Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (12) Previous 18 9 1012 Next
mb134

20 Feb 2020, 10:10 am #161
(20 Feb 2020, 5:54 am)GNE6312 In regards to the mention of coaches Ashington used to run some primas on the expresses and they were fine even with their age (V reg) however due to DDA regulations being put into place they had to be stood down and moved over to the training. fleet primas also Done the 685 before being moved to Ashington but even though they had years left in them arriva had to consider the costumers & laws and replace them with the max upgrade but I do think coaches should be brought back.

Those coaches really didn't have all that long left at all. The state of them underneath was shocking. 

Equally, coaches can't handle the loads on the X18 up the coast during the summer. You'd need to look at Interdecks or Panoramas for the capacity needed on the routes in the summer, and they're just not viable at all. Deckers also help with fleet standardisation - E400MMC integrals are more than sufficient - and enable flexibility in allocations.

(20 Feb 2020, 6:17 am)scanialover It's difficult to envisage coaches ever making a return to service work given the DDA regulations and then the impact this could have on timings; it takes time now with conventional low floor vehicles.

The issue of new fleet is a concern as well. Obviously it's speculation and ideas but it all appears to evolve around the Northumbria area. Granted the routes discussed could well be sone of the profitable ones but my concern, being based on Teeside and a regular user of the X93, is that we end up with the cast offs should new fleet be acquired. We've had the experience before and it never worked.

There's currently likely more concern with the Northumbria area fleet due to the Newcastle LEZ. 

Equally, south of the Tyne majority of the fleet still isn't at end of life - bar the B7TLs and a couple of others. You'd imagine they'll replace the Omnis over the next couple of years, then start with bulks of buses again when the 09 plate Pulsars start coming to end of life. 

The only exception is the X93, which could probably do with a batch of vehicles soon - however as pointed out it is probably something they'll struggle to justify when the B9s are only 5.5 years old and the route is very seasonal.
Edited 20 Feb 2020, 10:14 am by mb134.
mb134
20 Feb 2020, 10:10 am #161

(20 Feb 2020, 5:54 am)GNE6312 In regards to the mention of coaches Ashington used to run some primas on the expresses and they were fine even with their age (V reg) however due to DDA regulations being put into place they had to be stood down and moved over to the training. fleet primas also Done the 685 before being moved to Ashington but even though they had years left in them arriva had to consider the costumers & laws and replace them with the max upgrade but I do think coaches should be brought back.

Those coaches really didn't have all that long left at all. The state of them underneath was shocking. 

Equally, coaches can't handle the loads on the X18 up the coast during the summer. You'd need to look at Interdecks or Panoramas for the capacity needed on the routes in the summer, and they're just not viable at all. Deckers also help with fleet standardisation - E400MMC integrals are more than sufficient - and enable flexibility in allocations.

(20 Feb 2020, 6:17 am)scanialover It's difficult to envisage coaches ever making a return to service work given the DDA regulations and then the impact this could have on timings; it takes time now with conventional low floor vehicles.

The issue of new fleet is a concern as well. Obviously it's speculation and ideas but it all appears to evolve around the Northumbria area. Granted the routes discussed could well be sone of the profitable ones but my concern, being based on Teeside and a regular user of the X93, is that we end up with the cast offs should new fleet be acquired. We've had the experience before and it never worked.

There's currently likely more concern with the Northumbria area fleet due to the Newcastle LEZ. 

Equally, south of the Tyne majority of the fleet still isn't at end of life - bar the B7TLs and a couple of others. You'd imagine they'll replace the Omnis over the next couple of years, then start with bulks of buses again when the 09 plate Pulsars start coming to end of life. 

The only exception is the X93, which could probably do with a batch of vehicles soon - however as pointed out it is probably something they'll struggle to justify when the B9s are only 5.5 years old and the route is very seasonal.

Storx

20 Feb 2020, 7:49 pm #162
(20 Feb 2020, 12:45 am)Jimmi Thing is though, Coastliner probs still has a reasonable passenger turnover from passengers heading to/from York & Leeds in the winter whereas I can't seem to say the same for the X93 as Middlesbrough is the closest to those two, Scarborough could compare to York to some extents, maybe Whitby too although less in the way of shops there. X93 likely just gets enough to be sustainable in the winter months.

