind can anyone confirm this.
BUSFAN
02 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm #53

I am sure i saw a Solo this week at 17.50 coming into Crook with Stanhope via Lanchester on the blind can anyone confirm this.

Michael

02 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm #54
(02 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm)BUSFAN I am sure i saw a Solo this week at 17.50 coming into Crook with Stanhope via Lanchester on the blind can anyone confirm this.

not being funny but why start a new thread when it could of being posted the Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Aug 2014, 4:34 pm #54

(02 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm)BUSFAN I am sure i saw a Solo this week at 17.50 coming into Crook with Stanhope via Lanchester on the blind can anyone confirm this.

not being funny but why start a new thread when it could of being posted the Arriva North East - Rare and Odd Workings.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

02 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm #55

Yes, there is one peak time only run from Framwellgate Moor - Stanhope via Crook run that operates on weekdays only. Stanhope - Fram on a morning and Fram - Stanhope on an afternoon.
Jimmi
02 Aug 2014, 4:35 pm #55

Yes, there is one peak time only run from Framwellgate Moor - Stanhope via Crook run that operates on weekdays only. Stanhope - Fram on a morning and Fram - Stanhope on an afternoon.

BJ10VUS

02 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm #56

Would have been Crook via Langley Moor, not Lanchester.
BJ10VUS
02 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm #56

Would have been Crook via Langley Moor, not Lanchester.

BUSFAN

02 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm #57
Cheers i thought it was strange but do Arriva still run up to Stanhope on Schooldays or did that service not last long.
BUSFAN
02 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm #57

Cheers i thought it was strange but do Arriva still run up to Stanhope on Schooldays or did that service not last long.

tyresmoke

02 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm #58
(02 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm)BUSFAN Cheers i thought it was strange but do Arriva still run up to Stanhope on Schooldays or did that service not last long.

It runs every weekday, 0656 Stanhope-Fram Moor (a0818) and 1704 Framwellgate Moor-Stanhope (a1830)

tyresmoke
02 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm #58

(02 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm)BUSFAN Cheers i thought it was strange but do Arriva still run up to Stanhope on Schooldays or did that service not last long.

It runs every weekday, 0656 Stanhope-Fram Moor (a0818) and 1704 Framwellgate Moor-Stanhope (a1830)

Jimmi

02 Aug 2014, 4:59 pm #59

They used to have service 46A which went from Stanhope - Durham (extending to Framwellgate Moor at college times) and it operated I think it was four journeys a day on weekdays only, but that got withdrawn a while back, now they just have the peak time only runs on weekdays as service 46.
Jimmi
02 Aug 2014, 4:59 pm #59

They used to have service 46A which went from Stanhope - Durham (extending to Framwellgate Moor at college times) and it operated I think it was four journeys a day on weekdays only, but that got withdrawn a while back, now they just have the peak time only runs on weekdays as service 46.

tyresmoke

02 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm #60
Quick note to say 221 departed Durham for Belle Isle yesterday

tyresmoke
02 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm #60

Quick note to say 221 departed Durham for Belle Isle yesterday

Pages (33) Previous 1 2 3 433 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average