Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (12) Previous 14 5 612 Next
tvd

14 Feb 2020, 10:45 am #81
(14 Feb 2020, 7:10 am)scanialover The inevitability of bus travel these days and despite my grumble about service 63 being from the area I know just how difficult it is to maintain time. I'd thought of things like turning late running services short and some sort of radio control management but this is Middlesbrough not London and it's just best, a fact, we stick with what we've got.

Radios would help, but years ago they did things like you suggest,
curtailing services, running empty to catch uptime and such like just by communication with other drivers and local inspectors.

The trouble these days is less inspectors to manage these things, and less frequent services - meaning they can’t cut out parts of the route because in many cases it would mean too long for those areas to get another bus.
tvd
14 Feb 2020, 10:45 am #81

(14 Feb 2020, 7:10 am)scanialover The inevitability of bus travel these days and despite my grumble about service 63 being from the area I know just how difficult it is to maintain time. I'd thought of things like turning late running services short and some sort of radio control management but this is Middlesbrough not London and it's just best, a fact, we stick with what we've got.

Radios would help, but years ago they did things like you suggest,
curtailing services, running empty to catch uptime and such like just by communication with other drivers and local inspectors.

The trouble these days is less inspectors to manage these things, and less frequent services - meaning they can’t cut out parts of the route because in many cases it would mean too long for those areas to get another bus.

14 Feb 2020, 10:47 am #82
So what's the point of being in business if you can't afford to be ? How much would a radio network cost , pitch that against how more reliable and effective services would be. I don't know just how depots (Arriva) keep in touch with their drivers Mobile phones perhaps? It all sounds a bit archaic, quite honestly.
scanialover
14 Feb 2020, 10:47 am #82

So what's the point of being in business if you can't afford to be ? How much would a radio network cost , pitch that against how more reliable and effective services would be. I don't know just how depots (Arriva) keep in touch with their drivers Mobile phones perhaps? It all sounds a bit archaic, quite honestly.

14 Feb 2020, 10:55 am #83
(14 Feb 2020, 10:47 am)scanialover So what's the point of being in business if you can't afford to be ? How much would a radio network cost , pitch that against how more reliable and effective services would be. I don't know just how depots (Arriva) keep in touch with their drivers Mobile phones perhaps? It all sounds a bit archaic, quite honestly.

The issue is Arriva's owners seeming want to invest as little as possible in it, so anything is too much.
Yes, drivers have to stop the bus and get off to use their mobile if they need to get in touch with the depot (we had an issue with the ticket machine not accepting cards pre-ticketer upgrade, and a passenger wasnt happy about it as he had no cash, so she had to call up to ask what to do)
Not sure how it would work the other way round, I guess if their phone rights they just check it at the next stop.
Although iirc the ticket machines have a messaging function on them so maybe that's how they do it now

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
14 Feb 2020, 10:55 am #83

(14 Feb 2020, 10:47 am)scanialover So what's the point of being in business if you can't afford to be ? How much would a radio network cost , pitch that against how more reliable and effective services would be. I don't know just how depots (Arriva) keep in touch with their drivers Mobile phones perhaps? It all sounds a bit archaic, quite honestly.

The issue is Arriva's owners seeming want to invest as little as possible in it, so anything is too much.
Yes, drivers have to stop the bus and get off to use their mobile if they need to get in touch with the depot (we had an issue with the ticket machine not accepting cards pre-ticketer upgrade, and a passenger wasnt happy about it as he had no cash, so she had to call up to ask what to do)
Not sure how it would work the other way round, I guess if their phone rights they just check it at the next stop.
Although iirc the ticket machines have a messaging function on them so maybe that's how they do it now

14 Feb 2020, 11:04 am #84
(14 Feb 2020, 10:55 am)streetdeckfan The issue is Arriva's owners seeming want to invest as little as possible in it, so anything is too much.
Yes, drivers have to stop the bus and get off to  use their mobile if they need to get in touch with the depot (we had an issue with the ticket machine not accepting cards pre-ticketer upgrade, and a passenger wasnt happy about it as he had no cash, so she had to call up to ask what to do)

Drivers get flagged down at places with Arriva offices to convey the message.

