Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2017

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (22) Previous 16 7 822 Next
S813 FVK

10 May 2017, 3:39 pm #121
(10 May 2017, 12:59 pm)Venturego Timetable also includes service no. M6 along with M7 & M8 under this brand.

I think it looks amateurish (as do many GNE brands) IMO should have extended Venture, with maybe a sub/tag line for these services: "Venture into the Metro Centre" and include "intu Metro Centre" brand within this cant strip if intu are paying advertising monies/promotional spend.

I disagree. I think Go North East's brands have actually improved, no more of that awful branding we saw a few years ago on the Crusader when the Mercs first transferred over (which still served its purpose, that must be said!).

I don't think the services wouldn't work in the Venture brand unless they were to be renumbered V6/V7/V8. I admit it would have been a good opportunity to tidy the Venture vehicles up. I would like to see service 30 removed from the brand meaning that it was present in Consett only but this is unlikely to happen any time soon.

(10 May 2017, 2:57 pm)Michael But isn't that the point of the brand to promote the Metrocentre?

I would say the branding is designed to promote the M6/M7/M8 rather than the Metrocentre itself but as it basically tells customers what they can do ('Shop' and 'Dine'), it could be classed as promotion of the Metrocentre itself, much like the X66/S1 brands have cinema tickets and other relevant details.

On another note, what is up with 5282's WiFi symbols on the front?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bazza90/34...731642@N23
Edited 10 May 2017, 3:46 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
10 May 2017, 3:39 pm #121

(10 May 2017, 12:59 pm)Venturego Timetable also includes service no. M6 along with M7 & M8 under this brand.

I think it looks amateurish (as do many GNE brands) IMO should have extended Venture, with maybe a sub/tag line for these services: "Venture into the Metro Centre" and include "intu Metro Centre" brand within this cant strip if intu are paying advertising monies/promotional spend.

I disagree. I think Go North East's brands have actually improved, no more of that awful branding we saw a few years ago on the Crusader when the Mercs first transferred over (which still served its purpose, that must be said!).

I don't think the services wouldn't work in the Venture brand unless they were to be renumbered V6/V7/V8. I admit it would have been a good opportunity to tidy the Venture vehicles up. I would like to see service 30 removed from the brand meaning that it was present in Consett only but this is unlikely to happen any time soon.

(10 May 2017, 2:57 pm)Michael But isn't that the point of the brand to promote the Metrocentre?

I would say the branding is designed to promote the M6/M7/M8 rather than the Metrocentre itself but as it basically tells customers what they can do ('Shop' and 'Dine'), it could be classed as promotion of the Metrocentre itself, much like the X66/S1 brands have cinema tickets and other relevant details.

On another note, what is up with 5282's WiFi symbols on the front?

Dan

Site Administrator

10 May 2017, 4:17 pm #122

How it looks is always going to be down to personal preference, and we'll never have an instance whereby every single person on this forum agrees whether it's cosmetically pleasing or not, but I disagree entirely with your opinion that the "Venture" brand name should have been retained.

The "Venture" brand in its present guise was set up to promote 'venturing' further afield, a pun based on the connections the "Venture" network of services make available at Stanley and Consett. Since then, the services within the brand have been changed such that they are no longer the services which allow people to connect onto other services which venture afield, rather they are the services which go further afield (i.e. to the Metrocentre).

The changes to the minibus network at Stanley isn't really a bad thing at all (compare the new M6/M7/M8 to the old X43 - they've come on leaps and bounds!); and I think it makes perfect sense to remove the V7/V8 services away from the "Venture" brand, prefix them with the 'M' letter to connote 'Metrocentre', and have a brand which focuses on the main selling point of the route. As I said before, this allows Go North East to sell some pretty clear messages to the people of Stanley and Consett, and it's really easy to promote which bus goes where, under the new branding scheme.

I highly doubt bus operators are paid to have Metrocentre on the side of the bus - this is something the bus operators want to do, as it'll be the main selling point of the route in many cases (i.e. Stagecoach's 100, Go North East's X66, etc).
Dan
10 May 2017, 4:17 pm #122

How it looks is always going to be down to personal preference, and we'll never have an instance whereby every single person on this forum agrees whether it's cosmetically pleasing or not, but I disagree entirely with your opinion that the "Venture" brand name should have been retained.

