Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Stagecoach North East Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next
Michael

02 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm #1
From the Sunderland echo:

Bus firm pays £10,000 in bonuses to its greenest drivers.

BUS company Stagecoach North East has paid out almost £10,000 in bonuses to eco-friendly drivers.
The firm introduced technology 20 months ago to encourage staff to drive in a more environmentally-friendly way.
The GreenRoad system provides real-time feedback on driving style including speed, braking, acceleration and turning, so drivers they can learn and improve.
Drivers are given a financial incentive to encourage them to comply with the system’s recommendations, with each driver able to earn up to £65 a time. Stagecoach has already paid its Sunderland drivers a collective bonus of £9,990.
Drivers can keep track of their performance with the depot computer or use their phones to access the GreenRoad data and see how they are performing.
Steve Hamilton is Eco Champion at Stagecoach North East’s Sunderland depot. Driving in an eco-friendly way not only reduced impact on the environment but also made journeys more enjoyable for Stagecoach’s customers.
He said: “It’s ultimately the passengers who benefit as the overall driving experience will be improved through good driving.
“Drivers are now much more aware of how the system works and the positives it will bring to their overall driving performance.
“The environment also benefits through a reduction in fuel consumption, which ultimately reduces the company’s carbon footprint.
“Stagecoach North East continues to be one of the top performing regions operating the Eco Driver System in the UK, which is no easy feat, especially as we operate in a number of busy cities. “Our drivers have always taken great care when driving, but now they can keep on track every day.”

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
02 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm #1

From the Sunderland echo:

BUS company Stagecoach North East has paid out almost £10,000 in bonuses to eco-friendly drivers.
The firm introduced technology 20 months ago to encourage staff to drive in a more environmentally-friendly way.
The GreenRoad system provides real-time feedback on driving style including speed, braking, acceleration and turning, so drivers they can learn and improve.
Drivers are given a financial incentive to encourage them to comply with the system’s recommendations, with each driver able to earn up to £65 a time. Stagecoach has already paid its Sunderland drivers a collective bonus of £9,990.
Drivers can keep track of their performance with the depot computer or use their phones to access the GreenRoad data and see how they are performing.
Steve Hamilton is Eco Champion at Stagecoach North East’s Sunderland depot. Driving in an eco-friendly way not only reduced impact on the environment but also made journeys more enjoyable for Stagecoach’s customers.
He said: “It’s ultimately the passengers who benefit as the overall driving experience will be improved through good driving.
“Drivers are now much more aware of how the system works and the positives it will bring to their overall driving performance.
“The environment also benefits through a reduction in fuel consumption, which ultimately reduces the company’s carbon footprint.
“Stagecoach North East continues to be one of the top performing regions operating the Eco Driver System in the UK, which is no easy feat, especially as we operate in a number of busy cities. “Our drivers have always taken great care when driving, but now they can keep on track every day.”

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm #2
Trainer 20551 kicking about on 10s/11s today.
Dan
02 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm #2

Trainer 20551 kicking about on 10s/11s today.

Acky81

02 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm #3
(02 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm)Dan Trainer 20551 kicking about on 10s/11s today.

A trainer on a frontline service??? If they are short of buses why give them away to Newcastle
Acky81
02 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm #3

(02 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm)Dan Trainer 20551 kicking about on 10s/11s today.

A trainer on a frontline service??? If they are short of buses why give them away to Newcastle

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jan 2014, 2:37 pm #4
(02 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm)Acky81 A trainer on a frontline service??? If they are short of buses why give them away to Newcastle

No, as in they are route learning services 10/11 using 20551. Would have put it in the rare/odd workings thread if it was actually in service because that just wouldn't ever happen...really would be a rare working, haha!
Dan
02 Jan 2014, 2:37 pm #4

(02 Jan 2014, 2:36 pm)Acky81 A trainer on a frontline service??? If they are short of buses why give them away to Newcastle

No, as in they are route learning services 10/11 using 20551. Would have put it in the rare/odd workings thread if it was actually in service because that just wouldn't ever happen...really would be a rare working, haha!

tyresmoke

02 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm #5
One of Stockton's vehicles was involved in an RTC in Middlesbrough this afternoon, unsure which vehicle or what route though. 22063 was the changeover for it.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
02 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm #5

One of Stockton's vehicles was involved in an RTC in Middlesbrough this afternoon, unsure which vehicle or what route though. 22063 was the changeover for it.

