Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat What is the worst bus company you have ever dealt with?

What is the worst bus company you have ever dealt with?

What is the worst bus company you have ever dealt with?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Josh

10 Apr 2016, 12:12 am #1
What is the worst bus company you have ever dealt with whether it being a North East bus company or a company from a different region
Josh
10 Apr 2016, 12:12 am #1

What is the worst bus company you have ever dealt with whether it being a North East bus company or a company from a different region

10 Apr 2016, 12:38 am #2
John Bell Coaches - had one of their drivers on rail replacement grab a hold at me at Central Station and threaten me in 2001 right in front of some British Transport police officers. My mam phoned the company to complain and they did nothing.

Other than that, it's difficult to single out my least liked company from a passenger point of view.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
10 Apr 2016, 12:38 am #2

John Bell Coaches - had one of their drivers on rail replacement grab a hold at me at Central Station and threaten me in 2001 right in front of some British Transport police officers. My mam phoned the company to complain and they did nothing.

Other than that, it's difficult to single out my least liked company from a passenger point of view.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

LeeCalder

10 Apr 2016, 6:37 am #3
My least liked companies are probably Catch 22 Bus in Blackpool, Gateshead Central Taxis and I wasn't a fan of Tates Travel.
LeeCalder
10 Apr 2016, 6:37 am #3

My least liked companies are probably Catch 22 Bus in Blackpool, Gateshead Central Taxis and I wasn't a fan of Tates Travel.

Jimmi

10 Apr 2016, 7:37 am #4
(10 Apr 2016, 6:37 am)LeeCalder My least liked companies are probably Catch 22 Bus in Blackpool, Gateshead Central Taxis and I wasn't a fan of Tates Travel.
Any reasons why?
Jimmi
10 Apr 2016, 7:37 am #4

(10 Apr 2016, 6:37 am)LeeCalder My least liked companies are probably Catch 22 Bus in Blackpool, Gateshead Central Taxis and I wasn't a fan of Tates Travel.
Any reasons why?

MurdnunoC

10 Apr 2016, 7:38 am #5
I can't think of any instances which would make me single out one particular company as 'the worst I've ever dealt with'. But, then again, I really don't have much reason to complain and the question the OP posits if largely subjective anyway.

The bus, to me, is simply a conduit for getting from A to B within the allotted time allowed for in the timetable. It can be inconvenient when that standard isn't met - especially when my journey is contingent on connections - but sometimes this is out of the control of the operator and most (if not all) operators have fallen foul of not running to timetable on occasion. If it becomes a regular occurrence, I am lucky enough to be able to choose my car over bus (which I appreciate is not a choice available to all - but this is based upon my own experience). Because of this, I have little experience in dealing with customer services as I simply make other provision rather than spending time complaining.

Outside of timetabling issues, I really don't care if the driver is well presented or acknowledges me when I board or alight. I am indifferent towards whether a bus has WiFi as I'm fortunate enough to have a generous amount of mobile data provided my phone operator. I would of course prefer plug sockets to be operational but, overall, it is a minor issue on short journeys. Besides, if I forget to charge my phone in the house before getting on the bus, I can hardly hold the operator responsible. As long as it gets me where I want to go I am not bothered whether the bus is branded or the correct vehicle type.

Each operator has their positives and negatives.
MurdnunoC
10 Apr 2016, 7:38 am #5

I can't think of any instances which would make me single out one particular company as 'the worst I've ever dealt with'. But, then again, I really don't have much reason to complain and the question the OP posits if largely subjective anyway.

The bus, to me, is simply a conduit for getting from A to B within the allotted time allowed for in the timetable. It can be inconvenient when that standard isn't met - especially when my journey is contingent on connections - but sometimes this is out of the control of the operator and most (if not all) operators have fallen foul of not running to timetable on occasion. If it becomes a regular occurrence, I am lucky enough to be able to choose my car over bus (which I appreciate is not a choice available to all - but this is based upon my own experience). Because of this, I have little experience in dealing with customer services as I simply make other provision rather than spending time complaining.

Outside of timetabling issues, I really don't care if the driver is well presented or acknowledges me when I board or alight. I am indifferent towards whether a bus has WiFi as I'm fortunate enough to have a generous amount of mobile data provided my phone operator. I would of course prefer plug sockets to be operational but, overall, it is a minor issue on short journeys. Besides, if I forget to charge my phone in the house before getting on the bus, I can hardly hold the operator responsible. As long as it gets me where I want to go I am not bothered whether the bus is branded or the correct vehicle type.

Each operator has their positives and negatives.

