Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2019

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (25) Previous 13 4 525 Next
Michael

06 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm #61

5 more Brighton and Hove deckers are joining the fleet...

Wonder what they'll replace?

They've arrived at Consett depot.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20191006-144202_Twitter.jpg
Size 1.12 MB / Downloads 60
.jpg
Screenshot_20191006-144715_Twitter.jpg
Size 893.11 KB / Downloads 71

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm #61

Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20191006-144202_Twitter.jpg
Size 1.12 MB / Downloads 60
.jpg
Screenshot_20191006-144715_Twitter.jpg
Size 893.11 KB / Downloads 71

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

06 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm #62
They must be replacing some pretty old buses if adding 54 plates is going to reduce the average fleet age

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
06 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm #62

They must be replacing some pretty old buses if adding 54 plates is going to reduce the average fleet age

JP6004

06 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm #63

(06 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm)streetdeckfan They must be replacing some pretty old buses if adding 54 plates is going to reduce the average fleet age

The Vykings?

JP6004
06 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm #63

(06 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm)streetdeckfan They must be replacing some pretty old buses if adding 54 plates is going to reduce the average fleet age

The Vykings?

Stanleyone

06 Oct 2019, 2:22 pm #64

(06 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm)Michael

Might get rid of those awful ex London DD. 6915-6919. Capacity restraint on the st Bedes scholars whilst they’ve been on.

Stanleyone
06 Oct 2019, 2:22 pm #64

(06 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm)Michael

Might get rid of those awful ex London DD. 6915-6919. Capacity restraint on the st Bedes scholars whilst they’ve been on.

06 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm #65

(06 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm)JP6004

The Vykings?

Not really much of an improvement though is it.

After reading it again, he may have meant the 'introducing several pre-owned buses' to be completely separate from 'improving reliability and reducing our average fleet age'

streetdeckfan
06 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm #65

(06 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm)JP6004

The Vykings?

After reading it again, he may have meant the 'introducing several pre-owned buses' to be completely separate from 'improving reliability and reducing our average fleet age'

Adrian

06 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm #66

(06 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm)streetdeckfan

It says a lot about your current fleet, if 15 year old buses are seen as an improvement.

And I bet these don't have illuminated front logos.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm #66

(06 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm)streetdeckfan

It says a lot about your current fleet, if 15 year old buses are seen as an improvement.

06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm #67
East Yorkshire E400MMC is getting painted into Xlines I believe
Citaro5326
06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm #67

East Yorkshire E400MMC is getting painted into Xlines I believe

06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm #68
Wounder if those omnideckers will enter service in the Brighton colours
JACK6081
06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm #68

Wounder if those omnideckers will enter service in the Brighton colours

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm #69
(06 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm)Adrian

I wouldn't say it says a lot about the fleet, more so gives an indication of the type of services that the company operates. No operator could sustainably operate brand new buses on scholars services, which is predominantly what these buses will be allocated to.

These Scania OmniDekkas are replacing Volvo B7s which are between 2-4 years older (some of which are dual-door so not ideal for the frontline service work they invariably end up being allocated to, from time to time). I'd say that's an improvement - not just for passengers, but driving staff and engineering colleagues too. Plenty life in them yet (they drove all the way from Brighton to Consett at 60mph without a hitch!)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
06 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm #69

(06 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm)Adrian

I wouldn't say it says a lot about the fleet, more so gives an indication of the type of services that the company operates. No operator could sustainably operate brand new buses on scholars services, which is predominantly what these buses will be allocated to.

These Scania OmniDekkas are replacing Volvo B7s which are between 2-4 years older (some of which are dual-door so not ideal for the frontline service work they invariably end up being allocated to, from time to time). I'd say that's an improvement - not just for passengers, but driving staff and engineering colleagues too. Plenty life in them yet (they drove all the way from Brighton to Consett at 60mph without a hitch!)

Adrian

06 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm #70

(06 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm)Dan I wouldn't say it says a lot about the fleet, more so gives an indication of the type of services that the company operates. No operator could sustainably operate brand new buses on scholars services, which is predominantly what these buses will be allocated to.

