Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next
tyresmoke

02 Feb 2013, 12:07 pm #1
South Shields based MAN 22049 has been repainted into normal fleet livery (ex X34 blue).
tyresmoke
02 Feb 2013, 12:07 pm #1

South Shields based MAN 22049 has been repainted into normal fleet livery (ex X34 blue).

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm #2
A blue ALX300 was working the X34 service today - was quite shocked to see it actually, I've only ever seen the Enviro 400s on the service since they were transferred over.
Dan
02 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm #2

A blue ALX300 was working the X34 service today - was quite shocked to see it actually, I've only ever seen the Enviro 400s on the service since they were transferred over.

tyresmoke

03 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm #3
Not sure if this has been noted yet, B10BLE 21156 is now back at Walkergate
tyresmoke
03 Feb 2013, 10:01 pm #3

Not sure if this has been noted yet, B10BLE 21156 is now back at Walkergate

dan

Unregistered

04 Feb 2013, 8:29 am #4
(02 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm)Daniel A blue ALX300 was working the X34 service today - was quite shocked to see it actually, I've only ever seen the Enviro 400s on the service since they were transferred over.

dan
04 Feb 2013, 8:29 am #4

(02 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm)Daniel A blue ALX300 was working the X34 service today - was quite shocked to see it actually, I've only ever seen the Enviro 400s on the service since they were transferred over.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

06 Feb 2013, 9:35 pm #5
This evening I decided to walk along to the top of Coach Lane to catch the 1 back into Newcastle instead of the Metro. I was aware that the 1 took a little bit longer than the 62/63 from Four Lane Ends to Newcastle, and I think this had put me off travelling by the 1 until now. But I'm very pleased I took it today!

Got to the stop just in time for the 16:05 short run to Buddle Road and the bus came on time which was great. The bus timetable board said it would take 29 minutes to get to Central Station so I'd get there plenty of time for the 16:53 train back to Sunderland. I was the only one on-board and went upstairs. The sun was setting at the time, and we swiftly travelled down Coach Lane, picking only a few up on the way.

I'm not too familiar with the area, but did notice a street sign for Sackville Road which on Google Earth appears to be in Heaton. There were a couple of streets along here that were so narrow it would have been extremely difficult for two buses to overtake but that didn't seem to happen thankfully.

A little bit later into the route we had to change buses - no big deal, was still an E400 but I think it had just come straight cold from the depot because all the windows were steamed up. Not long after, we passed Northumbria University and then into Newcastle City Centre and through to Central Station. I couldn't believe half an hour passed so quickly!

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but what an enthralling route! While we were twisting and turning fast down narrow residential streets, I could still almost fall asleep, it was brilliant. A great journey all-round, and the driver was great. I just wish I had got a hold of the two fleet numbers to complete this post. It's not often that I have a memorable bus trip, but this for me was one. I'm not from Newcastle, and until now only had experience with a few of the local Newcastle routes - X47, 62/63 and Arriva's X5/55. But for me the 1 just tops it all.

I always try to find different ways of avoiding the Metro as much as possible on my journeys back home; but despite the 1 taking twice as long as the Metro to get back into Newcastle, I much prefer it. It was so much more relaxing (especially having the top deck to myself!), and it just really lifted my spirits after a long day at work. In a way I'm gutted I've only got a half day tomorrow for a hospital appointment, but I'll be sure to take the 1 again from Friday!
NEB Admin Team
06 Feb 2013, 9:35 pm #5

This evening I decided to walk along to the top of Coach Lane to catch the 1 back into Newcastle instead of the Metro. I was aware that the 1 took a little bit longer than the 62/63 from Four Lane Ends to Newcastle, and I think this had put me off travelling by the 1 until now. But I'm very pleased I took it today!

Got to the stop just in time for the 16:05 short run to Buddle Road and the bus came on time which was great. The bus timetable board said it would take 29 minutes to get to Central Station so I'd get there plenty of time for the 16:53 train back to Sunderland. I was the only one on-board and went upstairs. The sun was setting at the time, and we swiftly travelled down Coach Lane, picking only a few up on the way.

I'm not too familiar with the area, but did notice a street sign for Sackville Road which on Google Earth appears to be in Heaton. There were a couple of streets along here that were so narrow it would have been extremely difficult for two buses to overtake but that didn't seem to happen thankfully.