Jimmi

10 Apr 2016, 8:04 am #6
Despite some claims the other night, I haven't really had any reasons to complain about an operator, there has been a few incidents with maybe the odd driver but this has been it really, don't think it's really enough to take such a negative view over one operator.

I noticed that Gateshead Central Taxis has been mentioned, I hear people slagging them of especially on here on a regular basis and quite often it is over absolutely nothing at times, the Bluebird's aren't the nicest buses in the world but it still gets people from A-B at the end of the day, on some of their routes I think Solo's could being too large to get round the routes and also Solos may not be cost effective to use on some routes, it would be daft allocating 30 odd seater Solo's to a route that gets around 10 passengers max on any journey. This is a fact we kinda have to face, operators usually pick buses based on what the passenger numbers are like or what a contract specifies, you can agree or disagree with that. Also I wonder how many people who slag GCT off actually use them?

A bit like MurdnunoC, at the end of the day, if the bus gets you to A-B what's the problem? Don't get me wrong it's a little annoying when say the WiFi doesn't work but it's not the end of the world really. I usually only feel the need to complain to an operator if I feel something really bad needs to be brought to their attention, I know I raised comments about the GNE X66 allocations the other day but when I got to the MetroCentre I was unable to walk properly.
Jimmi
10 Apr 2016, 8:04 am #6

Despite some claims the other night, I haven't really had any reasons to complain about an operator, there has been a few incidents with maybe the odd driver but this has been it really, don't think it's really enough to take such a negative view over one operator.

I noticed that Gateshead Central Taxis has been mentioned, I hear people slagging them of especially on here on a regular basis and quite often it is over absolutely nothing at times, the Bluebird's aren't the nicest buses in the world but it still gets people from A-B at the end of the day, on some of their routes I think Solo's could being too large to get round the routes and also Solos may not be cost effective to use on some routes, it would be daft allocating 30 odd seater Solo's to a route that gets around 10 passengers max on any journey. This is a fact we kinda have to face, operators usually pick buses based on what the passenger numbers are like or what a contract specifies, you can agree or disagree with that. Also I wonder how many people who slag GCT off actually use them?

A bit like MurdnunoC, at the end of the day, if the bus gets you to A-B what's the problem? Don't get me wrong it's a little annoying when say the WiFi doesn't work but it's not the end of the world really. I usually only feel the need to complain to an operator if I feel something really bad needs to be brought to their attention, I know I raised comments about the GNE X66 allocations the other day but when I got to the MetroCentre I was unable to walk properly.

Andreos1

10 Apr 2016, 8:09 am #7
If we are using the term 'worst' and linking it to the number of complaints I have made, amount of late running/early running, reductions to services, price increases that are at times above proportion, drivers who have had stand up arguments, customer services who provide innacurate data and fail to adequately respond in addition to experiencing run-ins with drunken or stoned passengers - then GNE are the worst.
However, my usage is disproportiately larger than other operators.

Based on limited travel (the last being 8 years ago), Coastliner is my favourite by a country mile.
However, if I was to use them as frequently as GNE, my answer may be totally different.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Apr 2016, 8:09 am #7

If we are using the term 'worst' and linking it to the number of complaints I have made, amount of late running/early running, reductions to services, price increases that are at times above proportion, drivers who have had stand up arguments, customer services who provide innacurate data and fail to adequately respond in addition to experiencing run-ins with drunken or stoned passengers - then GNE are the worst.
However, my usage is disproportiately larger than other operators.

Based on limited travel (the last being 8 years ago), Coastliner is my favourite by a country mile.
However, if I was to use them as frequently as GNE, my answer may be totally different.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

10 Apr 2016, 8:13 am #8
I reckon it would be Gateshead Central Taxis or PCL travel because PCL's buses never turn up and Gateshead Central Taxis because the driver didn't pull in to Regent Centre on the T3, my mam complained and we are still awaiting a response
NK53 TKT
10 Apr 2016, 8:13 am #8

I reckon it would be Gateshead Central Taxis or PCL travel because PCL's buses never turn up and Gateshead Central Taxis because the driver didn't pull in to Regent Centre on the T3, my mam complained and we are still awaiting a response

MurdnunoC

10 Apr 2016, 8:16 am #9
(10 Apr 2016, 8:04 am)Jimmi I noticed that Gateshead Central Taxis has been mentioned, I hear people slagging them of especially on here on a regular basis and quite often it is over absolutely nothing at times, the Bluebird's aren't the nicest buses in the world but it still gets people from A-B at the end of the day, on some of their routes I think Solo's could being too large to get round the routes and also Solos may not be cost effective to use on some routes, it would be daft allocating 30 odd seater Solo's to a route that gets around 10 passengers max on any journey. This is a fact we kinda have to face, operators usually pick buses based on what the passenger numbers are like or what a contract specifies, you can agree or disagree with that. Also I wonder how many people who slag GCT off actually use them?