I don't think anybody is suggesting brand new (or even nearly new for that matter), but these are neither. At 15 years old, they're merely survivors from the grasp of the Grim Reaper.

Its by no means just GNE using ancient buses on public sector contracts of course. There's plenty of schools contracts in Durham issued to operators using vehicles 20 years old and beyond. Hopefully with declaring a climate emergency lately, they and others will start to look at stipulating stricter minimum standards on vehicles used for public sector work.

Adrian
06 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm #70

(06 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm)Dan I wouldn't say it says a lot about the fleet, more so gives an indication of the type of services that the company operates. No operator could sustainably operate brand new buses on scholars services, which is predominantly what these buses will be allocated to.

I don't think anybody is suggesting brand new (or even nearly new for that matter), but these are neither. At 15 years old, they're merely survivors from the grasp of the Grim Reaper.

Its by no means just GNE using ancient buses on public sector contracts of course. There's plenty of schools contracts in Durham issued to operators using vehicles 20 years old and beyond. Hopefully with declaring a climate emergency lately, they and others will start to look at stipulating stricter minimum standards on vehicles used for public sector work.

Malarkey

06 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm #71

(06 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm)Adrian

I've just been looking at the fleet list, appreciate this source is not up to date however from a few workings out of what is already withdrawn in fleet there is around 140 vehicles in the fleet that are between 13 and 18 years old.

Around 100 of them are double deckers which are used on Scholars/Misc Works and as already pointed out used in front line service on occasion.

Quite crazy to think in 2019 that operators are still buying vehicles which are past the sell by date for Scholars whereas other operators elsewhere in the country such as Lothian Buses, Blackpool Transport and Nottingham City Transport as examples in the last few years and have heavily invested in their fleets in order to reduce fleet age. Iirc Blackpool Transport annouced earlier in the year there fleet will be replaced every 4 years, so any new vehicles they have purchased in 2019 will be with them until 2023.

I also had a look on Ensign's website earlier and Nottingham City Transport have sold 11 year old Omnidekka's to them following investment in their fleet. Lothian Buses in the last year have gotten rid of all of their Presidents, Omnidekka's along with their B7 Geminis following heavy investment in there fleet.

Absolutely agree with you Adrian that stricter regulations are needed going forward for what buses can be used on contracts such as Scholars/Misc Work, iirc the minimum requirement at the minute is Euro 4, lift that to Euro 5 and introduce as age restriction limit of 10 years old for buses which can be used on those contracts.

Malarkey
06 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm #71

(06 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm)Adrian

I've just been looking at the fleet list, appreciate this source is not up to date however from a few workings out of what is already withdrawn in fleet there is around 140 vehicles in the fleet that are between 13 and 18 years old.

Around 100 of them are double deckers which are used on Scholars/Misc Works and as already pointed out used in front line service on occasion.

Quite crazy to think in 2019 that operators are still buying vehicles which are past the sell by date for Scholars whereas other operators elsewhere in the country such as Lothian Buses, Blackpool Transport and Nottingham City Transport as examples in the last few years and have heavily invested in their fleets in order to reduce fleet age. Iirc Blackpool Transport annouced earlier in the year there fleet will be replaced every 4 years, so any new vehicles they have purchased in 2019 will be with them until 2023.

I also had a look on Ensign's website earlier and Nottingham City Transport have sold 11 year old Omnidekka's to them following investment in their fleet. Lothian Buses in the last year have gotten rid of all of their Presidents, Omnidekka's along with their B7 Geminis following heavy investment in there fleet.

Absolutely agree with you Adrian that stricter regulations are needed going forward for what buses can be used on contracts such as Scholars/Misc Work, iirc the minimum requirement at the minute is Euro 4, lift that to Euro 5 and introduce as age restriction limit of 10 years old for buses which can be used on those contracts.

06 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm #72

(06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm)Citaro5326 East Yorkshire E400MMC is getting painted into Xlines I believe

Whats the interior like on this, is it high spec and matching the new Enviro's?