The "Venture" brand in its present guise was set up to promote 'venturing' further afield, a pun based on the connections the "Venture" network of services make available at Stanley and Consett. Since then, the services within the brand have been changed such that they are no longer the services which allow people to connect onto other services which venture afield, rather they are the services which go further afield (i.e. to the Metrocentre).

The changes to the minibus network at Stanley isn't really a bad thing at all (compare the new M6/M7/M8 to the old X43 - they've come on leaps and bounds!); and I think it makes perfect sense to remove the V7/V8 services away from the "Venture" brand, prefix them with the 'M' letter to connote 'Metrocentre', and have a brand which focuses on the main selling point of the route. As I said before, this allows Go North East to sell some pretty clear messages to the people of Stanley and Consett, and it's really easy to promote which bus goes where, under the new branding scheme.

I highly doubt bus operators are paid to have Metrocentre on the side of the bus - this is something the bus operators want to do, as it'll be the main selling point of the route in many cases (i.e. Stagecoach's 100, Go North East's X66, etc).

Dan

Site Administrator

10 May 2017, 4:59 pm #123
(10 May 2017, 3:39 pm)S813 FVK On another note, what is up with 5282's WiFi symbols on the front?

Not sure why they were fitted like that, but it has been pencilled in for repair as soon as possible.
Dan
10 May 2017, 4:59 pm #123

(10 May 2017, 3:39 pm)S813 FVK On another note, what is up with 5282's WiFi symbols on the front?

Not sure why they were fitted like that, but it has been pencilled in for repair as soon as possible.

Ambassador

10 May 2017, 5:12 pm #124
Making things pretty and engaging marketing is absolutely GNEs greatest forte.

Even when they get it wrong it's still normally a good effort

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
10 May 2017, 5:12 pm #124

Making things pretty and engaging marketing is absolutely GNEs greatest forte.

Even when they get it wrong it's still normally a good effort

pdiddy

10 May 2017, 9:00 pm #125
(10 May 2017, 4:59 pm)Dan Not sure why they were fitted like that, but it has been pencilled in for repair as soon as possible.

The one on the nearside has probably been put on the bottom. Because if it was on the top like the other side it would obstruct drivers view of mirror. Don't know why the aren't both on the bottom like
pdiddy
10 May 2017, 9:00 pm #125

(10 May 2017, 4:59 pm)Dan Not sure why they were fitted like that, but it has been pencilled in for repair as soon as possible.

The one on the nearside has probably been put on the bottom. Because if it was on the top like the other side it would obstruct drivers view of mirror. Don't know why the aren't both on the bottom like

S813 FVK

10 May 2017, 9:13 pm #126
(10 May 2017, 9:00 pm)pdiddy The one on the nearside has probably been put on the bottom. Because if it was on the top like the other side it would obstruct drivers view of mirror. Don't know why the aren't both on the bottom like

You're probably right. Maybe it is why 5280s near-side blue blob is not there? They could have just put the WiFi symbols in the same place as 5280 too - they have with 5279:

[Image: 34462217425_cc8b0782a1.jpg]Go North East: 5280 / NK07KPP by Daniel Graham, on Flickr
S813 FVK
10 May 2017, 9:13 pm #126

(10 May 2017, 9:00 pm)pdiddy The one on the nearside has probably been put on the bottom. Because if it was on the top like the other side it would obstruct drivers view of mirror. Don't know why the aren't both on the bottom like

You're probably right. Maybe it is why 5280s near-side blue blob is not there? They could have just put the WiFi symbols in the same place as 5280 too - they have with 5279:

[Image: 34462217425_cc8b0782a1.jpg]Go North East: 5280 / NK07KPP by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Dan

Site Administrator

11 May 2017, 4:49 am #127
(10 May 2017, 9:13 pm)S813 FVK You're probably right. Maybe it is why 5280s near-side blue blob is not there? They could have just put the WiFi symbols in the same place as 5280 too - they have with 5279:

Yes, that's why the blue blob was removed by Riverside's engineers after being branded.