I use GCT on occasion and don't have any complaints. 

As you state, Bluebirds aren't the most comfortable vehicle to travel on, but they do a job and provide a service to those who otherwise wouldn't have one. One thing I quite like about the GCT Bluebirds is the presence of the radio. While the music played by drivers isn't always to my taste, it is different and quaint to say the least.
MurdnunoC
10 Apr 2016, 8:16 am #9

(10 Apr 2016, 8:04 am)Jimmi I noticed that Gateshead Central Taxis has been mentioned, I hear people slagging them of especially on here on a regular basis and quite often it is over absolutely nothing at times, the Bluebird's aren't the nicest buses in the world but it still gets people from A-B at the end of the day, on some of their routes I think Solo's could being too large to get round the routes and also Solos may not be cost effective to use on some routes, it would be daft allocating 30 odd seater Solo's to a route that gets around 10 passengers max on any journey. This is a fact we kinda have to face, operators usually pick buses based on what the passenger numbers are like or what a contract specifies, you can agree or disagree with that. Also I wonder how many people who slag GCT off actually use them?

I use GCT on occasion and don't have any complaints. 

As you state, Bluebirds aren't the most comfortable vehicle to travel on, but they do a job and provide a service to those who otherwise wouldn't have one. One thing I quite like about the GCT Bluebirds is the presence of the radio. While the music played by drivers isn't always to my taste, it is different and quaint to say the least.

LeeCalder

10 Apr 2016, 8:17 am #10

Catch 22 Bus - I lost a lot of trust for Catch 22 Bus when I heard that their owner had been too court, also the state of their fleet leaves a lot to be desired. They don't appear to believe in indicators also.

Gateshead Central Taxis - Again the fact they have been to court a few times, I have also had a few run-ins with their drivers in the past who have confronted me for taking a photo. I and a few others have also had trouble of a GCT minibus driver on the way to an away game before. Finally, they cannot keep to a timetable. I am fine with a service running late, but not to the extent of GCT, they may already be late but their drivers usually stop for a fag break in Birtley at some stage.

Tates Travel - Well their fleet was held together with gaffa tape. Literally.
LeeCalder
10 Apr 2016, 8:17 am #10

Catch 22 Bus - I lost a lot of trust for Catch 22 Bus when I heard that their owner had been too court, also the state of their fleet leaves a lot to be desired. They don't appear to believe in indicators also.

Gateshead Central Taxis - Again the fact they have been to court a few times, I have also had a few run-ins with their drivers in the past who have confronted me for taking a photo. I and a few others have also had trouble of a GCT minibus driver on the way to an away game before. Finally, they cannot keep to a timetable. I am fine with a service running late, but not to the extent of GCT, they may already be late but their drivers usually stop for a fag break in Birtley at some stage.

Tates Travel - Well their fleet was held together with gaffa tape. Literally.

James101

10 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm #11
I have to second the nomination for Catch 22 bus. One experience I had with them was hilarious for an enthusiast, horrific for a passenger.

It was their first go at the X70 Manchester - Blackpool operated with ex London bendi Citaros. We left Manchester about 30 mins late, I was the only passenger on board though the driver, Wendy, was lovely. All okay, if rather slow, until we got onto the M55 toward Blackpool. Wendy leaves the motorway onto an exit which goes straight onto a roundabout formed by bridges over the M55 below. Pulls the huge bus, two (or 6) wheels on the kerb on the bridge and explains to me as she's so late  a shuttle is going to meet us to take me to Blackpool and she'll go back to Manchester to get back on schedule. 

The shuttle was only one of their Routemasters bombing up the Motorway! Laden itself with passengers to change onto the Citaro to go to Manchester. A very awkward and dangerous passenger swap ensues and we continue to Blackpool, I was sat on the bottom deck and in awe of the open step just meters away as we reached 50mph. 

The return journey was the same Citaro and same driver which gave me a passing thought round working/driving hours as she must have been on the road for at least 11 hours now and looking at the timetable I couldn't work out where she could have had a decent break. Grand total of 3 passengers to go back. Before we left Blackpool we call at the Esso Garage by the coach park to fill up on diesel despite being in service which takes a good 15 minutes. Somewhere along the East Lancs Road the bus slows to a crawl and the rear saloon starts to fill with smoke. In typical Citaro style it's overheated and is knackered! Wendy tries her best but it's no use. 