1499 now carries a substantial amount of blue...wonder who's idea that was! Smile
Edited 14 Feb 2020, 11:12 am by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
14 Feb 2020, 11:04 am #84

(14 Feb 2020, 10:55 am)streetdeckfan The issue is Arriva's owners seeming want to invest as little as possible in it, so anything is too much.
Yes, drivers have to stop the bus and get off to  use their mobile if they need to get in touch with the depot (we had an issue with the ticket machine not accepting cards pre-ticketer upgrade, and a passenger wasnt happy about it as he had no cash, so she had to call up to ask what to do)

Drivers get flagged down at places with Arriva offices to convey the message.

1499 now carries a substantial amount of blue...wonder who's idea that was! Smile

Storx

14 Feb 2020, 11:15 am #85
(13 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm)Jimmi I have to agree about lack of ambition for trying new things especially routes, about the last real attempt Arriva gave a go at was the X1 from Darlington and that only happened as GNE introduced the competing OK1 service. About the only real changes in the last few years have been a few frequency increases and combining or altering of routes to make some form of improvements.

Arriva seem to be the worst for this atm, very little has changed and it feels as if nothing much is being done to combat the issues going on with things like timekeeping on routes, even with congestion increasing I still can't fathom why the Sapphire 7 seems to have so many issues sticking to time lately and is forever running in twos lately, the last month of service I've encountered from Arriva has been poor to say the least, nearly missed trains as a result of drivers crawling around the routes or just faffing about making services fall behind schedule or timetables that don't meet demands some of which I've expressed problems with for many years now.

Stagecoach has likely been the most ambitious recently with services of the big three with introducing the X24 plus that Saturday only X55 which didn't perform well but hey at least they gave it a go and of course that open top 'Seasider' service although must give GNE  a mention for the Toon Tour even if it was just a replacement of sorts for the City Sightseeing tour. Hodgsons has done a bit since picking up some North Yorkshire tendered work including adding some extra runs to those services. Arriva have lacked this I feel, closest I feel was the 57/57A/58 changes in Durham recently and that was only because Scarlet Band seemingly didn't want to run the 58 anymore.

I weirdly have to totally disagree with this from north of the Tyne in N Tyneside and SE Northumberland point of view. GNE is by far by a country mile the worst. Summary of it from around here's point view.

Arriva
Extended 57A to Ashington on Sundays which I believe is ran commercially now
51A to Holystone
43 extended to Morpeth
306 extension to Whitley Bay
New Blyth peak expresses
Experimented with later buses on X10/X11 (didn't work)
Extended 1 to Widdrington
Not many new buses recently bar the few for X21/X22 but nothing downgraded.
Talking tour on Seahouses summer buses.
No big cuts to services in past 5 years bar the odd early or late service.

Stagecoach (Not really their area).
Extended 22 and 1 to Cobalt
Seaside bus in North Tyneside

GoNorthEast

Extended the 1 to Metro Centre via the world but cut Kibblesworth in the process.
Extended 11 to Newcastle (didn't work).
Cut 309/10 to every 20 minutes.
Cut 9 from Sunderland to South Shields (5) which then got cut altogether.
Scrapped across town links with 58.
No new buses but Cobalt's refurbished.
Indigo / Little Coasters downgraded buses.
40/41/42/42A is about to get butchered - again.
11/19/40/41/42/42A only day time services since they've lost the night subsidies.
309 last bus getting earlier and earlier.
No mentionable improvements to services at all. Literally I can't think of one enhancement to timetables.

I guess it just depends on where you live on what people think. The Northumbria Arriva has always been more proactive that the Durham / Tees division though. I could imagine people in certain parts of Sunderland not having glowing reviews or either GNE or Stagecoach depending on the area.
Storx
14 Feb 2020, 11:15 am #85

(13 Feb 2020, 9:12 pm)Jimmi I have to agree about lack of ambition for trying new things especially routes, about the last real attempt Arriva gave a go at was the X1 from Darlington and that only happened as GNE introduced the competing OK1 service. About the only real changes in the last few years have been a few frequency increases and combining or altering of routes to make some form of improvements.