I'm not sure if this has been done before but surely a way to get around this issue is to upgrade two routes. One bus route which is borderline requires single / deckers capacity and the X93.

Then buy a fleet of DD's and a fleet of singles then just swap them around between the two routes. Maybe the 7. In the winter months have the single fleet on the X93 where the capacity isnt need and the DD fleet on the 7 where traditionally buses are more busy as everyone is working plus christmas shopping etc. Then in the summer take some of the DD's off the 7 and replace them with the singles on the X93 where the X93 is busier with people going on holiday and the seaside whereas the 7 is generally quieter due to the school holidays, bank holidays etc.

Seems the most sensible route rather than wasting deckers all year around on the X93 all year round bar the logistical nightmare. I would've picked a Stockton or Redcar route but don't believe anything there warrants deckers.
Storx
20 Feb 2020, 7:49 pm #162

(20 Feb 2020, 12:45 am)Jimmi Thing is though, Coastliner probs still has a reasonable passenger turnover from passengers heading to/from York & Leeds in the winter whereas I can't seem to say the same for the X93 as Middlesbrough is the closest to those two, Scarborough could compare to York to some extents, maybe Whitby too although less in the way of shops there. X93 likely just gets enough to be sustainable in the winter months.

I'm not sure if this has been done before but surely a way to get around this issue is to upgrade two routes. One bus route which is borderline requires single / deckers capacity and the X93.

Then buy a fleet of DD's and a fleet of singles then just swap them around between the two routes. Maybe the 7. In the winter months have the single fleet on the X93 where the capacity isnt need and the DD fleet on the 7 where traditionally buses are more busy as everyone is working plus christmas shopping etc. Then in the summer take some of the DD's off the 7 and replace them with the singles on the X93 where the X93 is busier with people going on holiday and the seaside whereas the 7 is generally quieter due to the school holidays, bank holidays etc.

Seems the most sensible route rather than wasting deckers all year around on the X93 all year round bar the logistical nightmare. I would've picked a Stockton or Redcar route but don't believe anything there warrants deckers.

Jimmi

20 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm #163
(20 Feb 2020, 7:49 pm)Storx I'm not sure if this has been done before but surely a way to get around this issue is to upgrade two routes. One bus route which is borderline requires single / deckers capacity and the X93.

The Darlington 7 is pretty busy all year round so not the best of solutions, if anything I would actually like to see the 7 get a full double deck allocation during the daytime, one of the two Belmont boards is now booked for a decker on weekdays after I addressed issues with capacity including the morning run to Framwellgate Moor for New College students, deckers certainly required in September when the college year begins with the 5A also usually requiring a decker for the morning Bishop Auckland College run for at least the first month, 7 has been quite busy this week with the schools being off.
Jimmi
20 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm #163

(20 Feb 2020, 7:49 pm)Storx I'm not sure if this has been done before but surely a way to get around this issue is to upgrade two routes. One bus route which is borderline requires single / deckers capacity and the X93.

The Darlington 7 is pretty busy all year round so not the best of solutions, if anything I would actually like to see the 7 get a full double deck allocation during the daytime, one of the two Belmont boards is now booked for a decker on weekdays after I addressed issues with capacity including the morning run to Framwellgate Moor for New College students, deckers certainly required in September when the college year begins with the 5A also usually requiring a decker for the morning Bishop Auckland College run for at least the first month, 7 has been quite busy this week with the schools being off.