Being an absolute hero her priority was trying to call a taxi to take the passengers into Manchester, alas no-one will pick us up at the side of the East Lancs in fading light. Soon someone from Classic Bus management (as was the company name then) arrives to confirm the bus is indeed knackered and then to most surprising and technically illegal thing happens. 

We all get in his Ford Focus and Wendy drives us into town in that instead! 

I doubt I'll have a more bizarre bus travel experience again.
Edited 10 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm by James101.
James101
10 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm #11

I have to second the nomination for Catch 22 bus. One experience I had with them was hilarious for an enthusiast, horrific for a passenger.

It was their first go at the X70 Manchester - Blackpool operated with ex London bendi Citaros. We left Manchester about 30 mins late, I was the only passenger on board though the driver, Wendy, was lovely. All okay, if rather slow, until we got onto the M55 toward Blackpool. Wendy leaves the motorway onto an exit which goes straight onto a roundabout formed by bridges over the M55 below. Pulls the huge bus, two (or 6) wheels on the kerb on the bridge and explains to me as she's so late  a shuttle is going to meet us to take me to Blackpool and she'll go back to Manchester to get back on schedule. 

The shuttle was only one of their Routemasters bombing up the Motorway! Laden itself with passengers to change onto the Citaro to go to Manchester. A very awkward and dangerous passenger swap ensues and we continue to Blackpool, I was sat on the bottom deck and in awe of the open step just meters away as we reached 50mph. 

The return journey was the same Citaro and same driver which gave me a passing thought round working/driving hours as she must have been on the road for at least 11 hours now and looking at the timetable I couldn't work out where she could have had a decent break. Grand total of 3 passengers to go back. Before we left Blackpool we call at the Esso Garage by the coach park to fill up on diesel despite being in service which takes a good 15 minutes. Somewhere along the East Lancs Road the bus slows to a crawl and the rear saloon starts to fill with smoke. In typical Citaro style it's overheated and is knackered! Wendy tries her best but it's no use. 

Being an absolute hero her priority was trying to call a taxi to take the passengers into Manchester, alas no-one will pick us up at the side of the East Lancs in fading light. Soon someone from Classic Bus management (as was the company name then) arrives to confirm the bus is indeed knackered and then to most surprising and technically illegal thing happens. 

11 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm #12
(10 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm)James101 I have to second the nomination for Catch 22 bus. One experience I had with them was hilarious for an enthusiast, horrific for a passenger.

That sounds, as you say, absolutely hilarious! The sort of thing that would draw me to such an operation to experience it Big Grin

Honestly, that has made my night!! Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
11 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm #12

(10 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm)James101 I have to second the nomination for Catch 22 bus. One experience I had with them was hilarious for an enthusiast, horrific for a passenger.

That sounds, as you say, absolutely hilarious! The sort of thing that would draw me to such an operation to experience it Big Grin

Honestly, that has made my night!! Smile

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

BusLoverMum

11 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm #13

I'm with Northern. I read this yesterday, just before the site completely keeled over. Made me Big Grin I had 2 "eventful" bus journeys in 2 days last week and they both fade into sheer mundanity compared with this.

I'd probably have sworn rather creatively in the same situation, mind.
BusLoverMum
11 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm #13

I'm with Northern. I read this yesterday, just before the site completely keeled over. Made me Big Grin I had 2 "eventful" bus journeys in 2 days last week and they both fade into sheer mundanity compared with this.

I'd probably have sworn rather creatively in the same situation, mind.

James101

11 Apr 2016, 10:35 pm #14
Thanks folks! It's worth reiterating everyone I met working for the company was lovely, they just seemed to be struggling with running a bus operation!
James101
11 Apr 2016, 10:35 pm #14

Thanks folks! It's worth reiterating everyone I met working for the company was lovely, they just seemed to be struggling with running a bus operation!

Ambassador

13 Apr 2016, 10:43 am #15
It's all relative. I mainly travel with Arriva and GNE and on core routes.

I've got issues with the Angel but we know that's not solely the fault of GNE, aside Sunday timetabling. I find the Facebook team incredibly condescending and somewhat unhelpful. Twitter on the other hand is managed well, whether they have more freedom but I've had some good craic with GNE via Twitter.

When I delve off core routes and end up on the Wagggonway, my view changes, older buses, poorly maintained, unreliable, I realise that route can't be commercially exciting and it's a business but still, it's a lack of decent service.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
13 Apr 2016, 10:43 am #15

It's all relative. I mainly travel with Arriva and GNE and on core routes.