Arriva seem to be the worst for this atm, very little has changed and it feels as if nothing much is being done to combat the issues going on with things like timekeeping on routes, even with congestion increasing I still can't fathom why the Sapphire 7 seems to have so many issues sticking to time lately and is forever running in twos lately, the last month of service I've encountered from Arriva has been poor to say the least, nearly missed trains as a result of drivers crawling around the routes or just faffing about making services fall behind schedule or timetables that don't meet demands some of which I've expressed problems with for many years now.

Stagecoach has likely been the most ambitious recently with services of the big three with introducing the X24 plus that Saturday only X55 which didn't perform well but hey at least they gave it a go and of course that open top 'Seasider' service although must give GNE  a mention for the Toon Tour even if it was just a replacement of sorts for the City Sightseeing tour. Hodgsons has done a bit since picking up some North Yorkshire tendered work including adding some extra runs to those services. Arriva have lacked this I feel, closest I feel was the 57/57A/58 changes in Durham recently and that was only because Scarlet Band seemingly didn't want to run the 58 anymore.

I weirdly have to totally disagree with this from north of the Tyne in N Tyneside and SE Northumberland point of view. GNE is by far by a country mile the worst. Summary of it from around here's point view.

Arriva
Extended 57A to Ashington on Sundays which I believe is ran commercially now
51A to Holystone
43 extended to Morpeth
New Blyth peak expresses
Extended 1 to Widdrington
Talking tour on Seahouses summer buses.
No big cuts to services in past 5 years bar the odd early or late service.

GoNorthEast

Extended the 1 to Metro Centre via the world but cut Kibblesworth in the process.
11/19/40/41/42/42A only day time services since they've lost the night subsidies.
No mentionable improvements to services at all. Literally I can't think of one enhancement to timetables.

I guess it just depends on where you live on what people think. The Northumbria Arriva has always been more proactive that the Durham / Tees division though. I could imagine people in certain parts of Sunderland not having glowing reviews or either GNE or Stagecoach depending on the area.

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Feb 2020, 11:17 am #86
(14 Feb 2020, 11:04 am)omnicity4659 1499 now carries a substantial amount of blue...wonder who's idea that was! Smile

It was the NHS’ idea. This is how it was always intended to be branded, with Go North East’s 729 and 730 expected to carry a similar livery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
14 Feb 2020, 11:17 am #86

(14 Feb 2020, 11:04 am)omnicity4659 1499 now carries a substantial amount of blue...wonder who's idea that was! Smile

It was the NHS’ idea. This is how it was always intended to be branded, with Go North East’s 729 and 730 expected to carry a similar livery.

RobinHood

14 Feb 2020, 11:22 am #87

The ETM does have a messaging system yep, so direct contact is available and used as much as radio systems.
RobinHood
14 Feb 2020, 11:22 am #87

The ETM does have a messaging system yep, so direct contact is available and used as much as radio systems.

Rob44

14 Feb 2020, 11:42 am #88
re some of the comment above....

1) waiting at durham bus station for 2 hours for a 21 to low fell. Asked 6+ drivers GNE if they could radio control and see what the crack was. All said radio not working so what's the point?
2) running buses on empty to catch up... 21 ( AGAIN) sanding in low fell in the rain, waited 15 minutes for a ? 12 minute service... bus appears.... not in service but empty. Next 2 buses in service but full. 4th bus managed to get on and pay £5 quid for the privilege of standing all the way to newcastle. Time from standing at bus stop to arriving in Newcastle 1 hour 10 minutes.
Rob44
14 Feb 2020, 11:42 am #88

re some of the comment above....

1) waiting at durham bus station for 2 hours for a 21 to low fell. Asked 6+ drivers GNE if they could radio control and see what the crack was. All said radio not working so what's the point?
2) running buses on empty to catch up... 21 ( AGAIN) sanding in low fell in the rain, waited 15 minutes for a ? 12 minute service... bus appears.... not in service but empty. Next 2 buses in service but full. 4th bus managed to get on and pay £5 quid for the privilege of standing all the way to newcastle. Time from standing at bus stop to arriving in Newcastle 1 hour 10 minutes.

