Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Planned Industrial Action

Arriva North East: Planned Industrial Action

Arriva North East: Planned Industrial Action

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (8) Previous 13 4 58 Next
Stanleyone

15 Dec 2018, 2:26 pm #61
(15 Dec 2018, 4:16 am)Multi21 Anyone got a spare bottle... Unite just lost their's..

Nothing to do with Arriva offering a new pay deal which unite the union have to put to the members?......willing to stand corrected though!!!
Stanleyone
15 Dec 2018, 2:26 pm #61

(15 Dec 2018, 4:16 am)Multi21 Anyone got a spare bottle... Unite just lost their's..

Nothing to do with Arriva offering a new pay deal which unite the union have to put to the members?......willing to stand corrected though!!!

Adrian

15 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm #62

Need to change your reps, if that is the case. 

Agree with you though. What has been offered looks to be far short than what was being sought by the Union. I am not sure how they'll be able to justify suspending action and re-balloting, but I guess it is now up to the drivers to make their feelings known in that ballot.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm #62

Need to change your reps, if that is the case. 

Agree with you though. What has been offered looks to be far short than what was being sought by the Union. I am not sure how they'll be able to justify suspending action and re-balloting, but I guess it is now up to the drivers to make their feelings known in that ballot.

15 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm #63
As I expected Unite shaft their members at the last minute. It's a race to the bottom in bus driver pay with both Stagecoach and GNE just as bad.
Driver9***
15 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm #63

As I expected Unite shaft their members at the last minute. It's a race to the bottom in bus driver pay with both Stagecoach and GNE just as bad.

RobinHood

16 Dec 2018, 9:43 am #64
Doesn't this just show that Unite never intended to go to strike - instead dragging it out until the last minute before agreeing to put an offer to ballot in order to suspend it?

That offer ended up being worse than a previous offer that they didn't think was good enough to take back to us drivers last week.

Pretty obvious to me, this was never going to take place and purely designed to tarnish the public image of the company.

Lots of rumblings that there was a significant number of drivers prepared to strike break too - which stalled the publication of the timetable plans.

£1 an hour, paid breaks for all, reduced maximum driving to 4.5 hours and reduced time to get to the top rate is a great opening position - but there is absolutely no way that Arriva will meet that in one go and drivers who think they will by taking action need to look at Northern. Strikes being normal now and no sign of them backing down.

Every week us drivers potentially strike, we lose 2% of our pay annually (approx). It's not worth it. Why are we not working to rule instead?
RobinHood
16 Dec 2018, 9:43 am #64

Doesn't this just show that Unite never intended to go to strike - instead dragging it out until the last minute before agreeing to put an offer to ballot in order to suspend it?

That offer ended up being worse than a previous offer that they didn't think was good enough to take back to us drivers last week.

Pretty obvious to me, this was never going to take place and purely designed to tarnish the public image of the company.

Lots of rumblings that there was a significant number of drivers prepared to strike break too - which stalled the publication of the timetable plans.

£1 an hour, paid breaks for all, reduced maximum driving to 4.5 hours and reduced time to get to the top rate is a great opening position - but there is absolutely no way that Arriva will meet that in one go and drivers who think they will by taking action need to look at Northern. Strikes being normal now and no sign of them backing down.

Every week us drivers potentially strike, we lose 2% of our pay annually (approx). It's not worth it. Why are we not working to rule instead?

16 Dec 2018, 5:14 pm #65
Arriva management and Unite have played this game for years, in the end the drivers get worn down and think "Sod it we may as well accept". Rest assured if this new offer is rejected and another strike date is given, the same thing will happen again. It's 18 years since my depot had a strike and that was for only one day.

The reason there is no work to rule is that there will always be a minority of greedy drivers who will work every possible minute they can in overtime, whether they actually need the money or not. Plus it will be irrelevant soon anyway as they are flooding all the depots with new drivers on the new pitiful pay rates so they won't need to rely on drivers working overtime anymore.
Driver9***
16 Dec 2018, 5:14 pm #65

Arriva management and Unite have played this game for years, in the end the drivers get worn down and think "Sod it we may as well accept". Rest assured if this new offer is rejected and another strike date is given, the same thing will happen again. It's 18 years since my depot had a strike and that was for only one day.