That is planned to be moved up slightly so it's not within the driver's vision.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dan
11 May 2017, 4:49 am #127

(10 May 2017, 9:13 pm)S813 FVK You're probably right. Maybe it is why 5280s near-side blue blob is not there? They could have just put the WiFi symbols in the same place as 5280 too - they have with 5279:

Yes, that's why the blue blob was removed by Riverside's engineers after being branded.

Jamie M

Unregistered

11 May 2017, 6:24 am #128
(11 May 2017, 4:49 am)Dan Yes, that's why the blue blob was removed by Riverside's engineers after being branded.

May I ask why "Red Arrows" is still visable on the rear windows of the 07 reg ones? Is it just hard to remove this without replacing the glass? On one of the Blaydon Racers it sticks out quite harshly in daylight, would have thought they'd have fettled it, but that's just my inexperienced view.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
11 May 2017, 6:24 am #128

(11 May 2017, 4:49 am)Dan Yes, that's why the blue blob was removed by Riverside's engineers after being branded.

May I ask why "Red Arrows" is still visable on the rear windows of the 07 reg ones? Is it just hard to remove this without replacing the glass? On one of the Blaydon Racers it sticks out quite harshly in daylight, would have thought they'd have fettled it, but that's just my inexperienced view.

S813 FVK

11 May 2017, 4:28 pm #129
(09 May 2017, 4:35 pm)Dan Go North East tends to repaint buses/refresh its brands every four years - I would expect all vehicles ordered as part of the centenary year in 2013 would be up for repaint soon.

I think they could get away with leaving the Connections4, Saltwell Park and Fab Fifty Six vehicles as they are for now as from what i have seen, they seem to be in a good condition externally. It is only the Citylink 58, Venture and Cobalt Clipper that I think need a bit of a tidy up (and hopefully the Cobalt Clipper branding is altered to acknowledge the fact that it also goes to Blyth).
S813 FVK
11 May 2017, 4:28 pm #129

(09 May 2017, 4:35 pm)Dan Go North East tends to repaint buses/refresh its brands every four years - I would expect all vehicles ordered as part of the centenary year in 2013 would be up for repaint soon.

I think they could get away with leaving the Connections4, Saltwell Park and Fab Fifty Six vehicles as they are for now as from what i have seen, they seem to be in a good condition externally. It is only the Citylink 58, Venture and Cobalt Clipper that I think need a bit of a tidy up (and hopefully the Cobalt Clipper branding is altered to acknowledge the fact that it also goes to Blyth).

Michael

11 May 2017, 4:31 pm #130
(11 May 2017, 4:28 pm)S813 FVK I think they could get away with leaving the Connections4, Saltwell Park and Fab Fifty Six vehicles as they are for now as from what i have seen, they seem to be in a good condition externally. It is only the Citylink 58, Venture and Cobalt Clipper that I think need a bit of a tidy up (and hopefully the Cobalt Clipper branding is altered to acknowledge the fact that it also goes to Blyth).

Agree on that, the Connections4, still looks new.... Fab 56, get rid of the flowers and add something different Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 May 2017, 4:31 pm #130

(11 May 2017, 4:28 pm)S813 FVK I think they could get away with leaving the Connections4, Saltwell Park and Fab Fifty Six vehicles as they are for now as from what i have seen, they seem to be in a good condition externally. It is only the Citylink 58, Venture and Cobalt Clipper that I think need a bit of a tidy up (and hopefully the Cobalt Clipper branding is altered to acknowledge the fact that it also goes to Blyth).

Agree on that, the Connections4, still looks new.... Fab 56, get rid of the flowers and add something different Tongue

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

JP6004

11 May 2017, 6:23 pm #131
Just noticed that all the refurbed mercs appear to be having manual ramps installed while down in Blackburn. Are GNE still carrying this out in the fleet or is it only the refurbs that are getting them done?
JP6004
11 May 2017, 6:23 pm #131

Just noticed that all the refurbed mercs appear to be having manual ramps installed while down in Blackburn. Are GNE still carrying this out in the fleet or is it only the refurbs that are getting them done?