Adrian

03 Jan 2014, 1:16 am #6
(02 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm)Michael From the Sunderland echo:

Good to see an incentive system in place - a good start at least. I think GNE had something similar, but perhaps just based on fuel economy?

Disappointing that the Echo chose to quote and address the figure as being some huge sum of money though. I don't know what anyone who works there thinks, but to me, a £65 incentive for going over and above the scope of your job isn't really rewarding anyone.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Jan 2014, 1:16 am #6

(02 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm)Michael From the Sunderland echo:

Good to see an incentive system in place - a good start at least. I think GNE had something similar, but perhaps just based on fuel economy?

Disappointing that the Echo chose to quote and address the figure as being some huge sum of money though. I don't know what anyone who works there thinks, but to me, a £65 incentive for going over and above the scope of your job isn't really rewarding anyone.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 4:41 am #7
(03 Jan 2014, 1:16 am)aureolin Good to see an incentive system in place - a good start at least. I think GNE had something similar, but perhaps just based on fuel economy?

From the point of view of a long serving driver, 65 quid is nothing. Less than (or equates to) a full shift's wage, and there are better priorities in life, like a fag at Grindon, Doxford Park or Hylton Castle.

As far as I know, it has been treated like a running joke. Or maybe that's just because they didn't even get 65 quid cos their driving is amazing. Wink

On the flip side of the coin, to some drivers, 65 quid is 65 quid. That's a nice bottle of perfume for the missus, and a cheeky bet at Coral.

Of course there's a point at which it would be irrational to roll out such a scheme, for what it's worth. How much more than a total of £10k would you have given out in bonuses?
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 4:41 am #7

(03 Jan 2014, 1:16 am)aureolin Good to see an incentive system in place - a good start at least. I think GNE had something similar, but perhaps just based on fuel economy?

From the point of view of a long serving driver, 65 quid is nothing. Less than (or equates to) a full shift's wage, and there are better priorities in life, like a fag at Grindon, Doxford Park or Hylton Castle.

As far as I know, it has been treated like a running joke. Or maybe that's just because they didn't even get 65 quid cos their driving is amazing. Wink

On the flip side of the coin, to some drivers, 65 quid is 65 quid. That's a nice bottle of perfume for the missus, and a cheeky bet at Coral.

Of course there's a point at which it would be irrational to roll out such a scheme, for what it's worth. How much more than a total of £10k would you have given out in bonuses?

03 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm #8
When does the gas buses go on the road
jamesmccrossan@yahoo.co.uk
03 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm #8

When does the gas buses go on the road

Michael

03 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm #9
(03 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm)jamesmccrossan@yahoo.co.uk When does the gas buses go on the road

Not untill February, that's the latest, this due to the re-fueling station not yet built, work has started on it though, the additional 23 are due to arrive later in the year and will be allocated to services 3 and 13.

So by end of 2014, we will have gas buses on the
Edited 03 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
03 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm #9

(03 Jan 2014, 4:11 pm)jamesmccrossan@yahoo.co.uk When does the gas buses go on the road

Not untill February, that's the latest, this due to the re-fueling station not yet built, work has started on it though, the additional 23 are due to arrive later in the year and will be allocated to services 3 and 13.

So by end of 2014, we will have gas buses on the

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm #10
(03 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm)ADLEnviro Greenroad.

Don't have a lot of details at hand but, Green road payment is about 30p per day for all days you drive within the standards the system is set at. Working days are about 240 a year so total up to around £65 a year, I just cant remember if you lose 1 day, week or month if you don't hit the standards. So its a max payment of £65 emmm minus the tax on it, still not a bad bonus though.

Any idea if these payments are tax deductable expenses from the Stagecoach accounts?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm #10

Don't have a lot of details at hand but, Green road payment is about 30p per day for all days you drive within the standards the system is set at. Working days are about 240 a year so total up to around £65 a year, I just cant remember if you lose 1 day, week or month if you don't hit the standards. So its a max payment of £65 emmm minus the tax on it, still not a bad bonus though.