20 Feb 2020, 9:04 pm #164
(20 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm)Jimmi The Darlington 7 is pretty busy all year round so not the best of solutions, if anything I would actually like to see the 7 get a full double deck allocation during the daytime, one of the two Belmont boards is now booked for a decker on weekdays after I addressed issues with capacity including the morning run to Framwellgate Moor for New College students, deckers certainly required in September when the college year begins with the 5A also usually requiring a decker for the morning Bishop Auckland College run for at least the first month, 7 has been quite busy this week with the schools being off.
Going off the queue at DBS the 7 always seems busy. It's a nightmare when its running late and I'm waiting for the X21!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
20 Feb 2020, 9:04 pm #164

(20 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm)Jimmi The Darlington 7 is pretty busy all year round so not the best of solutions, if anything I would actually like to see the 7 get a full double deck allocation during the daytime, one of the two Belmont boards is now booked for a decker on weekdays after I addressed issues with capacity including the morning run to Framwellgate Moor for New College students, deckers certainly required in September when the college year begins with the 5A also usually requiring a decker for the morning Bishop Auckland College run for at least the first month, 7 has been quite busy this week with the schools being off.
Going off the queue at DBS the 7 always seems busy. It's a nightmare when its running late and I'm waiting for the X21!

Storx

20 Feb 2020, 9:18 pm #165

Maybe not the best choice of routes I don't really know the area that well I'm from Northumbria. Was originally going to say thr 43/44/45 but the distance between Jesmond and Whitby is probably a bit too far to make it worthwhile.
Storx
20 Feb 2020, 9:18 pm #165

Maybe not the best choice of routes I don't really know the area that well I'm from Northumbria. Was originally going to say thr 43/44/45 but the distance between Jesmond and Whitby is probably a bit too far to make it worthwhile.

GNE6312

20 Feb 2020, 9:58 pm #166
Here is my suggestion:

7x Plaxton panther LEs (with rear axel steering) for the X20 (+2) spare
Features: high backed seats with seat belts, free WiFi, USB charging & wheelchair ramp & bay

6x Plaxton leopards (like the Lothian Country ones) for the X14 (+2 spare)
Features: high backed seats with seat belts, Free WiFi, USB charging, curtains, quiet low emission engine & wheelchair ramp and bay

7x Plaxton panoramas (with rear axel steering) for the X15 (+ 2 spare)
Fearures: high backed seats with seat belts, Free WiFi, Toilets (if facilities in the depot allow), tabels (4 on each deck), USB charging, wireless charging, seat back tray tabels, curtains, quiet low emission engine, wheelchair ramp and bay

Cascades:
7401-6 to Ashington for the X18 (temporarily to mermanent dependent on a sustainable bus/coach being found)
7511/2 kept as spare decker at Ashington replacing 7484/6, 7514-7 to the Belmont for th£ X12 releasing 4 pulsars to blyth replacing 1401-3 with one extra spare, 7529-33 to Redcar/Whitby for the X93 (+2 spare meaning only 1 spare ALX needs allocated in the summer) finally omnis cascaded around the region or country.
GNE6312
20 Feb 2020, 9:58 pm #166

Here is my suggestion:

Features: high backed seats with seat belts, free WiFi, USB charging & wheelchair ramp & bay

Features: high backed seats with seat belts, Free WiFi, USB charging, curtains, quiet low emission engine & wheelchair ramp and bay

Fearures: high backed seats with seat belts, Free WiFi, Toilets (if facilities in the depot allow), tabels (4 on each deck), USB charging, wireless charging, seat back tray tabels, curtains, quiet low emission engine, wheelchair ramp and bay

Cascades:
7401-6 to Ashington for the X18 (temporarily to mermanent dependent on a sustainable bus/coach being found)
7511/2 kept as spare decker at Ashington replacing 7484/6, 7514-7 to the Belmont for th£ X12 releasing 4 pulsars to blyth replacing 1401-3 with one extra spare, 7529-33 to Redcar/Whitby for the X93 (+2 spare meaning only 1 spare ALX needs allocated in the summer) finally omnis cascaded around the region or country.

mb134

20 Feb 2020, 11:14 pm #167
(20 Feb 2020, 9:58 pm)GNE6312 Here is my suggestion:

Cascades:

So:

Coach stock on the X14 - firstly won't have the capacity required on some runs from Newcastle and Morpeth, there's also a board that goes onto a scholars that I believe requires a decker. 

Coach stock on the X20 - again that type of coach doesn't have the capacity for some of the runs between Ashington and Newcastle. 