14 Feb 2020, 11:51 am #89
What is ETM? I always though that Arriva buses had some kind of tracking system that allowed some form of contact with the depot? It wasn't the most reliable and probably much the same as the present radio systems. There is a saying here? It is what it is.
scanialover
14 Feb 2020, 11:51 am #89

What is ETM? I always though that Arriva buses had some kind of tracking system that allowed some form of contact with the depot? It wasn't the most reliable and probably much the same as the present radio systems. There is a saying here? It is what it is.

Lottie332

14 Feb 2020, 3:18 pm #90
Is it true that redcar tesma Avenue 4705 is at Belmont
Lottie332
14 Feb 2020, 3:18 pm #90

Is it true that redcar tesma Avenue 4705 is at Belmont

Andreos1

14 Feb 2020, 3:57 pm #91
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...arlington/

Darlington ops haven't had much of a mention (jimmi aside).

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Feb 2020, 3:57 pm #91

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...arlington/

Darlington ops haven't had much of a mention (jimmi aside).

Rob44

14 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm #92
They said to attract more passengers bus fares needed to be significantly cheaper than taxis or driving.

Nail on head
Rob44
14 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm #92

They said to attract more passengers bus fares needed to be significantly cheaper than taxis or driving.

Nail on head

cbma06

14 Feb 2020, 5:00 pm #93
1498 broke down today next to the stone bridge near houghall college heading from Durham , must of been on the 56 or X12, causing one lane blocked causing tailback, should of pushed a bus length then it would of been in the bus stop lay-by

cbma06
14 Feb 2020, 5:00 pm #93

1498 broke down today next to the stone bridge near houghall college heading from Durham , must of been on the 56 or X12, causing one lane blocked causing tailback, should of pushed a bus length then it would of been in the bus stop lay-by

Andreos1

14 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm #94
(14 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm)Rob44 They said to attract more passengers bus fares needed to be significantly cheaper than taxis or driving.

Nail on head

Passengers keep getting told that fares are attractive and value for money. 
Passengers keep telling operators they're not.
Passenger numbers keep on dropping

Passengers keep getting told that to get anywhere, they need to adapt to suit the whims of the operator. 
Passengers keep telling the operators they want a bus that suits them, not the whims of the operator. 
Passenger numbers keep on dropping.

Something has to give. Surely?

At what point do operators turn around and acknowledge that a lot of what they're doing (not everything - some of it is good), isn't benefiting passengers and that is one of the reasons numbers are dropping?

At what point do they then do something about it and make changes which benefit passengers and doesn't contain the sort of spin Downing St would be proud of?

Self congratulary back patting can only go so far.

Andreos1
14 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm #94

(14 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm)Rob44 They said to attract more passengers bus fares needed to be significantly cheaper than taxis or driving.

Nail on head

Passengers keep getting told that fares are attractive and value for money. 

Passengers keep getting told that to get anywhere, they need to adapt to suit the whims of the operator. 
Passengers keep telling the operators they want a bus that suits them, not the whims of the operator. 

At what point do operators turn around and acknowledge that a lot of what they're doing (not everything - some of it is good), isn't benefiting passengers and that is one of the reasons numbers are dropping?

At what point do they then do something about it and make changes which benefit passengers and doesn't contain the sort of spin Downing St would be proud of?

tvd

14 Feb 2020, 5:56 pm #95
(14 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm)Andreos1 Passengers keep getting told that fares are attractive and value for money. 

I was one of Arriva's best customers up till a few years ago when they cut evening buses which I needed to get home from work. I bought a weekly ticket , £28 or thereabouts, and I contacted Arriva to tell them I'd have to make alternative travel arrangements if they made the cuts to the service. They actually said to me that they hadn't thought that people in my situation would not make the journey in by bus earlier in the day if they couldnt get home by bus!

I suggested having a slightly shorter route, having just a couple of journeys, using smaller buses on a night...but nothing. It was a case of if the council stop the subsidy, the buses are gone. End of story.