A little bit later into the route we had to change buses - no big deal, was still an E400 but I think it had just come straight cold from the depot because all the windows were steamed up. Not long after, we passed Northumbria University and then into Newcastle City Centre and through to Central Station. I couldn't believe half an hour passed so quickly!

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but what an enthralling route! While we were twisting and turning fast down narrow residential streets, I could still almost fall asleep, it was brilliant. A great journey all-round, and the driver was great. I just wish I had got a hold of the two fleet numbers to complete this post. It's not often that I have a memorable bus trip, but this for me was one. I'm not from Newcastle, and until now only had experience with a few of the local Newcastle routes - X47, 62/63 and Arriva's X5/55. But for me the 1 just tops it all.

I always try to find different ways of avoiding the Metro as much as possible on my journeys back home; but despite the 1 taking twice as long as the Metro to get back into Newcastle, I much prefer it. It was so much more relaxing (especially having the top deck to myself!), and it just really lifted my spirits after a long day at work. In a way I'm gutted I've only got a half day tomorrow for a hospital appointment, but I'll be sure to take the 1 again from Friday!

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

09 Feb 2013, 12:18 am #6
Stagecoach have posted details of an upcoming diversion on Sunday 24 February in Sunderland affecting all services bar 20 and E1/E2/E6 -

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/serviceupda...px?Id=6712

It seems to have something to do with the Better Bus Improvement programme on Borough Road. On the 24th, buses will essentially be doing almost a full lap around Mowbray Park, including a loop around the Burdon Road/Stockton Road/Park Road gyratory. I've just done a quick measure on Google Earth, and the diversionary route is a whole mile longer than the usual route and plus all the extra traffic light junctions to pass too - so expect delays! Tongue

Went past Borough Road on the 10 on Thursday - there is a bus shelter at the west-bound stop opposite William Jameson but it's not in use yet.
NEB Admin Team
09 Feb 2013, 12:18 am #6

Stagecoach have posted details of an upcoming diversion on Sunday 24 February in Sunderland affecting all services bar 20 and E1/E2/E6 -

It seems to have something to do with the Better Bus Improvement programme on Borough Road. On the 24th, buses will essentially be doing almost a full lap around Mowbray Park, including a loop around the Burdon Road/Stockton Road/Park Road gyratory. I've just done a quick measure on Google Earth, and the diversionary route is a whole mile longer than the usual route and plus all the extra traffic light junctions to pass too - so expect delays! Tongue

Went past Borough Road on the 10 on Thursday - there is a bus shelter at the west-bound stop opposite William Jameson but it's not in use yet.

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Feb 2013, 9:10 am #7
(09 Feb 2013, 12:18 am)Brandon Stagecoach have posted details of an upcoming diversion on Sunday 24 February in Sunderland affecting all services bar 20 and E1/E2/E6 -

Happened not so long back (but it was Toward Road and Borough Road - the first part next to Mowbray Park rather than the loop which all the buses take) too, affecting GNE services 39/42 and SC services 10/11.

Do ignore the god awful quality, my camera was having a bad day. I was gutted that one of my proposed photo spots didn't work out because Borough Road had re-opened 10 minutes after I had arrived in town. Stagecoach services 10 and 11 were the only ones diverting that way (I have no idea which loop GNE services 39 and 42 were taking to get back into the city centre - the drivers heard about five different things on the radio as I remember the driver was fuming while I was bussing down to town) - snow was quite deep on Mowbray Park and I was going to get all of that in the shot while some dogs were playing in the snow while also capturing that Jack Crawford(?) statue in the shot too.

Unfortunately didn't work out - but I may be able to have another crack at the shot, minus the snow.

Regarding current stops: Yes, the stop on Borough Road (stop number 24S07) has gained a bus shelter following the works that went on January 20th. Also, although only temporary while this stop is out of bounds, a new stop has been instated at Holmeside (just as you pass the traffic lights).
Dan
09 Feb 2013, 9:10 am #7

(09 Feb 2013, 12:18 am)Brandon Stagecoach have posted details of an upcoming diversion on Sunday 24 February in Sunderland affecting all services bar 20 and E1/E2/E6 -

Happened not so long back (but it was Toward Road and Borough Road - the first part next to Mowbray Park rather than the loop which all the buses take) too, affecting GNE services 39/42 and SC services 10/11.