Coach stock on the X15 is an ideal scenario, but Panoramas are just too much money for that route. Add to that the tight roads into Berwick Rail Station. You also have the issue of not being able to put them anywhere once they're finished on the X15, no other ANE route is really suitable - and by the time they're up for replacement it's anyone's guess what coach operators are wanting/needing. 

That's also far too many on order for each route. The PVR for each route is 3/4/4 respectively - assuming a spare per route (unlikely to require that with new vehicles), even then you'd only need 14 - not 20. 

Further to that 7401-6 to Ashington for why? The E400s on the X18 currently do a good job, and depot standardisation helps with both engineering and operational costs. B9s that have been flogged on the X93 for the same length of time as 7529-33 have been on the X18 will provide little to no benefit - both routes ideally need new vehicles every 5-6 years. 7529-33 going to Redcar makes even less sense, seems like moving buses for the sake of moving buses. 

7484/6 are already on the way to being replaced - I'd imagine once 7446 is back in service that's one gone, and they're due a Streetlite from Jesmond to replace the other. 

The X12, as it stands, doesn't really require deckers - and putting some shot 09 plates on there isn't going to help matters. If Arriva want to grow the X12 the best way is to take some of the newer Pulsars, give them a fresh internal refurb to a high spec and aggressively market it.
mb134
20 Feb 2020, 11:14 pm #167

(20 Feb 2020, 9:58 pm)GNE6312 Here is my suggestion:

Cascades:

So:

Coach stock on the X14 - firstly won't have the capacity required on some runs from Newcastle and Morpeth, there's also a board that goes onto a scholars that I believe requires a decker. 

Coach stock on the X20 - again that type of coach doesn't have the capacity for some of the runs between Ashington and Newcastle. 

Coach stock on the X15 is an ideal scenario, but Panoramas are just too much money for that route. Add to that the tight roads into Berwick Rail Station. You also have the issue of not being able to put them anywhere once they're finished on the X15, no other ANE route is really suitable - and by the time they're up for replacement it's anyone's guess what coach operators are wanting/needing. 

That's also far too many on order for each route. The PVR for each route is 3/4/4 respectively - assuming a spare per route (unlikely to require that with new vehicles), even then you'd only need 14 - not 20. 

Further to that 7401-6 to Ashington for why? The E400s on the X18 currently do a good job, and depot standardisation helps with both engineering and operational costs. B9s that have been flogged on the X93 for the same length of time as 7529-33 have been on the X18 will provide little to no benefit - both routes ideally need new vehicles every 5-6 years. 7529-33 going to Redcar makes even less sense, seems like moving buses for the sake of moving buses. 

7484/6 are already on the way to being replaced - I'd imagine once 7446 is back in service that's one gone, and they're due a Streetlite from Jesmond to replace the other. 

The X12, as it stands, doesn't really require deckers - and putting some shot 09 plates on there isn't going to help matters. If Arriva want to grow the X12 the best way is to take some of the newer Pulsars, give them a fresh internal refurb to a high spec and aggressively market it.

20 Feb 2020, 11:39 pm #168
Anyone know what is happening with 7411 as it has not tracked in a while
Citaro5338
20 Feb 2020, 11:39 pm #168

Anyone know what is happening with 7411 as it has not tracked in a while

Jimmi

20 Feb 2020, 11:49 pm #169
I still don't understand why we didn't go for the B9s from Yorkshire for the summer X93s, 1808 performed well when I rode it on there, sadly fear the fact the engine went during the trial made them an unattractive option compared to the B7s Arriva were gonna get for the North East anyway, so probs thought might as well use them, same spec (with addition of USBs) didn't help those B9s had already been refurbished so wouldn't have been a good case to then refurb them again.