WestDurhamSwift
06 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm #72

(06 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm)Citaro5326 East Yorkshire E400MMC is getting painted into Xlines I believe

Michael

06 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm #73
(06 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm)Arcticrossy92

I asked the same thing this morning and never got a answer. lol

---------------------

When will the Metrocity enter service on the 53/54?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm #73

(06 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm)Arcticrossy92

I asked the same thing this morning and never got a answer. lol

---------------------

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

06 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm #74

(06 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm)Michael I asked the same thing this morning and never got a answer. lol

---------------------

They’re both ex Demos so have the Demonstrator interiors

NewcastleOne
06 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm #74

(06 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm)Michael I asked the same thing this morning and never got a answer. lol

---------------------

Michael

06 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm #75
(06 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm)NewcastleOne

Once again, we find GNE buying new buses and then deciding to change the times/routes so an extra one is needed, not to the spec of the others............. its pretty annoying tbh

Apart from the Metrocity, which is on loan for demo reasons.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Oct 2019, 8:25 pm #75

(06 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm)NewcastleOne

Once again, we find GNE buying new buses and then deciding to change the times/routes so an extra one is needed, not to the spec of the others............. its pretty annoying tbh

Apart from the Metrocity, which is on loan for demo reasons.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

06 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm #76

---------------------

But to be fair, it has recently been pointed out that this is 'Latest News & Discussion' - not a Q&A thread for employees of the company.

When it enters service, I am sure someone will post about it... likewise when the Enviro enters service, I am sure someone will post details of any interior changes.

Adrian
06 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm #76

---------------------

But to be fair, it has recently been pointed out that this is 'Latest News & Discussion' - not a Q&A thread for employees of the company.

When it enters service, I am sure someone will post about it... likewise when the Enviro enters service, I am sure someone will post details of any interior changes.

06 Oct 2019, 9:09 pm #77
I notice these are standard length Omnidekkas compared the long ones previously received. No doubt replaced by those new ADL deckers.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
06 Oct 2019, 9:09 pm #77

I notice these are standard length Omnidekkas compared the long ones previously received. No doubt replaced by those new ADL deckers.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Michael

06 Oct 2019, 9:15 pm #78
(06 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm)Adrian

Well tbh, it wasn't aimed at GNE employee's, as many enthusiasts know information to.... so hence the question

It'll get the point where no one will post because they'll get moaned at for asking something.... cause that how it seems atm

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Oct 2019, 9:15 pm #78

(06 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm)Adrian

Well tbh, it wasn't aimed at GNE employee's, as many enthusiasts know information to.... so hence the question

It'll get the point where no one will post because they'll get moaned at for asking something.... cause that how it seems atm

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Stanleyone

06 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm #79

(06 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm)Malarkey

Don’t know the answer to this but, are Blackpool, Lothian and Nottingham City transport owned by regional councils, so no shareholders etc?, maybe if true and they weren’t publicly owned then they might need to hold on to buses longer?.

Stanleyone
06 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm #79

(06 Oct 2019, 7:15 pm)Malarkey

Don’t know the answer to this but, are Blackpool, Lothian and Nottingham City transport owned by regional councils, so no shareholders etc?, maybe if true and they weren’t publicly owned then they might need to hold on to buses longer?.

06 Oct 2019, 9:23 pm #80

(06 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm)Stanleyone

Yep all 3 council own but NCT is partly owned by a private company (18%,??)

(06 Oct 2019, 9:09 pm)Rapidsnap I notice these are standard length Omnidekkas compared the long ones previously received. No doubt replaced by those new ADL deckers.

Yep the longer lengths have gone/in the process of going to Go South Coast (BlueStar) for college runs.

Edited 06 Oct 2019, 9:24 pm by NewcastleOne.
NewcastleOne
06 Oct 2019, 9:23 pm #80

(06 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm)Stanleyone

Yep all 3 council own but NCT is partly owned by a private company (18%,??)

(06 Oct 2019, 9:09 pm)Rapidsnap I notice these are standard length Omnidekkas compared the long ones previously received. No doubt replaced by those new ADL deckers.

Yep the longer lengths have gone/in the process of going to Go South Coast (BlueStar) for college runs.

Pages (25) Previous 13 4 525 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average