The reason there is no work to rule is that there will always be a minority of greedy drivers who will work every possible minute they can in overtime, whether they actually need the money or not. Plus it will be irrelevant soon anyway as they are flooding all the depots with new drivers on the new pitiful pay rates so they won't need to rely on drivers working overtime anymore.

Andreos1

16 Dec 2018, 6:55 pm #66
(16 Dec 2018, 5:14 pm)Driver9*** Arriva management and Unite have played this game for years, in the end the drivers get worn down and think "Sod it we may as well accept". Rest assured if this new offer is rejected and another strike date is given, the same thing will happen again. It's 18 years since my depot had a strike and that was for only one day.

It's not just pay rates that are poorer though. That's the sad thing. 
Pensions and a stack of other 'perks' all leave the newer employees worse off than the older guard are.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Dec 2018, 6:55 pm #66

(16 Dec 2018, 5:14 pm)Driver9*** Arriva management and Unite have played this game for years, in the end the drivers get worn down and think "Sod it we may as well accept". Rest assured if this new offer is rejected and another strike date is given, the same thing will happen again. It's 18 years since my depot had a strike and that was for only one day.

It's not just pay rates that are poorer though. That's the sad thing. 
Pensions and a stack of other 'perks' all leave the newer employees worse off than the older guard are.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Stanleyone

17 Dec 2018, 9:45 am #67
Drivers should do what Ryobi bus drivers in Okayama are doing. Driving as per normal shift requirement however not taking any fares.
Stanleyone
17 Dec 2018, 9:45 am #67

Drivers should do what Ryobi bus drivers in Okayama are doing. Driving as per normal shift requirement however not taking any fares.

Jamie M

Unregistered

17 Dec 2018, 12:13 pm #68
(17 Dec 2018, 9:45 am)Stanleyone Drivers should do what Ryobi bus drivers in Okayama are doing. Driving as per normal shift requirement however not taking any fares.

Gross misconduct, that.
Striking, if done by the book, isn't an offence in anyway.
Jamie M
17 Dec 2018, 12:13 pm #68

(17 Dec 2018, 9:45 am)Stanleyone Drivers should do what Ryobi bus drivers in Okayama are doing. Driving as per normal shift requirement however not taking any fares.

Gross misconduct, that.
Striking, if done by the book, isn't an offence in anyway.

Cock Robin

18 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm #69
(15 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm)Adrian Need to change your reps, if that is the case. 

Surely that's the idea isn't it, ask for far more than you expect to get and then hope to get a proportion if it. Noone expects Arriva to accept something that will increase the wage bill by 20%.
Edited 18 Dec 2018, 2:33 pm by Cock Robin.
Cock Robin
18 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm #69

(15 Dec 2018, 8:18 pm)Adrian Need to change your reps, if that is the case. 

Surely that's the idea isn't it, ask for far more than you expect to get and then hope to get a proportion if it. Noone expects Arriva to accept something that will increase the wage bill by 20%.

Adrian

20 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm #70
Arriva bus drivers set new strike date
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...rike-date/

Adrian
20 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm #70

Arriva bus drivers set new strike date

S830OFT

20 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm #71
(20 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm)Adrian Arriva bus drivers set new strike date

Let's hope this goes ahead, I imagine Belmont will be swapping some buses with Jesmond for a few deckers. Although if they have very little services running I can't see it being a big PVR.

S830OFT
20 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm #71

(20 Dec 2018, 6:21 pm)Adrian Arriva bus drivers set new strike date

Let's hope this goes ahead, I imagine Belmont will be swapping some buses with Jesmond for a few deckers. Although if they have very little services running I can't see it being a big PVR.

BusLoverMum

21 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm #72
(20 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm)S830OFT Let's hope this goes ahead, I imagine Belmont will be swapping some buses with Jesmond for a few deckers. Although if they have very little services running I can't see it being a big PVR.