I honestly don't know what Arriva could go with for the X93 now, E400s just die when they see a hill which is in no way ideal on the X93, I wasn't impressed with the StreetDeck demo on the hills either so that leaves not much suitable you could realistically go for, think E400s would have to suffice.
Jimmi
20 Feb 2020, 11:49 pm #169

I still don't understand why we didn't go for the B9s from Yorkshire for the summer X93s, 1808 performed well when I rode it on there, sadly fear the fact the engine went during the trial made them an unattractive option compared to the B7s Arriva were gonna get for the North East anyway, so probs thought might as well use them, same spec (with addition of USBs) didn't help those B9s had already been refurbished so wouldn't have been a good case to then refurb them again.

I honestly don't know what Arriva could go with for the X93 now, E400s just die when they see a hill which is in no way ideal on the X93, I wasn't impressed with the StreetDeck demo on the hills either so that leaves not much suitable you could realistically go for, think E400s would have to suffice.

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 9:52 am #170
(20 Feb 2020, 11:49 pm)Jimmi I still don't understand why we didn't go for the B9s from Yorkshire for the summer X93s, 1808 performed well when I rode it on there, sadly fear the fact the engine went during the trial made them an unattractive option compared to the B7s Arriva were gonna get for the North East anyway, so probs thought might as well use them, same spec (with addition of USBs) didn't help those B9s had already been refurbished so wouldn't have been a good case to then refurb them again.

I think newer E400s would be the best bet for the X93 when it requires new vehicles. 

I've had both 14 and 64 plates on the X18 recently that have performed well up hills and manage to reach 60+ no problem along straights. Wherever I've had an MMC they've also performed well, and I imagine if they were bought for the X93 Arriva would spec the gearbox correctly. 

Add to the fact that Wright build quality was awful before they went under and that we don't have a clue what it'll be like under new ownership, while ADL products now are very solid, everything seems to point to MMCs.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 9:52 am #170

(20 Feb 2020, 11:49 pm)Jimmi I still don't understand why we didn't go for the B9s from Yorkshire for the summer X93s, 1808 performed well when I rode it on there, sadly fear the fact the engine went during the trial made them an unattractive option compared to the B7s Arriva were gonna get for the North East anyway, so probs thought might as well use them, same spec (with addition of USBs) didn't help those B9s had already been refurbished so wouldn't have been a good case to then refurb them again.

I think newer E400s would be the best bet for the X93 when it requires new vehicles. 

I've had both 14 and 64 plates on the X18 recently that have performed well up hills and manage to reach 60+ no problem along straights. Wherever I've had an MMC they've also performed well, and I imagine if they were bought for the X93 Arriva would spec the gearbox correctly. 

Add to the fact that Wright build quality was awful before they went under and that we don't have a clue what it'll be like under new ownership, while ADL products now are very solid, everything seems to point to MMCs.

21 Feb 2020, 10:02 am #171
(21 Feb 2020, 9:52 am)mb134 I think newer E400s would be the best bet for the X93 when it requires new vehicles. 

As long as they don't go for the 4 cylinder they should have plenty of poke. GNE went for the 4 cylinder with their E400s and they feel like they're about to roll back down on the way up Dunston Bank (same with their E200s in Whickham)

As for the quality with Wrightbus, we'll know what it's like under the new owners once GNE eventually receives their StreetDecks. Their 16 plate StreetDecks are pretty shoddy, but the 67 plates are a vast improvement, I can't say what it was like before they went into administration, but it certainly has to be better than what ADL were like a year or two back!

Having said that, so far GNE's E200/E400s have been fairly solid, with the only real issues coming from the awful quick release windows that are more rattly than a Streetlite door!
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 10:02 am #171

(21 Feb 2020, 9:52 am)mb134 I think newer E400s would be the best bet for the X93 when it requires new vehicles. 

As long as they don't go for the 4 cylinder they should have plenty of poke. GNE went for the 4 cylinder with their E400s and they feel like they're about to roll back down on the way up Dunston Bank (same with their E200s in Whickham)

As for the quality with Wrightbus, we'll know what it's like under the new owners once GNE eventually receives their StreetDecks. Their 16 plate StreetDecks are pretty shoddy, but the 67 plates are a vast improvement, I can't say what it was like before they went into administration, but it certainly has to be better than what ADL were like a year or two back!