L469 YVK

11 May 2017, 6:35 pm #132

Rather than having the usual stuff about Newcastle and North Shields, would it not be better to have the following.

Between upper and lower deck panels on nearside and offside: Frequent links from the Heart Of The Blyth Valley and North Tyneside to Cobalt and Newcastle.

Also, if the 19 was to ever get treated to some refurbished Mercs, would it not make sense to put the 19 under the Cobalt Clipper brand with the follwing tagline:

Links from the Heart of Northumberland and North Tyneside to Cobalt

It would also allow some flexibility on Sundays (or even during the evenings if a swap could happen in Shields for the 310's) allowing single deckers to be allocated to services 309 / 310 alongside 4x B9TLs due to lower passenger numbers as long as there isn't any major events on or any particular weekends such as the run upto Christmas which attracts shoppers.
L469 YVK
11 May 2017, 6:35 pm #132

Rather than having the usual stuff about Newcastle and North Shields, would it not be better to have the following.

Between upper and lower deck panels on nearside and offside: Frequent links from the Heart Of The Blyth Valley and North Tyneside to Cobalt and Newcastle.

Also, if the 19 was to ever get treated to some refurbished Mercs, would it not make sense to put the 19 under the Cobalt Clipper brand with the follwing tagline:

Links from the Heart of Northumberland and North Tyneside to Cobalt

It would also allow some flexibility on Sundays (or even during the evenings if a swap could happen in Shields for the 310's) allowing single deckers to be allocated to services 309 / 310 alongside 4x B9TLs due to lower passenger numbers as long as there isn't any major events on or any particular weekends such as the run upto Christmas which attracts shoppers.

Jamie M

Unregistered

11 May 2017, 6:38 pm #133
The V9 timetable is wrong.
The last trips as "45" are "45E" and are minutes out.

2308 on Friday, not 2315.
2320 on Saturday, not 2315. These were changed a year ago, now.

(11 May 2017, 6:23 pm)JP6004 Just noticed that all the refurbed mercs appear to be having manual ramps installed while down in Blackburn. Are GNE still carrying this out in the fleet or is it only the refurbs that are getting them done?
I think all buses are meant to have manual ones as the automatic ones are problematic in more than on sense.
*I think*.

Jamie M
11 May 2017, 6:38 pm #133

The V9 timetable is wrong.
The last trips as "45" are "45E" and are minutes out.

2308 on Friday, not 2315.
2320 on Saturday, not 2315. These were changed a year ago, now.

(11 May 2017, 6:23 pm)JP6004 Just noticed that all the refurbed mercs appear to be having manual ramps installed while down in Blackburn. Are GNE still carrying this out in the fleet or is it only the refurbs that are getting them done?
I think all buses are meant to have manual ones as the automatic ones are problematic in more than on sense.
*I think*.

ne14ne1

11 May 2017, 8:48 pm #134
Are the NSAs up and running on the refurbished mercs out on the Blaydon Racer 12s and Citylink57s?
Edited 11 May 2017, 8:49 pm by ne14ne1.
ne14ne1
11 May 2017, 8:48 pm #134

Are the NSAs up and running on the refurbished mercs out on the Blaydon Racer 12s and Citylink57s?

Ds1197

11 May 2017, 8:54 pm #135
(11 May 2017, 8:48 pm)ne14ne1 Are the NSAs up and running on the refurbished mercs out on the Blaydon Racer 12s 
5277 has NSAs on not sure about the others
Ds1197
11 May 2017, 8:54 pm #135

(11 May 2017, 8:48 pm)ne14ne1 Are the NSAs up and running on the refurbished mercs out on the Blaydon Racer 12s 
5277 has NSAs on not sure about the others

ne14ne1

11 May 2017, 9:05 pm #136
(11 May 2017, 8:54 pm)Ds1197 5277 has NSAs on not sure about the others

Has anyone noticed if they've removed the long delay between "Next stop," / "This is," and "[stop name]".

The gap is terrible on some routes. Fab56's suffer from a very long pause.
ne14ne1
11 May 2017, 9:05 pm #136

(11 May 2017, 8:54 pm)Ds1197 5277 has NSAs on not sure about the others

Has anyone noticed if they've removed the long delay between "Next stop," / "This is," and "[stop name]".