I'm expecting their priority would have to be the routes where they have the monopoly. The 61/62, for example. No idea how we'll used the 61 is, but there will still be some we'll heeled pensioners cut off without it. People in brasside would have nothing without the 62, though. Most of the 64 is duplicated or has a not too distant alternative, but Newton Hall has no alternatives. Most of the people using it in NH are elderly or have walked to the Arnison centre and have heavy bags to carry back (I do the same from Fram, but have the 50 and 14 to fall back on.)

The 22 and 24 would at least have to offer a Sunday service and the Trimdons, Fishburn, Ferryhill and Sedgefield would still need to be served.
BusLoverMum
21 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm #72

(20 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm)S830OFT Let's hope this goes ahead, I imagine Belmont will be swapping some buses with Jesmond for a few deckers. Although if they have very little services running I can't see it being a big PVR.

I'm expecting their priority would have to be the routes where they have the monopoly. The 61/62, for example. No idea how we'll used the 61 is, but there will still be some we'll heeled pensioners cut off without it. People in brasside would have nothing without the 62, though. Most of the 64 is duplicated or has a not too distant alternative, but Newton Hall has no alternatives. Most of the people using it in NH are elderly or have walked to the Arnison centre and have heavy bags to carry back (I do the same from Fram, but have the 50 and 14 to fall back on.)

The 22 and 24 would at least have to offer a Sunday service and the Trimdons, Fishburn, Ferryhill and Sedgefield would still need to be served.

cbma06

21 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm #73
(21 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm)BusLoverMum I'm expecting their priority would have to be the routes where they have the monopoly. The 61/62, for example. No idea how we'll used the 61 is, but there will still be some we'll heeled pensioners cut off without it. People in brasside would have nothing without the 62, though. Most of the 64 is duplicated or has a not too distant alternative, but Newton Hall has no alternatives. Most of the people using it in NH are elderly or have walked to the Arnison centre and have heavy bags to carry back (I do the same from Fram, but have the 50 and 14 to fall back on.)

The last time before there called it off, east Durham college had the timetables for the strike action which there received from arriva, service 22 every 2 hours only between Peterlee and Durham between 9 and 5ish, 24 every 2 hours between Peterlee and Durham same times, no 23 service, no arriva between Peterlee and Sunderland, and no service between Hartlepool and Peterlee except 1 journey in the morning and one journey at tea time, Monday to Friday only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
21 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm #73

(21 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm)BusLoverMum I'm expecting their priority would have to be the routes where they have the monopoly. The 61/62, for example. No idea how we'll used the 61 is, but there will still be some we'll heeled pensioners cut off without it. People in brasside would have nothing without the 62, though. Most of the 64 is duplicated or has a not too distant alternative, but Newton Hall has no alternatives. Most of the people using it in NH are elderly or have walked to the Arnison centre and have heavy bags to carry back (I do the same from Fram, but have the 50 and 14 to fall back on.)

The last time before there called it off, east Durham college had the timetables for the strike action which there received from arriva, service 22 every 2 hours only between Peterlee and Durham between 9 and 5ish, 24 every 2 hours between Peterlee and Durham same times, no 23 service, no arriva between Peterlee and Sunderland, and no service between Hartlepool and Peterlee except 1 journey in the morning and one journey at tea time, Monday to Friday only

BusLoverMum

21 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm #74
(21 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm)cbma06 The last time before there called it off, east Durham college had the timetables for the strike action which there received from arriva, service 22 every 2 hours only between Peterlee and Durham between 9 and 5ish, 24 every 2 hours between Peterlee and Durham same times, no 23 service, no arriva between Peterlee and Sunderland, and no service between Hartlepool and Peterlee except 1 journey in the morning and one journey at tea time, Monday to Friday only

That would be a pig for people who have to get to work, or get to school and college before 9am, as is traditional. Thornley and Wheatley Hill have the 58 to fall back on and there's the handful of secured early morning services (if the 214 etc still run) but AFAIK people in the Shottons>, ludworth, shadforth, littlethorp etc have no alternative.
BusLoverMum
21 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm #74

(21 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm)cbma06 The last time before there called it off, east Durham college had the timetables for the strike action which there received from arriva, service 22 every 2 hours only between Peterlee and Durham between 9 and 5ish, 24 every 2 hours between Peterlee and Durham same times, no 23 service, no arriva between Peterlee and Sunderland, and no service between Hartlepool and Peterlee except 1 journey in the morning and one journey at tea time, Monday to Friday only