Having said that, so far GNE's E200/E400s have been fairly solid, with the only real issues coming from the awful quick release windows that are more rattly than a Streetlite door!

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 10:42 am #172
(21 Feb 2020, 10:02 am)streetdeckfan As long as they don't go for the 4 cylinder they should have plenty of poke. GNE went for the 4 cylinder with their E400s and they feel like they're about to roll back down on the way up Dunston Bank (same with their E200s in Whickham)

I believe that ANEs current MMCs are the 6.7L engine so that shouldn't be an issue. 

To be fair I don't think ADL have had poor build quality for a number of years now - the 14 plate E400s onwards seem in good shape, with the 2009 batch possibly the worst offenders. 

To me Wright looked to be doing everything on the cheap for a number of years, the emergency exit door on the Streetlites a prime example. The quick release glass isn't an issue on any of the E400MMCs I've been on, be it Arriva or Stagecoach so I can't comment there.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 10:42 am #172

(21 Feb 2020, 10:02 am)streetdeckfan As long as they don't go for the 4 cylinder they should have plenty of poke. GNE went for the 4 cylinder with their E400s and they feel like they're about to roll back down on the way up Dunston Bank (same with their E200s in Whickham)

I believe that ANEs current MMCs are the 6.7L engine so that shouldn't be an issue. 

To be fair I don't think ADL have had poor build quality for a number of years now - the 14 plate E400s onwards seem in good shape, with the 2009 batch possibly the worst offenders. 

To me Wright looked to be doing everything on the cheap for a number of years, the emergency exit door on the Streetlites a prime example. The quick release glass isn't an issue on any of the E400MMCs I've been on, be it Arriva or Stagecoach so I can't comment there.

21 Feb 2020, 11:00 am #173
(21 Feb 2020, 10:42 am)mb134 I believe that ANEs current MMCs are the 6.7L engine so that shouldn't be an issue. 

I had a ride on Arriva's 17 plate E400MMCs on the X21 and it was a horrific experience, I genuinely had to change buses because I couldn't tolerate the creaking and rattling coming from just about everywhere upstairs. The one I got on the way back was better, but not by much, it was still fairly rattly. The Unilink ones I got down in Southampton were about on par with GNE's so I can't say whether it's the general quality improvements or just Arriva's lack of maintenance.

From what I've been told, the issues with the quick release glass is more to do with them needing adjusting rather than an inherent issue, but all of GNE's E400s, and a few of their E200s have horrendous creaks and rattles coming from the windows, and you can visibly see the windows shaking as it goes over bumps, and if you touch the window, you can feel it flexing.

There's no way I can defend the Streetlites, although bar the emergency door, they do seem alright. The only other rattles I've picked up on are coming from equipment added by operators like displays and those awful Metro boxes that they never seem to secure properly! From my experience at least, if you ignore the emergency door (which admittedly is pretty difficult), the E200s are just as loud as the Streetlites, except they're more creaky than rattly, if that makes sense!

Same with the StreetDecks, as I said before, GNE's 16 plates aren't the best quality wise, but I can't fault their 67 plates, they seem to be screwed together very well! (also, don't be fooled by my name, I'm not oblivious to the many shortcomings of the StreetDecks!)
streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 11:00 am #173

(21 Feb 2020, 10:42 am)mb134 I believe that ANEs current MMCs are the 6.7L engine so that shouldn't be an issue. 

I had a ride on Arriva's 17 plate E400MMCs on the X21 and it was a horrific experience, I genuinely had to change buses because I couldn't tolerate the creaking and rattling coming from just about everywhere upstairs. The one I got on the way back was better, but not by much, it was still fairly rattly. The Unilink ones I got down in Southampton were about on par with GNE's so I can't say whether it's the general quality improvements or just Arriva's lack of maintenance.

From what I've been told, the issues with the quick release glass is more to do with them needing adjusting rather than an inherent issue, but all of GNE's E400s, and a few of their E200s have horrendous creaks and rattles coming from the windows, and you can visibly see the windows shaking as it goes over bumps, and if you touch the window, you can feel it flexing.