Any idea if these payments are tax deductable expenses from the Stagecoach accounts?

tyresmoke

03 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #11

It was an averaged score over the week (Sun-Sat to match the rotas) and if you were below a specific figure you got the bonus for that week. Of course you had to get the right score for all 4 weeks to get the £5 bonus that month. It was paid just before Christmas.

tyresmoke
03 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm #11

It was an averaged score over the week (Sun-Sat to match the rotas) and if you were below a specific figure you got the bonus for that week. Of course you had to get the right score for all 4 weeks to get the £5 bonus that month. It was paid just before Christmas.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm #12
It seems 24105 has joined 24106 at Newcastle for engine work - towed by Mr. Ian Bradley today, as seen here.
Dan
03 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm #12

It seems 24105 has joined 24106 at Newcastle for engine work - towed by Mr. Ian Bradley today, as seen here.

Adrian

03 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm #13
(03 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm)andreos1 Any idea if these payments are tax deductable expenses from the Stagecoach accounts?

I'd doubt it. Anything above £25 in cash is subject to tax & NI and must be recorded on a payslip iirc?

I really don't think that the equivalent of 30p a day is an incentive for the amount of extra thinking you'd have to do to please the system. I've never driven a bus, but I'd imagine drivers have enough to think about (driving aside), without having to try and make a telematics system happy.

Adrian
03 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm #13

(03 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm)andreos1 Any idea if these payments are tax deductable expenses from the Stagecoach accounts?

I'd doubt it. Anything above £25 in cash is subject to tax & NI and must be recorded on a payslip iirc?

I really don't think that the equivalent of 30p a day is an incentive for the amount of extra thinking you'd have to do to please the system. I've never driven a bus, but I'd imagine drivers have enough to think about (driving aside), without having to try and make a telematics system happy.

Andreos1

03 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm #14
Just had a quick look on HMRC.
You are probably right in the bonus scheme, but there is a 100% first year capital allowances - for investments in green technologies.

I imagine this system falls into the green technology category.

Andreos1
03 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm #14

Just had a quick look on HMRC.
You are probably right in the bonus scheme, but there is a 100% first year capital allowances - for investments in green technologies.

I imagine this system falls into the green technology category.

Wellsey18

04 Jan 2014, 10:43 am #15
Go north east have a similar thing on all their optare buses
Wellsey18
04 Jan 2014, 10:43 am #15

Go north east have a similar thing on all their optare buses

Michael

04 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm #16
Does anyone know if Sunderland's gas buses will have WIFI?

Since its on a few services in Newcastle, was just wondering

I hope they have stop announcements to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm #16

Does anyone know if Sunderland's gas buses will have WIFI?

Since its on a few services in Newcastle, was just wondering

I hope they have stop announcements to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm #17
(04 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm)ADLEnviro Interior wise its just a bog standard Enviro 300, only thing i have found unusual is the large seat at the near side front, already named as the fat ar@@ seat.

Will see if I can get a pic to work.

Bagsy the fat arse seat!!
Dan
04 Jan 2014, 8:38 pm #17

(04 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm)ADLEnviro Interior wise its just a bog standard Enviro 300, only thing i have found unusual is the large seat at the near side front, already named as the fat ar@@ seat.

Will see if I can get a pic to work.

Bagsy the fat arse seat!!

Michael

04 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm #18
Do they still have the "new bus smell"?

How is the progress with the re-fueling station?

ADLEnviro do you work for Stagecoach Sunderland? - just a general question
Edited 04 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm #18

Do they still have the "new bus smell"?

How is the progress with the re-fueling station?

ADLEnviro do you work for Stagecoach Sunderland? - just a general question

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

ROBIN

04 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm #19
Michael. Is 22021 still at sunderland have not seen it for a while. can you send me a Photo of it. Regards Robin
ROBIN
04 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm #19

Michael. Is 22021 still at sunderland have not seen it for a while. can you send me a Photo of it. Regards Robin

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm #20
(04 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm)ROBIN Michael. Is 22021 still at sunderland have not seen it for a while. can you send me a Photo of it. Regards Robin

Appeared to be at Shields last time I saw it, after the brief stint at Sunderland? Thought it was something to do with the engine, but not 100% on that one.
Dan
04 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm #20

(04 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm)ROBIN Michael. Is 22021 still at sunderland have not seen it for a while. can you send me a Photo of it. Regards Robin

Appeared to be at Shields last time I saw it, after the brief stint at Sunderland? Thought it was something to do with the engine, but not 100% on that one.

Pages (8) 1 2 38 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average