Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Driving A Bus

Driving A Bus

Driving A Bus

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Multi21

22 May 2016, 2:33 pm #1
As some of you have had a go at driving a bus today at the Go North East depot. How would you describe the experience? Would you do it again?
Multi21
22 May 2016, 2:33 pm #1

As some of you have had a go at driving a bus today at the Go North East depot. How would you describe the experience? Would you do it again?

22 May 2016, 4:14 pm #2
(22 May 2016, 2:33 pm)Multi21 As some of you have had a go at driving a bus today at the Go North East depot. How would you describe the experience? Would you do it again?

Didn't drive anything as I'm too young, Though I spent the majority of my time in the cabs of various vehicles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No one could manage to get the PB Streetlites electrics on, Though someone saved the day... Big Grin I actually enjoyed the Streetlite's cab the most out of the lot, Eventhough its very basic compared to the Volvo's.

Only 4 more years till I can have any sort of drivers licence, So I've got a few more years of just playing on static vehicles!

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 4:14 pm #2

(22 May 2016, 2:33 pm)Multi21 As some of you have had a go at driving a bus today at the Go North East depot. How would you describe the experience? Would you do it again?

Didn't drive anything as I'm too young, Though I spent the majority of my time in the cabs of various vehicles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No one could manage to get the PB Streetlites electrics on, Though someone saved the day... Big Grin I actually enjoyed the Streetlite's cab the most out of the lot, Eventhough its very basic compared to the Volvo's.

Only 4 more years till I can have any sort of drivers licence, So I've got a few more years of just playing on static vehicles!

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

22 May 2016, 4:30 pm #3

My dad thoroughly enjoyed driving 3972
NK53 TKT
22 May 2016, 4:30 pm #3

My dad thoroughly enjoyed driving 3972

BusLoverMum

22 May 2016, 4:32 pm #4
(22 May 2016, 4:14 pm)South Tyne Lad Didn't drive anything as I'm too young, Though I spent the majority of my time in the cabs of various vehicles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No one could manage to get the PB Streetlites electrics on, Though someone saved the day...  Big Grin  I actually enjoyed the Streetlite's cab the most out of the lot, Eventhough its very basic compared to the Volvo's.

Only 4.5 years until Big'un's old enough to drive. The thought terrifies me. He has very little road sense and i suspect will have to be catching the bus for many years to come.
BusLoverMum
22 May 2016, 4:32 pm #4

(22 May 2016, 4:14 pm)South Tyne Lad Didn't drive anything as I'm too young, Though I spent the majority of my time in the cabs of various vehicles and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No one could manage to get the PB Streetlites electrics on, Though someone saved the day...  Big Grin  I actually enjoyed the Streetlite's cab the most out of the lot, Eventhough its very basic compared to the Volvo's.

Only 4.5 years until Big'un's old enough to drive. The thought terrifies me. He has very little road sense and i suspect will have to be catching the bus for many years to come.

22 May 2016, 4:42 pm #5
(22 May 2016, 4:32 pm)BusLoverMum Only 4.5 years until Big'un's old enough to drive. The thought terrifies me. He has very little road sense and i suspect will have to be catching the bus for many years to come.

He must be the same age as me, There's talk of my school getting me a apprenticeship at a bus company next term, ( In Year 9 ) Though it will definitely not be driving cause I'm not old enough.
Probably something in the Depot. And knowing my school it will probably be at GCT!

South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 4:42 pm #5

(22 May 2016, 4:32 pm)BusLoverMum Only 4.5 years until Big'un's old enough to drive. The thought terrifies me. He has very little road sense and i suspect will have to be catching the bus for many years to come.

He must be the same age as me, There's talk of my school getting me a apprenticeship at a bus company next term, ( In Year 9 ) Though it will definitely not be driving cause I'm not old enough.
Probably something in the Depot. And knowing my school it will probably be at GCT!

S813 FVK

22 May 2016, 4:45 pm #6
(22 May 2016, 4:42 pm)South Tyne Lad He must be the same age as me, There's talk of my school getting me a apprenticeship at a bus company next term, ( In Year 9 ) Though it will definitely not be driving cause I'm not old enough.

Interesting you mention that, it was quite nice to hear that Gateshead College did apprenticeships for the company, too. Not quite sure which areas they do them in but i'd love to spend more time in that control room like! Absolutely fantastic.
S813 FVK
22 May 2016, 4:45 pm #6

(22 May 2016, 4:42 pm)South Tyne Lad He must be the same age as me, There's talk of my school getting me a apprenticeship at a bus company next term, ( In Year 9 ) Though it will definitely not be driving cause I'm not old enough.

Interesting you mention that, it was quite nice to hear that Gateshead College did apprenticeships for the company, too. Not quite sure which areas they do them in but i'd love to spend more time in that control room like! Absolutely fantastic.

citaro5284

22 May 2016, 4:48 pm #7
(22 May 2016, 4:45 pm)S813 FVK Interesting you mention that, it was quite nice to hear that Gateshead College did apprenticeships for the company, too. Not quite sure which areas they do them in but i'd love to spend more time in that control room like! Absolutely fantastic.