There's no way I can defend the Streetlites, although bar the emergency door, they do seem alright. The only other rattles I've picked up on are coming from equipment added by operators like displays and those awful Metro boxes that they never seem to secure properly! From my experience at least, if you ignore the emergency door (which admittedly is pretty difficult), the E200s are just as loud as the Streetlites, except they're more creaky than rattly, if that makes sense!

Same with the StreetDecks, as I said before, GNE's 16 plates aren't the best quality wise, but I can't fault their 67 plates, they seem to be screwed together very well! (also, don't be fooled by my name, I'm not oblivious to the many shortcomings of the StreetDecks!)

mb134

21 Feb 2020, 11:23 am #174
(21 Feb 2020, 11:00 am)streetdeckfan I had a ride on Arriva's 17 plate E400MMCs on the X21 and it was a horrific experience, I genuinely had to change buses because I couldn't tolerate the creaking and rattling coming from just about everywhere upstairs. The one I got on the way back was better, but not by much, it was still fairly rattly. The Unilink ones I got down in Southampton were about on par with GNE's so I can't say whether it's the general quality improvements or just Arriva's lack of maintenance.

I've personally never had any real issues with any MMC in terms of rattles, back home the X21/22 is my main route now and across the batch while there are small rattles across bumps, nothing that would make me question the build quality. In fact, majority of the time when going over rough ground the noise is more of a solid thud - giving the impression that the bus is very much all screwed together well. Stagecoach's MMCs up here are exactly the same I've found, they creak when over rough ground as an entire vehicle rather than one particular part. It is important to remember that the quick release glass is miles better in terms of convenience for operators than traditional bonded glazing or rubber gaskets - the bus can be back on the road in about half an hour in comparison to a number of hours. 

Streetlites have a horrific idle in my experience, particularly the ones I've been on with First. The emergency exit door noise also tends to cloud over other smaller rattles. Other factors such as the horrifically sharp retarder and that it has to be switched off to adjust the steering column give me the impression Wright rushed it out and once the sales came in didn't care about fixing it.
mb134
21 Feb 2020, 11:23 am #174

(21 Feb 2020, 11:00 am)streetdeckfan I had a ride on Arriva's 17 plate E400MMCs on the X21 and it was a horrific experience, I genuinely had to change buses because I couldn't tolerate the creaking and rattling coming from just about everywhere upstairs. The one I got on the way back was better, but not by much, it was still fairly rattly. The Unilink ones I got down in Southampton were about on par with GNE's so I can't say whether it's the general quality improvements or just Arriva's lack of maintenance.

I've personally never had any real issues with any MMC in terms of rattles, back home the X21/22 is my main route now and across the batch while there are small rattles across bumps, nothing that would make me question the build quality. In fact, majority of the time when going over rough ground the noise is more of a solid thud - giving the impression that the bus is very much all screwed together well. Stagecoach's MMCs up here are exactly the same I've found, they creak when over rough ground as an entire vehicle rather than one particular part. It is important to remember that the quick release glass is miles better in terms of convenience for operators than traditional bonded glazing or rubber gaskets - the bus can be back on the road in about half an hour in comparison to a number of hours. 

Streetlites have a horrific idle in my experience, particularly the ones I've been on with First. The emergency exit door noise also tends to cloud over other smaller rattles. Other factors such as the horrifically sharp retarder and that it has to be switched off to adjust the steering column give me the impression Wright rushed it out and once the sales came in didn't care about fixing it.

V514DFT

21 Feb 2020, 1:34 pm #175
Whats the 52/54 like for demand?, could those services warrant deckers?

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
21 Feb 2020, 1:34 pm #175

Whats the 52/54 like for demand?, could those services warrant deckers?

Kind Regards
Tez

BusLoverMum

21 Feb 2020, 6:00 pm #176
The 6 is less in demand over the summer months but gets so busy with students that it could easily add more deckers to its pvr in term time.
BusLoverMum
21 Feb 2020, 6:00 pm #176

The 6 is less in demand over the summer months but gets so busy with students that it could easily add more deckers to its pvr in term time.