So I had to make other arrangements and although I have days out on the bus now and again, Arriva have basically lost out on all those £28 weekly tickets ever since. Other people must have been in similar situations too, but I'm a bus enthusiast who'd like to use them as much as possible: how do they or the industry genuinely think they will attract new passengers, when they struggle to hold onto the ones they've got?
tvd
14 Feb 2020, 5:56 pm #95

(14 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm)Andreos1 Passengers keep getting told that fares are attractive and value for money. 

I was one of Arriva's best customers up till a few years ago when they cut evening buses which I needed to get home from work. I bought a weekly ticket , £28 or thereabouts, and I contacted Arriva to tell them I'd have to make alternative travel arrangements if they made the cuts to the service. They actually said to me that they hadn't thought that people in my situation would not make the journey in by bus earlier in the day if they couldnt get home by bus!

I suggested having a slightly shorter route, having just a couple of journeys, using smaller buses on a night...but nothing. It was a case of if the council stop the subsidy, the buses are gone. End of story.

So I had to make other arrangements and although I have days out on the bus now and again, Arriva have basically lost out on all those £28 weekly tickets ever since. Other people must have been in similar situations too, but I'm a bus enthusiast who'd like to use them as much as possible: how do they or the industry genuinely think they will attract new passengers, when they struggle to hold onto the ones they've got?

14 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm #96
Sadly one thing we are stuck with where bus travel is concerned is that it just isn't financially viable to operate services just for a few passengers. It's a nice idea but then of the costings involved, drivers hours alone, wouldn't come anywhere near the odd few fares realised. Then we need to look at the safety implications of operating such services. Running vehicles into danger zones just isn't sensible in my eyes, one smashed window can cost a small fortune to replace, a life, I don't want to sound macabre, irreplaceable!

A Shame, and don't please,take this the wrong way those who wish / need to travel on an evening but these are the cold, hard facts we are stuck; a sad indictment of how times have had to change.
scanialover
14 Feb 2020, 7:25 pm #96

Sadly one thing we are stuck with where bus travel is concerned is that it just isn't financially viable to operate services just for a few passengers. It's a nice idea but then of the costings involved, drivers hours alone, wouldn't come anywhere near the odd few fares realised. Then we need to look at the safety implications of operating such services. Running vehicles into danger zones just isn't sensible in my eyes, one smashed window can cost a small fortune to replace, a life, I don't want to sound macabre, irreplaceable!

A Shame, and don't please,take this the wrong way those who wish / need to travel on an evening but these are the cold, hard facts we are stuck; a sad indictment of how times have had to change.

L469 YVK

14 Feb 2020, 7:30 pm #97
(14 Feb 2020, 11:15 am)Storx I weirdly have to totally disagree with this from north of the Tyne in N Tyneside and SE Northumberland point of view. GNE is by far by a country mile the worst. Summary of it from around here's point view.

Arriva
*Pointless, could just go to Tynemouth to improve reliability. Marden could be served by extended 51A Mon-Sat.

New Blyth peak expresses
* Should these not be running all day? X8 needs split in Cramlington on that note, takes far too long to Newcastle for people in Bebside & Cowpen. 

* Could've easily created a 43E out of this to make it viable but just came up with excuses when I contacted them. They later did the same with the 308

* No new buses since, Blyth fleet needs replacing soon and Jesmond is a joke!

No big cuts to services in past 5 

* Fair enough
* Fair enough

GoNorthEast
* Only ran during evenings

* Was an oddball as was the 57, better just having a streamlined 1 & 1A service.

* Makes sense particularly outside of peaks and won't be long before Arriva follow suit. GNE still run the 309 slightly more frequently to and from Cobalt during peaks as well as X39.

* Fair enough

* Most prefer Haymarket and as mentioned before, new 311 coordinates better with 309 & 310 as well as extra capacity.

* And to a high standard compared to the makeshift replacements the 308 got in exchange for the Hybrids.