We send Apprentices there from the engineering side.

So next time your bus is late, just think about them people working in the Service Delivery Centre.  It can get pretty hectic in there!
citaro5284
22 May 2016, 4:48 pm #7

(22 May 2016, 4:45 pm)S813 FVK Interesting you mention that, it was quite nice to hear that Gateshead College did apprenticeships for the company, too. Not quite sure which areas they do them in but i'd love to spend more time in that control room like! Absolutely fantastic.

We send Apprentices there from the engineering side.

So next time your bus is late, just think about them people working in the Service Delivery Centre.  It can get pretty hectic in there!

22 May 2016, 4:50 pm #8

Which company? Never got round to the tour round the depot, Though some of the men on the gates let me in for some photos of the maintenance bays and jacks etc.
I like a more physical job compared to computers, Though any job will be a change so I'm up for it!

South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 4:50 pm #8

Which company? Never got round to the tour round the depot, Though some of the men on the gates let me in for some photos of the maintenance bays and jacks etc.
I like a more physical job compared to computers, Though any job will be a change so I'm up for it!

BusLoverMum

22 May 2016, 4:50 pm #9

He's the older end of year 7, so 12.5.

Even GCT would be good work experience. You could see how it's not done!
BusLoverMum
22 May 2016, 4:50 pm #9

He's the older end of year 7, so 12.5.

22 May 2016, 4:54 pm #10
(22 May 2016, 4:50 pm)BusLoverMum He's the older end of year 7, so 12.5.

Same as me, I'm just a July birthday... I can't do work experience in Y7 Angry
NK53 TKT
22 May 2016, 4:54 pm #10

Same as me, I'm just a July birthday... I can't do work experience in Y7 Angry

22 May 2016, 4:55 pm #11
I drove 3973 and 3966 today.

Weren't my first buses I've driven; I've had a go on a preserved Leyland Olympian previously so have a wee bit of past experience. Really enjoyed the Volvos, very responsive and it's such a brilliant feeling knowing you have control of a huge, heavy and long vehicle! Managed to park up next to the kerb perfectly on my first run too Big Grin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
northern156
22 May 2016, 4:55 pm #11

I drove 3973 and 3966 today.

Weren't my first buses I've driven; I've had a go on a preserved Leyland Olympian previously so have a wee bit of past experience. Really enjoyed the Volvos, very responsive and it's such a brilliant feeling knowing you have control of a huge, heavy and long vehicle! Managed to park up next to the kerb perfectly on my first run too Big Grin

22 May 2016, 5:04 pm #12

Ah right, My birthdays October so I'm 13.5.

I suppose, Though there's less variety and most things I've heard about the company is bad things.

(22 May 2016, 4:48 pm)citaro5284 We send Apprentices there from the engineering side.

So next time your bus is late, just think about them people working in the Service Delivery Centre. It can get pretty hectic in there!

Wouldn't be surprised that's where I will end up if I got a Apprentership, I love anything mechanical.
Though like everyone else, The best job will of course be a driver!

South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 5:04 pm #12

Ah right, My birthdays October so I'm 13.5.

I suppose, Though there's less variety and most things I've heard about the company is bad things.

(22 May 2016, 4:48 pm)citaro5284 We send Apprentices there from the engineering side.

So next time your bus is late, just think about them people working in the Service Delivery Centre. It can get pretty hectic in there!

Wouldn't be surprised that's where I will end up if I got a Apprentership, I love anything mechanical.

22 May 2016, 5:05 pm #13
(22 May 2016, 4:55 pm)northern156 I drove 3973 and 3966 today.

Well done mate Smile

I think you could be a good bus driver, And a jolly one too!

South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 5:05 pm #13

(22 May 2016, 4:55 pm)northern156 I drove 3973 and 3966 today.

Well done mate Smile

S813 FVK

22 May 2016, 5:07 pm #14

Not my cup of tea then but i'm not going to Gateshead College next year anyway - too awkward to get to and I didn't really like it when I visited it for an open night

My bus has been doing well for punctuality over the past couple of weeks lately. 4 days has it arrived at the school at around 8:30 (5 minutes earlier than it should) but has been on time getting to my stop (so the chances are, it has become early after I have got on). I know they have been told to make sure the buses are on time (or as on time as they can with any build up in traffic) and it has improved massively and I love it.