L469 YVK

21 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm #177

GNE's E400s are 6 Cylinder, the same as Arriva. The only difference being that GNE's ADL E400MMCs are fitted with ZF gearboxes unlike Arriva & Stagecoach who spec'd theirs with Voith gearboxes.

Only thing I can think why they'd struggle up Dusnton Bank is that an economy setting could be turned on (if a GNE inside would be able to confirm). 

ADL E400MMCs with ZF gearboxes would be more than adequate for most routes Arriva operate. But for the X93, the Scania E400 MMC would perhaps be a more suitable alternative. 7401-04 could then be transferred to Ashington for the X20 with 7405-06 acting as float spares as well as providing extras for the summer PVR increase on the X93.
L469 YVK
21 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm #177

GNE's E400s are 6 Cylinder, the same as Arriva. The only difference being that GNE's ADL E400MMCs are fitted with ZF gearboxes unlike Arriva & Stagecoach who spec'd theirs with Voith gearboxes.

Only thing I can think why they'd struggle up Dusnton Bank is that an economy setting could be turned on (if a GNE inside would be able to confirm). 

ADL E400MMCs with ZF gearboxes would be more than adequate for most routes Arriva operate. But for the X93, the Scania E400 MMC would perhaps be a more suitable alternative. 7401-04 could then be transferred to Ashington for the X20 with 7405-06 acting as float spares as well as providing extras for the summer PVR increase on the X93.

Jimmi

21 Feb 2020, 11:09 pm #178
(21 Feb 2020, 6:00 pm)BusLoverMum The 6 is less in demand over the summer months but gets so busy with students that it could easily add more deckers to its pvr in term time.
Some 6 boards interwork with scholars services that require double deckers so only really be able to move them around in the summer holidays.
Jimmi
21 Feb 2020, 11:09 pm #178

(21 Feb 2020, 6:00 pm)BusLoverMum The 6 is less in demand over the summer months but gets so busy with students that it could easily add more deckers to its pvr in term time.
Some 6 boards interwork with scholars services that require double deckers so only really be able to move them around in the summer holidays.

21 Feb 2020, 11:41 pm #179
(21 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm)L469 YVK GNE's E400s are 6 Cylinder, the same as Arriva. The only difference being that GNE's ADL E400MMCs are fitted with ZF gearboxes unlike Arriva & Stagecoach who spec'd theirs with Voith gearboxes.

My mistake. I thought I read that they went with the 4 cylinder. Makes it more strange that they seem pretty gutless. Even the 4 cylinder StreetDecks (GNE's 67 plates at least) feel like they have more power on the hills.
I remember just after they closed Crook and all the CLS drivers were let out barely knowing the X21 route and one took a wrong turn in Bishop and ended up down Newton Cap Bank, they turned around half way down and drove straight back up with no problem

To be fair though Dunston Bank is pretty steep, I certainly wouldn't want to walk up that's for sure!

streetdeckfan
21 Feb 2020, 11:41 pm #179

(21 Feb 2020, 10:14 pm)L469 YVK GNE's E400s are 6 Cylinder, the same as Arriva. The only difference being that GNE's ADL E400MMCs are fitted with ZF gearboxes unlike Arriva & Stagecoach who spec'd theirs with Voith gearboxes.

My mistake. I thought I read that they went with the 4 cylinder. Makes it more strange that they seem pretty gutless. Even the 4 cylinder StreetDecks (GNE's 67 plates at least) feel like they have more power on the hills.
I remember just after they closed Crook and all the CLS drivers were let out barely knowing the X21 route and one took a wrong turn in Bishop and ended up down Newton Cap Bank, they turned around half way down and drove straight back up with no problem

To be fair though Dunston Bank is pretty steep, I certainly wouldn't want to walk up that's for sure!

Big O

22 Feb 2020, 11:32 am #180
I know I've asked before but are the B9TLs due to transfer to another Arriva NE garage and if so, where?
Big O
22 Feb 2020, 11:32 am #180

I know I've asked before but are the B9TLs due to transfer to another Arriva NE garage and if so, where?

Pages (12) Previous 18 9 1012 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average