* Fair enough

* 2145 extended to Blyth in 2016
* Mon-Sat 1925 extended to Blyth in 2016
* New 1905 journey on Saturdays formed in 2016
* 2245 now runs on Sundays too
* Improved 20 min service between Newcastle and Battle Hill during evenings
* 2255 Blyth to New York re-introduced Mon-Sat and 2155 Sun & BH
* Extra evening running time & layover to improve reliability

L469 YVK
14 Feb 2020, 7:30 pm #97

(14 Feb 2020, 11:15 am)Storx I weirdly have to totally disagree with this from north of the Tyne in N Tyneside and SE Northumberland point of view. GNE is by far by a country mile the worst. Summary of it from around here's point view.

Arriva
*Pointless, could just go to Tynemouth to improve reliability. Marden could be served by extended 51A Mon-Sat.

New Blyth peak expresses
* Should these not be running all day? X8 needs split in Cramlington on that note, takes far too long to Newcastle for people in Bebside & Cowpen. 

* Could've easily created a 43E out of this to make it viable but just came up with excuses when I contacted them. They later did the same with the 308

* Fair enough
* Fair enough

GoNorthEast

* Was an oddball as was the 57, better just having a streamlined 1 & 1A service.

* Makes sense particularly outside of peaks and won't be long before Arriva follow suit. GNE still run the 309 slightly more frequently to and from Cobalt during peaks as well as X39.

* Fair enough

* Most prefer Haymarket and as mentioned before, new 311 coordinates better with 309 & 310 as well as extra capacity.

* And to a high standard compared to the makeshift replacements the 308 got in exchange for the Hybrids.

* Fair enough

Charles41

14 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm #98
Here's my take on Arriva in Northumberland since 1990:

Berwick - Depot and bus station closed. Local services in the town given up.
Wooler - Depot closed entire operation given up.
Alnwick - Depot closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Morpeth - Depot closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Rothbury - Depot and bus station closed. Services reduced.
Whitley Bay -Depot and bus station closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Newcastle Gallogate - Depot, offices and works all closed.
Hexham - Operation passed to GNE. Haltwhistle and Allendale outstations closed.

Investment in a new depot at Ashington. But customer facilities at the replacement bus station are rather lacking.

Blyth still has the same depot and bus station.

Feel free to draw your conclusions.

Charles
Charles41
14 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm #98

Here's my take on Arriva in Northumberland since 1990:

Berwick - Depot and bus station closed. Local services in the town given up.
Wooler - Depot closed entire operation given up.
Alnwick - Depot closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Morpeth - Depot closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Rothbury - Depot and bus station closed. Services reduced.
Whitley Bay -Depot and bus station closed. Town services significantly reduced.
Newcastle Gallogate - Depot, offices and works all closed.
Hexham - Operation passed to GNE. Haltwhistle and Allendale outstations closed.

Investment in a new depot at Ashington. But customer facilities at the replacement bus station are rather lacking.

Blyth still has the same depot and bus station.

Feel free to draw your conclusions.

Charles

Storx

14 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm #99
L483YVK Arriva
** It's still an enhancement, more places example from Blyth / Cramlington who want to travel through have an option on day tickets.

New Blyth peak expresses
** Maybe but it's still an improvement them existing they didn't exist before hand.

** It was more the inward journey that was the problem, it carried fresh air.

** They maybe old but GNE's Percy Main's depot aren't particularly much newer on the main which does North Tyneside. 

* Fair enough
* Fair enough

GoNorthEast
** My mistake there.

** It's a cut to North Tyneside / SE Northumberland. Someone in South Beach or Verne Road doesn't care about the X39 not to mention the buses they lost to actually for these services in the past (The Centurion). Monkseaton doesn't have a bus to Newcastle at all now but that's out the 5 year window I said. Looking back earlier it's even worse.

* Fair enough

** Haymarket true, it's still a link lost.

* Fair enough

Commented above with ** remember these are from a North Tyneside / SE Northumberland perspective so having 25 buses or 4 buses going along the Coast Road won't affect them. I wasn't attacking GNE there it's just genuinely what's happened in the area whereas you've got a major bias towards GNE.

GNE might be good in Consett, Hexham and Gateshead but in Sunderland and North Tyneside they've been butchering away at services for awhile now with little improvements on the main.
Storx
14 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm #99

L483YVK Arriva
** It's still an enhancement, more places example from Blyth / Cramlington who want to travel through have an option on day tickets.