One thing that I may suggest contributes to the early running is the route that the drivers take at Hollyhill Gardens. As seen I the attachment, it usually turns right where the 78 would go straight along. Google seems to correspond to this, as does the GNE app (stops shown as 'Hollyhill Gdns Shops' and '17/123 Hollyhill Gdns West'). However, only 1 driver in 2 weeks has actually gone that way and, although it doesn't usually pick anybody up around there, I still don't see why drivers don't go up there, especially when an official company app says that it should.
Attached Files
.png
Hollyhill Gardens.png
Size 1.64 MB / Downloads 18
S813 FVK
22 May 2016, 5:07 pm #14

Not my cup of tea then but i'm not going to Gateshead College next year anyway - too awkward to get to and I didn't really like it when I visited it for an open night

My bus has been doing well for punctuality over the past couple of weeks lately. 4 days has it arrived at the school at around 8:30 (5 minutes earlier than it should) but has been on time getting to my stop (so the chances are, it has become early after I have got on). I know they have been told to make sure the buses are on time (or as on time as they can with any build up in traffic) and it has improved massively and I love it.

One thing that I may suggest contributes to the early running is the route that the drivers take at Hollyhill Gardens. As seen I the attachment, it usually turns right where the 78 would go straight along. Google seems to correspond to this, as does the GNE app (stops shown as 'Hollyhill Gdns Shops' and '17/123 Hollyhill Gdns West'). However, only 1 driver in 2 weeks has actually gone that way and, although it doesn't usually pick anybody up around there, I still don't see why drivers don't go up there, especially when an official company app says that it should.

Attached Files
.png
Hollyhill Gardens.png
Size 1.64 MB / Downloads 18

22 May 2016, 5:10 pm #15
(22 May 2016, 5:05 pm)South Tyne Lad Well done mate Smile

Haha cheers. It's something I'd genuinely love to do but not really possible with my current line of work. Who knows - maybe one day.

northern156
22 May 2016, 5:10 pm #15

(22 May 2016, 5:05 pm)South Tyne Lad Well done mate Smile

Haha cheers. It's something I'd genuinely love to do but not really possible with my current line of work. Who knows - maybe one day.

MurdnunoC

22 May 2016, 5:10 pm #16

While GCT receives a fair amount of criticism (and may not be as flash and have all the mod-cons), for anyone seeking brief work-experience within the bus industry, I feel you'll probably learn more observing an independent than you'll get with one of the larger operators.
MurdnunoC
22 May 2016, 5:10 pm #16

While GCT receives a fair amount of criticism (and may not be as flash and have all the mod-cons), for anyone seeking brief work-experience within the bus industry, I feel you'll probably learn more observing an independent than you'll get with one of the larger operators.

citaro5284

22 May 2016, 5:13 pm #17
(22 May 2016, 5:04 pm)South Tyne Lad Wouldn't be surprised that's where I will end up if I got a Apprenticeship, I love anything mechanical.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-apprent...start-now/

This is the link for this year, but normally its the same every year.
citaro5284
22 May 2016, 5:13 pm #17

(22 May 2016, 5:04 pm)South Tyne Lad Wouldn't be surprised that's where I will end up if I got a Apprenticeship, I love anything mechanical.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-apprent...start-now/

22 May 2016, 5:19 pm #18
(22 May 2016, 5:13 pm)citaro5284 http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-apprent...start-now/

Just read it, It sounds good. Though I'm still not sure what role my school will consider, Could be something else.

(22 May 2016, 5:10 pm)MurdnunoC While GCT receives a fair amount of criticism (and may not be as flash and have all the mod-cons), for anyone seeking brief work-experience within the bus industry, I feel you'll probably learn more observing an independent than you'll get with one of the larger operators.

Thanks for the advice, Though its my schools decision where they send me too, So it could be anywhere.

South Tyne Lad
22 May 2016, 5:19 pm #18

(22 May 2016, 5:13 pm)citaro5284 http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-apprent...start-now/

Just read it, It sounds good. Though I'm still not sure what role my school will consider, Could be something else.

(22 May 2016, 5:10 pm)MurdnunoC While GCT receives a fair amount of criticism (and may not be as flash and have all the mod-cons), for anyone seeking brief work-experience within the bus industry, I feel you'll probably learn more observing an independent than you'll get with one of the larger operators.

Thanks for the advice, Though its my schools decision where they send me too, So it could be anywhere.

Tom

22 May 2016, 5:41 pm #19

Do they still do work experience in schools? I'm in Year 10 now and we've not done any at all but might just be our school.

Actually I think a few people might have done it not sure but you'd think it'd be everyone!
Edited 22 May 2016, 5:41 pm by Tom.
Tom
22 May 2016, 5:41 pm #19

Do they still do work experience in schools? I'm in Year 10 now and we've not done any at all but might just be our school.

Actually I think a few people might have done it not sure but you'd think it'd be everyone!

S813 FVK

22 May 2016, 5:45 pm #20
(22 May 2016, 5:41 pm)Tom Do they still do work experience in schools? I'm in Year 10 now and we've not done any at all but might just be our school.

The only way you can get work experience in my school is if you do Health and Social Care and then its usually in a nursery or care home.
S813 FVK
22 May 2016, 5:45 pm #20

(22 May 2016, 5:41 pm)Tom Do they still do work experience in schools? I'm in Year 10 now and we've not done any at all but might just be our school.

The only way you can get work experience in my school is if you do Health and Social Care and then its usually in a nursery or care home.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average