Do ignore the god awful quality, my camera was having a bad day. I was gutted that one of my proposed photo spots didn't work out because Borough Road had re-opened 10 minutes after I had arrived in town. Stagecoach services 10 and 11 were the only ones diverting that way (I have no idea which loop GNE services 39 and 42 were taking to get back into the city centre - the drivers heard about five different things on the radio as I remember the driver was fuming while I was bussing down to town) - snow was quite deep on Mowbray Park and I was going to get all of that in the shot while some dogs were playing in the snow while also capturing that Jack Crawford(?) statue in the shot too.

Unfortunately didn't work out - but I may be able to have another crack at the shot, minus the snow.

Regarding current stops: Yes, the stop on Borough Road (stop number 24S07) has gained a bus shelter following the works that went on January 20th. Also, although only temporary while this stop is out of bounds, a new stop has been instated at Holmeside (just as you pass the traffic lights).

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm #8
To answer a previous question which has gone missing: 27506 is said to have been de-branded of its "Metrocentre" branding. It is 'in an approximation of Stagecoach livery with no orange and less blue'.

Source: "Stagecoach North East Bus Enthusiast Group" on Facebook.
Dan
09 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm #8

To answer a previous question which has gone missing: 27506 is said to have been de-branded of its "Metrocentre" branding. It is 'in an approximation of Stagecoach livery with no orange and less blue'.

Source: "Stagecoach North East Bus Enthusiast Group" on Facebook.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

09 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm #9
I think those photos are alright actually! I think that new bus stop on Holmeside was where the 10 dropped me off in lieu of Borough Road.

It's a shame that more bus services don't run along Burdon Road anymore; there used to be all trips on the 38's and the morning peak Arriva services from County Durham. Sadly it's just the evening/Sunday-only Compass 38C at the moment - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S37.pdf . but it seems that GNE are re-introducing service 38 to Burdon Road from next month. You'd think Nexus would want to re-use the northbound bus shelter somewhere else, which I don't think has been served by a regular bus service since the 18 was re-routed in March 2005.

Not sure if it's been reported anywhere, can't find any reference to it. Just seen South Shields MAN 22067 leaving Sunderland on the 12:43 E6 with a LED destination blind - apologies if it's old news, first I've seen it! Wink
NEB Admin Team
09 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm #9

I think those photos are alright actually! I think that new bus stop on Holmeside was where the 10 dropped me off in lieu of Borough Road.

It's a shame that more bus services don't run along Burdon Road anymore; there used to be all trips on the 38's and the morning peak Arriva services from County Durham. Sadly it's just the evening/Sunday-only Compass 38C at the moment - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S37.pdf . but it seems that GNE are re-introducing service 38 to Burdon Road from next month. You'd think Nexus would want to re-use the northbound bus shelter somewhere else, which I don't think has been served by a regular bus service since the 18 was re-routed in March 2005.

Not sure if it's been reported anywhere, can't find any reference to it. Just seen South Shields MAN 22067 leaving Sunderland on the 12:43 E6 with a LED destination blind - apologies if it's old news, first I've seen it! Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm #10
(09 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm)Brandon I think those photos are alright actually! I think that new bus stop on Holmeside was where the 10 dropped me off in lieu of Borough Road.

It's a shame that more bus services don't run along Burdon Road anymore; there used to be all trips on the 38's and the morning peak Arriva services from County Durham. Sadly it's just the evening/Sunday-only Compass 38C at the moment - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S37.pdf . but it seems that GNE are re-introducing service 38 to Burdon Road from next month. You'd think Nexus would want to re-use the northbound bus shelter which I don't think has been served by a regular bus service since the 18 was re-routed in March 2005, and put it somewhere else...

Indeed it is. I remember back in September and October of 2009, there was a hefty diversion in place around Burdon Road and Stockton Road for vehicles that used Holmeside (going out of the town centre rather than in). I used to love that diversion because I used to walk to the temporary bus stop on Stockton Road from school to get the bus home. Since, I've moved house and just get the bus from Park Lane, but that diversion was brilliant for me. Countless amounts of times I stuck my hand out at the normal stop before Park Lane even though that wasn't the designated temporary bus stop because the bus had arrived there before I was there. It was an oddly placed temporary bus stop though - but I guess it's because they wanted it as close to Holmeside as possible but keeping it in a safe spot.