That would be a pig for people who have to get to work, or get to school and college before 9am, as is traditional. Thornley and Wheatley Hill have the 58 to fall back on and there's the handful of secured early morning services (if the 214 etc still run) but AFAIK people in the Shottons>, ludworth, shadforth, littlethorp etc have no alternative.

cbma06

21 Dec 2018, 7:58 pm #75
(21 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm)BusLoverMum That would be a pig for people who have to get to work, or get to school and college before 9am, as is traditional. Thornley and Wheatley Hill have the 58 to fall back on and there's the handful of secured early morning services (if the 214 etc still run) but AFAIK people in the Shottons>, ludworth, shadforth, littlethorp etc have no alternative.

It was mentioned that if an east Durham student has to get a go north east bus and not there local arriva service then there would be reimbursed by the college when there hand there bus ticket in

cbma06
21 Dec 2018, 7:58 pm #75

(21 Dec 2018, 7:54 pm)BusLoverMum That would be a pig for people who have to get to work, or get to school and college before 9am, as is traditional. Thornley and Wheatley Hill have the 58 to fall back on and there's the handful of secured early morning services (if the 214 etc still run) but AFAIK people in the Shottons>, ludworth, shadforth, littlethorp etc have no alternative.

It was mentioned that if an east Durham student has to get a go north east bus and not there local arriva service then there would be reimbursed by the college when there hand there bus ticket in

BusLoverMum

21 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm #76
(21 Dec 2018, 7:58 pm)cbma06 It was mentioned that if an east Durham student has to get a go north east bus and not there local arriva service then there would be reimbursed by the college when there hand there bus ticket in

You can't get a go north east bus from those places, though. Certainly not on a college day.
BusLoverMum
21 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm #76

(21 Dec 2018, 7:58 pm)cbma06 It was mentioned that if an east Durham student has to get a go north east bus and not there local arriva service then there would be reimbursed by the college when there hand there bus ticket in

You can't get a go north east bus from those places, though. Certainly not on a college day.

cbma06

21 Dec 2018, 8:21 pm #77
(21 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm)BusLoverMum You can't get a go north east bus from those places, though. Certainly not on a college day.

You can from Hartlepool towards Peterlee and Sunderland towards Peterlee

cbma06
21 Dec 2018, 8:21 pm #77

(21 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm)BusLoverMum You can't get a go north east bus from those places, though. Certainly not on a college day.

You can from Hartlepool towards Peterlee and Sunderland towards Peterlee

Cock Robin

21 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm #78

You obviously don't rely on buses then.
Cock Robin
21 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm #78

You obviously don't rely on buses then.

mb134

21 Dec 2018, 9:03 pm #79

Hoping a strike goes ahead? Causing disruption to kids on their first week back to school after the break, the elderly who may need buses to get to the shops, people going to work, etc.

Aye, let's not hope that Arriva and the drivers manage to find a solution before that, and instead hope that everyone's lives are massively inconvenienced.
mb134
21 Dec 2018, 9:03 pm #79

Hoping a strike goes ahead? Causing disruption to kids on their first week back to school after the break, the elderly who may need buses to get to the shops, people going to work, etc.

Aye, let's not hope that Arriva and the drivers manage to find a solution before that, and instead hope that everyone's lives are massively inconvenienced.

Jimmi

21 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm #80

Can't see that happening considering how few services are running, Belmont certainly should be able to manage with the deckers they already have.

Based on timetables previous shared, service offerings are very stretched, most services are running at most on a hourly basis, two hourly in many cases such as Sapphire 7 and some services are school/college time runs only.
Edited 21 Dec 2018, 11:15 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
21 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm #80

Can't see that happening considering how few services are running, Belmont certainly should be able to manage with the deckers they already have.

Based on timetables previous shared, service offerings are very stretched, most services are running at most on a hourly basis, two hourly in many cases such as Sapphire 7 and some services are school/college time runs only.

Pages (8) Previous 13 4 58 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average