New Blyth peak expresses
** Maybe but it's still an improvement them existing they didn't exist before hand.

** It was more the inward journey that was the problem, it carried fresh air.

** They maybe old but GNE's Percy Main's depot aren't particularly much newer on the main which does North Tyneside. 

* Fair enough
* Fair enough

GoNorthEast
** My mistake there.

** It's a cut to North Tyneside / SE Northumberland. Someone in South Beach or Verne Road doesn't care about the X39 not to mention the buses they lost to actually for these services in the past (The Centurion). Monkseaton doesn't have a bus to Newcastle at all now but that's out the 5 year window I said. Looking back earlier it's even worse.

* Fair enough

** Haymarket true, it's still a link lost.

* Fair enough

Commented above with ** remember these are from a North Tyneside / SE Northumberland perspective so having 25 buses or 4 buses going along the Coast Road won't affect them. I wasn't attacking GNE there it's just genuinely what's happened in the area whereas you've got a major bias towards GNE.

GNE might be good in Consett, Hexham and Gateshead but in Sunderland and North Tyneside they've been butchering away at services for awhile now with little improvements on the main.

L469 YVK

14 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm #100
(14 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm)Storx Commented above with ** remember these are from a North Tyneside / SE Northumberland perspective so having 25 buses or 4 buses going along the Coast Road won't affect them. I wasn't attacking GNE there it's just genuinely what's happened in the area whereas you've got a major bias towards GNE.

I get your point. Yes the vehicles aren't exactly new on the likes of the Coaster but if you look at Arriva, you have 59 & 61 plate VDL Geminis running Blyth's "goldmine" routes (X10/ X11/308) plus any other ex London / Yorkshire cast-offs that pop up from time.

GNE have 8 & 9 year old B9TLs on the X1 (due to be replaced) and 7 year old B9TLs on the TVT (due to be refurbished) but in their defence, these are heavy duty vehicles and more durable than the likes of the VDL Gemini (would also say E400s too but they have come on massively over the years)

The Coaster is a very funny route as although it needs capacity from time to time (Metro off, Mouth of Tyne, Nice Weatheretc), it doesn't need it all the time and at least GNE are investing in these service with engine modifications.  The Coaster also now has to compete with a very attractive 22 service betwen Churchill / Rosehill and Newcastle.

In terms of the 309 & 310, whilst a 15 minute frequency was 'nice', a 20 minute frequency is still relatively frequent and although GNE may lose out on some discretionary travellers, at least they'll only have the cost of running 21 vehicles (Cobalts & 57) on the road (rather than 25) when things are a tad on the quiet side.
L469 YVK
14 Feb 2020, 8:43 pm #100

(14 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm)Storx Commented above with ** remember these are from a North Tyneside / SE Northumberland perspective so having 25 buses or 4 buses going along the Coast Road won't affect them. I wasn't attacking GNE there it's just genuinely what's happened in the area whereas you've got a major bias towards GNE.

I get your point. Yes the vehicles aren't exactly new on the likes of the Coaster but if you look at Arriva, you have 59 & 61 plate VDL Geminis running Blyth's "goldmine" routes (X10/ X11/308) plus any other ex London / Yorkshire cast-offs that pop up from time.

GNE have 8 & 9 year old B9TLs on the X1 (due to be replaced) and 7 year old B9TLs on the TVT (due to be refurbished) but in their defence, these are heavy duty vehicles and more durable than the likes of the VDL Gemini (would also say E400s too but they have come on massively over the years)

The Coaster is a very funny route as although it needs capacity from time to time (Metro off, Mouth of Tyne, Nice Weatheretc), it doesn't need it all the time and at least GNE are investing in these service with engine modifications.  The Coaster also now has to compete with a very attractive 22 service betwen Churchill / Rosehill and Newcastle.

In terms of the 309 & 310, whilst a 15 minute frequency was 'nice', a 20 minute frequency is still relatively frequent and although GNE may lose out on some discretionary travellers, at least they'll only have the cost of running 21 vehicles (Cobalts & 57) on the road (rather than 25) when things are a tad on the quiet side.

Pages (12) Previous 14 5 612 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average