Can anyone remember why that diversion was in place for little over a month?

Oh, and some photos (credit to peter_b2008 on Flickr):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3962140621/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3962138841/

RE: The ALX300 - I noticed it about a week ago on the E1/E2/E6 service after having finished school. I didn't think it was new news (if that makes sense) but it could well be.
Dan
09 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm #10

(09 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm)Brandon I think those photos are alright actually! I think that new bus stop on Holmeside was where the 10 dropped me off in lieu of Borough Road.

It's a shame that more bus services don't run along Burdon Road anymore; there used to be all trips on the 38's and the morning peak Arriva services from County Durham. Sadly it's just the evening/Sunday-only Compass 38C at the moment - http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24S37.pdf . but it seems that GNE are re-introducing service 38 to Burdon Road from next month. You'd think Nexus would want to re-use the northbound bus shelter which I don't think has been served by a regular bus service since the 18 was re-routed in March 2005, and put it somewhere else...

Indeed it is. I remember back in September and October of 2009, there was a hefty diversion in place around Burdon Road and Stockton Road for vehicles that used Holmeside (going out of the town centre rather than in). I used to love that diversion because I used to walk to the temporary bus stop on Stockton Road from school to get the bus home. Since, I've moved house and just get the bus from Park Lane, but that diversion was brilliant for me. Countless amounts of times I stuck my hand out at the normal stop before Park Lane even though that wasn't the designated temporary bus stop because the bus had arrived there before I was there. It was an oddly placed temporary bus stop though - but I guess it's because they wanted it as close to Holmeside as possible but keeping it in a safe spot.

Can anyone remember why that diversion was in place for little over a month?

Oh, and some photos (credit to peter_b2008 on Flickr):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3962140621/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27204054@N07/3962138841/

RE: The ALX300 - I noticed it about a week ago on the E1/E2/E6 service after having finished school. I didn't think it was new news (if that makes sense) but it could well be.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

09 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm #11
Thanks for posting those photos too by Peter! I remember that diversion well. GNE had some major service changes (especially Black Cats/Doxford Clipper) in October 2009 right in the middle of the diversion period so must have been rather confusing to passengers at the time!

I seem to remember the Stagecoach cross-city routes 3/4/13/16 actually taking quicker to reach the other side of the City Centre via Burdon Road instead of the usually traffic-crammed Holmeside/Vine Place! I think it would have been much better as a permanent diversion - then keep Holmeside east-bound traffic only with wider pavements!

This notice was on GNE's home page at the time -

Sunderland City Centre Closures
A number of road or lane closures will affect bus operation in Central Sunderland from Sunday 27th September 2009. This is due to urgent gas main renewal and may last for up to 3 months.

I think the works were confined to Holmeside (west-bound only).

The most recent photo I can find on Flickr of 22067 is by Chris White in August 2012 - so it could have been any time after that really when it got fitted with an LED blind.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswhites...427446446/
NEB Admin Team
09 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm #11

Thanks for posting those photos too by Peter! I remember that diversion well. GNE had some major service changes (especially Black Cats/Doxford Clipper) in October 2009 right in the middle of the diversion period so must have been rather confusing to passengers at the time!

I seem to remember the Stagecoach cross-city routes 3/4/13/16 actually taking quicker to reach the other side of the City Centre via Burdon Road instead of the usually traffic-crammed Holmeside/Vine Place! I think it would have been much better as a permanent diversion - then keep Holmeside east-bound traffic only with wider pavements!

A number of road or lane closures will affect bus operation in Central Sunderland from Sunday 27th September 2009. This is due to urgent gas main renewal and may last for up to 3 months.

The most recent photo I can find on Flickr of 22067 is by Chris White in August 2012 - so it could have been any time after that really when it got fitted with an LED blind.

tyresmoke

09 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm #12
(09 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm)Brandon Thanks for posting those photos too by Peter! I remember that diversion well. GNE had some major service changes (especially Black Cats/Doxford Clipper) in October 2009 right in the middle of the diversion period so must have been rather confusing to passengers at the time!