The gap is terrible on some routes. Fab56's suffer from a very long pause.

park5354

11 May 2017, 9:32 pm #137

5280 has had Cross City Service and blue blob removed, and rear now has the same destinations as on current branded 5321/22 (no mention of Hadrian Park).

5277 has been branded today, with correct rear (no Hadrian Park) and no 'cross city service'.
park5354
11 May 2017, 9:32 pm #137

5280 has had Cross City Service and blue blob removed, and rear now has the same destinations as on current branded 5321/22 (no mention of Hadrian Park).

5277 has been branded today, with correct rear (no Hadrian Park) and no 'cross city service'.

Ambassador

11 May 2017, 11:22 pm #138
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, are the Omnishambles due for a refurb, or even a clean at any point.

6140 my bouncing ride home tonight was worse than 6134/5 et al. Cigarette burns into the plastic coving of the seats, most of the upper deck had red seats worn away to just...black seats, food stains across seating. It wasn't pretty. Weird musty smell throughout too. If these things are seeing regular service on major flagship routes, surely you need to clean them at least?

At least on their 21 runs the B7s, Tridents and Vykings were clean. I'd be embarrassed to take a tourist or visitor to the Angel or DURHAM on a Omnishambles

Ambassador
11 May 2017, 11:22 pm #138

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, are the Omnishambles due for a refurb, or even a clean at any point.

6140 my bouncing ride home tonight was worse than 6134/5 et al. Cigarette burns into the plastic coving of the seats, most of the upper deck had red seats worn away to just...black seats, food stains across seating. It wasn't pretty. Weird musty smell throughout too. If these things are seeing regular service on major flagship routes, surely you need to clean them at least?

At least on their 21 runs the B7s, Tridents and Vykings were clean. I'd be embarrassed to take a tourist or visitor to the Angel or DURHAM on a Omnishambles

Jamie M

Unregistered

12 May 2017, 12:20 am #139
(11 May 2017, 11:22 pm)Ambassador Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, are the Omnishambles due for a refurb, or even a clean at any point.

Better than 713 and 697 or whatever it was!

I think the omnidekks will be the last to receive attention, as clear by the fact that only a handful have received working thermal mods, even then they're not lasting long. Also, only half received rear-end fixes before work was stopped. A couple have began sliding about again, even after the fix.

This is of no real fault to GNE, I feel like there is too much going on to be touching up buses to be perfect. Once all of the older vehicles have finally become displaced, I think there'll be a lot more free room to perfect buses at all costs. A bus that's in a state is better than no bus at all.

Jamie M
12 May 2017, 12:20 am #139

(11 May 2017, 11:22 pm)Ambassador Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, are the Omnishambles due for a refurb, or even a clean at any point.

Better than 713 and 697 or whatever it was!

I think the omnidekks will be the last to receive attention, as clear by the fact that only a handful have received working thermal mods, even then they're not lasting long. Also, only half received rear-end fixes before work was stopped. A couple have began sliding about again, even after the fix.

This is of no real fault to GNE, I feel like there is too much going on to be touching up buses to be perfect. Once all of the older vehicles have finally become displaced, I think there'll be a lot more free room to perfect buses at all costs. A bus that's in a state is better than no bus at all.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2017, 5:24 am #140
(11 May 2017, 9:32 pm)park5354 5280 has had Cross City Service and blue blob removed, and rear now has the same destinations as on current branded 5321/22 (no mention of Hadrian Park).

It's not the same as 5321/22 - 5277 and 5280 now have Coast Road on the map as an additional calling point.

Cross City Service has been removed entirely as it would be within the wiper sweep.

Dan
12 May 2017, 5:24 am #140

(11 May 2017, 9:32 pm)park5354 5280 has had Cross City Service and blue blob removed, and rear now has the same destinations as on current branded 5321/22 (no mention of Hadrian Park).

It's not the same as 5321/22 - 5277 and 5280 now have Coast Road on the map as an additional calling point.

Cross City Service has been removed entirely as it would be within the wiper sweep.

Pages (22) Previous 16 7 822 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average