I've got issues with the Angel but we know that's not solely the fault of GNE, aside Sunday timetabling. I find the Facebook team incredibly condescending and somewhat unhelpful. Twitter on the other hand is managed well, whether they have more freedom but I've had some good craic with GNE via Twitter.

When I delve off core routes and end up on the Wagggonway, my view changes, older buses, poorly maintained, unreliable, I realise that route can't be commercially exciting and it's a business but still, it's a lack of decent service.

LeeCalder

13 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm #16
(13 Apr 2016, 10:43 am)Ambassador It's all relative. I mainly travel with Arriva and GNE and on core routes.

I have to say I agree, looking at the Facebook pages of other companies nationwide they have a laugh and try to resolve issues in a humorous way, but GNE's Facebook team are very serious in responses etc, and sometimes sarcastic.
Edited 13 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm by LeeCalder.
LeeCalder
13 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm #16

(13 Apr 2016, 10:43 am)Ambassador It's all relative. I mainly travel with Arriva and GNE and on core routes.

I have to say I agree, looking at the Facebook pages of other companies nationwide they have a laugh and try to resolve issues in a humorous way, but GNE's Facebook team are very serious in responses etc, and sometimes sarcastic.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm #17

Extra bus being added into Sunday PVR to improve reliability, so hopefully that will fix some of your issues with the Angel...

Same person manages the Facebook and Twitter page - just depends on who is on Social Media duties that day.
Dan
13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm #17

Extra bus being added into Sunday PVR to improve reliability, so hopefully that will fix some of your issues with the Angel...

Same person manages the Facebook and Twitter page - just depends on who is on Social Media duties that day.

James101

13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm #18
I've only had one negative run-in with GNE. Way back when they had the Marshal Darts on the drifter and there was a 62(?) route Seaham - Easington Lane -Peterlee.

I was unfamiliar with Easington Lane where there are two bus stops a few yards apart, though one was for setting down only. As my service, the final bus to Peterlee of the day, appeared the driver acknowledged me with a shake of the head and wag of the finger and sailed past before I realised I had picked the wrong stop.

What sort of horrible vindictive person do you have to be to decide to leave a 14 year old by the side of the road when they've clearly made a simple mistake?

In the other hand i was once a regular on the 8pm southbound X10 from Newcastle and became friendly with the regular driver, Trish. She was always exemplary with her customers and I even once nominated her for driver of the year. She won and I got a free buzzfare!
James101
13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm #18

I've only had one negative run-in with GNE. Way back when they had the Marshal Darts on the drifter and there was a 62(?) route Seaham - Easington Lane -Peterlee.

I was unfamiliar with Easington Lane where there are two bus stops a few yards apart, though one was for setting down only. As my service, the final bus to Peterlee of the day, appeared the driver acknowledged me with a shake of the head and wag of the finger and sailed past before I realised I had picked the wrong stop.

What sort of horrible vindictive person do you have to be to decide to leave a 14 year old by the side of the road when they've clearly made a simple mistake?

In the other hand i was once a regular on the 8pm southbound X10 from Newcastle and became friendly with the regular driver, Trish. She was always exemplary with her customers and I even once nominated her for driver of the year. She won and I got a free buzzfare!

13 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm #19
The only bad thing about GNE is the Q3:

Buses are in bad condition
Buses are nearly never on time
Buses are to small
Some of the NSAs don't work
NK53 TKT
13 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm #19

The only bad thing about GNE is the Q3:

Buses are in bad condition
Buses are nearly never on time
Buses are to small
Some of the NSAs don't work

Ambassador

13 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm #20
(13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm)Dan Same person manages the Facebook and Twitter page - just depends on who is on Social Media duties that day.

That's so odd. My role involves overseeing social customer care and I regularly read the GNE Twitter and Facebook posts and they are chalk and cheese.

Admittedly Facebook is used by older less tech savvy poorer education demos when viewed vs Twitter.

Maybe it's the characters or the emojis, but the tone is so much lighter and fresher. It's actually really good. Facebook however needs a lot of work and sometimes as a professional, I read and cringe

Ambassador
13 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm #20

(13 Apr 2016, 1:09 pm)Dan Same person manages the Facebook and Twitter page - just depends on who is on Social Media duties that day.

That's so odd. My role involves overseeing social customer care and I regularly read the GNE Twitter and Facebook posts and they are chalk and cheese.

Admittedly Facebook is used by older less tech savvy poorer education demos when viewed vs Twitter.

Maybe it's the characters or the emojis, but the tone is so much lighter and fresher. It's actually really good. Facebook however needs a lot of work and sometimes as a professional, I read and cringe

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average