South Shields swapped some of the LEDs out of the B10BLEs with flip dots out of the MANs - some of which are now at Slatyford as swaps for their E400s. Talking of which, 19197 is currently undergoing refurb which should see its seats recovered in leather and repainted (wonder if X34 will get a new brand or not?).
tyresmoke
09 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm #12

(09 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm)Brandon Thanks for posting those photos too by Peter! I remember that diversion well. GNE had some major service changes (especially Black Cats/Doxford Clipper) in October 2009 right in the middle of the diversion period so must have been rather confusing to passengers at the time!

South Shields swapped some of the LEDs out of the B10BLEs with flip dots out of the MANs - some of which are now at Slatyford as swaps for their E400s. Talking of which, 19197 is currently undergoing refurb which should see its seats recovered in leather and repainted (wonder if X34 will get a new brand or not?).

Malarkey

09 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm #13
http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamsonm/8458002145/

photo by mdw9121 of the Unbranded/Repainted 100 E300
Malarkey
09 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm #13

http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamsonm/8458002145/

photo by mdw9121 of the Unbranded/Repainted 100 E300

Michael

10 Feb 2013, 12:36 am #14
Ive heard Sunderland are to receive 25 new buses this year, any truth?
Edited 10 Feb 2013, 12:36 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Feb 2013, 12:36 am #14

Ive heard Sunderland are to receive 25 new buses this year, any truth?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Feb 2013, 10:29 am #15
(10 Feb 2013, 12:36 am)Michael Ive heard Sunderland are to receive 25 new buses this year, any truth?

May I refer you to a post I made on Christmas Day of 2012? Wink

Since, I have had this confirmed. We are to get 25 *new* E200/E300s, most likely to replace some of the older ALX300s and the very few ALX200s we have left. And by new, I actually mean new!
Dan
10 Feb 2013, 10:29 am #15

(10 Feb 2013, 12:36 am)Michael Ive heard Sunderland are to receive 25 new buses this year, any truth?

Since, I have had this confirmed. We are to get 25 *new* E200/E300s, most likely to replace some of the older ALX300s and the very few ALX200s we have left. And by new, I actually mean new!

Kuyoyo

10 Feb 2013, 10:38 am #16
(10 Feb 2013, 10:29 am)Daniel

Think you might have numbers wrong - as I understand, there's 21 new buses due for Sunderland later this year, with possiably more coming depending on success in funding - watch this space Wink
Kuyoyo
10 Feb 2013, 10:38 am #16

Think you might have numbers wrong - as I understand, there's 21 new buses due for Sunderland later this year, with possiably more coming depending on success in funding - watch this space Wink

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Feb 2013, 10:49 am #17
(10 Feb 2013, 10:38 am)Kuyoyo

The driver that told me did say 25 definites with the others depending on if we gain the funding or not. Given that it was Christmas Day, the driver could have been wrong and his head (rightfully) may not have been at work.
Dan
10 Feb 2013, 10:49 am #17

The driver that told me did say 25 definites with the others depending on if we gain the funding or not. Given that it was Christmas Day, the driver could have been wrong and his head (rightfully) may not have been at work.

Michael

10 Feb 2013, 11:19 am #18

Ah sorry Daniel, 21 buses should be enough to get rid of all or most of the MAN's at Wheatchef, i was on one yesterday and door's took ages to shut and its engine kept stopping.

Any1 got a updated Fleet List for stagecoach NE?
Edited 10 Feb 2013, 11:24 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Feb 2013, 11:19 am #18

Ah sorry Daniel, 21 buses should be enough to get rid of all or most of the MAN's at Wheatchef, i was on one yesterday and door's took ages to shut and its engine kept stopping.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Kuyoyo

10 Feb 2013, 11:26 am #19
(10 Feb 2013, 11:19 am)Michael

Not replacing MANs, unless people enjoyed what happened with the 4 in 2009 Wink The oldest MANs will only be replaced if the funding-depending vehicles happen.
Kuyoyo
10 Feb 2013, 11:26 am #19

(10 Feb 2013, 11:19 am)Michael

Not replacing MANs, unless people enjoyed what happened with the 4 in 2009 Wink The oldest MANs will only be replaced if the funding-depending vehicles happen.

Michael

10 Feb 2013, 11:28 am #20

How many MANs does Sunderland have?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Feb 2013, 11:28 am #20

How many MANs does Sunderland have?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (3): 1 2 3 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average